Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Do you think it was even a good idea to call it Bioshock?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I understand it must be for sells purposes, but I wish it was more than that, where Infinite and the first two Bioshock games were actually connected canonically. I kind of just hate how it's not. Actually, I don't know if it is. Does anyone know if it is or not? I remember just hearing that it probably isn't. Why couldn't they just name it something else? I know this has been brought up before, but I thought I'd do so again. Alright, Bioshock is finally installed, see ya!

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Packie

I do remember Levine saying that it was because they're thematically similar that they kept the name, kinda like Final Fantasy. That and market recognition.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vinsanityv22

Concerning Bioshock/Bioshock 2: I think it's fine. I mean, it's the spiritual successor to System Shock, so they had to communicate that. But it's not just about advertising it; it's got the same DNA. Might as well be called BioShock.

Now, Bioshock Infinite is full of shit though. That should be a new -Shock entirely. "AeroShock" or something - the System denoted that that game was about the hi-tech environment, the Bio denotes that it's about the aquatic one. This new game should have a name that denotes it takes place in the skies. The ONLY reason it's called Bioshock ANYTHING is to capitalize on the strength of the brand. That's a marketing decision, not Irrational's - I'd bet my ass on it.

Also, shouldn't it be Bioshock: Infinity? Not only does Infinite not roll off the tongue, but it means nothing - there's no such thing as "A Bioshock". How can there be an infinite number of them?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

It's a great game...damn it, now i want to play it. Anyway, i like the name.

LOZZAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By LOZZAT

Despite what they may want me to call it, I will forever call it Skyoshock.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Barrock

I think it was a case of the publisher wanting them to keep it because of recognition. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tie in somewhere.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Brians

Marketing....Name Recognition, Yes.

Colt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Colt

You realize if Bioshock wasn't in the name, everyone would just complain how its just ripping off what worked for bioshock.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By AngelN7

@Colt said:

You realize if Bioshock wasn't in the name, everyone would just complain how its just ripping off what worked for bioshock.

This pretty much , its kinda funny and something really frustrating to developers in how you can't never please gamers with that kind of stuff.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By razkazz

The prefix "Bio" doesn't have any connection to the sea, so the name is just as appropriate for Infinite as it was for the first two games.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stete

I don't mind but I think it would have been nicer if they called it something else under the prefix of -shock (but definitely not Sky-o-shock...where you play as a guy-o-shock), after all even if they did own the rights I doubt they would have named Bioshock as System Shock 3. Although if it takes place in the same universe as Bioshock then that would make total sense. But does it? Does it not? Well find out in February I guess.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By jonnyboy

Yes, because money.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder  Online

I am very certain that you teleport (or whatever) to Rapture, or perhaps characters from Bioshock appear in the game; it seems like a very Ken Levine thing to do. I doubt it's purely because of marketing.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

I was just saying it would have been nice if it wasn't called Bioshock if it's not even related. You have System Shock, and from what I've heard, it's somewhat similar to Bioshock (or the other way around), and that was acceptable, now why would you need to call this one Bioshock? I'm not saying I hate the name, I'm just saying, don't do it for sales reasons. I don't think just because the game will be similar, it's acceptable to give it the same name. Like I said, I just think it has to be in the same universe, and it has to be connected somehow to merit the name.

@BeachThunder: That would be nice.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By razkazz

It is in the same universe, just earlier.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Heltom92

@vinsanityv22 said:

Concerning Bioshock/Bioshock 2: I think it's fine. I mean, it's the spiritual successor to System Shock, so they had to communicate that. But it's not just about advertising it; it's got the same DNA. Might as well be called BioShock.

Now, Bioshock Infinite is full of shit though. That should be a new -Shock entirely. "AeroShock" or something - the System denoted that that game was about the hi-tech environment, the Bio denotes that it's about the aquatic one. This new game should have a name that denotes it takes place in the skies. The ONLY reason it's called Bioshock ANYTHING is to capitalize on the strength of the brand. That's a marketing decision, not Irrational's - I'd bet my ass on it.

Also, shouldn't it be Bioshock: Infinity? Not only does Infinite not roll off the tongue, but it means nothing - there's no such thing as "A Bioshock". How can there be an infinite number of them?

Surely the 'Bio' part of the name refers to the genetic mutation of the citizens of Rapture/Columbia?

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Liquidus

@Heltom92 said:

@vinsanityv22 said:

Surely the 'Bio' part of the name refers to the genetic mutation of the citizens of Rapture/Columbia?

Yeah, that's what I was under the impression of and therefore calling this next game "BioShock" makes sense to me.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Tylea002

@Colt said:

Exactly, the game seems to play extremely similarly. It is a Bioshock game it is not a rapture story.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By EmuLeader

@Tylea002 said:

@Colt said:

Exactly, the game seems to play extremely similarly. It is a Bioshock game it is not a rapture story.

The game is very similar in setting and style, just in a different time and location. I think BioShock when I see the characters, environment, and gameplay of Infinite, not just because that is how it is labeled, but because of a thematic consistency.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Liquidus said:

@Heltom92 said:

@vinsanityv22 said:

Yeah, that's what I was under the impression of and therefore calling this next game "BioShock" makes sense to me.

Yeah, I didn't understand his reasoning at all when Bio isn't related to aquatics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.