Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

This game is a glorified expansion pack.....period.

• 138 results
    dyram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By dyram
    @cide: If the base game plays very similarly, then a new one has to have something new, right? At the very least it would make the game look more cared for than a blatant copy job of old content with no care to at least reflect how far the game itself has come.
    JDMan1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By JDMan1313

Then... don't buy it

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By DonPixel

@onarum said:

umm.. just like mw2 before it? and yet it still sold 8 million or whatever copies so.. yeah you see when people buy this crap they are only sending a message to kotick saying "yes, this is what we want, give us more"

This argument is false CoD is a bridge game, Means it's a game people that usually don't play videogames buy. Once they get tired they most likely move into another hobby. Personally I'm getting tired of this same old line. Halo fans were also "destroying" the industry when Halo was at it´s peak..

Funny thou I have a 254 video game collection among all platforms since Atari time, I remember a guy calling me a dudebro in a Halo tournament because I was playing Halo.. dumass didn´t even know what Shadow of the Colossus was back in the time.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#54  Edited By beargirl1

couldn't care less. i still think MW2 is a ton of fun, so a glorified expansion pack sounds fine with me. though this'll probably be the point where i burn out on the series until they milk COD to death, or reinvent it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My face is the universe. Period. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

COD is the Madden of FPS.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By easthill

7 years ago this was released. Please take a look at the features. How is MW3 different? It's arguably a bigger leap over the original CoD than MW3 is to MW2.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By dbz1995
    @pieman32 said:

Lets wind the clocks back 8 years ago. Pc gaming is still going strong and games actually get expansion packs. Now what would an expansion pack get you might ask. Well first a new single player. Secondly more content. Finally it might get a new mode.   The game might also have a slightly updated look. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS. New mode, more weapons , perks, maps and such, new single player.
    Wait, so new weapons, new perks, new maps, a new single player, and a new multiplayer modes including a survival mode doesn't make it a fair sequel. What does then?

Graphics?
    bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By bravetoaster

You are the reason the violin factory stays in business.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#60  Edited By meptron

MW3 will be awesome. The people bitching about it are the same people who whine when I own them online.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By UnrealDP

New maps, new singleplayer, spruced up graphics, new multiplayer, totally redone spec ops, new weapons, i guess that's the definition of an expansion to you.....

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By imsh_pl
    @TEHMAXXORZ said:
    @Potter9156 said:
    @pieman32 said:
    Lets wind the clocks back 8 years ago. Pc gaming is still going strong and games actually get expansion packs. Now what would an expansion pack get you might ask. Well first a new single player. Secondly more content. Finally it might get a new mode.   The game might also have a slightly updated look. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS. New mode, more weapons , perks, maps and such, new single player. I cannot say im surprised, but it is still blatant as hell. If this came out 8 years ago, it would be called a glorified expansion pack. Lets take a look. 
      MW3 in all its glory.    
     So, it's like every other sequel this generation of consoles?     K.
    This. This. THIS! Except instead of a K it should be 'KAITHXBAI'
    The fact that everything about the game's looks, including models, textures and animations looks exactly the same as MW2 doesn't help. Other sequels at least try to improve in that regard.
    fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By fallen_elite
    @UnrealDP said:

New maps, new singleplayer, spruced up graphics, new multiplayer, totally redone spec ops, new weapons, i guess that's the definition of an expansion to you.....

It sounds like one to me.
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By NinjaHunter

@Dyram said:

@cide: If the base game plays very similarly, then a new one has to have something new, right? At the very least it would make the game look more cared for than a blatant copy job of old content with no care to at least reflect how far the game itself has come.

So you would rather have a shallow, surface level change than new maps, modes, weapons, perks and whatever else? Is that what you're saying? Because of course it's going to play like the last games. It's COD, it's going to play like a COD game. Just like Halo is going to play like Halo, Battlefield is going to play like Battlefield. They may tweak how the controls feel but it's going to play pretty close to the last game. So If new maps and modes aren't good enough for you or anyone else, then I guess stop buying sequels.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#65  Edited By Yummylee

Thanks for this. No, seriously; I always love reading CoD hate threads <3 I don't even care for the series, though the bile people spew for this franchise is ever so entertaining to read and makes for some of the most enjoyable nerd-ragin' around.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#66  Edited By bobafettjm

People are saying this looks exactly like Modern Warfare 2, but I just went back and played that and it does not look this nice at all. A lot of small touches in the graphics have been improved to make it look better. 

