Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 06, 2015

Set 40 years after the events of Black Ops II, the twelfth installment of the Call of Duty series brings advanced robotics and biotic augmentations to the clandestine operations of the Black Ops storyline.

Weird Title Censoring for Black Ops 3

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I have tried to rename multiple Classes in the "Create a Class" option in Black Ops 3 to very basic and sensible names like "Main Assault" and "SMG" to no avail. I am told (on the PS4 version at least) that those names are not able to be used because they are offensive or not allowed for some reason. This is weird to me because I have been able to use these exact names in previous installations of the COD franchise.

Has anyone else had these issues or know any reason why these specific names and ones like them are banned? Maybe even let me know what they may be referencing to that makes them so offensive?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My guess is that some of the letters in a row are profanity in some other language, and I think it's the PSN doing the censoring. Xbox has the same, but different issues. I can use "assault" on PSN, but couldn't for years in COD games on Xbox 360. I was always able to use "shotgun" on 360, but can't on PSN. Ended up going with "boomstick" as a replacement.

It's all a little silly, especially considering that no one else sees the name of your classes, and the fact that you'll see things FAR more offensive on various player emblems.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would not let me name my class "SHOTGUN". This makes zero sense.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I seem to remember trying to make an "assault" class in AW for PS4 and having it blocked. Weird, for sure.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would not let me name my class "SHOTGUN". This makes zero sense.

Like I said, I'm betting it's an issue with other languages when you're naming something that the system believes might be seen by other users, even though it won't be. Just as "mrheyfuckyouman" would be banned for containing English profanity in it, perhaps "hotgu" or "sho" or "otgun" is somehow offensive to someone, somewhere in the world.

ASSault always made more sense to be banned, but not when it comes to a game where characters say motherfucker and occationally explode each other into chunks.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used Boomstick for Shotgun, Sub instead of SMG, and Snizz instead of Snipe/r (I'm not the biggest fan of this one but whatever). Assault and LMG both worked fine for me (on PS4)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: @overnow: @whitegreyblack: @iamterics: @spence_5060:

Just thought you all might want to know, but since the latest game update, the PS4 version doesn't seem to be doing this nonsense anymore.

Recently, I've been able to successfully make classes named "shotgun," "SMG," and "Sniper." Just to see if the profanity filter had been removed entirely, I decided to rename my anti-killstreak / anti-air support class "OH SHIT." That one didn't work.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Thanks for the update. I jumped over to Fallout for a bit but I'll be sure to take advantage of this next time I throw this game in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.