Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Black Ops Processor

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IcySandman

I can run MW2 at high graphics with this setup, but I went on a website that shows hardware compatibility and it said I would need a better Processor.  

Current Setup is:  Core 2 Duo E4500, Nvidia 8800GT, 4gb of RAM (3.25 due to XP)  What kind of graphics settings would this probably get me ingame?  I've been looking at processors, I want to stay with Intel and was looking at the I3 and I5 series and the Core 2 Quad (Or is it quad core?)  My budget is 100-200$, I just want one that would get me a better than average FPS at High settings.  What's your choice duders?  Or what is a better alternative?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

I wouldn't really trust websites that take a glance at your specs and spit out if you can run it or not (or play it decently) if that's what you were using. The game should more or less be similar in spec requirements as MW2. I'm not sure if they completely ironed out the performance issues, but there would be stuttering and various technical issues that rendered the game rather unplayable. Stuttering has been fixed now I think, CPU isn't overworked.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

Just use those sites as a guideline. They have never been completely accurate. They like to tell me i cant run Assassin's Creed on this computer I own. It runs fine though. So, just sayin.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AnimalFather

buy a 360 and forget about this spec bickering nonsense.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @AnimalFather said:
    " buy a 360 and forget about this spec bickering nonsense. "
    This. Well, technically I have the game on PS3, but same difference. 
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SomeJerk
    @IcySandman said:

" I can run MW2 at high graphics with this setup, but I went on a website that shows hardware compatibility and it said I would need a better Processor.   Current Setup is:  Core 2 Duo E4500, Nvidia 8800GT, 4gb of RAM (3.25 due to XP)  What kind of graphics settings would this probably get me ingame?  I've been looking at processors, I want to stay with Intel and was looking at the I3 and I5 series and the Core 2 Quad (Or is it quad core?)  My budget is 100-200$, I just want one that would get me a better than average FPS at High settings.  What's your choice duders?  Or what is a better alternative? "

It's going to be tricky to find but there are plenty of 2-3 times as powerful processors for your socket (775), you can go for it and make that rig last much longer by adding that and a fresh graphics card for $200.

If you want to play it in below 720p resolutions never going past 60 FPS with lower graphics details and with a joypad and be forced to endure peer to peer server hosting and everything that involves, while paying an additional $60 a year to be able to play online in the first place, then you should get a 360.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@MooseyMcMan said:

" @AnimalFather said:

This. Well, technically I have the game on PS3, but same difference.  "
    Enjoy your low-res rubbish and auto-aim!
    AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AnimalFather
    @Khann: 

looks pretty badass on my 40inch HD LCD 1080P 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a recent patch that increased performance for people with only 2 cores on their processor (at the expense of people with more cores) so you should be fine.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269

Who let the slow console children in? /troll comment 

I'm using an i5 which is perfect for me. 

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IcySandman
    @Meteora: I guess I should have added in that my friend has the same processor and it lags on him alot, the website simply got me a little speculative about my rig. 
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Rockdalf
    @AnimalFather said:
    " @Khann:  looks pretty badass on my 40inch HD LCD 1080P 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound. "
    Does the sound make it look better?
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By meteora
    @somejerk said:

" @IcySandman said:

" I can run MW2 at high graphics with this setup, but I went on a website that shows hardware compatibility and it said I would need a better Processor.   Current Setup is:  Core 2 Duo E4500, Nvidia 8800GT, 4gb of RAM (3.25 due to XP)  What kind of graphics settings would this probably get me ingame?  I've been looking at processors, I want to stay with Intel and was looking at the I3 and I5 series and the Core 2 Quad (Or is it quad core?)  My budget is 100-200$, I just want one that would get me a better than average FPS at High settings.  What's your choice duders?  Or what is a better alternative? "

It's going to be tricky to find but there are plenty of 2-3 times as powerful processors for your socket (775), you can go for it and make that rig last much longer by adding that and a fresh graphics card for $200.  If you want to play it in below 720p resolutions never going past 60 FPS with lower graphics details and with a joypad and be forced to endure peer to peer server hosting and everything that involves, while paying an additional $60 a year to be able to play online in the first place, then you should get a 360. "
    The above +60 FPS remark is negligible unless your eyes can even tell the subtle differences. 

And don't pull me that bullshit that you can tell the "day and night differences".
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Marz

sandy bridge in January, I'd wait till then.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By salad10203

I don't own BLOPS but i understand it is horribly ported and there is a stuttering issue for any machine.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By bybeach

I love playing on Pc. Black ops worked beautiful for me, but my rig is unusual. Core quad extreme  6850, 2 8800 ultras in sli. There just no problems. The Crysis expansion pack ran great till the train seguence in the last third of the game. That 3 years ago has been the only thing to stress my rig. But of course in response, I'm building my first own next month .I just has to!

