Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crackdown 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 06, 2010

Crackdown 2 is the sequel to the popular open-world supercop game. Players return to Pacific City, where rampaging mutants and resistance groups vie for control of the streets. The sequel adds four-player co-op along with competitive multiplayer.

Knee-Jerk Impressions on Crackdown 2

• 63 results
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By BlazeHedgehog

So I just downloaded and played the Crackdown 2 demo for the first time. The video you see above was actually me livestreaming the game over at my uStream channel, and it's about 30 minutes long. After having played it once... eh. I don't know that it's as fun as the original Crackdown was. Okay, sure, it still has that awesome power-up system, and yeah, there are plenty of orbs to collect, but...

Crackdown 1 was like a Mega Man game, in a way. There were six or eight guys per island and taking them down in specific orders would have an impact on the game world. Take the weapons expert down first, and not only are you given a totally sweet grenade launcher, but everybody else working for that gang will have wussy guns. But, if you choose to take down the weapons expert last? Sure, he'll still have that amazing grenade launcher, but so will all of his guards, and you're going to be exploded in to a fine mist within seconds. The world had a tangible and fairly immediate reaction to the actions you took within it.

Now, Crackdown 2 is like every other open world game except instead of needing to drive to one location and kill all the guys, you need to drive to three locations and kill all the guys. Though you're given the option to go to the three in any order, none of that matters because each of the three locations are nearly identical and what you do at one location has no impact on the other two. It's just more "Cell" rebels to shoot, and more zombies to explode. It feels like I'm grinding in an MMO - but instead of a hobbit telling me he wants three gortusk livers, it's a nebulous Agency voice-over demanding that I activate three sunlight generators (or whatever those things were).

And while we're at it, let's talk about the Agency V.O. He was amusing in the original Crackdown, but there's also too much of a good thing. He constantly flaps his gums about every little thing in the world, now. Every turret, every orb, every vehicle, and almost every kill. It's entirely possible that he only does this because it's technically "the beginning" of the game, but it's still kind of annoying. It also doesn't help that the tone in which he speaks is also pretty blatantly menacing. It's not difficult to conjure mental images of a man in silhouette wringing his hands with evil intent every time this guy talks to you, even when the instructions he's giving you are supposedly things that are meant to benefit the city. 

Overall... ehhhh. I'll probably go through it a couple more times just to get a feel for it, but so far I am not impressed.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

So I just downloaded and played the Crackdown 2 demo for the first time. The video you see above was actually me livestreaming the game over at my uStream channel, and it's about 30 minutes long. After having played it once... eh. I don't know that it's as fun as the original Crackdown was. Okay, sure, it still has that awesome power-up system, and yeah, there are plenty of orbs to collect, but...

Crackdown 1 was like a Mega Man game, in a way. There were six or eight guys per island and taking them down in specific orders would have an impact on the game world. Take the weapons expert down first, and not only are you given a totally sweet grenade launcher, but everybody else working for that gang will have wussy guns. But, if you choose to take down the weapons expert last? Sure, he'll still have that amazing grenade launcher, but so will all of his guards, and you're going to be exploded in to a fine mist within seconds. The world had a tangible and fairly immediate reaction to the actions you took within it.

Now, Crackdown 2 is like every other open world game except instead of needing to drive to one location and kill all the guys, you need to drive to three locations and kill all the guys. Though you're given the option to go to the three in any order, none of that matters because each of the three locations are nearly identical and what you do at one location has no impact on the other two. It's just more "Cell" rebels to shoot, and more zombies to explode. It feels like I'm grinding in an MMO - but instead of a hobbit telling me he wants three gortusk livers, it's a nebulous Agency voice-over demanding that I activate three sunlight generators (or whatever those things were).

And while we're at it, let's talk about the Agency V.O. He was amusing in the original Crackdown, but there's also too much of a good thing. He constantly flaps his gums about every little thing in the world, now. Every turret, every orb, every vehicle, and almost every kill. It's entirely possible that he only does this because it's technically "the beginning" of the game, but it's still kind of annoying. It also doesn't help that the tone in which he speaks is also pretty blatantly menacing. It's not difficult to conjure mental images of a man in silhouette wringing his hands with evil intent every time this guy talks to you, even when the instructions he's giving you are supposedly things that are meant to benefit the city. 

