Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

Bioshock: The Greatest Game of All Time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Edited By Tornac

In my time as a gamer, I've played a lot of great titles. I've taken down gods, ripped alien species a new one, stomped on countless turtle shells, and so on. But one game amongst hundreds stands out as the greatest piece of entertainment I have ever experienced. 
    BioShock.

Bioshock: An Entertainment Masterpiece

It's funny, too, because prior to BioShock's release, I had no interest in it. I knew it was being developed by Irrational Games, who had already been responsible for two of my favorite games, Freedom Force and System Shock 2, so that was appealing. I read about it in a Game Informer cover article, and that got me a little more excited. All of this faded away when I saw a trailer of the game. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with what was show; it just didn't look like something that appealed to me.

So, I stopped following the game. I saw clips of it in montages here and there, but I stopped caring about the game. Besides, this was in 2007, one of the greatest years in gaming history. There was no way a game like Bioshock could be better than games like Halo 3, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, or Call of Duty 4, right?

By the time the reviews started popping up on various websites, I pretty much had no clue what the game was anymore. I remember the first review I saw was on IGN, and the score was a 9.7/10. I was shocked. I read the review, and that was all the convincing I needed before I went out to buy the game. The moment I got back from the store, I popped it in and played from start to finish, only stopping for meals and bathroom breaks.

What makes Bioshock so special to me isn't just the story or the gameplay or the graphics. It's how each individual element that the game brought to the table fit perfectly with everything else. Not one moment ever felt like a throwaway.  Of course, the beautifully sculpted world of Rapture was the main star. It's ruined halls filled with genetically mutated freaks was something I had seen nothing like in a game before. The opening to this game alone sets the mood and atmosphere, and provides dozens of water-cooler moments people are still talking about today.

I remember the Big Daddy plowing his drill into the torso of a Splicer who threatened the seemingly innocent Little Sister. I watched as a mad doctor destroyed his plastic-surgery patient, obsessed with making the faces of people perfect. I frantically scrambled through the darkness with a shotgun as Splicers danced around me. I murdered civilized people to complete an insane man's masterpiece. I unwillingly plunged a gold club into the leader's skull.

Bioshock is something you simply have to play. It is the greatest game of all time. Would you kindly enter Rapture, and experience the best video games have to offer?
    Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tornac

In my time as a gamer, I've played a lot of great titles. I've taken down gods, ripped alien species a new one, stomped on countless turtle shells, and so on. But one game amongst hundreds stands out as the greatest piece of entertainment I have ever experienced. 
    BioShock.

Bioshock: An Entertainment Masterpiece

It's funny, too, because prior to BioShock's release, I had no interest in it. I knew it was being developed by Irrational Games, who had already been responsible for two of my favorite games, Freedom Force and System Shock 2, so that was appealing. I read about it in a Game Informer cover article, and that got me a little more excited. All of this faded away when I saw a trailer of the game. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with what was show; it just didn't look like something that appealed to me.

So, I stopped following the game. I saw clips of it in montages here and there, but I stopped caring about the game. Besides, this was in 2007, one of the greatest years in gaming history. There was no way a game like Bioshock could be better than games like Halo 3, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, or Call of Duty 4, right?

By the time the reviews started popping up on various websites, I pretty much had no clue what the game was anymore. I remember the first review I saw was on IGN, and the score was a 9.7/10. I was shocked. I read the review, and that was all the convincing I needed before I went out to buy the game. The moment I got back from the store, I popped it in and played from start to finish, only stopping for meals and bathroom breaks.

What makes Bioshock so special to me isn't just the story or the gameplay or the graphics. It's how each individual element that the game brought to the table fit perfectly with everything else. Not one moment ever felt like a throwaway.  Of course, the beautifully sculpted world of Rapture was the main star. It's ruined halls filled with genetically mutated freaks was something I had seen nothing like in a game before. The opening to this game alone sets the mood and atmosphere, and provides dozens of water-cooler moments people are still talking about today.

I remember the Big Daddy plowing his drill into the torso of a Splicer who threatened the seemingly innocent Little Sister. I watched as a mad doctor destroyed his plastic-surgery patient, obsessed with making the faces of people perfect. I frantically scrambled through the darkness with a shotgun as Splicers danced around me. I murdered civilized people to complete an insane man's masterpiece. I unwillingly plunged a gold club into the leader's skull.