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By UnrealDP

@fallen_elite:

Oh man you're so right, how could i not have seen that. Obviously this is an expansion since it checked all the boxes! Single player? Check! Multiplayer? Check! Oh wait expansions and full games can have all of the content i mentioned before it's just a matter of the amount of it and the quality, so even though an expansion and a full game might have single player, the full game will have a much larger single player of a higher quality, like MW3 (presumably since the game isn't out so it's to early to judge).

It's not about checking all the boxes to make sure everything is there, it's about the quality of the content that is shown like i said before, this is why games can be single player only and still be better than other games that include both singleplayer and multiplayer and it's too early to tell if MW3 will deliver on these fronts, but if you look at the past CoD games and the promises they have made you will see that there is no reason to fret over this being an expansion.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By JoeyRavn

@fallen_elite said:

@UnrealDP said:

It sounds like one to me.

So, Diablo II is an expansion pack for Diablo? Or Bad Company 2 to the first Bad Company? Wait, scratch that. I totally forgot the Battlefield series is completely exempt from every kind of criticism.

You are arguing semantics. An "expansion pack" is nothing but more content that needs the base game to run. It can range from a couple of items to a new full-blown campaign and everything in-between. The way the developer decides to present that content, either as an expansion or a stand-alone product, is not intrinsecally related to the quality of said product.

Is CoD iterative? Sure, but the TC is blatantly ignoring all the new features MW3 has in order to make his "point". He is clearly biased towards BF3, even though both games can be judged on the same grounds, and both games will have to be seen in a similar light afterwards.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Abyssfull said:
    Thanks for this. No, seriously; I always love reading CoD hate threads <3 I don't even care for the series, though the bile people spew for this franchise is ever so entertaining to read and makes for some of the most enjoyable nerd-ragin' around.
    It really does.  Even better, it constantly bumps COD threads to the top of the forum, making sure that there is no escape to be had for those who hate the game, but know better than to rant about it and constantly bump COD threads. 

=)
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By UnrealDP

@NinjaHunter said:

@Dyram said:

So you would rather have a shallow, surface level change than new maps, modes, weapons, perks and whatever else? Is that what you're saying? Because of course it's going to play like the last games. It's COD, it's going to play like a COD game. Just like Halo is going to play like Halo, Battlefield is going to play like Battlefield. They may tweak how the controls feel but it's going to play pretty close to the last game. So If new maps and modes aren't good enough for you or anyone else, then I guess stop buying sequels.

Exactly what ninja hunter said. Call of Duty is a sequel driven franchise that refines and changes after every new game and ofcourse there are new things, just look at zombies or spec ops! Both of those are things added to call of duty in recent years and even though zombies won't be in MW3 (because that's Treyarchs thing) Spec ops is being redone and multplayer is being tweaked and changed. I'm not saying that change is a bad thing and i am getting a bit burnt out on how similar the progression can be, but i still love me some Call of Duty and i hope some major changes will be implemented in the next iteration or this iteration.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By CL60

I thought it was generally accepted at this point that MW is stale and needs some serious changes and balancing to actually be good? Judging from this topic everybody loves it all of a sudden again.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#72  Edited By fobwashed

@pieman32 said:

@Fobwashed: im not a troll, im legitimately pissed that it dont look all that different. After getting excited about a few trailers, this game play footage immediately evaporated all the hype and confirmed my fears. Its an expansion pack and corporate interests have hijacked any sort of creativity to make more money. Sort of reminds me of the first video game crash.

You keep throwing things out there without giving any examples or evidence to back what you're saying. Frankly, it just makes you sound like an idiot. How exactly does this remind you of the first video game crash? Here, I'll find it for you. What in there mirrors what's happening now in relation to either Call of Duty, or what you said about corporate interests hijacking any sort of creativity to make more money? Even if you're comparing it to what people commonly point to when they refer to the video game crash (Terrible E.T. game that was overproduced and ended up in bargan bins and landfills) it doesn't make sense because this is a franchise that sells incredibly well and aside from being overly popular and garnering hate from gaming elitists, is pretty solid and reviews well even on sites like this one.

