Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Codemasters

Company »

UK-based development studio behind the popular Colin McRae Rally and Micro Machines franchises. In late 2020, they were acquired by Electronic Arts.

Codemasters: The '09 Lineup

• 50 results
    sbritton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By sbritton

Overlord II

The key thing to take from our early look at Overlord II is that the game is being designed to let players be a bit more evil. What's the best way to get that across? By having you prove your worthiness as an overlord to your potential minions... by clubbing a baby seal. The game picks up where the first one left off, putting you in the role of the original Overlord's son. You'll get to play a bit at the beginning of the game as a seven-year old before warping ahead to adulthood.

At its core, Overlord II doesn't look like a dramatic change for the series, with basic control concepts carrying over and lots of focus on controlling both yourself and your minions. You'll be able to possess minions and take direct control of one in some cases, and we were shown a bit where your little gremlin-like posse got disguised as Roman centurions in order to walk past some guards undetected. From there, you got control of a catapult, which is used to clear the way ahead (and take out a bunch of enemy troops, if you're into that sort of thing). It looks like precisely the sort of thing that fans of the original game will eat up when it hits 360, PS3, and PC in June.

Jumpgate Evolution

Our time with Jumpgate Evolution, the upcoming space-combat MMO from Auto Assault developer NetDevil, was admittedly less than ideal. Playing on a machine that wasn't hooked up to a populated test server, outer space was especially vacant, save for the NPC ships that served as mission fodder for us. Our time with the game was also quite brief, as folks were being rotated out every 15-20 minutes. So, it should speak volumes to the game's accessibility and the current speed of the player progression that we still managed to get some small sense of what Jumpgate Evolution's all about. 

Right from the start, the game seems set up to jump you into the action as quickly as possible. The character creation was limited to a single faction for the purposes of the demo, though it didn't seem like a particularly complicated process either way. Since there's no out-of-ship interaction in Jumpgate Evolution, our character was represented with one of just a few painted portraits. Similarly, the giant space cruiser that served as our starting home base appeared as little more than a menu screen. It had immediate effect of making it very easy to get into the game, cash in and take on missions, buy and sell gear, and get back into the outer-space action, but we have to wonder how much these kinds of decisions will undercut how vast and immersive the end product will feel.

When we were actually out in space, dog-fighting with enemy ships, Jumpgate Evolution had a nice action-oriented feel. It was straightforward and moved quickly, with a targeting reticle that would lead your target that made the combat easy to get into. Jumpgate Evolution is looking pretty sharp, though we'll be curious to see how the performance holds up once we're playing on a server that's actually thick with other players. What was being shown worked well enough as a light and brisk Wing-Commander-style single-player experience, though the real test will be when we see it on a populated server. Still, what we played was intriguing enough that we're eager to jump into the game's beta, which should be jumping off fairly soon.

FUEL

Since Codemasters released the racing games DIRT and GRID over the last few years, you might expect the upcoming FUEL to fall right in with their ilk. It's got a four-letter, all-capital title that refers to some aspect of automotive racing, right? But you'd only be partially right. FUEL, in development at France-based Asobo, is quite different from those other games. It envisions a post-apocalyptic future ravaged by violent climate change where gasoline is scarce. The survivors compete for the remaining gas by racing against each other. So to get fuel, you have to burn fuel...wait, what? Hey man, don't question it. In the future, you do what you have to do to get by. And the future is ugly: It seems the crazy weather will hinder your racing from time to time with the occasional tornado, lightning strike, and so on, though I didn't see any such disasters in my brief hands-on time.

The most interesting aspect of FUEL is its incredibly large open world, which stretches over several thousand square miles of the midwestern United States (or at least what used to be the U.S.; the Codemasters presentation even pointed out the huge gouge in the landscape representing the Grand Canyon). The game's closed-circuit race courses, however, are confined to small areas. I imagine the open world will primarily come into play as you travel from one race to the next, sort of like in Burnout Paradise (only several hundred times bigger). You'll also be able to stretch your legs in all that open space by defining your own races courses, which you can share online for other players to compete in.

FUEL has been in development for the better part of four years, but seems like it's on track to finally hit shelves later this year.

sbritton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sbritton

Overlord II

The key thing to take from our early look at Overlord II is that the game is being designed to let players be a bit more evil. What's the best way to get that across? By having you prove your worthiness as an overlord to your potential minions... by clubbing a baby seal. The game picks up where the first one left off, putting you in the role of the original Overlord's son. You'll get to play a bit at the beginning of the game as a seven-year old before warping ahead to adulthood.