Bioshock is something you simply have to play. It is the greatest game of all time. Would you kindly enter Rapture, and experience the best video games have to offer?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

It's not my favourite game of all time, but it's very close to the top.
    Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Lucifer

Inb4SystemShock2isbettr 

I don't belive it's the greatest game ever but It is a great game. 

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I dunno about the greatest game of all time, but yeah it is really good

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By OroJackson

It is certainly in my top 5 favorite games of all time

calum_s_gunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By calum_s_gunn

Yeah, it's okay, but it's too wet.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tornac
    @calum_s_gunn: 
    Haha you must despise games like Heavy Rain and Hydrophobia
    Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lautaro

I personally liked the 2nd one way more, but yeah Bioshock in general is great.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

You must have not played a lot of games. Bioshock is a great game, and a great experience, but it's nowhere near the best. And why this is in "General Discussion" is beyond me.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tornac
    @Lautaro: 
    I don't know, I thought the second one was good, but it just wasn't  as mysterious. Your opinion though.
    nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nyuckelhead

Come to think of it Bioshock is either my favorite game of all time or at least in my top 5. It has been one of the only single player experiences I've had that I have been willing to play through multiple times without getting bored. ( I've played through it 5 times now, for a 3 year old game 5 is a lot for me) the only other game that has achieved this is Resident Evil 4.  So I guess these two games are kinda tied for first place for me.

LordCrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By LordCrom

It's the greatest game of all time....of 2008. :)
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's only the 10th best game ever. I think you all know what I'm going to follow this up with.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lautaro
    @Tornac said:
    " @Lautaro:  I don't know, I thought the second one was good, but it just wasn't  as mysterious. Your opinion though. "
    Oh yeah the story and mystery in the first one were considerably better. I just really liked the gameplay in 2.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By armaan8014

Heh.. i'm too lazy to play it.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By themangalist
    @Tornac said:
    " I was shocked. "
    i'm pretty sure it was more than that....

you were BIOshocked.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee
    @themangalist said:
    " @Tornac said:
    " I was shocked. "
    i'm pretty sure it was more than that....  you were BIOshocked. "

And before that he was SYSTEM shocked.
    raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By raegunz_

One of my favorites games, but not THE best game of all time. But, it was fucking awesome.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kishan6

its a fantastic game but.... play half life :)

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tornac
    @Lautaro: 
    Oh, I see. Well, yeah the gameplay was a bit better i guess because it was a sequel so I agree with you on that.
    Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tornac
    @kishan6: 
    Haha Half-Life 2 is my SECOND favorite game of all time
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AltonBrown

It was good, but nowhere NEAR my favorite game of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

In my top 20. Not greatest game since I don't think *every* part of it comes together in the best way, but I definitely enjoyed my experiences with it the first time through.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By trophyhunter

wrong and not even close

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @themangalist said:
    " @Tornac said:
    " I was shocked. "
    And before that he was SYSTEM shocked. "
    OHOHOHOHO. You guys are killing me! 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Yummylee
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " @themangalist said:
    " @Tornac said:
    " I was shocked. "
    And before that he was SYSTEM shocked. "
    OHOHOHOHO. You guys are killing me!  "

I'm so very glad.
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By spankingaddict

System Shock 2 is better, i do love bioshock 1 & 2 though...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

It was a great single player campaign, and quite memorable, but not the best.

TheWesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheWesman

You know Jeff's rules.  You have to submit this to him with your reasoning as well as your age and he alone can decide if it can be YOUR Greatest Game of All Time.

The very idea that a shooter can be the greatest game of all time just doesn't compute with me.  Bioshock is an excellent game in many ways.  Story telling, graphics, gameplay (except the gunplay was kinda...meh) were all excellent.  I loved the environment of Rapture and the story was compelling all of the way through the story to the conclusion.  But one factor stands out to me, when I finished that game I was done with it.  It was an excellent game, an excellent experience, but there was nothing in it to compel me to start it over again.  So to me, that's why I couldn't call that my favorite game ever, but hey, that's just me.  I like your argument and I hope Jeff approves of it!  :-D

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Cwaff

I enjoyed Bioshock enough, but I don't believe it's the greatest game of all time or anywhere near it.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kishan6
    @Tornac said:
    " @kishan6:  Haha Half-Life 2 is my SECOND favorite game of all time "
    lol i was talking about half life one.  but hl2 is still in my top 5 especially episode 2.  im one of the few who likes HL1 more than 2. 
    at least u have good taste in games :)
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By RHCPfan24

I respect your opinion and at least you present it well. I would actually put Bioshock in my Top 10 of all time personally so I somewhat agree with you. I do not find it perfect but it is near-perfect in so many areas: atmosphere, storytelling, production values. Only some aspects of the gunplay suffers in my opinion.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tornac
    @kishan6: 
    Oh, haha, Half-Life one is good too. It's probably in my top twenty games at least. haha.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#34  Edited By Icemael

You need to play more games, dude. Bioshock was a great game and all, but story-driven first-person shooter don't come better than The Darkness. It trumps Bioshock in virtually every way: Story, setting, atmosphere, gunplay, supernatural powers... Bioshock has slightly better characters, but that's it.

