Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

We're running some dedicated servers, y'all.

• 92 results
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By emem
    @CaptainObvious: Ah, I see. I remember having similar problems in some games and it has always been a driver/hardware problem.. I hope they manage to fix it soon, so you and all the others can enjoy the game. 

When I look at more than 130k people playing Black Ops on the PC (sp & mp combined) at the same time in the evening I really wonder if those guys are all lucky they can play or if they play with "lag".. weird.
    Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

I have the San Jose server saved in favorites.  At least I am 96% sure I do.  It lists the location as Los Angeles, but it is called Giant Bomb ][ Tested ][ Taurine Ginsing Surprise Los Angeles. 

If you want in, then give me an add in steam, my ID is the same as it is here.  I only found it because of pure luck.  The first time I booted up the multiplayer, I just hit the throw me into any ass game button, and it gave me the Giant Bomb server.  The server has been empty since though.  I haven't found people in it since day one.  It kinda seems like it was taken of the server browser list.  I will be on around the time of TNT and will invite as many people as I can.  Just be sure to spread the word to other Giant Bomb peeps.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By TwoOneFive

this is awesome, i wish i had a gamer pc

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By MayorFeedback

I have the Amsterdam server favorited, but it's empty right now (though it was full a couple hours ago). 

I don't see any way to search in the Server Browser, and it looks like the /connect console command has been disabled. But the server's IP is 173.199.110.139:3074 if that helps.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By JoelTGM

How long do you plan to keep the servers up?  Is it just for TNT?

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By ZimboDK
    @Jeff:  and everyone else:

Since we can't search or see all servers, there is still a way to connect to them.

Make a link in this format:

<a href="steam://connect/ServerIP?password=ServerPassword">Connect</a>

You can omit the ?password if the server isn't password protected. Should launch steam, get the server info and allow you to connect.
    Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Chronologist

Found it! 
    After the patch I seemed to find a lot more servers (7000 compared to the 400 I found before) :)  
    They're empty right now though :( 

mason_pat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mason_pat

Yeah, too bad the server list was fixed after the TNT 

Oh well, at least we can find the server

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By meteora

Jesus christ, 6,000 servers after a search is insane... It just takes literally a minute to display in the server browser.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Meteora said:
    " Jesus christ, 6,000 servers after a search is insane... It just takes literally a minute to display in the server browser. "
    It's at about 10,000 now. 

Anyway, I'm going to be on the Chicago Server if anyone wants to join now and play. Message me on steam (pinworm45) if you want an invite so you don't have to do the search.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By NoXious

I don't get it - why not allow us to direct connect to a server...
    All this basic functionality is what makes Dedicated Servers awesome, now it's just a smart way to drag monthly fees out of us!

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By meteora
    @NoXious said:
    " I don't get it - why not allow us to direct connect to a server...All this basic functionality is what makes Dedicated Servers awesome, now it's just a smart way to drag monthly fees out of us! "
    I don't think Activision is making profit off of renting services that don't belong to them. Maybe a small fee in some kind of agreement with the server provider, but not all of it. 

To me it seems more like some kind of countermeasure against piracy.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Mcfart
    @Meteora said:
    " @NoXious said:
    " I don't get it - why not allow us to direct connect to a server...All this basic functionality is what makes Dedicated Servers awesome, now it's just a smart way to drag monthly fees out of us! "
    I don't think Activision is making profit off of renting services that don't belong to them. Maybe a small fee in some kind of agreement with the server provider, but not all of it.  To me it seems more like some kind of countermeasure against piracy. "
    Meteora :D

(Jesse)
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @Raymayne said:

" @nintendoeats said:

" @Jeff said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " assuming they are full? thats when you kick someone...your the admin :P  jeff=host advantage since hes like 5 feet from the server.... "
    No, they don't let you run your own server. You have to rent it from their exclusive provider. So we spread them across the world. One's in San Jose, one's in Chicago, one's in Amsterdam. "
    Score another point for Counter-Strike... "
    So that's..   Black Ops 7,000,000 - Counter-Strike 1 "
    Not quite. The second most payed game on steam is 10 years old. Combined, Source and 1.6 beat out Black Ops. Obviously this doesn't include the console versions of the game, so these numbers are skewed.  EDIT: also, there is the MW2 multiplayer to account for, which puts them at about the same level on the PC. Still...  10 year old game. People will still be playing the same amount of CS in a year, MW and BO will fall. "
    Just wait until valve busts this shit open with CS 2.0. I don't anyone will be able to handle it's awesomeness. That and I have so much faith that it in no way will be a COD clone.....I mean it's Valve right? They don't do that sort of thing right?