I'm saddened that I've fallen for it again. Either you're a diabolical genius troll, or just like to say things without any real knowledge of what you're referring to.

@pieman32 said:

Lets wind the clocks back 8 years ago. Pc gaming is still going strong and games actually get expansion packs.

PC gaming is still going strong. Maybe stronger than ever. Even if games are graphically being held back by consoles, the gaming community seems to be larger than ever before. Throw in World of Warcraft, facebook games, casual games, free flash games, indie games and all other manner of games and it dominates consoles. Not to mention the kinds of pro pc gaming leagues out there now compared to your fantasy 8 years ago where there were no sequels and only expansion packs. I'm totally exaggerating here but it's only because wild baseless statements seems to be the way you communicate. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you're a genius troll.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By Red

I'm surprised you didn't realize this when World at War came out.

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TheDoorman

See its these kinds of comments that really get to me. I mean I get thats its your opinion but honestly what did you expect from MW 3. Call of Duty is  pushed out on a yearly cycle and they make minimal changes , and they've been doing it for years, and just now people seem to be flipping out that its an expansion LOL.

Its the Madden of fps shooters, The graphics were already pretty amazing in my opinion and as for multiplayer they've seem to have added some pretty neat ideas.

And yes. I do buy Call of Duty every year, but I'm not biased because I've played many shooters including Battlefield.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By fallen_elite
    @UnrealDP@JoeyRavn:   I'm not saying MW3 won't have enough content to justify the full cost of the game. I agree the game isn't out yet so we don't know yet, but it's certainly looking like an "expansion" to MW2 based on what I've seen so far. Who knows maybe it does have a ton of new content that makes it worth it. It just seems like this generation we've been getting less value with $60 games and paid DLC.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@pieman32 said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong: This is the sort of attitude that makes me die a little inside.
    Standards do have dropped.
    And seriously, get over it, I understand the hate, I bloody agree, but there's nothing we can do.
    The masses voted with their wallets.
    In the mean time, try to have fun.
    SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#77  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I can confirm that you put a period at the end of that sentence.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeh, there's very little ingenuity in each successive one but hey, they're making money. It's sad but I accept the state of things. 

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By UnrealDP

@fallen_elite said:

@UnrealDP: @JoeyRavn: I'm not saying MW3 won't have enough content to justify the full cost of the game. I agree the game isn't out yet so we don't know yet, but it's certainly looking like an "expansion" to MW2 based on what I've seen so far. Who knows maybe it does have a ton of new content that makes it worth it. It just seems like this generation we've been getting less value with $60 games and paid DLC.

You're not saying that MW3 won't have enough content to justify the price? But thats the entire point of your "It's just an expansion." arguement and it's looking like an expansion from what you've seen? New multiplayer, new singleplayer, new spec ops, polished graphics, redone leveling/guns, how does that look like an expansion? This generation we're getting less bang for our buck? What are you even saying? Look at Oblivion and Deus EX and Dragon age and.....Well i could list these all day, but the point is that CoD games might not seem like a good dollars to hours proposition to you because you're not looking in the right places. Look no further than the new spec ops mode and the multiplayer. You're not supposed to play on a single map once and say "Well i guess i'm done with this map forever!" you're supposed to get to know the maps and get better at the game!

pieman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By pieman32

As I return from work, I see this going nowhere fast, but flaming me:) 

pieman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By pieman32
    @Dyram: I know i came off as very angry and possibly like a troll, but thank you for being rational.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

The multiplayer is, but everything around the MP is gettign significant upgrades/changes/at least a change of venue and all that shit.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By BabyChooChoo

THEN DON'T FUCKING BUY IT

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By niamahai

IF PC GAMING WAS STILL MAINSTREAM TODAY EXPANSION PACKS WOULD STILL BE SOLD @ $60!

