Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Sprinting as DLC?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

You think it's a joke, but watch.

Remember the time we joked about how game endings would be sold as DLC? That's about as far-fetched we got a few years ago. Then that shit actually happened.

Now you need a speed boost to run like in any other game. What's next, reloading as DLC?

I have a feeling that trailer is straight up trolling, but considering how ridiculous pre-order bonuses and DLC have gotten, it's hard to tell.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By gaminghooligan

I can't tell if it's the sprint ability, or just saying that the sprint is faster with the DLC. If it's DLC that's pretty dumb.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SlashDance

That can't be right. Has to be just a speed increase....... right ?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

"From the makers of THE HIGHEST RATED FPS of all time"

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By deathbyyeti

could be a terrible perk system like Call of Duty

Sprint longer/Unlimited sprint with these "exclusive" not plasmids!

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crash_Happy

Doesn't seem a big deal. Sprinting as DLC would be, but this looks like a perk/plug in system of some sort.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RazielCuts
    It's probably just the Tonics from the previous games right? Don't get bent out of shape so easily, it's free with all new games.
    WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WasabiCurry

It would hilarious and sickening if Sprinting was part of the DLC pre-order. I'll hold my judgement until I hear more.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By development

It's not 'sprinting,' as in a sprint button; it's just faster movement, both forward (sugar rush) and backward (evasion boost).

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a bunch of useless stuff they could throw in so they could say they had a pre-order bonus. "You can run faster, walk faster and here's some in game money, please pre-order our game."

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MistaSparkle

I played through all of Bioshock 1 without any sprinting. I think I'll be fine without it again, but if what you are saying is true, that's kind of ridiculous.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By wrighteous86

The "FREE" in the corner... You sure that they don't just give it to you up front instead of having to upgrade at a vending machine? Like it's in the game for everyone but people who purchase this start with it?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

It looks like its just making you run faster not the real sprint ability. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The entire push from developers/publishers to force people into buying games before they try or read reviews about them is gross. I kind of feel turned off about this game now. :-(

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By oraknabo

I think it's just a preorder pack that ups a few stats by default that you will be raising during gameplay.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Its just a stat boost the same as you got from tonics in the first game.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By evanbower

I just want the Industrial Revolution Puzzle Game to be a stand alone product. It this iteration's Minerva's Den.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Vinny_Says

then what the hell is evasion about? Dude just walked backwards a bit.

I'm sure you can sprint in the base game, just maybe a litle slower. If 2K were really nice maybe that card is available in the base game but you need to search for it later on in the game world. We have yet to see duder.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By doobie

@wewantsthering said:

The entire push from developers/publishers to force people into buying games before they try or read reviews about them is gross. I kind of feel turned off about this game now. :-(

why is it gross. they're just trying to sell the product they spend the last 2 or 3 years making.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doobie said:

@wewantsthering said:

why is it gross. they're just trying to sell the product they spend the last 2 or 3 years making.

I'm not condemning them on trying to sell their game. Their first game sold just fine (actually very well) without any shady marketing tactics. I'm condemning publishers on their tricking people into paying for things before they're finished, people have tried it, etc. They incentivize customers to pay for unknown things. People are burned all the time from preordering games. I'm not saying it's illegal because it's not. It's just scummy business.

You don't give the person at the checkout sign money for groceries that will be out in six months. You give him money for the groceries you're buying right then that you will take home with you.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I really hate how this game's marketing has been handled, no sense of wonder is really left after buying the game like Bioshock was, I feel like I have watched over 1 hour of gameplay over the various gameplay videos they have let out. This is the type of game where the trailers should of been minimal, I mean it's the true sequel to Bioshock, I didn't need all these gameplay videos and marketing behind it.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VoshiNova

@GunstarRed said:

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Wrighteous86
    The "FREE" in the corner... You sure that they don't just give it to you up front instead of having to upgrade at a vending machine? Like it's in the game for everyone but people who purchase this start with it?
    I'm going with this, seems to make the most sense to be honest. It's probably similar to say, the bone charm system in Dishonored. Small perks that you can find/buy and apply.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By musubi

Its the same thing as tonics in the first game it boost the abilities you already have. I don't see any issue here.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By musubi

@wewantsthering said:

@doobie said:

@wewantsthering said:

I'm not condemning them on trying to sell their game. Their first game sold just fine (actually very well) without any shady marketing tactics. I'm condemning publishers on their tricking people into paying for things before they're finished, people have tried it, etc. They incentivize customers to pay for unknown things. People are burned all the time from preordering games. I'm not saying it's illegal because it's not. It's just scummy business.