No Caption Provided

....right?

In conclusion yes, people will be playing Counterstrike until the internet collapses in on itself.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Mcfart
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @Raymayne said:

" @nintendoeats said:

" @Jeff said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " assuming they are full? thats when you kick someone...your the admin :P  jeff=host advantage since hes like 5 feet from the server.... "
    No, they don't let you run your own server. You have to rent it from their exclusive provider. So we spread them across the world. One's in San Jose, one's in Chicago, one's in Amsterdam. "
    Score another point for Counter-Strike... "
    So that's..   Black Ops 7,000,000 - Counter-Strike 1 "
    Not quite. The second most payed game on steam is 10 years old. Combined, Source and 1.6 beat out Black Ops. Obviously this doesn't include the console versions of the game, so these numbers are skewed.  EDIT: also, there is the MW2 multiplayer to account for, which puts them at about the same level on the PC. Still...  10 year old game. People will still be playing the same amount of CS in a year, MW and BO will fall. "
    Just wait until valve busts this shit open with CS 2.0. I don't anyone will be able to handle it's awesomeness. That and I have so much faith that it in no way will be a COD clone.....I mean it's Valve right? They don't do that sort of thing right?

No Caption Provided
    ....right?  In conclusion yes, people will be playing Counterstrike until the internet collapses in on itself. "
    It's funny, but like with CS:S, a bunch of people will reject CS2 no matter how good it is, just like how 70000 people are still playing 1.6 at any time. Just ridonkulous.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By nintendoeats
    @wolf_blitzer85: I don't think that there is any meaningful change that they could make to Counterstrike that would justify having the same name. What do you do? Change the weapons? New map types?

I've really been thinking about what I would want in a CS2 and all of the changes that I would like to see are along the lines of the small additions that they have been making to CS:S over the years.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @nintendoeats said:

" @wolf_blitzer85: I don't think that there is any meaningful change that they could make to Counterstrike that would justify having the same name. What do you do? Change the weapons? New map types?  I've really been thinking about what I would want in a CS2 and all of the changes that I would like to see are along the lines of the small additions that they have been making to CS:S over the years. "

I think Valve has the capacity to change how we view CS ala TF2 (not in the same way visually of course) restyle. They could make it appealing to old and new players. DotA is actually kind of an interesting thing just too see how well valve can shape a community.

They got that coaching thing and it seems like they are making it pretty user friendly, plus it rewards you for not being a dick in the community. Something I think CS could use a little of. Valve might as well update it hard and heavy and throw it on the PS3 with cross cloud support while they're at it.

Wouldn't that just be crazy?

New maps 'n shit included.

Edit: Calling it: Counterstrike Veterans ELITEdition.

Comes only with de_dust2. Get Aztec as a gamestop preorder bonus. Dude it's got sick ass rain physics.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By nintendoeats
    @wolf_blitzer85: You are describing some of my nightmares here. CS with map packs can go die.
    I don't know how recently you have played CS, but it straight has the best (by which I really mean only) dick management of any FPS I have played. TKing in particular is handled really well with the different punishment options. The game basically has built-in community management, since it still has community servers and mod support. You don't even need an admin to kick somebody, as long as you can get enough players to vote. I really do feel at this point that the game is socially much like hanging out in a  room drinking beer.

