Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Champions Online

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

Champions Online is a superhero action-MMORPG for PC. It was developed by Cryptic Studios, the makers of City of Heroes.

Who's buying this for PC?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i saw the QL, looks like explosive fun and i have some money to spare for it but im afraid people might just run around battling and not actually... achieve anything.  
    So who's buying for PC, and what do you guys think about this game and how is it gonna be like?

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By killdave

pre-ordered

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I played the open beta, it's cool at first, but once you hit 40 you realize you haven't gained anything since level 5 other than a couple new powers. You look the same since you started your character. The PVP was frustrating at best, not knowing which enemy had what powers and everyone on the other team would all target one guy and smoke him and just go down the list. The story missions are fun, but other missions seem like they could get boring, go here kill guy. Typical MMO stuff.

I had the most fun with the character creator and just dueling guys in the powerhouse. Earlier this month I was considering pre-ordering this because I knew I'd enjoy it. If I did buy it I probably would enjoy it for a bit and then get over it in a couple of months, but right now I don't have the time or money for an MMO.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

No I'm not going to buy it. I have played the beta since January and the game isn't very good. The character maker aside, the game gets old very fast. MMO's need a combat system that grows and expands in complexity and fun the longer you play it, this game doesn't. By level 10 (3-4 hours) you will have the same 4 powers you will use for the rest of the game. All you will do is spam the same 3 attack combo over and over and over. There is no feeling of getting more powerful, or growth as a character the more you play it. There is no power to build towards, no uber power that will complete your attack combo to make your ultimate power attack, nothing. Just the same 3-4 power combo you have at the start.

Don't get me wrong, it can be fun for a few hours at a time but as i said its not worth a monthly fee. If it was like Guild Wars where it didn't cost anything monthly i would buy it in a heart beat, but the game just doesn't have the complexity or depth of a MMO to make it worth a monthly fee.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Babble

Any MMO these days I prefer not to jump in at launch. I'll check back in a few months and see how things are going then.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By damnboyadvance

It looks pretty good. I've got a friend who was in the beta, and they said it was good. So I'll consider it.

Jiquk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Jiquk

I loved city of heroes this is pretty much the sequel so i intend to purchase it off steam so i can show off how much of my life i have wasted in the past 2 weeks.  

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By holycrapitsadam

since its coming to the 360, is it a pay to play mmo or is it free?

Jiquk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jiquk
    @HolyCrapItsAdam: It is pay to play however you do not require a Gold mebership to play it online.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crusader8463

@HolyCrapItsAdam: It wont be coming to 360 for awhile. They have said many times because of some freaky legal shit Microsoft has ( ie. Microsoft cant figure out a way to get a cut of the profit) they wont be able to release it on 360 for a long time. No biggie for me, but don't expect it anytime soon.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  If you want to roll with a crew in hopes of "achieving things", you could check this thread out. Fellow GB community members working together ftw!   :P
    juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By juice8367

See as how there are alot of seasoned mmo players in the community, I was wondering if anyone would recommend this for a first timer?  I saw the OL too & I'm thinkin about getting it on steam.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Metroid545

I want it badly but my compyter is shit and I already pledged to myself to run with it till it dies than get a new one

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Absurd

I would if there wasn't a monthly fee. >.>

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crusader8463
    @juice8367 said:

" See as how there are alot of seasoned mmo players in the community, I was wondering if anyone would recommend this for a first timer?  I saw the OL too & I'm thinkin about getting it on steam. "

ya i would highly recommend it if you have very little to no MMO experience. Its very simple, nothing too complex and a very good my first MMO.  Learning all the little complexities is what makes an MMO so much fun longer term, but since this game doesn't have anything too complex it is a good start.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By PerryVandell

Why play Champions: Online when you could be playing Batman: Arkham Asylum?

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By _Phara0h_

I don't do MMO's....

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aeterna

I'll pass, I don't think this game can really hold up against the bigger titles right now. 

With Aion launching soon as well, it'll get even tougher for them.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crusader8463
    @THAfara0 said:
    " I don't do MMO's.... "
    In Soviet Russia MMO does YOU!

No Caption Provided
    Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Phantom_Crash

It would be awesome if Cryptic made a stand alone character creator, it would have been a great advertising tool pre-release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.