Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

Help! I can't even get Brink to run!

random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By random_guy23

I'm on the PS3, and I'm trying to get Brink to work. I insert the disc, press on the disc icon to run the game, and I get a short black screen for about 10 seconds, then it returns to the XMB, and gives me a 'an error has occured during the start operation' followed by this error code: 80010017. Does anyone know a possible workaround/fix for this? Also, this is the only game that has this fault on my PS3. I tested my other games (Uncharted, Killzone etc) and they work perfectly. So, anyone else have this issue?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jams

Have you tried playing it with your internet turned off?

random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By random_guy23
    @jams: Yes, when I run it with the internet off, my console just locks up when I try to run it. I have to actually take the power out of the back in order to turn it off, pressing the green button (i've got a slim ps3) does nothing.
    niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By niall_sg1

When this happens to me I turn off the PS3 and leave it for like 20 seconds, turn it off on the switch at the back of the machine too. 

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Akrid
    @random_guy23 said:
    " I have to actually take the power out of the back in order to turn it off, pressing the green button (i've got a slim ps3) does nothing. "
    Did you not hold down the power button for 10 seconds? That'll force it to quit. It's bad to just rip the cord out.

And yeah, what Niall_Sg1 suggested might work.
    alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alternate

googling the error code suggested this 

I had my PS3 swopped out yesterday, the previous one died on me. I bought flow on the pevious PS3. Got home, downloaded flow on the new PS3 and tried to play, just before the game launches, the screen returns to XMB with this error: " There is an error During Startup (80010017)"... But I did Active my new PS3... So I went back into Account Management ([Friends] [Account Management]), de-activated and activated again, PROBLEM RESOVLED. Seems like the machine isn't happy with activation before download, I guess.

Blaze4Life86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Blaze4Life86

It's your Blu Ray lens, if it's on it's way out newer games tend to cause it issues. Although I'd go buy a cleaner for it before doing anything drastic.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Blaze4Life86 said:
    " It's your Blu Ray lens, if it's on it's way out newer games tend to cause it issues. Although I'd go buy a cleaner for it before doing anything drastic. "
    I don't think that's the problem, wouldn't the game simply not play? Or freeze up? I don't think there's an error for this.

I'd say it has to do with the internet but if you say that the game just locks, you may want to wait for a patch or bring it back to the shop and see if it works on their PS3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.