If Valve releases a new CS, I will probably buy it (unless they add persistence a-la MW), but I will do so expecting a lot of horizontal movements in game design. Of course, I am fully willing for Valve to prove me wrong and come up with some genius improvement to the formula. Nothing would make me happier.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85:  CS with map packs can go die
    No worries, those are xbox exclusive.
    RJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70  Edited By RJ

Fellow Giantbomb brethren, if you can somehow find the GB Los Angeles server, please join in, it's pretty lonely in here. 

test 

Kindrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By Kindrik

I'd love to join in but it just isn't showing up on my server browser.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By emem
    @Kindrik said:
    " I'd love to join in but it just isn't showing up on my server browser. "
    Strange, I think I can see all the servers since yesterday, including the GB servers. 
    Kindrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Kindrik
    @emem: Hasn't been the case for me. All the lag spikes and such are gone now with the patches, but this still seems to be getting me. Right now it shows ~180 ranked servers of the ~8500 availble and just stops there. 

EDIT: Fixed! 

In case anyone else is having problems, head to this folder: 
    C:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players\ 

or whatever it may be on your PC, and delete the two .cfg files in there. 

This will reset all your graphics and controls settings, but should fix any server browser problems.
    Torn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Torn

Still having issues finding these servers.. anyone else having any luck? 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By Animasta

I played on the chicago one last night, so they are there

Kindrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Kindrik

Booted up the game today and the server problems were back again. Deleting those .cfg files seems like a temporary fix, and one you need to do each time you want to run the game.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By HoM3R

I would love to play on these GB servers but I only enjoy CoD on pc in Hardcore mode. Thoughts on switching them to HC?
    Maybe someone can make a new vote topic because I pretty curious. Dont know how to make such a topic though.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By xMrSunshine

HC in CoD is the worst thing ever.

Played on the Amsterdam one. It was nice. Seemed pretty popular since it was full pretty much all the time.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By meteora

Hardcore tends to be end up in a campfest more than anything else. HC is only good when you put it on a tactical server.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mikemcn

I can only get the chicago server which no one is ever on, and my browser only displays 800 out of some 5000 servers for whatever reason without any filters on. Im upset, any help?

mason_pat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mason_pat

I think the Chicago server is on Hardcore... absolutely can't stand it. In normal mode there is an element of "If I see you first you're dead" - it's super true in hardcore. Doesn't feel fun or challenging  

Edit: I think it was the Los Angeles server - but it's fine now and not hardcore

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#82  Edited By ch13696
    @RJ said:
    " Need a few more in LA server (will delete post once its up), join if you can find the server! "
    I'll jump in if I can. I was banned earlier today, but maybe it's temporary.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Mcfart

Had some good games earlier on the LA server. Norman Chan was there too!

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By JammyJesus

The Amsterdam server is usually full of arseholes whenever I go on. Shame. 

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Feanor

I hopped on the LA server last night. Their were two guys arguing about tube cheapness. Eventually the argument got to the point where they exchanged addresses and agreed to fight each other. 

good stuff.

BigDre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BigDre

So how is the game running now?  I've noticed a patch for performance reasons lately but what about the crappy design for connecting to servers?
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Jack268
    @BigDre said:
    " So how is the game running now?  I've noticed a patch for performance reasons lately but what about the crappy design for connecting to servers? "
    Works fine for me 

Q6600 quad core @2.4GHZ, 4 GB RAM and a 9800GT graphics card. Haven't noticed any connection problems yet. 

I hear it's different from system to system, but at least the fact that they patched it at all shows they've got at least one eye on the PC market.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    Wouldn't they have rented the server from gameservers.com?
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By RsistncE

Can we connect via IP through the console? If so, someone want to link me? To date I've only been on LA once and even though I added it to favs it disappeared. 

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#90  Edited By ch13696
    @RsistncE said:
    " Can we connect via IP through the console? If so, someone want to link me? To date I've only been on LA once and even though I added it to favs it disappeared.  "
    I wouldn't know how to connect through the console, but the reason why it disappeared is because the server is off. It's been like that for awhile now. I really want to play with other GBers on that server too.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By RsistncE
    @ch13696: Hmmm, that sucks.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Feanor
    @RsistncE: Check your filters, maybe you have it set to not show empty or full servers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.