And if you take a look outside the first-person shooter genre, there are plenty of titles that are better than both Bioshock and The Darkness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I found the game to be pretty meh. I wanted RPG elements like bettering yourself with specific gun types, and having traits to upgrade. I wanted the game to be scarce with resources; I wanted the player to struggle to survive, not toy the enemy playfully. Instead, we have a shooter with magic powers, only that most of the powers are practically useless and are not fun to use. The only useful power was lightning bolt, showing how horrid the balance was in this game.

This is the first gameplay footage of Bioshock. This is what I wanted it to be; System Shock2 without the gun jamming.

gregva756

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gregva756

Bioshock is a great game. For me it was the fact you were not fighting cliche enemies like nazis, aliens or terrorists. These were people who went too far and fell over the edge. They are not looking for you from the moment you arrive but are scavenging after the fall of rapture. Its a great game, the greatest? I disagree but you are most certainly entitled to that opinion. Im glad you enjoyed it that much.
    Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tornac
    @gregva756: 
    That's another great thing. There really isn't anything else like Bioshock. I mean, there are parts of it that you could compare to other games, but when taken as a whole, it's in a category of its own. There aren't bald space marines, Nazis, aliens, terrorists, or gangsters, like there are in a million other games. The crazed, genetically mutated Splicers can't be found in any way, shape, or form in any other game. That's something special.
    Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Blueman

Great game, but i don't think it's the greatest of all time. Too many faults, the gunplay and the final boss, for example. And besides, everybody knows that OoT is the greatest of all time.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By jakob187

Bioshock is a great game, but it is far from the greatest ever made.  It has little to no replay value, especially because you already know the story and you will not have those emotional moments again throughout it.  There's also little reason for a second playthrough because there's nothing new that you are unlocking for it. 

As if that weren't enough, the shooting mechanics aren't the greatest, and the wrench is the best weapon in the game. 

If you want the greatest game of all time, there is only one place to look

Good write-up, though, and at least you offer your own very valid justifications for your opinion.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By frankfartmouth

Bioshock is a great game, but it should be behind a long list of more innovative, trend-setting, industry-changing games if you're really trying to make an objective case for it as the best ever made. Certainly one of the best of the last several years, but even there, it wouldn't make the top for me. Plus, every game you mentioned in your post as a possible contender for Bioshock as best ever is a current-gen release. If you're going to try to make a serious case for a game being the best ever made, and you're not even mentioning anything made before the current console generation, then I can't really take you too seriously. It's clearly your personal favorite, and that's fine, but best game ever made is a whole other story.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tornac
    @jakob187: 
    Yeah, I love Vagrant story too! That game kicks ass. I haven't played it in so long, though... Man, once I'm finished here I'm gonna go replay that. Thanks!
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Griddler
    @Tornac said:

" @calum_s_gunn:  Haha you must despise games like Heavy Rain and Hydrophobia "

And WET...
    Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tornac
    @girdz: 
    haha and Wave Race
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ryax

it was fun and i enjoyed the hell out of it but its not the best of all time.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By raviolisumo

Can someone explain how a recent game can be considered the "greatest game of all time"? Don't you need to let it sit for a few years?

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By immike

Well, I am a huge fan of it, but IDK if it qualifies as the greatest.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Wes899 said:
    " Can someone explain how a recent game can be considered the "greatest game of all time"? Don't you need to let it sit for a few years? "
    You're right. "Greatness" is an amorphous thing that can only be judged retroactively, against several critical systems made up of various criteria.

And I don't feel Bioshock grades well with me on the whole. It has a strong atmospheric component, but I called the plot twist after about three hours in, and, as Jeff always says--"the part where you play the game" is pretty tedious.
    RobJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RobJ

I felt it was totally overrated. Too many of the enemies looked the same, it felt cramped and confining and I hated the voice acting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.