Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

Liking Brink in spite of its flaws....

zebwinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zebwinz

Let me start off by saying that Brink is not a great game. Hell, it's probably not even a good game but I have been having fun with it on occasion for a couple of reasons.

1- Some easy to grab achievements
    The completion achievements are especially easy. Just start a level in co-op mode on easy. Sometimes you're lucky enough to join a match right before your team wins and you'll get credit for completing the level. Even the 3-star challenge achievement (100 points) is fairly easy. Just make sure to use a level one character- do the tower defense first because it will be the most difficult later as the AI matches your level.

2- Higher level perks can be fun/fulfilling
    Once you push past the early levels, some of the higher level unlocks can be quite rewarding. Even something as simple as upgrading a command post to boost your teams health is fun to do and feels like you are benefiting the team in a meaningful way. Being able to build a turret that does real damage later on is great too.

3- Co-op is where it's at
    DO NOT play this game with bots and a high level character. It is only going to frustrate you, guaranteed. Vs. mode can get really laggy (although it seems slightly better with the new matchmaking update allowing only 8 players in a match).  But co-op is how Brink is meant to be played. When your team is working together, with a good seperation of the different classes, matches can be really fun. I have only been playing with strangers on Xbox live, but nearly every match was filled with people actually playing the game right. Maybe i've been extremely lucky, or maybe this type of multiplayer shooter attracts better team players.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By huntad

Yeah, I've been playing it and have been enjoying it so far. What do you mean by coop? Like comp stomp matches? Thanks.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Azteck

I'm still interested in this game, but I'm just not 400 SEK interested. 150.. maybe.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Same here, also the SMART system is just so damned useful. I was playing Borderlands and Bad Company 2 after I played some Brink and I found myself becoming extremely annoyed at how archaic getting over obstacles felt. I do enjoy the game a hell of a lot but until they fix the lag issues I myself just wouldn't be able to recommend the game. I do love that SMART system though, sliding + the ability that tells you when someone is aiming at you has saved my life more than once.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zityz

Well as long as your enjoying it then it's great. My buddy told me he can actually play it better on pc now they fixed the ATI issues with screen tearing. As long as your enjoying it that's what matters. Only problem that will happen I'm seeing is there there might not be enough variety for a long term game. Like L4D and L4D2 had 4 and 5?maps but at least it had different modes and such for each playthough plus Free support and custom maps.

If Brink needs to keep an audience ( as Niche as it is) it will need to do something along that line. Release the SDK for people on PC to mod and make their own campaigns to continue its longevity. As it's stands right now. 8 maps and leveling doesn't do too much if the core game itself is something left to be desired.  
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaptainTightPants
    @zityz: The developers have said that they will be releasing the first DLC for free, so that is a good start.
    Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Teirdome

I really do wonder if there's something wrong with my taste in games because I've been enjoying it as well.  It's even more fun when I can get a couple friends to join in comp-stompin, even on hard.  Like you said, being level 10+ and trying to play solo is frustrating, you'll have to kill the entire other team solo every 20 seconds.

Maybe I played too many of those MMORPGERS or something...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Teirdome said:
    I really do wonder if there's something wrong with my taste in games because I've been enjoying it as well.  It's even more fun when I can get a couple friends to join in comp-stompin, even on hard.  Like you said, being level 10+ and trying to play solo is frustrating, you'll have to kill the entire other team solo every 20 seconds.Maybe I played too many of those MMORPGERS or something...
    Most of the hate on the forums come from people who have not played the game and are going by the review. 
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DystopiaX
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Teirdome said:
    I really do wonder if there's something wrong with my taste in games because I've been enjoying it as well.  It's even more fun when I can get a couple friends to join in comp-stompin, even on hard.  Like you said, being level 10+ and trying to play solo is frustrating, you'll have to kill the entire other team solo every 20 seconds.Maybe I played too many of those MMORPGERS or something...
    Most of the hate on the forums come from people who have not played the game and are going by the review. 
    You have no way to prove this...and I've seen a few people defend this game even BEFORE it came out, and there was no evidence they'd played it either.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Easy achievements, the classes not being completely fulfilling to play off the bat, and "Don't play the singleplayer" are not compelling reasons to try Brink in my mind.

This just seems like a slightly better console alternative to TF2 because Valve will never update TF2 on consoles.

And I'm not entirely sure Brink is an upgrade from that.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Pinworm45
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Teirdome said:
    Even if this is true - and given that the game sold very well on steam but the amount of players on steam plumetted right away - do you not feel that the problems in the Giant Bomb Quick Look that were also reported in almost all reviews (in addition to others) are not exactly opinion? I mean, you can't really have the opinion that the AI looked good in the quick look.. can you?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Pinworm45 said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Teirdome said:
    Even if this is true - and given that the game sold very well on steam but the amount of players on steam plumetted right away - do you not feel that the problems in the Giant Bomb Quick Look that were also reported in almost all reviews (in addition to others) are not exactly opinion? I mean, you can't really have the opinion that the AI looked good in the quick look.. can you?
    I even said a few times the AI is crap. But when you play with others. Its much better. Also if you play on hard and at higher levels seems the AI is better. I got loves of revives and buffs. It was strange that it might be tied to difficultly. 
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm
    @DystopiaX said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Teirdome said:
    You have no way to prove this...and I've seen a few people defend this game even BEFORE it came out, and there was no evidence they'd played it either.
    If you pay attention to the Brink forum here at least halfway like a retard, it'd be quite easy to spot. Everybody's talking like they're trying to start fuckin' Brink memes. You can spot that shit a mile away. I can, at least.
    jakonovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By jakonovski

Strangely enough, I'm loving Brink on the PC. Technically the latest patch made it work perfectly on my rig, so I've no qualms there (although it's probably still a crapshoot every time a new user tries it for the first time). The biggest fault of the game is that Bethesda managed to create a complete marketing failure, which led to overhyping and disappointment. The lack of a single player campaign was the big one for me, and still is (all that potential, wasted!), but I got over it enough to appreciate what they did deliver.

zebwinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zebwinz
    @LordXavierBritish: Very true; i wasn't trying to compel anyone to play it, just saying that I have been able to get some enjoyment from it. 
    This game is one of the many reasons I love Gamefly! No way is it worth 60 bucks, but I can play it for a week and wring all of the enjoyment out of it for sure!
    jschmuck2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jschmuck2

I didn't pay full price for it but even then it seems incomplete and full of jank.
    Something I find that not many are mentioning is the almost total lack of the game teaching you how to play it. I oftentimes would find myself running around with no clue what was happening and why and with 1800 character voices shouting different things at me, it was tough to figure it out.

reverendericd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By reverendericd

I am having a blast with Brink.  Lag is a bit of an issue, but much less so since I upgraded my internet speed to FiOS 25/25  :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.