Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Is $35 for Black Ops (GoD - deal) worth it for a CoD-virgin

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jozzy

Sorry for the weird title, couldn't fit "for someone that never played a CoD game before".

I am seriously considering buying Black Ops as I have never played a CoD game before. Oh well, I did play singleplayer for some of the old ones but not any of the modern warfare ones. I haven't played a lot of multiplayer focused shooters before, I had a two week fling with monday night combat (with reasonable success) and Bad Company 2 (ouch). I could see myself having some fun with a more straight forward experience, and I am not tired of the famous CoD multiplayer formula as I never played it.

I know it's cool to hate on CoD but I am not cool anyway, and how can I consider myself a serious fan of gaming if I have never played one of the most popular games out there.

Was wondering if you guys have some arguments why I shouldn't buy this game. Do I need the map packs to be able to play online? Should I get the $19 Modern Warfare instead, is the multiplayer still popular for that one? Is it so frustrating to play for a relative shooter noob that I shouldn't bother?

Hit me with your wisdom please, my finger is hovering over the purchase button.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @jozzy said:

Do I need the map packs to be able to play online? Should I get the $19 Modern Warfare instead, is the multiplayer still popular for that one? Is it so frustrating to play for a relative shooter noob that I shouldn't bother?

You don't need any of the DLC maps to play Black Ops, and you'll never be put into games that use them.  As a first COD, I'd go with Black Ops over MW1 or MW2 or World at War.  Both World at War and MW1 are now filled with hackers who have ruined the game, so definitely don't go for those. 

Black Ops also has the fantastic theater mode, which allows you to watch any of up to 100 of the last games you recently played from the perspective of any player, which is wonderful for learning how good players play the game.  I'm not going to sugarcoat it; you're going to have a rough time for a while as a new player.   

I'd either go for Black Ops, or hold out for MW3.  Amazon often offers a 20 dollar credit on new COD titles, and they very well might do the same thing this year.  You also would be learning the maps and leveling up with everyone else, which could make things easier for someone getting into COD.   

Good luck with your decision.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jozzy

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@jozzy said:

Do I need the map packs to be able to play online? Should I get the $19 Modern Warfare instead, is the multiplayer still popular for that one? Is it so frustrating to play for a relative shooter noob that I shouldn't bother?

You don't need any of the DLC maps to play Black Ops, and you'll never be put into games that use them.

Thanks for the helpful advice, sounds like Black Ops is the one to buy - if I get one. Are there still many players playing the old maps?

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Surkov

If you've never played a COD game, then I recommend picking up COD4. Then go from there. 

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts
    @jozzy Yes there are tons of people still playing the old maps. Finding a match is basically instant and will be for a while.
    HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HoboZero

Any opinions on whether it's worth $35 for just the single player? I never touch CoD MP.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz
    @HoboZero said:
    Any opinions on whether it's worth $35 for just the single player? I never touch CoD MP.
    If Sam Worthington Aussie accent trying to play an American black ops soldier doesn't bother you, then it's an interesting single player campaign to play in my opinion.
    Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@HoboZero said:

My opinion: no. It's worth a rent/$10 purchase, but I really didn't like it in comparison to the 3 previous campaigns.

Other people seemed pretty up on it, though.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#9  Edited By MightyDuck

Too be honest, if you're solely going to play single player...then I'd go with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.  You can probably get that game much cheaper, and the single player was pretty well done, in my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.