Overall... ehhhh. I'll probably go through it a couple more times just to get a feel for it, but so far I am not impressed.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

Harsh, man.

Spartan14003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spartan14003

I knew it was going to be a dissapointment when I heard the lead designer, David Jones (Also the creator of Grand Theft Auto), wasn't going to work on it. Haven't played the demo yet, but reading this makes not want to.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It looked meh from the start.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Not surprised

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xMP44x

I downloaded it, and I tried it as well. I agree with everything you said OP. True post is true.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Ravenousrattler

I personally thought it was great, giving you a little taste before july 6th. Just like just cause 2, it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @Ravenousrattler: And I had a ton of fun with the Just Cause 2 demo. I had some fun with this, I guess, but not as much as the original Crackdown.
    druid42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By druid42

I was feeling bummed about not pre-ordering this game since a big chunk of my online friends will be getting this game.  This makes me feel a little bit better.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CharlieTuna

I was really hoping that this one was going to turn out good, I'll give it a try myself.

However I did pay only $20 for the first game (got it late, did not care for Halo), which seems right for that game, I don't know if I'll be spending full price on it.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VWGTI

Just played it and MEHHHHHHH!

Kinda boring and wasn't all that fun. That makes me sad. :(

Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Evil_Alaska

Wow, I really liked the first Crackdown, but this sucks.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikeeegeee

Wow, it's a demo. Also, it has CCR in the soundtrack. For that reason alone I'm incredibly hyped.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By CharleyTony

I really liked Crackdown 1 even though it had a lot of rough edges. After playing the crackdown 2 demo, I feel like there is something "OFF" wth that game, it feels less tight with the controls & I think it looks a little uglier (or cheaper if you wil) than the first one. That might be the new team that made it or just the fact that they had to cut some corners in order to make other things possible, like the real coop...    
    Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun
    @CharleyTony said:
    " I really liked Crackdown 1 even though it had a lot of rough edges. After playing the crackdown 2 demo, I feel like there is something "OFF" wth that game, it feels less tight with the controls & I think it looks a little uglier (or cheaper if you wil) than the first one. That might be the new team that made it or just the fact that they had to cut some corners in order to make other things possible, like the real coop...     "
    yeah, i mean i love the Crackdown art style and overall game play, Crackdown 2 felt... not right
    Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Evil_Alaska

I say the "not right thing" is the controls and aiming system.  

I haven't played the first one in over a year so my memory might not be so great, but I swear the controls on the first one where tighter, the aiming was better, and shooting a gun had some feel to it. The gunplay in the demo was awful, I never felt like I was shooting a gun when I was.  

Not to mention the melee combat which felt poorer than the first one also.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @mikeeegeee said:
    " Wow, it's a demo. Also, it has CCR in the soundtrack. For that reason alone I'm incredibly hyped. "
    At first people say you can't judge a game based on how a trailer looks

Then they say you can't judge a game based on actual gameplay footage

Now you're saying I can't judge a game after having actually played it myself?

What's the point of releasing ANYTHING for a game at all if I'm not supposed to use it to find out if I like the game or not? And how the hell does the presence of ONE SONG even matter in a game like this? You can just get the song off of iTunes if it matters that much.
    somethingepic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By somethingepic

i liked crackdown 1 but this game feels like a big flaming turd bag

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sil3n7
    @mikeeegeee said:

" Wow, it's a demo. Also, it has CCR in the soundtrack. For that reason alone I'm incredibly hyped. "

uhhhh WHAT!? It's a demo. A demo is like a commercial highlighting the best parts of the game so that people buy it. Your logic is very backwards if you think saying its a demo is a good defense.... In fact it's the worst.

