Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Let's All Watch BioShock Infinite's E3 Demo Together

• 186 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I didn't go through all the posts, so If I'm treading old ground just tell me to go away.

Did anybody notice that there didn't appear to be a weapon system like in Bioshock 1? It seemed like you discarded whatever gun you were holding for the new weapon. I don't have a problem with it, its obviously more realistic, but it makes me wonder if weapon mods will be back. I quite liked the modification of weapons in the first game.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@allworkandlowpay: Yeah, it seems to have adopted the two-weapon slot system. I really liked having options for each situation in Bioshock 1, so I'm not sure if I'll like the new way as much. However, depending on how a game progresses, a two-weapon slot system is sometimes more beneficial to the experience. I don't know if you also noticed this, but instead of unlimited plasmid use, you now have a limited number of uses and then it's gone (watch the Bucking Bronco number on the HUD). Again, it's a choice I'm not thrilled about when I think about how it would have worked in Bioshock 1, but I can't make a judgement on the choice until I see how it works with the flow of Bioshock Infinite. So far B.Infinite seems to have a more propelled pace, if you get what I mean.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By Spoonman671

It looks cool, but I don't understand why the press has been collectively shitting themselves over this demo.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By GioVANNI
    @Spoonman671 said:
    It looks cool, but I don't understand why the press has been collectively shitting themselves over this demo.
    Yeah it was impressive, but I still think Uncharted 3 looked way better.
    Zolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Zolfe

maybe the @Spoonman671 said:

the fight scene was pretty fucking amazing, most shooters nowadays just throw enemies towards you and you shoot them, the fights aren't as dynamic as the ones showed in this demo
    jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By jacksmedulla
    @rlschaefe87@gmail.com:  If you have firefox, you can download an adblock app. I have had it for a while now, and I have completely forgotten what it is like to sit through ads.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Agent47
    @GioVANNI: ........Does Uncharted have skylines?I think not.
    Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Solemn

Looks fucking great.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Agent47
    @sammo21: I think they are trying to keep the Handyman on the downlow.He is considered the Big Daddy of Infinite so I think they don't want to spoil too much.
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By GioVANNI
    @Agent47 said:
    @GioVANNI: ........Does Uncharted have skylines?I think not.
    Does Bioshock Infinite have boats?
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#161  Edited By big_jon

Amazing

Krrutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Krrutch

i always associated dubstep with 1900s america

also this game looks brilliant

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#163  Edited By zor

Huh... guess I set my expectations a bit too high... the game looks great, but I don't see why it got all those game of the show awards

thevamp25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By thevamp25

just what i need with my bioshock footage...more dubstep 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#165  Edited By Sooperspy

Calling it. GOTY for 2012.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Klaimore

Hmm... I'm ready.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zor said:

Huh... guess I set my expectations a bit too high... the game looks great, but I don't see why it got all those game of the show awards

I don't see how you couldn't.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By jmrwacko

Bioshock for people with ADHD. Do not really want.

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Zor said:

I don't see how you couldn't.

The whole thing's just a gigantic scripted set piece. There was no exploration or open-ended gameplay in this trailer, just Call of Duty style hand holding from one scene to the next. The demo was, quite literally, a rail shooter.
    Avatar image for krystal_sackful
    Krystal_Sackful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Krystal_Sackful

"See you next Wednesday"  would've less on the nose than "Revenge of the Jedi"
    Lol, those bullets are having ZERO effect on him.

Avatar image for zombie_bigdaddy
    zombie_bigdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#170  Edited By zombie_bigdaddy

jizz in my pants,

MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By MrAristocrates
    @jmrwacko said:
    Bioshock for people with ADHD.
    That's not funny. Why would you think that would be funny? Have we reached the point where simply saying "(X mental disorder sufferers) would enjoy this" constitutes a joke?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52
    deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#173  Edited By Icemael

The presentation is fantastic, but aside from that it doesn't seem particularly great. Even the skylines can't save it from looking like a fairly run-of-the-mill first-person shooter. 

@christ0phe said: 

How do you control the skyline stuff?  That looks insane

You jump on it and then go automatically until you want to jump off, at which point you aim for another skyline or the ground and leap. I don't get the people saying things like "the skyline riding was so crazy, I can't even imagine how you control it!" It's obvious if you actually pay attention to what's going on on the screen.
    kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By kosayn

It's interesting how Irrational seems to be slowly getting around to understanding the basics of marketing to nerds.

Box image for System Shock - It's you, some cool hacker guy. You want to be this guy, right?

Shock 2 - Check out this computer lady, in our game.

Bioshock - See, these little girls need protecting, and it takes this huge dude to do it.

BS2 - No really. You're the dude who's going to have to protect them now.

Infinite - Okay fine, she's all grown up then. Look, you're still responsible for her. Buy her.

----

I also wonder how well the game's added realism elements like the banter adjust themselves to account for player freedom in this big environment. And Elizabeth is a cartoon, almost TF2 design, while Booker and the enemies seem non-deformed.

Bottom line, this game seems to contain some amazing story, technology, and design. So did the Bioshocks. They're leading the industry forward. But I still don't think there has been a good well-rounded GAME in the series where the actual hour-by-hour playing part of it was fun, since Shock 2. The only thing that would reallly amaze me would be some sign that they were putting some of the old RPG, character building and inventory elements back in. It seems more like choose between spectacle A or spectacle B.

But who am I kidding, I know saying temper your expectations about this game won't do a damn thing.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#175  Edited By Little_Socrates

Ten minutes in and OH MY GOOOOOOD.

