Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

EA Publishing Brütal Legend

• 52 results
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Double Fine certainly has had trouble hanging onto publishers. Its first game, the critically adored but widely ignored Psychonauts, was originally to be published by Microsoft, though in the midst of a protracted development process, the game got dropped, eventually getting picked up by Majesco. Similarly, Double Fine had a deal with Vivendi to publish its next game, Brütal Legend, a heavy-metal action adventure game featuring Jack Black as a hellbound roadie, but after Vivendi's merger with Activision, it got the boot for not being a property that could be cranked out year after year. I don't think there was ever much doubt that someone would eventually pick up Brütal Legend for distribution, but this morning's announcement that EA would be publishing the game through its Partners program was still a relief.

It's also reassuring to see that, even amidst all its financial turmoil, EA isn't shying away from publishing independently developed, somewhat riskier games like this. The press release goes on to confirm that Brütal Legend will be coming to both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in fall 2009, and that Tim Schafer will be unveiling the first gameplay trailer for the game at the Spike TV Video Game Awards this weekend. You can read the full release below, while you contemplate the probability of a Brütal Legend/Rock Band crossover.

Redwood City, CA – December 12th, 2008 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Double Fine Productions, Inc. today announced that they have signed an exclusive publishing agreement that will bring the highly-anticipated rock-adventure Brütal Legend™ to gamers, headbangers, roadies and rockers worldwide next Fall. The latest creation from gaming icon Tim Schafer and the award-winning team at Double Fine, Brütal Legend is a 3rd person Action/Adventure game starring Jack Black in the role of roadie Eddie Riggs, who sets on an epic quest to build an army of rockers with only a broad axe, a big block V8 and his faithful guitar in hand.

“This is awesome news!” stated Tim Schafer, President of Double Fine Productions. “The quality and creativity of the games EA Partners has been involved with make it a perfect home for our baby, Brütal Legend. Some people were starting to wonder if the saga of Eddie Riggs would ever see the light of day, but now I think it’s clear that this game, like Metal itself, cannot be killed!”

“Brütal Legend is shaping up to be a creative tour de force,” said David DeMartini, Senior Vice President and General Manager, EA Partners. ”At EAP, we are deeply committed to giving the industry’s elite independent developers a platform to launch their creations to a worldwide audience. Tim Schafer is known for some of the richest stories and characters in our industry, and with Jack Black offering his vocal stylings for Eddie Riggs, we are extremely excited to help Tim and his talented team at Double Fine see their vision come to fruition.”

Brütal Legend tells the tale of Eddie Riggs, played by Jack Black, who is drawn back through time to a mythical world dripped in Rock and Roll folklore; where great Metal titans once ruled and power chords rang from the countryside for all to hear. When an oppressed people request Eddie’s knowledge of modern warfare, he pulls from his own experience in the only occupation he’s ever had, a roadie for a Heavy Metal band. From this springs the most hellacious army man has ever seen, and thus brings this ancient world into the Age of Metal.

Also be sure to catch Tim Schafer and Jack Black unveil the first gameplay trailer for Brütal Legend at the 2008 Video Game Awards live this Sunday, December 14th at 9pm EST on Spike TV.

Brütal Legend will be available for the Xbox 360® video game system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system Fall 2009.

Double Fine is represented by CAA.

For more information on Brütal Legend please visit www.brutallegend.com.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Double Fine certainly has had trouble hanging onto publishers. Its first game, the critically adored but widely ignored Psychonauts, was originally to be published by Microsoft, though in the midst of a protracted development process, the game got dropped, eventually getting picked up by Majesco. Similarly, Double Fine had a deal with Vivendi to publish its next game, Brütal Legend, a heavy-metal action adventure game featuring Jack Black as a hellbound roadie, but after Vivendi's merger with Activision, it got the boot for not being a property that could be cranked out year after year. I don't think there was ever much doubt that someone would eventually pick up Brütal Legend for distribution, but this morning's announcement that EA would be publishing the game through its Partners program was still a relief.

It's also reassuring to see that, even amidst all its financial turmoil, EA isn't shying away from publishing independently developed, somewhat riskier games like this. The press release goes on to confirm that Brütal Legend will be coming to both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in fall 2009, and that Tim Schafer will be unveiling the first gameplay trailer for the game at the Spike TV Video Game Awards this weekend. You can read the full release below, while you contemplate the probability of a Brütal Legend/Rock Band crossover.