As far as my feelings about the demo, it's very disappointing. It's a game that feels stuck in some very old designs and it feels like a step forward with coop and two steps back with the mechanics and controls.
    somethingepic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By somethingepic
    @Sil3n7 said:
    " @mikeeegeee said:
    uhhhh WHAT!? It's a demo. A demo is like a commercial highlighting the best parts of the game so that people buy it. Your logic is very backwards if you think saying its a demo is a good defense.... In fact its the worst. "
    Exactly
    Avatar image for glitznglam_style
    glitznglam_style

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By glitznglam_style

I loved it. Felt like more of Crackdown with more variety. More of a good thing is never a bad thing, imo. I respect your opinion, but I disagree. 

Crackdown is just as fun as ever and I can't fucking wait to get my grubby little paws on #2. It's become my most played demo.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @BlazeHedgehog: Well, the nature of the demo is what turns me off to premature judgments of the game. It's timed, and the leveling mechanics are dicked around with so that they don't accurately reflect how they'll play out in the retail game. And how are you making critiques of the story already? Maybe I'm not as well read on the game as others, but who's to say the mission structure isn't similar or improved? I mean, OP sounds as though he's played through the full game, that's all.

And of course I have the song from Itunes. But you throw CCR into any game and I'm sold. CCR is the ish.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Rowr
    @Sil3n7 said:
    " @mikeeegeee said:

uhhhh WHAT!? It's a demo. A demo is like a commercial highlighting the best parts of the game so that people buy it. Your logic is very backwards if you think saying its a demo is a good defense.... In fact it's the worst.  As far as my feelings about the demo, it's very disappointing. It's a game that feels stuck in some very old designs and it feels like a step forward with coop and two steps back with the mechanics and controls. "
    not all demo's are good genius.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Afroman269

You have valid points but it is still just a demo. I'll wait for reviews to decide if this game is a dud or not.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sil3n7
    @Rowr said:
    " @Sil3n7 said:
    " @mikeeegeee said:

uhhhh WHAT!? It's a demo. A demo is like a commercial highlighting the best parts of the game so that people buy it. Your logic is very backwards if you think saying its a demo is a good defense.... In fact it's the worst.  As far as my feelings about the demo, it's very disappointing. It's a game that feels stuck in some very old designs and it feels like a step forward with coop and two steps back with the mechanics and controls. "
    not all demo's are good genius. "
    You are right they aren't....know why? cause the games are not good. You sir are a fool.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rowr
    @Sil3n7 said:
    " @Rowr said:
    " @Sil3n7 said:
    " @mikeeegeee said:

You are right they aren't....know why? cause the games are not good. You sir are a fool. "
    A demo doesnt always represent the quality of a full game, and almost never represents what depth there might be. Especially a demo made by a smaller company developing a title more focused on fun than quality.

But this is common knowledge. So either your being retarded on purpose, or you're a waste of breath. It's probably a combination of both.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jkz
    Why am I not in the least bit stunned, shocked, surprised, or disbelieving of this. The first crackdown was a fun surprise, but this seems to have nothing new going for it.
    Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sil3n7
    @Rowr said:

" @Sil3n7 said:

" @Rowr said:

" @Sil3n7 said:

" @mikeeegeee said:

You are right they aren't....know why? cause the games are not good. You sir are a fool. "
    A demo doesnt always represent the quality of a full game, and almost never represents what depth there might be. Especially a demo made by a smaller company developing a title more focused on fun than quality. But this is common knowledge. So either your being retarded on purpose, or you're a waste of breath. It's probably a combination of both. "
    If you are going to tell me that the Crackdown 2 demo (something that is pretty much the full game with a 30 minute timer) is not an accurate representation of the product you are a moron. PERIOD.

"a title more focused on fun than quality"...also by this quote I can confirm you have nothing intelligent to say.
    Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sadisticham

The demo has turned me from an instant day one buyer into a "wait n see" sorta guy. From someone who loved the original to the point where i got all those bloody orbs and did everything in the game this one was ugly for a start, the commentator did yap on far to much and it felt rather cheap and rubbish to play.