At its core, Overlord II doesn't look like a dramatic change for the series, with basic control concepts carrying over and lots of focus on controlling both yourself and your minions. You'll be able to possess minions and take direct control of one in some cases, and we were shown a bit where your little gremlin-like posse got disguised as Roman centurions in order to walk past some guards undetected. From there, you got control of a catapult, which is used to clear the way ahead (and take out a bunch of enemy troops, if you're into that sort of thing). It looks like precisely the sort of thing that fans of the original game will eat up when it hits 360, PS3, and PC in June.

Jumpgate Evolution

Our time with Jumpgate Evolution, the upcoming space-combat MMO from Auto Assault developer NetDevil, was admittedly less than ideal. Playing on a machine that wasn't hooked up to a populated test server, outer space was especially vacant, save for the NPC ships that served as mission fodder for us. Our time with the game was also quite brief, as folks were being rotated out every 15-20 minutes. So, it should speak volumes to the game's accessibility and the current speed of the player progression that we still managed to get some small sense of what Jumpgate Evolution's all about. 

Right from the start, the game seems set up to jump you into the action as quickly as possible. The character creation was limited to a single faction for the purposes of the demo, though it didn't seem like a particularly complicated process either way. Since there's no out-of-ship interaction in Jumpgate Evolution, our character was represented with one of just a few painted portraits. Similarly, the giant space cruiser that served as our starting home base appeared as little more than a menu screen. It had immediate effect of making it very easy to get into the game, cash in and take on missions, buy and sell gear, and get back into the outer-space action, but we have to wonder how much these kinds of decisions will undercut how vast and immersive the end product will feel.

When we were actually out in space, dog-fighting with enemy ships, Jumpgate Evolution had a nice action-oriented feel. It was straightforward and moved quickly, with a targeting reticle that would lead your target that made the combat easy to get into. Jumpgate Evolution is looking pretty sharp, though we'll be curious to see how the performance holds up once we're playing on a server that's actually thick with other players. What was being shown worked well enough as a light and brisk Wing-Commander-style single-player experience, though the real test will be when we see it on a populated server. Still, what we played was intriguing enough that we're eager to jump into the game's beta, which should be jumping off fairly soon.

FUEL

Since Codemasters released the racing games DIRT and GRID over the last few years, you might expect the upcoming FUEL to fall right in with their ilk. It's got a four-letter, all-capital title that refers to some aspect of automotive racing, right? But you'd only be partially right. FUEL, in development at France-based Asobo, is quite different from those other games. It envisions a post-apocalyptic future ravaged by violent climate change where gasoline is scarce. The survivors compete for the remaining gas by racing against each other. So to get fuel, you have to burn fuel...wait, what? Hey man, don't question it. In the future, you do what you have to do to get by. And the future is ugly: It seems the crazy weather will hinder your racing from time to time with the occasional tornado, lightning strike, and so on, though I didn't see any such disasters in my brief hands-on time.

The most interesting aspect of FUEL is its incredibly large open world, which stretches over several thousand square miles of the midwestern United States (or at least what used to be the U.S.; the Codemasters presentation even pointed out the huge gouge in the landscape representing the Grand Canyon). The game's closed-circuit race courses, however, are confined to small areas. I imagine the open world will primarily come into play as you travel from one race to the next, sort of like in Burnout Paradise (only several hundred times bigger). You'll also be able to stretch your legs in all that open space by defining your own races courses, which you can share online for other players to compete in.

FUEL has been in development for the better part of four years, but seems like it's on track to finally hit shelves later this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Really, really keen to give FUEL a try. Jumpgate may also be my return to MMOs... maybe... not likely.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By chronicsmoke

really lookin forward to FUEL

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

Fuel looks interesting.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jimbo7676

If Jumpgate is like Freelancer but better with lots of player and persistence then sign me up.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Overlord was pretty good but I felt it was a little too PG-13 but clubbing baby seals has me sold. Fuel looks fucking awesome and I'll definitely be picking it up when it comes oat.

BlackIrish05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BlackIrish05

Looking forward to Overlord II

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WiqidBritt

nice to see a drunken Garnett Lee

Overlord II looks good, I never got around to playing the first one, and Jumpgate is another in a long list of games that make me want a new computer.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By AspiringAndy

I like the look of Jumpgate and Overlord 2.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By MeatSim

I want a British accent.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

3 games for 09? What about Overlord: Dark Legend, Overlord: Minions, and stuff? Are those 2010?

Synister_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Synister_Gamer

Overlord 2 man. That's where the action is.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Black_Raven

Fuel and Jumpgate look like they'll be good, I never played the first Overlord so I dont really know what it is but it sounds interesting.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16  Edited By MachoFantastico

Any news on their Formula One game?