As for consoles, they have proved their worth. If I had no recourse, I`d say fine, though exclusivity sure becomes a bitch then, doesn't it? Thankfully sony added a bluray so as I could justify both. That way, I can keep from degenerating into one of them fanboys...
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @AnimalFather said:
    " @Khann:  looks pretty badass on my 40inch HD LCD 1080P 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound. "
    Does the sound make it look better? "
    Boom. I'll get the ice.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ch13696
    @AnimalFather said:
    Right, right. Hook that TV up to a PC and it will look hell of a lot better. Put your consoles to shame.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ch13696
    @salad10203 said:
    " I don't own BLOPS but i understand it is horribly ported and there is a stuttering issue for any machine. "
    I had the same problem, but the recent patch fixed that issue. So no more stuttering for anyone. Unless you have a crappy processor and graphics card.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I have a dual core sadly, but after some tweaking got it doing high/medium with 50fps on 1080p and like always I never go under 4xAA, looks terrible.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @Khann said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:

" @AnimalFather said:

This. Well, technically I have the game on PS3, but same difference.  "
    Enjoy your low-res rubbish and auto-aim! "
    This, I played Blops on my PC just before the latest patch, got pissed that it still ran like shit. Got my friends copy of the 360 version, it played well, but was HORRIBLE! I never go under 1080p or 4x AA, this had no AA.
    IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IcySandman

Oh uh, I'd never consider getting a console, sorry.  I've seen quad core processors on sale often at fries, would that be better than an I3 or I5?  I think I'll keep my graphics card for now; Still runs alot of new stuff pretty well in High settings..  

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Grelik

To me, the difference between console and PC is like going from no-name brand toilet paper to the real thick cottonelle stuff...  At first you're like "Eh, I don't see what all the fuss is about, stuff feels a little better, but it's not that great."  

Four weeks later, once you've become accustomed to it, go back to the no-name brand... and it's like wiping your ass with sandpaper... Only in this case, it's your eyes.  At least that's how I feel when I watch my room mate play BLOPS after playing it on my PC for hours on end.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AnimalFather
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @AnimalFather said:
    Does the sound make it look better? "

it hightens the experiance so ya
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @ch13696:
    While I don't get stuttering in game in general, the maps still take forever to load and the first firefight I get into still always stutters 9mking me die most of the time), after that it runs fine.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By emem
    @AnimalFather: Well, if you've got the money every multi platform game can be played on a big screen (TV or beamer), with 5.1 (or 7.1) sound and a gamepad by using a PC. But I still think people should play the way they like to play and stop talking down to people who prefer a different platform.. I enjoy playing games and I don't really care about the platform it's on. 

Right now the PC is the best platform out there, there's no doubt about it, but that can change in a few years whether people like it or not.
    reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By reign
    @IcySandman said:
    "  Oh uh, I'd never consider getting a console, sorry.  I've seen quad core processors on sale often at fries, would that be better than an I3 or I5?  I think I'll keep my graphics card for now; Still runs alot of new stuff pretty well in High settings..   "
    I assume you're aware that your motherboard can only accept certain processors right? (It's a Socket 775). 

While buying one could boost your performance, it wouldn't be all that great as far as bang for your buck goes. 

If you're looking to get a newer processor, you're going to need a new motherboard (AM3 for the current AMD line, or LGA 1156 for most of the Intel i-series) 

On top of that, you'll need to buy new ram that is compatible with the new motherboard.  

If you do all this, you'd want to buy at least a decent graphics card (8800GT is still pretty good though, i JUST upgraded mine to a GTX 460), and then might need a PSU upgrade since we're unaware of what yours is. 

tl:dr = if you want more performance, look into basically building a new computer from the ground up so you don't waste money on minor upgrades.
    IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IcySandman
    @REIGN: Damn, I never considered any of that, but a whole new PC would cost alot, I've never done that before..only getting a decent PC and putting some upgrades in it.  My PSU is decent, it was supposed to be like 100-150$, but I got it for 50$ because of an error online :D
    reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By reign
    @IcySandman: Yeah, I just half-rebuilt my computer myself because it was time to upgrade, but I wanted to keep it (relatively cheap).  

I got a new CPU, motherboard, ram, and a gfx card. 

Kept my old PSU, case, hdd, drives etc. 

It cost me just under ~$400 after rebates and now I pretty much have a computer that runs everything out there at high settings with a decent framerate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.