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By soldierg654342

I really envy the clairvoyant among us who can determine the quality of games not only without playing them, but before they are even released. 

pieman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By pieman32
    @JoeyRavn: Im not trying to troll, im just expressing me disappointment with MW3 ( especially after black ops), I realize now that I should have made this a blog. Also, if I was a BF3 fan boy and troll I would come here saying that the game looks like its gonna suck and how cod fan boys are dumb for buying this. I instead expressed my admittedly raging disappointment,  which probably made me come off as a jerk. Also, I think MW3 is less improved the you are giving it credit and through saying that,  you are trying to troll me sir. 
    pieman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By pieman32
    @niamahai: At least they are more honest about what is an expansion and what is a sequel .
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By napalm
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    I really envy the clairvoyant among us who can determine the quality of games not only without playing them, but before they are even released. 
    I'd be willing to back this assertion if it was a sequel to an obscure game... but this is Call Of Duty, so I can't.
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By soldierg654342
    @Napalm: Fair enough, it's not exactly hard to guess what Call of Duty is going to be. But still, people have taken to making grand proclamations about things in games that arn't even out yet, like that hullabaloo over Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite. 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By toowalrus

Who cares? If the people who play Call of Duty almost exclusively want to pay $60 a year for a whole new set of maps, new campaign and a slight gameplay improvement, what do I care?

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By niamahai
    @TooWalrus said:

Who cares? If the people who play Call of Duty almost exclusively want to pay $60 a year for a whole new set of maps, new campaign and a slight gameplay improvement, what do I care?

ITZ THE INTERNET! YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO RAGE @ EVERYTHING! 
    YOUR LACK OF EMPATHY IS GOIN 2 CAUSE THE INDUSTRY 2 CRASH! AGAIN!
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#92  Edited By Dany

@pieman32 said:

Well first a new single player. Secondly more content. Finally it might get a new mode. The game might also have a slightly updated look. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS. New mode, more weapons , perks, maps and such, new single player. I cannot say im surprised, but it is still blatant as hell. If this came out 8 years ago, it would be called a glorified expansion pack.

HOW DARE THEY OFFER A NEW GAME THAT OFFERS NEW THINGS!!!!

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @iAmJohn said:

Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying this Call of Duty game looks like a Call of Duty game?

He's saying it's a lazy sequel, yo. 
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#94  Edited By gamb1t

The truth always hurts. Feel sorry for call of duty "gamers" and "fans" for constantly paying for shit, being duped into "new" games, and shitty support (pc support for mw2)

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#95  Edited By Vinny_Says

Look at it in the perspective of the heads of Activision. They've done the graphs and read the charts, releasing these games brings them money and pays their salaries and bonuses. YOU WOULD DO THE SAME THING IN THEIR POSITION. We live in a free market economy where your goal is happiness, you really have to stop with the Activision hate, it's not like they are polluting the earth and must be stopped. It's a waste of time....

Let people have their fun and make their money.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#96  Edited By Yanngc33
    @niamahai

IF PC GAMING WAS STILL MAINSTREAM TODAY EXPANSION PACKS WOULD STILL BE SOLD @ $60!

THIS GUY IS RIGHT IT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD! RAAAAAAH!!!
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#97  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @gamb1t said:
    The truth always hurts. Feel sorry for call of duty "gamers" and "fans" for constantly paying for shit, being duped into "new" games, and shitty support (pc support for mw2)
    Haha, holy shit.  I feel sorry for those who feel sorry for people who play certain games. It's so sad.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Pibo47
    @Bones8677 said:
    Here we go again...
    Yup...this thread. It was inevitable. But shit, this soon?
    Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Sputty

You're right but it shouldn't be surprising. COD has become the sports games of FPSes with constant releases that add a tiny amount of content that can make the game worse in some cases. I've lost all interest in the series and more people will as time progresses. I still think COD4 was a good enough game that the later games would have to really screw up to be horrible games but I just can't care about a game thats incrementally being made worse with constant sequels. This isn't the first time an FPS series has gone this way, either.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By kashif1
    @Sputty said:

You're right but it shouldn't be surprising. COD has become the sports games of FPSes with constant releases that add a tiny amount of content that can make the game worse in some cases. I've lost all interest in the series and more people will as time progresses. I still think COD4 was a good enough game that the later games would have to really screw up to be horrible games but I just can't care about a game thats incrementally making a game worse with constant sequels. This isn't the first time an FPS series has gone this way, either.

have you played 4 lately?  Its still fun but it feels dated compared to the newer games, the problem is that they will never be able to match that jump in quality.  cod 4 created the modern fps game, MW2's bigest change was selectible killstreaks and black ops just experimented with the level progression system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.