Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

World at War SUCKS SO MUCH

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Colonel_Cool

I just got my little bro World at War for his birthday, and I must say, this game is such a broken piece of crap. How can Treyarch release a game in such a state as it is? First off, the game wouldn't even install properly on his computer. Came up with some 1309 error message saying that some video file could not be read, and the install had to be aborted. Tried 4 times. Did not work. Disc is perfectly clean, no specs, smudges, smears, or scratches. Even tried cleaning the disc fort the hell of it. Did. Not. Work. Same error message every single time. I finally had to install it on my computer (which installed no problem, WTF), copy and paste the game folder and shortcuts onto a flash drive and then cut and paste it on the other computer to install it.

Bullshit averted, right? WRONG. Game gets the infamous black screen error when starting a new game. I eventually found a cheap solution to this by having to alt-tab out of the game, and alt-tab back into it, in which case it freezes for about 5 minutes and then starts playing normally (this happens at the start of EVERY level, and whenever you load a saved game). Then in the very first level the ocean water is glitching out. Buggy piece of shit.

But playable at least, so bullshit finally averted, right? WRONG AGAIN. Campaign coop requires multiple CD-keys for LAN play. WTF. All of my other games allow me to download a crack exe so I don't have to buy multiple copies of the game for LAN play. So I have to shell out more money for a brand new copy of the game. Bullshit averted? WRONG. Coop. DOES. NOT. WORK. Error message comes up that says the CD keys are in use. And this is a legitimate, genuine, retail boxed copy of the game. Fuck.

That's okay though, since the game still has a pretty robust multiplayer mode? Bullshit av - OF COURSE NOT. Cannot create online profile that is required for online play. Have seen by searching on Google that many other people are having this problem as well. When trying to create a profile, I type the profile name in, press okay, and then a new thing comes up that says "Notice. You need an online profile to play in Cooperative and Multiplayer mode. Do you want to create an online profile now?". I click "Yes". Brings me back to the create new profile screen. Type in the name again, and the process just repeats in an infinite loop. Multiplayer. DOES. NOT. WORK.

So now, I have paid $46.99 (for each copy) for a broken game with a 4 hour mediocre single-player campaign, no coop, and no multiplayer. I'm so pissed. To anyone reading this, I STRONGLY ADVISE that you do not buy this game. Treyarch, how could you release a game, and still have it be broken to such an extent as this, and then have it be just as broken after a your single post-release patch? Treyarch, I bite my thumb at you.

By the way, I made sure that all drivers are up to date, firewalls disabled, etc. No excuses, Treyarch.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Anyone could have, and should have told you that before you got it.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Anyone could have, and should have told you that before you got it."
    I was aware that the game was buggy, and I had heard of the black screen problems and in-game bugs at release prior to buying it, but reviews were generally positive and the game had been patched since release so I decided to give it a try. The lack of multiplayer is just downright appalling. How the devs can just ignore these gigantic game-breaking issues I don't know. Was not prepared for this level of non-avertible bullshit.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pibo47

I havnt had any trouble so far (360)

10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 10MP

my copy works just fine and your problem seems to be user error.

pc games usually have problems but most of the time there are ways around it so just keep trying.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Discorsi

nobody knoooooows the trouble i've seeeennnnnn,
    nobody knows my sorrowww....

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TheGamerGeek

You suck so much.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Sounds like the PC version is giving people A LOT more trouble than the console version.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

My PC version works just fine. This is one of the best strategy games we've seen so far.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Stevokenevo

well ive just downloaded it off steam so i guess i will find out soon if it works or not.  brb...

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Snail said:
    "My PC version works just fine. This is one of the best strategy games we've seen so far."
    World at War is not a strategy game. Unless you consider run and gun games strategy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Superchris129

Yep, sounds like your bootleg vista ultimate is fucking things up. Don't download an operating system off the pirate bay next time.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kmdrkul

PC gamers should know beforehand that, by them playing games off of their own creation, anything that goes wrong on their system is therefore their problem and fair game.  Either you are playing the game on an Amiga, or you are too stupid to own a gaming rig and figure out whats wrong.  Go play consoles....

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By PureRok

Mine works just fine on my PC. Don't know what to tell you.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By zeus_gb

I've never had any problems with World at War apart from from it sucking and the trademark Treyarch invisible walls.  I've also never had a retail game say that the CD key has already been used, someone may have used it and returned it or it's not a legit copy of the game. 

I can see two solutions, first would be to take the game back to the place of purchase and get it replaced/refunded.  Second would be to contact Activision support, provide them with proof of purchase and they might give you a new code.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    kmdrkul said:
    "PC gamers should know beforehand that, by them playing games off of their own creation, anything that goes wrong on their system is therefore their problem and fair game.  Either you are playing the game on an Amiga, or you are too stupid to own a gaming rig and figure out whats wrong.  Go play consoles...."
    You're an idiot. I've been building PC's for years, and the hardware I have is more than adequate to play the game. Please don't tell me that GTA IV was perfectly ported and it was everyone's PC's fault the game has terrible performance, crashes, and graphical artifacts. I'm not too stupid to figure out what's wrong, in fact, what is wrong is the game itself, not my hardware configuration. My PC works fine. My drivers are up to date. My computer is plugged in. Every other game I own runs without a problem. And the problems I am encountering with this game aren't specific to my system either. Lots of other people have these problems as well (Go check Amazon user reviews, and then go tell them it's their own fault the game is poorly coded). Tell me, how is it a hardware problem in my comp that Activision's servers won't let me create an online account?
    Voldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Voldy

I've never had any problems with World at War either, it runs flawlessly and without a problem for me. Therefore I don't think it sucks.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gizmo
    Snail said:
    "My PC version works just fine. This is one of the best strategy games we've seen so far."
    ?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince

Bullshit averted - NOT - =P

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#21  Edited By tearhead

Hmm, that sounds more like a PC issue than the game itself... at least in terms of it not playing on your bro's PC.  I've had that happen to me when i tried playing COD 2 on my old PC, same exact problems (actually worse because it was practically unplayable); when I installed it on my friend's PC it worked fine though, it was just a matter of my PC not being able to run it.  All those error messages just sound like bad fucking luck; I think your experience has just been one thing after the other that it sullied the game itself for you, which is understandable.  COD WAW is a great game though, I have it for PS3; the single player is decent and the multiplayer is pretty good (still not as good as COD 4 though) and I love how they link your stats to your online profile.  My brother had trouble with linking his online profile too but he eventually got it to work. Moral of this story? By it for a console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Every time I booted up the game it set my sound to mute.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By Geno

So let me get this straight, you install on a computer that clearly doesn't meet the minimum specs or have the correct drivers (up to date =/= correct drivers, check which ones you actually need) then you got angry when it didn't work properly?

All aboard the failboat.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Gunner

Would be nice if you actually posted your computer specs so we can see whether or not its a hardware problem.

Also make sure your drivers are up to date.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    Geno said:
    "So let me get this straight, you install on a computer that clearly doesn't meet the minimum specs or have the correct drivers (up to date =/= correct drivers, check which ones you actually need) then you got angry when it didn't work properly?

All aboard the failboat."
    The computer clearly does exceed the minimum specs actually. My brother's computer is pretty old, but it can run the game fine on lowish settings at 1024x768 . Hell, it runs Crysis fine on minumum settings. It's got 1GB ram, a single-core Athlon 64 3800 at 2.4 GHz, and 2 SLI'd 6800 ultras. Latest drivers are installed (and yes they are the correct ones!). The game WILL run and you CAN play it, but you have to alt-tab out of the black screen that comes up at the beginning of every loading time. What really pisses me off is that the multiplayer is completely defunct due to the fact that I cannot create an online profile. Does not work. Tried this on multiple machines, and still does not work. This is definitely not a hardware issue.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By RHCPfan24

This is why I am glad I am mainly a 360/PS3 gamer.

deerpoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deerpoob

it seems your computer just doesnt like it, and the DRM is a bitch, so you really cant speak of the game itself now can you, CAAAAAAAN YOOUUUUUUU?????

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Red

Yeah, complaining about a PC game is like complaining about your hamburger not having ketchup. We never know if it's the restaurant or you not asking for ketchup and we never know if it's the developer or your computer sucking.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Death_Burnout

I have it on PC...and no fuckin troubles. I'm really impressed with it, to the point where im willing to play WWII shooters all over again. The Gore is real nice addition, and yeah, its the same engine to a tee and what not, but still, Treyarch surprised me.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By serbsta

I've played the game... its not bad, i just don't like it. I'm waiting on Modern Warfare 2.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Ish
    Colonel_Cool said:
    "          I just got my little bro World at War for his birthday, and I must say, this game is such a broken piece of crap. How can Treyarch release a game in such a state as it is? First off, the game wouldn't even install properly on his computer. Came up with some 1309 error message saying that some video file could not be read, and the install had to be aborted. Tried 4 times. Did not work. Disc is perfectly clean, no specs, smudges, smears, or scratches. Even tried cleaning the disc fort the hell of it. Did. Not. Work. Same error message every single time. I finally had to install it on my computer (which installed no problem, WTF), copy and paste the game folder and shortcuts onto a flash drive and then cut and paste it on the other computer to install it.
    An 1309 error had to be the game's fault. It's not. A lot of people have this message with various programs, and I think there are about two variations for the problem. You need to tell us more about the error if you want help.

Colonel_Cool
    said:
    Bullshit averted, right? WRONG. Game gets the infamous black screen error when starting a new game. I eventually found a cheap solution to this by having to alt-tab out of the game, and alt-tab back into it, in which case it freezes for about 5 minutes and then starts playing normally (this happens at the start of EVERY level, and whenever you load a saved game). Then in the very first level the ocean water is glitching out. Buggy piece of shit.
    What card are you running this on?

Colonel_Cool said:
    But playable at least, so bullshit finally averted, right? WRONG AGAIN. Campaign coop requires multiple CD-keys for LAN play. WTF. All of my other games allow me to download a crack exe so I don't have to buy multiple copies of the game for LAN play. So I have to shell out more money for a brand new copy of the game. Bullshit averted? WRONG. Coop. DOES. NOT. WORK. Error message comes up that says the CD keys are in use. And this is a legitimate, genuine, retail boxed copy of the game. Fuck.
    This is most likely because of the fact that you installed the game onto your PC first, then copied it over to your brothers. Your PC records one CD Key in the registry. Make sure the CD keys are different on each PC by going to Run>type registry>hit okay> CoD:WaW folder

Colonel_Cool said:
    That's okay though, since the game still has a pretty robust multiplayer mode? Bullshit av - OF COURSE NOT. Cannot create online profile that is required for online play. Have seen by searching on Google that many other people are having this problem as well. When trying to create a profile, I type the profile name in, press okay, and then a new thing comes up that says "Notice. You need an online profile to play in Cooperative and Multiplayer mode. Do you want to create an online profile now?". I click "Yes". Brings me back to the create new profile screen. Type in the name again, and the process just repeats in an infinite loop. Multiplayer. DOES. NOT. WORK.

Have you tried patching? If that does not work, you might have to wait until they fix a patch for that, or you can try reinstalling. This is the first time I have ever heard of such an error.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.