Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

An update from Splash Damage

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I know a lot of people are hating on the game. But for the people who do enjoy it like I do here is an update from Splash damage.

Wanted to share an update on Brink from Splash Damage’s Paul Wedgwood – the Game Director on Brink.

Now that Brink has been released in North America, we’ve had hundreds of thousands of people create their character and join the civil war for the Ark. Seeing the game out there being played and enjoyed by so many is very exciting for us, and we’ve been hopping into multiplayer matches ourselves to get in on the action with all of you.

Before we dive into this blog update, we’d like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who’s been sharing their feedback about Brink. We keep a close eye on what all of you have been saying about the game and wanted to give you an update on what’s been happening on our end:

Xbox 360

We’ve now put up our first game update on the Xbox 360, which went live at launch. It addresses several of the issues raised in some of the early US reviews of the game and brings with it some major improvements.

Most importantly, this update significantly reduced texture loading times thanks to improved hard-drive caching. It also improves client prediction when playing online – in other words, you’ll experience much less “rubber banding” in multiplayer. We’ve also fixed several issues that could lead to the game freezing, and resolved an issue where Brink would insist on playing all of the training videos rather than just the introductory one.

If you’ve not yet got the update, simply restart the game while your Xbox is connected to the internet.

We’ve also been getting new reports of lag when playing online, especially in matches with lots of human players. We’re all huge multiplayer fans here at the office and we know how important a lag-free online experience is. We’re urgently investigating this issue and seeing what we can do to improve things in that area. Stay tuned.

Information on PS3, PC, and the game’s upcoming statistics site after the break…

PlayStation 3 Update

The PlayStation 3 version of Brink has also received its first game update late Monday. It incorporates the same prediction fixes as in the Xbox 360 version, resulting in a smoother online performance.  In addition, host migration has seen several improvements as well, and we’ve fixed an issue where the Ability Wheel sometimes displayed the wrong class abilities. This update also fixes several potential freezes and, like the Xbox 360 version, now only plays the introductory tutorial video at the initial prompt, rather than all of them.

Even though PSN is currently offline, you’ll still be able to get this update if your console is connected to the internet. Once PSN is back online, we’ll closely monitor player feedback for this platform.

PC Update

On the PC side, we’re pleased to report that we’ve put together our first game update, bringing two immediate improvements to Brink:

It greatly enhances the crash reports we’re getting through Steam, with more detailed information coming our way from now on. While this doesn’t sound very exciting for you as a player, it’s really useful for the Brink team as it’ll allow us to track down the underlying issues much more quickly and work on fixes for them – particularly stability issues relating to compatibility.

This update also fixes an issue where closing the game before getting to the character selection screen can corrupt your character data and make it unusable. Until the game update comes out, we strongly recommend not shutting Brink down during start-up to avoid this issue altogether.

Better yet, this update has just hit Steam and you can download it by simply signing into your Steam client.

In other PC news, we’ve also been working closely with the guys over at Bethesda Softworks to identify and solve any hardware compatibility issues that people have been reporting. For the AMD graphics card owners out there, make sure you’ve installed the latest AMD video drivers as that will solve a fair few of the visual and performance issues out there. Similarly, if you have an NVIDIA card and are experiencing issues with the game, make sure you’ve got thelatest NVIDIA video drivers installed.

The next game update for the PC version is already in the works, and includes a fix for the FOV issue some of you have been reporting on the forums, among several other things. We’ll have more information to share on that soon.

Statistics Site

We’ve also seen a few questions about the Brink statistics website and what you should be doing with the VIP code that’s displayed in the game. When the Brink statistics site launches on www.BrinkTheGame.com, you’ll be able to register a profile on there and can then use the VIP code from inside the game to link your Xbox 360 gamertag/PSN ID/Steam ID to it. More details on all of that soon!

Lastly, please do keep your Brink feedback coming. It’s really useful to us and we really do check all of it. We have teams at Splash Damage and Bethesda dedicated full time to resolving any issues you discover.

That’s it for now – thanks for reading and see you online in Brink!