EDIT: Just finished the demo. Craziest part is definitely the gameplay, cannot WAIT TO GET THIS INTO MY HANDS.

Xabu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Xabu

I hope it's significantly less scripted across the whole game then what's seen here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kosayn:

System Shock 1 - Made by Looking Glass (Warren Spectors old joint) not Irrational.

Bioshock 2 - Also not made by Irrational.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GioVANNI: It's got ships in the sky, maaan. Ships in the skyyyy. ( And possibly wheels.) Hovercrafts, you might say, which may or may not contain eels.

Now, that was all kinds of amazing. Was all kinds of sceptical after the (insert appropriate degeneratory slang concerning Bioshock 2 here), but my fears were unfounded. Holy mother of love, this looks good. It seems to be a huge departure from the Bioshock series in terms of game-play fluidity, and I like it. Them rails are a golden opportunity to create diverse game-play, simply through the possibility of being able to flank enemies, and reach new vantage points without an extended treck. The idea behind the rifts is pretty simply, but works wonders inside the setting.

I'm quite pleased to see the shooting remain as it used to. Worst thing they could have done to the franchise was inserting a CoD feel to it.

Though I've got to say, above everything, I really enjoyed the level of interaction between the main character and the world, including Elizabeth. The scene in the store made me smile so honestly that I couldn't help but think already at that point;" I'm sold". And it seemed to me all that action started simply by him interrupting that execution. Can't help but wonder if any of that would even have occured if they'd just walked on through.

And finally, said Songbird in the end. I'm loving the irony of what a perverted twist it seems to be of the Big Daddy. I got the impression that it really did simply want what it thought was the best for Elizabeth. In the end, I really did visualize Elizabeth as a child and the Songbird as it's overprotective, violent parent who just refused to understand. A great way to visualize a very different take on the damsel-in-distress concept. Speaking of which, what a damsel, Elizabeth was literally oozing charm, the way Alyx and Elena did.

.. Yeah, I'm sold. I'm really, really sold.

Edit: Also, I don't see how people complain about the game being too scripted. After all, only scripted sequences seemed to me to be the scenes that featured the store, horse, jumping down from the airship and the song-bird. And even those scenes were interactive.

The rail sequences, the combat, and a lot of the other stuff, like aiming his pistol down at the chap hitting on Elizabeth, or when Booker stared out at the expanse, was all completely in the hands of the player. The game just handled it with a lot more animation than most games would, reacting to the player's actions with more than just a voiced-line, adding a unique animation while letting the player remain in control. How immersive is that?

Hell, the fact that it seems to be fooling people into thinking it was scripted says it all, doesn't it?

Seriously, so damn sold. This goes straight to my most-wanted list, right up there with Heart of the Swarm, Battlefield 3, Deus Ex, Dark Souls and Space Marine.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Quacktastic

I feel like I'm being tricked.  It looks too good.

glanesb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#180  Edited By glanesb

This game just cured my cancer!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Yes. games tend to need scripted events. Otherwise its just an empty box with nothing to do.

Its Bioshock 1, with combat improvements and a new story. Sold.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: You'd be right except:

1) There was more exploration to be had.

There was a whole other area they didn't explore for the sake of time. Who knows what else was there. If the game follows similar level design to System Shock 2 or Bioshock 1 (and there is no reason to assume its drastically different) You can expect extra places to go, audiologs to uncover, etc.

2) The demo walked past other events entirely.

From what Ken Levine has said, several of those sequences were able to be prevented or interacted with in some way.

3) The demo showed only one side of the events.

If you watch the sequence with the horse, for example, there is a timer indicating the time-limit to choose an action. the Demo'er let "Euthanize horse" expire. If he choose to shoot the horse, the entire time-dimension portal sequence would not have happened, or at least not in the same way. Its likely many of these sequences will follow suit.

4) The Huge action sequence at the end? Is entirely skippable.

Ken Levine has already made it a point that, when you stopped the execution of the Postman in the demo and caused a whole big explosive fight sequence, it was a sequence that could have been skipped entirely. Hows that for agency?

5) An entire game system is set up to make it even less linear.

The portal rift system is set up for gameplay variety. In the big action sequence (which as discussed in point 4, is entirely skippable,) has multiple ways to approach the combat "puzzle." Booker was perfectly able to pull other items into that final battle through the rift. Instead of choosing to add that cover, he could have entered another building (possibly escaping the sequence or adding a new area of the level entirely.) Or he could have had Elizabeth save her powers to use on a rocket turret to take down that dirigible from the ground. Of course, that's if you even needed to. the demo giver purposely allowed that one enemy from giving the signal to spawn the blimp in the first place. That's probably about as non-linear of a scripted sequence as you are going to get.

I really don't see any validity in your complaint. Just seems like unjustified bitching to be honest.

mike343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By mike343

All that jumping on to rails looks very tricky and something you need dexterous skills for.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#186  Edited By Keeng

It looks like more Bioshock. The combat seems more interesting and there's a new story. It seems awesome and everything, but it's by no means the "mind-blowing" demo everyone hyped it up to be. I'll buy it day one and I'm sure I'll love it, but there were much better looking games at E3. Batman looks like it's going to blow this away. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4556bb5bd1b
    deactivated-5b4556bb5bd1b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looking forward to playing it

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#188  Edited By AngelN7

I hate the internet... I just hate those assholes who just love to dissagree for the sake of doing it , like why? I mean this game looks like nothing thats out there so much imagination was put into this but what´s the point you just wake up and drink your haterade everyday so I won´t even bother , for me easely one of the most anticipated games of 2012.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.