I think the biggest problem is I'm used to being maxed out in every stat and super powerful and in the demo I'm rather weak and useless. Mistake IMO they should of given you a maxed out player to fool around with. Game isn't any fun when you can't jump miles into the air, kick cars and so on.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Barrock

I was psyched about the game, wanting to order it through Amazon because it is $10 off and comes with bonuses. But with this negative word of mouth I won't be.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArchScabby

It's completely Crackdown 1.  It's almost seems like the same game.  Which I guess isn't totally a bad thing...

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say that the demo probably isn't totally representative of the total content in the game, or the reasonable amount of fun you're going to have with that game. (My token example is Burnout Paradise, whose demo I pretty much hated, though I find the full game basically indispensable.) 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Sooperspy

Much worse than I expected. The graphics were meh, AI was horrible, gunplay sucked because of the auto aim. The only thing that was improved from the first game was the driving

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#34  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I did feel there was something off with the aiming and the hand-to-hand combat. But other than that it felt much like Crackdown 1. Which means I will probably get this as well once the price dips way low, just as I did with Crackdown 1.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By ravensword

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I love the vibrant colors and the game is pretty addictingly fun, like the first one. Graphics are a little meh sometimes, but it has really nice art direction.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By ez123

Check around the settings, if that guy annoys you that much, I'm pretty sure you can just turn his voice off. 

I really like the audio logs and the agency voice's reactions to them. I've played the demo a ton, am really enjoying it . I still have some questions before I buy it and hopefully the GB review answers them.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Sil3n7 said:
    " @mikeeegeee said:

Although I don't agree with the whole "it's only a demo so the game will be much better" thing, usually demos give a pretty good idea of the final game... when has a demo EVER given "the best parts of the game" like you say?
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rhaknar

watching the video, i never played the first Crackdown, but orb hunting will be the death of me with my OCD, I was getting orbs in Spiderman Web Of shadows for fuck sake, and those didnt do anything I could tell... these are for lvling and making your character crazier? Im doomed >_<

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Shut down your brain, play for the mindless fun.

Altho this reminds me of Just Cause 2, it's good fun for a while, but you might be done with it earlier then you 'd expect.
    Also, the lvl 5 powers felt a bit lame, expected more.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gike987

I bought the original game a month ago and loved it, one of the best games this generation. This demo felt worse in every way. The UI felt harder to read, the new art style got old fast, it controlled worse (except driving) and the announcer was overused. The missions wasn't much improved either.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By cstrang

I never really enjoyed the first Crackdown that much, but I was kinda wondering how this game is since people here seem to have loved the demo.

PowerBombYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PowerBombYo

Just played the demo myself.  As others have said, the controls feel off. The aiming sucks.
    I'm sure there is some fun to be had in the game, just not $60 worth of fun. 
    Driving over tons of mutant people was about the only thing I enjoyed. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Claude

I played the Crackdown demo and thought nothing of it. I didn't buy the retail version and will skip the sequel. Demos mean something to me and if I don't get it, I'm not getting it.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

The original Super Mario Bros had better physics.  The animation and motion/moon-walking of the character looks horrible.  He seems to have no momentum.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By slyspider

i have been playing it for a while (got a early release) and i thought it was kol, but then i got my four friends in a game and FUCK THAT WAS FUN!!!!!!! a day one buy for me

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By slyspider
    @Sil3n7: ur a dumnass.
    Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sil3n7
    @slyspider said:
    " @Sil3n7: ur a dumnass. "
    You can't spell... so really, who is the dumb ass?
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Barrock

Played the demo tonight and I must say I found it to be quite meh. :( Definitely glad I didn't pre-order it. Maybe when it is around $20.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By slyspider
    @Sil3n7 said:
    " @slyspider said:
    " @Sil3n7: ur a dumnass. "
    You can't spell... so really, who is the dumb ass? "
    still you
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kmdrkul

Played the demo earlier.  Not much to say that hasn't been said already - the aiming/shooting stinks, the menus look cluttered, the controls feel convoluted, and the graphics were really sub-par.  Didn't help that they chose to start you off in a generic docking area with a bunch of crates that look exactly the same. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.