Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Sales numbers and hint at possible sequel

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    From andriasang:

Atlus and parent company Index are aiming for 300,000 units sold for Catherine, CEO Yoshimi Ogawa revealed during an investors briefing that was held in Tokyo on the 14th. The game sold 250,000 units as of the end of February.

As reported at Impress Watch, Ogawa said that she hopes to develop a variety of content business opportunities for Catherine, which she called Atlus' next new IP to follow Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey. She did not share specifics. 

As expected, Catherine sold pretty well in Japan and I assume the same will happen, at least according to Atlus' expectations, in North America. But, from the beginning, I never would have expected Catherine to be the type of game that could be appropriately sequelized. I've not played the game (except for the demo) and I know practically nothing about its story outside of its initial premise, but I had the impression that the game's ending would not be the type that could lead to further adventures. Certainly, sequels would be totally different stories following totally different characters, so it could work. It would be weird to just have a game titled Catherine 2, especially if the game didn't even have actual Catherine in it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Catherine 2: Catheriner

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By benjaebe

Well good news for them.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta
    @Hailinel said:

" Catherine 2: Catheriner "

yeah, I don't really know how you make a sequel to this game. I don't pretend to know the story (I am going dark as the starry night as far as catherine is concerned) but it doesn't seem like there's really... something you could tie it together with. Like SMT has the personas, Etrian Odyssey is just a throwback to old dungeon crawlers...

also is this the CEO of index holdings or whatever? this Yoshimi Ogawa? I find it a little weird she's a woman, considering what atlus is :P
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown said:

" also is this the CEO of index holdings or whatever? this Yoshimi Ogawa? I find it a little weird she's a woman, considering what atlus is :P "

I honestly have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

And there are plenty of components that could serve to tie the core of potential Catherine sequels: the nightmare elements, the dating elements, the day-to-day transitions, the puzzle gameplay...
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Animasta
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Laketown said:

" also is this the CEO of index holdings or whatever? this Yoshimi Ogawa? I find it a little weird she's a woman, considering what atlus is :P "

I honestly have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

And there are plenty of components that could serve to tie the core of potential Catherine sequels: the nightmare elements, the dating elements, the day-to-day transitions, the puzzle gameplay...
    "
    It's odd to see a CEO of a company be a women, and especially one who owns Atlus. All I'm saying.

also, if they plan to make a sequel with that same puzzle gameplay then they're quite clearly insane. Make it a different style of game or something, but I don't think that gameplay could stand another game (I liked the gameplay of the demo, but playing a sequel with that same style? even with vast improvements? maybe not)
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown said:

" also, if they plan to make a sequel with that same puzzle gameplay then they're quite clearly insane. Make it a different style of game or something, but I don't think that gameplay could stand another game (I liked the gameplay of the demo, but playing a sequel with that same style? even with vast improvements? maybe not) "

Why? Several people actually enjoy that gameplay and those people would appreciate Atlus making improvements and innovating it. You not wanting to experience that gameplay in a sequel would just mean that you don't like it as much as some others. What you're saying is as irrational as saying you wouldn't want the next Portal game to be a puzzle game just for personal reasons. I think they'd  be far from insane if they used the same core gameplay elements for a sequel.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By MikeGosot

I have special information oof the sequel, people! The teaser will soon come out soon, but i will leak all the information i could gather:

Gabrielle.

You will play as... Bincent, yeah. You have a happy relationship with you girlfriend, Gabrielle, but she wants to marry and you don't wanna marry her, because... Well, f*ck marriage. Then, you meet Gabriele, a sexy girl, and you cheat on your girlfriend and you gotta decide your destiny in your nightmares involving... Blocks. And BUTT MONSTERS! And Sheep.

Also, there's a bar.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By thehexeditor

Whatever, I'll buy a sequel.

So long as they bring out more delicious Shin Megami Tensei and Persona.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By endaround

Sequel?  Possibly.  More ports?  Very likely.  For example if the new Nintendo console is as powerful as rumored it will likely get a port.  Ports to handhelds could easily happen (Sony and Nintendo are both likely dying for games).  Phone games?  Index Holdings loves them.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Mcfart

how about that NA release for the first!

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SuperWristBands

Katherine: Off the Record? Girls are swapped. Boom. Make it happen Atlus.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ChrisTaran

Knowing the story and characters well from finishing the game, there are certain characters in Catherine that would be very easy to see return in future games if they ever did a sequel (or prequel).

But endaround is right; expect more ports. Don't be surprised when you see Catherine for NGP.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By toowalrus
    @Sasran said:
    " Katherine: Off the Record? Girls are swapped. Boom. Make it happen Atlus. "
    Nah, that's stupid.

...this one should be called "for the record".
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By rjayb89

I hope the next one is deciding between Chie and Shadow Chie.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @TooWalrus said:
    " @Sasran said:
    " Katherine: Off the Record? Girls are swapped. Boom. Make it happen Atlus. "
    Nah, that's stupid.

...this one should be called "for the record".
    "
    I like it!
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @mewarmo990 said:
    " Eh. I don't think it will do as well overseas. Not enough to justify a sequel, on NA numbers alone when the market is so much bigger here."
    How do you know that? I think you'd be very surprised at the attention Catherine has gotten here in NA and seeing the sales of some of their previous games and the way Atlus handles shipped copies, I think it will do very well.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mutha3
    @mewarmo990 said:

" Eh. I don't think it will do as well overseas. Not enough to justify a sequel, on NA numbers alone when the market is so much bigger here.

"

Atlus' primary market has always been Japan.  Their games sell thrice as much there going by sales data. Catherine has already outsold all of their" SMT games not-called-Persona 4" worldwide sales.

.....That being said, I sincerely hope we won't see a Catherine sequel. Its an incredibly neat/unique idea for a game. I want it to remain that way.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dizzyhippos
    @FluxWaveZ:  Any indication if that 300,000 is there target world wide or only japan?

Also any sequel will probably just be a different ladies name and be part of the crazy bitch series

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.