Paul Wedgwood
    Game Director

The stats site sort of has my interested.  Again I am enjoying the game and look forward to playing more. I know its been poorly received but that does not bother me. I fully enjoy it and like playing as support classes. 

Source

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Twisted_Scot

I was total expecting it to just read "Sorry".  Glad their listening, maybe now they can start work on fixing the gameplay. I refuse to give up on this yet.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Yanngc33

That update for the 360 crashed my console

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

I really hope they fix the lag. : /

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Its good that they're fixing the bugs, although I doubt that would improve the quality of the game.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm

The only issue I've had is texture pop in is really bad.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

The damage has been done.  

One version is dead on arrival.

One version is broken and the fan base wants COD or Halo.
    One version has Team Fortress 2, which has hats.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Kyreo
    @KaosAngel said:
    " The damage has been done.  

"
    As much as it pains me, I agree with you.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    @KaosAngel said:

"
    FACT.
    FACT.
    FACT.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Brink looks as much fun as the poopy.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @KaosAngel said:

One version is dead on arrival. One version is broken and the fan base wants COD or Halo.
    "

All true.. which is why i'm no longer purchasing Brink since this year is packed with day-one games + approximately 2500 bucks saved for a PC upgrade around Q3
    however, i still haven't given up on the game in the long run. if it manages to survive on the PC, i might pick it up later later on.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I remember when console games were released polished on release, and didn't need updates to fix persisting problems. This shit just indicates laziness.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " if it manages to survive on the PC, i might pick it up later later on."
    I think we all know this game is going to be under 10 bucks during the Christmas sale, and hopefully by then it's kinda not broked and can be different enough from TF2.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @KaosAngel
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    I think we all know this game is going to be under 10 bucks during the Christmas sale, and hopefully by then it's kinda not broked and can be different enough from TF2.
    WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPE, STOP MAKING MY LIFE HARDER.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I find it quite funny how everyone bashes the people who like the game yet its totally fine to hijack every thread about it with random "this game is stupid" comments.

I for my part was not able to play it yet since im in europe, but I won't cancel my preorder and im looking forward to friday.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By scarace360
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @KaosAngel
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPE, STOP MAKING MY LIFE HARDER. "
    Just buy it its fun dont listen to these hateful people.
    caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By caityful

So, that damn AMD update crashed my PC...
    It makes you wonder though, why are there so many problems, Splash Damage? Was product research that hard...?
    Despite everything, I know that I'll be playing this game an awful lot, once it's fixed up.

hurrikenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hurrikenux
    @2HeadedNinja said:
    " I find it quite funny how everyone bashes the people who like the game yet its totally fine to hijack every thread about it with random "this game is stupid" comments.
    I for my part was not able to play it yet since im in europe, but I won't cancel my preorder and im looking forward to friday.
    "
    Trolls will be trolls, especially when they can hide behind a computer.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#19  Edited By Soap

When is the update that makes it a full retail game?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

I think we all know this game is going to be under 10 bucks during the Christmas sale, and hopefully by then it's kinda not broked and can be different enough from TF2. "
    Do not post here if you are just gonna troll Kaos. 

Right now I am hoping they fix up the lag issues. And maybe work on the single player bot AI. 
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By damodar

Well that's all well and good to have a few updates, but if you want to compete with TF2, you'll need to be keep putting out updates every ten minutes until I just get sick of it happening all the time and uninstall the game.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jams

There were over 700 servers on pc last night and this morning there was over 900. I can easily find an L.A. (a 3 hour drive from where I live) server with pings in the 20s to 30s with 14/16 people playing pretty easily. I haven't experienced major lag at all. Nothing game breaking anyways. Though I play on PC... The smart mans choice

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Soap said:
    " When is the update that makes it a full retail game? "
    When they decide to fix matchmaking and the bots
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#25  Edited By Soap
    @Yanngc33 said:
    " @Soap said:
    " When is the update that makes it a full retail game? "
    When they decide to fix matchmaking and the bots "
    Gunna be a pretty big patch if they are actually going to add a single player campaign in there. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.