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InFamous91

Fuel and Overlord II grab my attention the most

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Hector

Hmm...Fuel is kinda looking good.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Kazona

Tornados, lighting strikes and racing? That is such a weird combination that I bet it'll be the best racing game I ever played.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ElectricHaggis

Overlord 2 is looking good.  Maybe I should go back and play the first one.

karkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By karkii

Fuel looks very promising but I've heard that it doesn't play that well. Those other two games I'm not so interested in.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By selbie

Jumpgate will hopefully be the renaissance of Space Combat games. If anyone is curious we have a community run wiki set up at http://jumpgateevo.wikia.com/wiki/Jumpgate_Evolution_Wiki

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By Aaron_G

I am really looking forward to Overlord II and FUEL.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By RHCPfan24

FUEL looks awesome. It could be the next Burnout Paradise for all we know.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kohe321

Overlord 2 looks awesome!

BlackPuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BlackPuma

What about that Formule 1 game they have been working on!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I`m looking forward to Overlord the most, but as an MMO fan, Jump gate looks pretty cool.
    Fuel also looks pretty neat and has a new idea for the racing genre atleast.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust

Jumpgate looking interesting but I am shy of an MMO where my major identity is my ship. 

SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SaucySala

Codemasters has a pretty nice line-up there.

Mainly excited for Overlord 2 though.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By zoozilla

I really like the idea behind FUEL.  That and the huge amount of terrain you can cover.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KnifeySpoony

I have high hopes for jumpgate, hopefully I can get into the beta when they work towards it. I wish they showed what using those huge planes is like in Fuel though.

As others mentioned, even though this is a 09 line up, it would have been nice to see what they were doing with the Formula 1 game.

Avatar image for fancifulunicorn
    fancifulunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fancifulunicorn

All I got from this video was "SPACE TRUCKER".
    Best Midnight Brown song ever.  Jeff? When are we gonna get some good Midnight Brown action on the site?

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By clarke0

FUEL looks really cool. I like the idea of being able to make my own tracks out of a huge landscape.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FlipperDesert

Signed-up for the Jumpgate open beta, can't wait to get some space-truckin' on. Maybe we should make a Giant Bombvoy (it's a play on convoy!) when it opens? :O

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Jedted

I'm super excited to play Overlord 2, everything they've talked about sounds like exactly what the game needs!

TheDarkVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheDarkVoid

Where is FORMULA 1 ?!!!!!!

JoshA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JoshA

"This happened. We were here." -Jeff Gerstmann

Thanks for giving us some tastey Codemasters coverage Giant Bomb!

JeremyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JeremyB

What!?... no info about Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising in codemasters '09 lineup. This game is coming out this summer and codemasters didn't have any new info.

Well looking forward to Jumpgate, and as always gentlemen good reporting from the codemaster's event.

Avatar image for matt_the_sniper
    Matt_the_Sniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Matt_the_Sniper

All I wanna know is where the heck is Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising?

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By Alphazero

/emote spaceship dance 3

Just kidding. Very excited for Jumpgate.

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MacGyver

really want to give overlord 2 a go but that's about it.

Andragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Andragon

Nobody should be fighting over fuel in any future where even today, electric and hydrogen alternatives are both good-to-go automobile energy alternatives.  Considering that, it'll be interesting to see what Codemaster's envisioned a future where that is not so.  A bit like Fallout 3 is an envisioned post-nuclear world deep into the realms of fiction, so it's not quite so depressing XD

FoolInjection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FoolInjection

Kind of disheartening that they haven't mentioned anything about the new F1 game they are most likely working on now that they own the licence.  Be the first time that an F1 game has been multi-platform since back in the days of the PS1 and the N64.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By ht101

That thing on Fuel made my head hurt for a little bit but it sounds like it could be a good game.

hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hughesie27

We ahve been in need of a good racer for a while now. Hopefully FUEL ignites our engines.

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Thunder

i actually kind of looking forward to Overlord 2 i thought the first game was alot of fun

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Media_Master

Fuel

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By DukeTogo

That Jumpgate looks good, I've been wanting to try EVE but it's just too extreme for my taste, this looks more approachable and less reliant on the intricacies of player guilds.

Fuel sounds more interesting with that premise behind it, but admittedly you could add that to the instruction manual of Motorstorm and it would be just as applicable.  Making the lack of pedestrians in a driving game explained as some post-apocalypse setting feels like a brilliant level of horse shit.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MrKlorox

Fuel sounds really cool, with this being the first I've heard of it. Kinda surprised there's no Operation Flashpoint 2 to speak of. Glad to see the consistent PC love from CM.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.