Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 20, 1997

Dracula's castle has risen from the mist and the Belmont heir is missing! The open-ended gameplay mixed with RPG mechanics in this installment of Castlevania platformers set the template for later games in the series (coining the term "Metroidvania").

What is considered beating Symphony of the Night?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

Hey, couple years ago I played Symphony of the Night for the first time. I got to about 116% or something, unlocked the inverted world, felt I had enough and dropped it. Am I missing out on a lot of the game? Is the inverted world considered half of the game or is it extra post game content?

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The inverted world is literally the other half of the game, so no you're not finished.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3 chaser324  Moderator

I think most people consider completing the inverted castle to be finishing the game. You actually are missing out on a lot of the game if you don't do it.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By odinsmana

Yeah, I would consider beating the inverted castle to be beating the game. Both because it gives you a real end to the story and there is so much new content there. I do think the inverted castle is weaker than the normal castle. There is some really cool stuff there, but maneuvering through is just not as much fun.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Itwastuesday

You can blow through inverted castle in a few hours even if you're not familiar with it, so don't be intimidated and think that it will be very long. Besides, how can it be the end of a Castlevania game if you didn't kill Dracula???

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah beating the inverted castle is part of it at this point. Maybe when the game was new and the secret wasn't as well known you could at least argue ignorance, but now it's pretty much just the second half of the game. You gotta get that Dracula guy!

Inverted castle is also a lot faster to go through. It ends up being a little bit less about exploration and secrets and a bit more of a gauntlet up to the end game. Though there is still a mix of the other elements as well. Either way, it's not so long. You can get through it pretty fast.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the inverted content, but it's not wildly different. I wouldn't push through if you're not having a good time.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ideally it's not knowing about the inverted castle somehow and finishing the game there cause the inverted castle is super annoying.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Ok, thanks. Maybe I'll power through it. I thought it was post game content 'cause the geometry didn't seem as fine tuned for the platforming based on the few minutes I messed around.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

I've actually been playing this as well and got to the inverted castle for the first time, I made it to Galamoth and stopped there. I have enjoyed this game, but I have also played better Castlevania games. I finished Portrait of Ruin not too long ago and it's a much better game and not even the best of the post-SotN Castlevanias.

EDIT: Stopped at Galamoth for the day. I do plan on finishing it.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Beating = Finishing the story
    Completing = Doing everything there is to do. 100% it.

That's usually my take on it.

cogbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.