Redwood City, CA – December 12th, 2008 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Double Fine Productions, Inc. today announced that they have signed an exclusive publishing agreement that will bring the highly-anticipated rock-adventure Brütal Legend™ to gamers, headbangers, roadies and rockers worldwide next Fall. The latest creation from gaming icon Tim Schafer and the award-winning team at Double Fine, Brütal Legend is a 3rd person Action/Adventure game starring Jack Black in the role of roadie Eddie Riggs, who sets on an epic quest to build an army of rockers with only a broad axe, a big block V8 and his faithful guitar in hand.

“This is awesome news!” stated Tim Schafer, President of Double Fine Productions. “The quality and creativity of the games EA Partners has been involved with make it a perfect home for our baby, Brütal Legend. Some people were starting to wonder if the saga of Eddie Riggs would ever see the light of day, but now I think it’s clear that this game, like Metal itself, cannot be killed!”

“Brütal Legend is shaping up to be a creative tour de force,” said David DeMartini, Senior Vice President and General Manager, EA Partners. ”At EAP, we are deeply committed to giving the industry’s elite independent developers a platform to launch their creations to a worldwide audience. Tim Schafer is known for some of the richest stories and characters in our industry, and with Jack Black offering his vocal stylings for Eddie Riggs, we are extremely excited to help Tim and his talented team at Double Fine see their vision come to fruition.”

Brütal Legend tells the tale of Eddie Riggs, played by Jack Black, who is drawn back through time to a mythical world dripped in Rock and Roll folklore; where great Metal titans once ruled and power chords rang from the countryside for all to hear. When an oppressed people request Eddie’s knowledge of modern warfare, he pulls from his own experience in the only occupation he’s ever had, a roadie for a Heavy Metal band. From this springs the most hellacious army man has ever seen, and thus brings this ancient world into the Age of Metal.

Also be sure to catch Tim Schafer and Jack Black unveil the first gameplay trailer for Brütal Legend at the 2008 Video Game Awards live this Sunday, December 14th at 9pm EST on Spike TV.

Brütal Legend will be available for the Xbox 360® video game system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system Fall 2009.

Double Fine is represented by CAA.

For more information on Brütal Legend please visit www.brutallegend.com.
    mikmanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mikmanner

can't wait!

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Foil1212

"but after Vivendi's merger with Activision, it got the boot for not being a property that could be cranked out year after year."

This is why I hate activision.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BinaryDragon

Can't wait to find out what this game is actually like. Bring on Spike TV.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By WickedCobra03

This is going to be awesome!  I am so happy that they got a publisher.  I love psychonauts and this game is probably going to be just as amazing!

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By DeepSpace9MM

Man, it's weird to not hate EA anymore. I'm just feeling so confused inside. Anyways, I'm glad to see Brutal Legend get picked up. Hopefully, it'll get the respect it deserves at retail, unlike Psychonauts did.

9mmfistcuffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 9mmfistcuffs

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

About bloody time; I was so pissed when Vivendi dropped it, and the lack of takers was just appaling.
    Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Spencer

Oh what a glorious day it is.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ProfessorEss

Glad to see it's out of limbo.
    Easily my #1 most anticipated game of 2009 for me.

...or knowing Tim Schafer... 2010 :P

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Venatio

Good news

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By kush

This is quite possibly the best news I've heard all week...definitely the best news of the day.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oraknabo

This is excellent news. I'm really loving EA this year.

I wonder if we'll get a Hoagie cameo before Eddie gets ported through time.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TDot

Don't fuck this up EA

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By zoozilla

This is great news!

EA, maybe you're not so bad after all...

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Smart move by EA. Eddie Riggs will now be unlockable in Rock Band 3. I guarantee it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24

YEEEAH! This is great! I have been waiting to hear who was gonna pick this one up!

kuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kuddles

I really hope moves like this eventually start paying off, because right now it's looking like the lesson is:

Old EA: Make garbage and re-treads = Boatloads of money
    New EA: Start making original IPs and team up with Harmonix, Valve, or buy studios like BioWare and leave them alone to do what they want = Lose money like crazy and layoff people and make cuts.
    Activision: Be even worse than EA ever was = Make even more boatloads of money.

bigcess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By bigcess

Shocker. And a reason to love EA again.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hungrynun

I am going to buy this game.

Oh yes.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By Death_Burnout

This is a relief!

