Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brawlhalla

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 30, 2014

Brawlhalla is an 8-player, 2D fighting game featuring warriors from throughout history.

Brawlhalla - a free to play Smash Bros clone coming to PS4

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Since before even that awful looking Sony All Stars game, I've been wanting someone to make a decent Smash Bros clone for current gen consoles. It looks like that finally might be happening. I just hope the F2P elements don't get in the way too much, but at least it could lead to a larger community.

If you're interested in more, here's a big Ask me Anything from the developers:

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The #ESports shit at the end of that trailer really ruined it.

Shortbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been playing this on PC since it was in closed beta. The F2P stuff is just cosmetics, skins and taunts and stuff.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing this on PC since it was in closed beta. The F2P stuff is just cosmetics, skins and taunts and stuff.

That's good to hear. Does that mean every character is free, or at least unlockable through in-game currency? And what do you think about the game itself? How do you feel it compares to Smash?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious how fun the game actually is to play, because I almost can't stand the free to play phone game art style of those characters (even has slightly large heads).

Shortbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shortbread said:

That's good to hear. Does that mean every character is free, or at least unlockable through in-game currency? And what do you think about the game itself? How do you feel it compares to Smash?

Characters (well, "legends") are on a rotation, with 6 of them free every week. You can permanently unlock them with in-game gold, which they're pretty generous with.

I haven't played enough of Smash, or of most fighting games really, to give an authoritative comparison. Some players say it's more like Marvel vs Capcom, and the real characters are the weapons and the legends are just "teams" of weapons. I can say that it feels a lot less chaotic than Smash-- fewer, more-balanced items and no overpowered super moves-- and that it's really quite balanced. I've put close to 50 hours in and, while I'm not terribly good, I am having a lot of fun with it.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@pezen: The game itself is quite fun in my opinion, but they need to add more items if they ever want to be taken seriously when compared to smash bros. There's hardly any item pick ups. Then again, they're really trying to push the whole 2-weapon system for each character. If they stick to that and don't introduce more items then I'll probably bail on it.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LikeaSsur

Uuuuugggggh. Not every game with PvP needs to be the next big thing in Esports. In fact, this game's competitive scene is probably already dead.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The #ESports shit at the end of that trailer really ruined it.

Stuff like this has been happening all year, and really is in need of a well deserved "Please Stop" award.

Shortbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uuuuugggggh. Not every game with PvP needs to be the next big thing in Esports. In fact, this game's competitive scene is probably already dead.

It's the most popular fighting game on Steam according to SteamCharts.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@likeassur said:

It's the most popular fighting game on Steam according to SteamCharts.

Probably because it's the freest one.

Shortbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@likeassur: A chance at what? There are lots of games with less than 10k people playing-- most games, in fact-- and Brawlhalla's numbers are still climbing. Going to PS4 with cross-platform-play can only help it.

I do agree with the overall sentiment about the #esports feel to the end of the trailer. Let the game stand on its own merits.

JackBurt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a buddy that did some animation and art for the game but is no longer with the company. It seemed alright...though in the closed beta it seemed like the guys were realllllllly floaty. And it's a big flash game. Anyways, if you want to check out some of his art from the game, he's @unbroken_skies on twitter.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have this on steam played it a bit but didn't really cared for it but is not like i love the smash bros series i only enjoy it in small burst with friends so i guess with this game it would be the same but my friends do't play on pc

Avatar image for underscore_underscore
    Underscore_Underscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it at PSX on Saturday, it's fun and I'd definitely reccomend it

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I really like the Viking Link guy in the middle left

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the appeal of Smash Bros that it's a mashup of Nintendo characters? I know there are people who play it competitively, but the Nintendo characters are the appeal for most people who buy those games, right? Random F2P mobile game looking characters don't really have the same appeal.

Shortbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron: Yeah, the main appeal to Smash is being able to punch people with Mario or whatever. Brawlhalla isn't really a Smash clone, nor does it try to be, and people are going to be disappointed if they're just looking for a Smash reskin rather than looking at the game for its own merits.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Not a fan of the style, but it looks like it plays fine. Still, a lot of the charm of Smash is the silly character mash-up, and this game ain't hittin that for me.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron: I'm someone who has played Melee excessively in a competitive manner since 2005. To me, that's one of the greatest games ever made. But I wouldn't say that the Smash Bros. series is one of my favorite series ever. And that is because the physics changes. The physics is what makes Smash what it is. And the reason I think they can't be replicated is because the characters are mostly developed to play off of their skills from their main series. Peach is very floaty and has her default float from Mario Bros 2 in the Smash series. You probably won't see something like this in a Smash clone because it's an odd gameplay mechanic to put into a fighting game with no real backstory.

To me it's not the fact that I care to see Nintendo characters fighting each other (although that is pretty cool), but it's the way Nintendo tries to make the characters play "faithfully" to their personality and abilities when it comes to combat. If Smash Bros were its own series without the Nintendo characters, but with the exact same engine and mechanics, I think it would be a flop because of the gameplay.

And yeah, this game isn't great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.