Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 03, 2014

The eleventh installment of the Call of Duty franchise (and the first spearheaded by Sledgehammer Games) brings modern military thirty years into the future, as new technology (including powered exoskeleton frames and cloaking devices) makes a certain Private Military Corporation the dominant military force of the world.

Will Advanced Warfare be Jeff's GOTY?

• 65 results
    JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 4

He has yet to review a game five stars this year, and judging by the podcasts and other mentions in random videos, he seems to have gotten addicted to it (well, maybe not by now). I can't think of another game this year that made him particularly excited or anything. I know he liked Titanfall, Infamous, and Diablo a fair amount, though I highly doubt Diablo will count for this year (at least it shouldn't). I remember him enjoying South Park and Wolfenstein too, though I'm not sure he ever finished either. Do you feel Advanced Warfare will take his #1? I just find it odd that it's a possibility, despite the series continuing to fail to recreate the "greatness" that came from the first two Modern Warfares.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

I don't know, haven't heard him talk that much about it, but I didn't get the impression that he thought it was fantastic, just a step in the right direction after Ghosts? It may make his top ten list, but I doubt he'd put it as his #1.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't think so. Jeff did seem to like the game, but I don't think he was enamored by it. It's a reasonably well-made Call of Duty game, and I think it's great that the series is getting back on track, but it shouldn't take the top spot for this year-- it lost that privilege like 3-4 games ago, and it's going to take a lot more than Kevin Spacey and dash boosts to regain it.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I wouldn't be surprised if it made it in the top ten at least. It's still Call of Dury but it's a damn good one and makes great strides graphically and mechanically. I am normally one to magnetize towards The battlefield style kind of multiplayer but I had a blast with AW.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Honestly I have zero idea what Jeff's favorite game is this year. I don't think anything has really grabbed him.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jazzpunk.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he liked it, but the way he talks about it, I would be surprised if it was his number one.

Still, I know Brad was talking about having trouble even coming up with 5 games for his top 10, so... I guess it's all up in the air for everyone.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Jnal

I think this year is not going to be a real fight for what is number one but what deserves to be top ten because I can't really even think of 10 games. I assume there will be a few more indie games in this years list for everyone. Jeff typically likes the big dumb stupid games like Call of Duty and Far Cry. I haven't heard Jeff say much about any games but I'm hoping Mordor ends up being the overall game of the year. I didn't grab me like it did others but it was one of the few games I beat this year and I would like to see more of that nemesis system expanded on and utilized in more games like a mercenaries game like they were talking about On the podcast. After that ramble I will say Far Cry 4 will have a good shot for Jeff's number one.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He'll probably go for Far Cry 4, maybe. If he does try to push Advanced Warfare then the only thing I can think of him saying is, "The movement is so good", or something like that.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NeoCalypso

Nope, no way it manages to beat out WWE Supercard.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By Lelcar

@slag said:

Honestly I have zero idea what Jeff's favorite game is this year. I don't think anything has really grabbed him.

I agree. This has been a weird gaming year for Jeff Gerstmann.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I don't really know what any editor will pick for their GOTY this year. MAYBE Shadow of Modor for Brad?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah I don't think Jeff's been super hot on any game this year, it'll be weird to see between 5-10 from him this year. Poor guy :(

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jaypb08 said:

though I highly doubt Diablo will count for this year (at least it shouldn't).

Expansion came out this year.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrfluke

@slag said:

i feel like with the exception of Brad and Dan (who's goty are most likely shadow of mordor) the favorite games from the staff members are going to be really interesting this year.

this whole year, those top 10s are going to be interesting.

also i feel like bayonetta 2 is a dark horse contender for goty

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Opinions and everything, but if it is anyone's game of the year I will be super bummed out.

I honestly think Destiny will be Brad's game of the year. He will feign that he understands and agrees with the criticisms but he fiercely fight to get it in the top 3 at least, then it will be his personal number 1. I fully expect, and agree, that Destiny should be #1 disappointment of 2014.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I think it's very obvious what Jeff's GOTY will be this year.

I mean, what other game has Super Rare Alberto Del Rio?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who fell off the call of duty bandwagon around modern warfare 2 and black ops and havent played one since, advanced warfare is a really great game. One of the best of the year, in my opinion. The exo suit stuff really just feels good and makes getting around effortless. Also, kill confirmed is really fun (not sure when that mode got put in the series).

I wouldn't recommend paying 60 dollars for it (I paid 40) because it is still very much a call of duty game, and you're, probably, even more fatigued with the series if you play it every year, but for me (not having played one in 3 years) its really fun. I forgot how much fun these games were, and the exo suit exemplifies that.

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zamolxes
    Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lelcar: Did Jazzpunk came out this year? I know he loved that

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By AssInAss

@mak_wikus said:

Jazzpunk.

That would be amazing. Funniest game I've ever played.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Did Jeff ever finish Wolfenstein?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Cirdain

@assinass said:

@mak_wikus said:

Jazzpunk.

That would be amazing. Funniest game I've ever played.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Did Jeff ever finish Wolfenstein?

It's fucking glorious, needs to be in the top 5 at least. My personal GOTY though.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly doubt it, but I guess we'll see. I think Wolfenstein will be up there, though.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JohnTunoku

Well Jeff is all about the mechanics right? And he seems to rather like the mechanics in Advanced Warfare, so it'll probably be on the list, I don't know about the top though. Hasn't really been a Jeff game year. Most of the things up his alley have disappointed.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if it is good on him and he should like what he damn likes

but if i had to guess it miiiiggghhhtt be....

