Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Control

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 27, 2019

Dive into a dark and brutalist-inspired world where daily reality has been corrupted by an otherworldly force.

Did the recent patch noticeably improve performance on the PS4?

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

Was just wondering if any duders out there could give an opinion on the quality of the recent performance patch for the PS4. I would like to get Control for the PS4 since it would just be easier for me than getting it on the PC, but if it's still bad on consoles, I have no problem getting it for the PC. Just wanted to get a feel if the new patch significantly improved performance. Thanks everyone!

Avatar image for deactivated-647f76b346730
    deactivated-647f76b346730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think it definitely improved the experience on my PS4 pro, not perfect but the slowdown is better!

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By haneybd87

Cooooool so they fixed the map and added a motion blur option after I've already beaten the game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It did, but there are still low frame rates, especially on the base console. Check out Digital Foundry, they put up a video for it.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I don’t know how this will affect XB1X but the frame rate was terrible there too. I can’t even imagine how terrible it was on base.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@haneybd87: I played it on the X; it was actually mostly fine. There were just moments of slowdown in key areas. It's best played on the X for sure. Digital Foundry hasn't taken a look at the X version, but if it does anything to the X version, it should pretty much fix any of the slowdown there or make it a non-issue. I already took the game off my system and I'm not sure if I care enough to put it back on right now just to see if it did anything. Once the DLC comes out maybe.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By haneybd87

@ntm: I played it on X too and the frame rate dropped by varying amounts on almost every fight. Some fights felt like single digit fps, like in the mail room. There were a couple other single digit areas too. The bureau alerts usually tanked the frame rate and made an already difficult fight even harder. Using the map tanked the frame rate. Pausing the game and unpausing tanked the frame rate. Watching FMV videos full screen had lots of moments where the video would freeze for a few seconds while the audio kept going.

I’m sure it is the best way to play the game but it’s still the worst performing game I’ve played on console in a long time. It ran like total crap.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

@haneybd87: Try clearing the cache on your system then restarting the console? I didn't run into any major slowdown for the majority of play. There were just a few areas that would chug down into the 20s for several seconds, otherwise, it stuck to 30fps most of the time. Yes though, the map made the fps run worse (luckily it was not something necessary to use), and I too had the issue where the FMV's would stutter or stop, as well as the issue where the coming out of the pause menu would make the game freeze for a second after getting back into it. I found those to be negligible hinderances. For the majority of time where gameplay counted, be it exploring or in the action, it mostly stuck to 30fps in my experience. I think there are a bunch of games, and recent games mind you that run worse than Control. Oh, and I hardly did the bureau alerts, they were pointless in my opinion. Padding.

Oh! To be clear, even though I think it goes without saying, I mean console wise it plays and looks best on the X. Obviously, if you want the best experience, play on a high-end PC.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By haneybd87

@ntm: Those worst areas you think dropped into the 20s dropped much lower than that when shit hit the fan, I’m sure of it. Especially when the enemies were shooting rockets. Those rockets really killed the frame rate. It’s not a cache problem on my console, other games are running just fine.

Another thing, the pop in was really awful. I’d be in scenes talking to people and the textures on them would be popping in and out. I can understand it taking a second to initially pop in but going in and out like that?

As for other recent games running worse than this, I really can’t speak to them, because I haven’t played them. Sure I’ve played some stuff with minor hiccups but nothing bad like this. The next worst thing would have to be Kingdom Hearts 3, but I’ll take a consistent micro stutter over the tanking frame rate during combat when frame rate is the most important any day.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Base PS4 ran at sub-10 frames often during the latter third of the campaign, and I'm not sure what about this patch could've improved that based on my scratches at the endgame. That said, I've always grown up playing inferior formats of things, so I found Control's frame drops pretty charming - in some ways even experience enhancing - outside of the ways it can make a precise game harder (to be frank, I don't think Control requires precision, especially in its critical path, to the point framerate matters) and leave you feeling like you actually did that thing you felt you did.

It could totally be due to mainlining the game at launch with little to no real preamble to what it was other than a Psi-Ops with a morphing gun, but I really felt like everything "wrong" with this game lent to its appeal. It'll be a shame when it exists in some pristine condition two years from now on every gaming platform and nobody remembers the time Control felt like a PS1 game, built a world like a rarely good N64 game, combined every known popular combat mechanic of its previous 15 years, led thousands of players down numerous black holes only to arrive them at "supernatural siblings confront the limitations of humanity" and some neat sounding DLC...

I could just keep talking about this game, man, and for me a decent proportion of that romantic feeling is due to its flaws. So I get why people would want it to run "well", but I'll feel a loss whenever that happens (to be clear: I'm not sure it runs better after the patch, but I'm sure it doesn't run worse.)

I hopped back into the game a day after the patch came out and tried the 2nd endgame mini-boss another handful of times; it felt more smooth, I think. It was the first time in many swings at that encounter that I felt like it wasn't the game's performance that let me down, rather the dozens of Apex Legends rounds, MLB the Show innings and tentative experiments with Red Dead Online that made my performance questionable.

So...it probably does play better, but I'm not sure if by much? I fall on the side Control is rad enough from a world building and purely experiential level that some harsh dips in framerate are perfectly excusable. It gets so many big picture things right, and charmingly flubs the small picture things in the right ways. Which is my artsy way of saying if you disagree with my assertion that framerate, ultimately, is a small thing - stay away, I guess? I understand the appeal of withholding oneself from something they want.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@haneybd87: I finished it on Xbox One X and thought it was pretty good. Pausing introduced some hitches for a few seconds, and if you use the grenade launcher, things get tough to deal with...though the launcher may be more chaos than performance.

I didn’t notice a change after the patch on Xbox One X, for what it’s worth.

SirVantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing for a few days. Haven't read much online about the issues with the game, but the main ones that I'm experiencing is lag after exiting the pause menu, or coming back to the game from the Playstation homepage, and also sometimes when I bring up the map it is just blank, sometimes for up to a minute (no matter how many time I close and open it back up). Not enough to totally diminish my experience, but it can be a bit annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.