You don't give the person at the checkout sign money for groceries that will be out in six months. You give him money for the groceries you're buying right then that you will take home with you.

There are plenty of things you buy blind without trying them first. There is nothing gross about it they are simply saying that if you absolutely know you are buying this game regardless we'll give you something extra if you pay now. There is nothing saying that you can't wait until reviews because the people who DO pre-order already have their minds made up.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

Having sprint as DLC would be incredibly irrational for them to do.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadyPingu

I didn't see anything about them locking sprint behind a paywall. You are playing fast and loose with reality, sir, and I don't like it one bit!

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By audiosnow

@GunstarRed said:

Irrational can say that. Mind you, I don't like that 2K is taking vicarious credit, but Irrational can absolutely claim that.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LikeaSsur

@wewantsthering said:

On the other hand, with the insane amount of prerelease coverage most games get, it doesn't take much time on the internet to find out if a game is right for you or not, despite it not being on shelves until Holiday 2013.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cyrus_Saren said:

Having sprint as DLC would be incredibly irrational for them to do.

I c waht u did thar

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Its just a stat boost the same as you got from tonics in the first game.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

So many people jumping to conclusions, maybe it just means you get that ability at the start of the game rather than having to find it in the game, just gives you a headstart effectively but is in no means pivotal to the game.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ares42

The way it focuses on saying everything is free makes it seem like it's stuff you can get in-game either by being consumables or upgrades. So my assumption would be that it's just an early-unlock package.

TheFreepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheFreepie

How disappointing :(

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it is using a play on words of "Industrial Revolution" to mock the "Revolution" DLC that is coming out for Black Ops 2 tomorrow. If they are really trying this though that is just shitty.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By doobie

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I really hate how this game's marketing has been handled, no sense of wonder is really left after buying the game like Bioshock was, I feel like I have watched over 1 hour of gameplay over the various gameplay videos they have let out. This is the type of game where the trailers should of been minimal, I mean it's the true sequel to Bioshock, I didn't need all these gameplay videos and marketing behind it.

id already played the first 30 mins of bioshock a dozen times before i even bought the game thanks to the demo. but that took NOTHING away from the experience it took none of the wonder away at all.

that being said i have only watched 2 or 3 infinite video over the last couple of years and have 'filtered' the content.

you only have yourself to blame if you eat to much chocolate

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By AssInAss

@Demoskinos said:

Its the same thing as tonics in the first game it boost the abilities you already have. I don't see any issue here.

People saying that it's like tonics in the first game, I'm pretty sure the speed boost in Bioshock was way faster while this one literally looks like a normal sprint speed in any shooter post-Call of Duty. It's not really obvious how this is a speed boost.

Maybe this would feel like a speed boost in Dear Esther, the walking simulator, but here in this trailer it's not obvious. Whether or not it's available in the actual game, this weird marketing tactic reminds me of free-to-play MMOs rather than a single-player game.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Miketakon

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Looks like a bunch of useless stuff they could throw in so they could say they had a pre-order bonus. "You can run faster, walk faster and here's some in game money, please pre-order our game."

Exactly.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Miketakon said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Exactly.

I am getting the Super Songbird Edition. Chances are I wont use these perks at all. Might have to give em away. 
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Agent47

@wewantsthering said:

@doobie said:

@wewantsthering said:

Isn't it places like Gamestop that tell publishers which in turn force developers to produce pre-order DLC(sometimes exclusive)for their games that way Gamestop can squeeze more change out of?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.