PRESS UP TO RAUS \m/

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AW or Far Cry 4 I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AW, FC4 and Jazzpunk are the only games he enjoyed this year as far as I can tell.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

I really hope Mordor doesn't win for most of them because man what a lifeless boring game that strangely ended up on this high pedestal. Hopefully they dig back into releases from earlier this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Far Cry 4 was Jeff's GOTY but it's really up in the air I think.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I hated Jazzpunk...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@slag said:

WWE Supercard.

Yeah he's been a downer all year. Even for Jeff.

@humanity said:

I really hope Mordor doesn't win for most of them because man what a lifeless boring game that strangely ended up on this high pedestal. Hopefully they dig back into releases from earlier this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Far Cry 4 was Jeff's GOTY but it's really up in the air I think.

Yeah I don't get why "the enemies change" is that big of a deal to make that game a revelation. It just felt like a pretty good Assassin's Creed game.

I feel like there hasn't been much to stand out this year besides Dragon Age but I think Jeff is just set against that one for whatever reason.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be well deserved, best call of duty game in years probably my favorite fps this year.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be up there but I doubt it will be number 1.

It was good but it certainly wasn't the best thing that came out this year. I want Jeff to play Bayonetta 2. I think that he'd love it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm guessing Jeff liked FarCry 4 more than he did Advanced Warfare. He didn't say it anywhere, but that's the impression I have.

@humanity said:

Mordor is easily the worst game I've played this year. The best thing I can say about that game is that it has very interesting ideas that it completely fails to deliver on. I know it's a weird grey area to not like it when someone disagrees with you, but I would honestly feel bad if that game got in the top 5, not even mentioning winning the actual GOTY.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to assume that all the GOTY discussion podcasts will just be a deep, collective sigh and then Jeff saying "There's always next year."

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Nope

mintyice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo 3 for PS4

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: Don't be crazy. It will probably make Brad's top 10 but he knows he can't win that fight. It won't even make the overall top 10, never mind top 3.

Really bummed by the front runners this year. Bayoneta sounds like a fun distraction but I don't know what would push me to finish it if I bought it and not drop it 3 quarters of the way through like I did with the first game. The story in shadow of mordor was bad and they did very little with the cool ideas they had in there. Sunset overdrive sounds cool but kinda limited and simple. Far Cry 4 is more Far Cry 3. Too bad most of them don't care about Dragon Age or SSB.,.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: You clearly haven't paid attention to Brad's feigning of Destiny being a disappointment over the past 2+ months :D Also, he does this kind of thing every year.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: Brad isn't stupid, he knows the best everyone had to say about destiny was mouth fart noises. After it wins most disapointing game of the year there's no way he's going to fight for a top 10 stop. I swear, people are way too hung up on that skyrim vs SR:tT argument.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: if I'm not mistaken he was also one of the people who talked down Alex last year with his insistence that Mario be included, which it wasn't. He just has an addictive personality, which can easily be tracked through the year's Bombcasts. I can literally guarantee Brad will get addicted to a game and talk it to death across almost every episode of a podcast over several months. Then it will break slightly and then its something new.

I'm not really complaining as much as declaring fact; it is what it is.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gonna be Mario Party.

emanc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff seemed to really like Reaper of Souls

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: you know he's not with the company anymore, right?

I'd love to see him pick Super Card though as a commentary on this years lackluster offering.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mbradley1992

I've heard this before elsewhere, that COD:AW may be one of the best games of the year, and that it may be the best FPS this year.

Did everyone suddenly forget Wolfenstein? When that came out, it was incredible. It stole most of the positive press from Watch_Dogs. It wasn't supposed to be that good, and yet it came out right before Watch_Dogs, a huge, hyped up Ubisoft release, and stole the show in May. But yet I feel like everyone is forgetting that it even came out whenever I see nominees or people talk about GOTY stuff. Not that it is bad, but just forgotten. The staff, for the most part, loved it. So I'd have a hard time seeing a "good" COD winning over something like Wolfenstein, that isn't annualized and wasn't supposed to be as good as it was. COD just got back to being a "good" COD game this year after last year's disappointment.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@artisanbreads: Dragon Age just seems empirically like a game he wouldn't enjoy. It's slow paced, with a lot of reading and traditional role playing elements. I won't say I know Jeff per-se, but from what I've seen along the years that is not the sort of experience he enjoys. Borderlands is probably the closest thing to an RPG that I've seen him take a liking to and that is probably only because it's a very fast paced action game without a lot of the typical heavy dialog. Jeff likes stuff like Gunpoint, Far Cry, Syndicate, Saints Row - games you get in and they just go. This is why I was always surprised that he seemed to think Gone Home was great as I was hoping he would be the one person out of the group to say "this is sorta neat but it's not all that amazing guys." Although I'm sure he would just say he liked it because it was a "good game." Always keeping us on our toes that Jeff.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No idea, this is going to be a tough year, so far I would go with Sunset Overdrive as my GOTY, fine game definitely, but man.. not a lot to pick from.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. My guess is that Jeffs GOTY is going to be Destiny. Why else would he spend a half-hour every week to talk about it.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I seriously doubt it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.