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By MadBootsy

Go Tim Schafer Go!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187

Man, EA is so fucking awesome.  = D  First Dead Space, then Mirror's Edge (which while it wasn't perfect, it was fucking original), and now Brutal Legend?

Pinch me, I'm dreaming.  These guys are turning back into the company I loved when they were releasing games like Road Rash II.  = D
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox

I had a feeling DF would go to EA's Partner program

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice, psychonauts was great, hope this is as good,

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Maybe Brutal Legend wll get the advertising it deserves now that it got picked up by EA, unlike a past Tim Schafer project....

ColinVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ColinVI

Hopefully this will get an early Fall Release ala Bioshock, It would suck for this game to get swamped by the inevitiable holiday retreads.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoelTGM

EA is a cool guy

henrik_zwomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By henrik_zwomp

Awesome! Surprised it was EA that picked up the game. I guess I haven't realized how much EA has changed the last year.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By papercut

YES! With EA behind this game, hopefully people will start knowing who Tim Shafer is.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30  Edited By dsplayer1010

It's official. EA has redeemed themselves for everything

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrRedwine

I think something that people have to realize about the video game industry is that it will never financially reward innovation.  Innovation and originality are great, but the unwashed masses prefer a game that has stood the test of time and been iterated on a few times.  Sad, but true.

So, thank you EA for doing the right thing and supporting the original stuff lately.  And thank you to all the yearly purchasers of Madden for funding it for all of us players out here.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Rowr

Can I get a HELL YES?

Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Anderson

EA is.... awesome?  Huh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c468a9482ba9
    deactivated-5c468a9482ba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK YEAH!

Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Doomshine

Hell yeah! Heavy metal is the law!

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By megalowho

A relief indeed. It gives me great hope for the industry when talents like Tim Schafer can make whatever kind of game that comes into their head without compromise and with the financial backing and advertising muscle of a major publisher like EA. DoubleFine doesn't deserve to be jerked around like they have in the past, wondering where the money will come from to complete their vison. They need to focus on what they do best - making unique and excellent games.

Major props to EA, specifically EA Partners, and here's hoping everyone involved comes out smiles in the end - especially us, who now will certainly be playing this potentially awesome title in the near future.

And yeah, Brutal Legend is a Day One purchase for me, no questions asked.
    Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aaron_G

Nice to hear it got picked up by someone even if it is EA.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aurelito

Even an airport transit company would try to get the  publishing right for this game if its owner played Grim Fandango just for once, i don't know why Activision dropped it. but i'm not surprised because EA has been reformed in last few months, and Activsion is the deformed one now. it took me one campaign to give up playing CoD: WaW. cheer up for next one to be totally unplayable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I can`t wait for this title : D

thomasmolby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thomasmolby

I thought i would never say this but:

EA is awesome!!! seriously look at Skate 2 and Burnout Paradise! now there is even talk of EA giving Need For Speed a much deserved coup- de-grace.

now if only they would get their games on steam.... and quit drm for the pc...

MePlayGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MePlayGames

I've been waiting for someone to pick this up, it seems so epic. :D

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By Tordah

I hope this game will turn out great!

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lepuke

This is most excellent news indeed.

Fiziks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Fiziks

Finally a real game in the vein of Heavy Metal. Most excellent.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ghostin

Everytime I see news on this game it somehow re-affirms why this hobby is... well... great.  Looking back it's amazing how many of the games that make me feel like that have had Schafer's name on the box.

It's normally about now I try to hold my expectation in check, but I'm just hoping more people get to play this one... and that marketing departments don't infect it with synergy.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jNerd

"but after Vivendi's merger with Activison, it got the boot for not being a property that could be cranked out year after year."

activision would have moar win if they'd filter some of teh gay

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

It sounds a lot like the Den story from Heavy Metal.

mjwickstrom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By mjwickstrom1

Jack Black hyped this game up so much, and then the trailer looked completely gay. I just wanna know what this game is about, and what about it is supposed to be so great, because nothing I saw on it last night looked special.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hatking

That is a really clever comment MrRedwine....I like that.

I thought the game looked like a ratchet and clank game based in a high school classic rock fan's wet dream...basically my dream game five years ago.  I guess I owe it to my inner youth to play this game...and bonus I'm not on the side of the crowd who hates Jack Black...infact I like Jack Black.

Blazer74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blazer74

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.