Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Achievement list released..one of them...bothers me.

• 66 results
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    Link to list  

The one that bothers me is 

Dedication25 
    Play online 6 months after your first time

Uhh...so this more or less means a S rank is impossible until the game has been out 6 months. I am sort of surprised this is an achievement. I guess they are trying to push for fewer trade in and more people playing the game...Course in 6 will the online still be around?  
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By fox01313

Strange though if you have gamefly you can always trade the game in when tired of it & grab it later after a few months for it. Bloody silly of them to do this though but I can understand the mentality of it. Hopefully they'll put some DLC (free or paid) by then to at least make revisiting the game worthwhile. Time will tell.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @fox01313 said:
    "

Strange though if you have gamefly you can always trade the game in when tired of it & grab it later after a few months for it. Bloody silly of them to do this though but I can understand the mentality of it. Hopefully they'll put some DLC (free or paid) by then to at least make revisiting the game worthwhile. Time will tell.

"
    Wonder if you can go into your xbox time settings...but that does get fixed when you connect to xboxlive...does it count the demo? 
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Azteck

Wow that is.. a really lame achievement. So basically all you could do is play one match when it's new, then come back half a year later and get into another one and you've successfully gotten the achievement? 

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Gerhabio

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMN This is crazy explicit

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

It's just an achievement.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

As much as I hate online achievements, I think this one is actually pretty clever.  Sure, there willl be the achievement hunting asshats that won't play the game for most of the six months in between, get this achievement, and then trade the game in, but it is a nice way to reward dedicated online players.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Hailinel said:
    " As much as I hate online achievements, I think this one is actually pretty clever.  Sure, there willl be the achievement hunting asshats that won't play the game for most of the six months in between, get this achievement, and then trade the game in, but it is a nice way to reward dedicated online players. "
    Eh, you could just as easily (and arguably to a greater effect) just make the achievement "Play 500 online matches" or something.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " As much as I hate online achievements, I think this one is actually pretty clever.  Sure, there willl be the achievement hunting asshats that won't play the game for most of the six months in between, get this achievement, and then trade the game in, but it is a nice way to reward dedicated online players. "
    Eh, you could just as easily (and arguably to a greater effect) just make the achievement "Play 500 online matches" or something. "
    True, but if you're a dedicated player, how many online matches might the average player play over six months?
    crunchmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By crunchmonkey

Lost Planet 2 had the same thing. On PS3 you could set the clock ahead and get the Trophy. I'm not sure if you could on 360 though.
    Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I still don't understand why people care about achievements. There is zero value associated with them, why waste your time chasing them? I play games because I enjoy them, not to inflate a meaningless number. 

On a side note, people in the apartment below me just had ridiculously loud simultaneous orgasms.  

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Kiro

Trade it in after you finish it now for 40$ and buy it back in 6 months used for 15$, simple.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @RollingZeppelin said:
    " I still don't understand why people care about achievements. There is zero value associated with them, why waste your time chasing them? I play games because I enjoy them, not to inflate a meaningless number.    On a side note, people in the apartment below me just had ridiculously loud simultaneous orgasms.   "
    We are not talking about their value..but that the idea of having to keep/play a game 6 months...they seem to expect the online to be very popular enough for people to get matches 6 months later. 
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Daveyo520
    @CL60 said:
    " It's just an achievement. "
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By fox01313

The way I'm reading it is revisiting the game over playing constantly for 6 months time. I always didn't like those achievements which had 'play x number of matches' over 'get x number of kills with this weapon' as I've seen too many times with some games where the multiplayer community or online servers drop off making finding a match tougher but hey if the game is fun you might get it. Hopefully they at least adopt what Valve does with Team Fortress2 on at least showing progression meters on achievements like this to at least give you an idea how close you might be to getting it or ditching going after it (wish more games did this btw).

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Hailinel said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @Hailinel said:
    Eh, you could just as easily (and arguably to a greater effect) just make the achievement "Play 500 online matches" or something. "
    True, but if you're a dedicated player, how many online matches might the average player play over six months? "
    Number's arbitrary and could be adjusted. I mean, with this achievement, you're giving someone who played 2 matches over six months and someone who played 1000 matches over six months the same reward. 

@RollingZeppelin said: 

" I still don't understand why people care about achievements. There is zero value associated with them, why waste your time chasing them? I play games because I enjoy them, not to inflate a meaningless number. "

They do it because they enjoy "inflating a meaningless number." Just because you don't enjoy achievement hunting doesn't mean nobody else does.    
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rollingzeppelin
    @ajamafalous: I suppose someone could enjoy hitting the y button on their keyboard over and over again for a flash game that pops up with the question "Do you enjoy repeatedly hitting the y button for absolutely no reason?" but that doesn't mean that it makes any sense to a sane human being. 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slaker117
    @RollingZeppelin said:
    " I still don't understand why people care about achievements. There is zero value associated with them, why waste your time chasing them? I play games because I enjoy them, not to inflate a meaningless number.    On a side note, people in the apartment below me just had ridiculously loud simultaneous orgasms.   "
    I don't care about my overall score, I just like having a way of tracking who's beaten what, and if I really like a game, getting an S-rank is a nice ultimate goal. It my be meaningless, but it gives a sense of completion.
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rollingzeppelin
    @The_Laughing_Man: Ya that expectation is kind of stupid, although I do occasionally revisit old games that I've really enjoyed, so maybe that's what they aiming for? In any case playing a game for six months or even revisiting it six months later solely for an achievement is kind of pathetic. 
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk
    @RollingZeppelin said:
    " I still don't understand why people care about achievements. There is zero value associated with them, why waste your time chasing them? I play games because I enjoy them, not to inflate a meaningless number. "
    To find the answers why so many people are completely batshit about achievements and want it "NOW", read up on autism and obsessive-compulsive disorders.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @RollingZeppelin said:
    they seem to expect the online to be very popular enough for people to get matches 6 months later.  "
    I think the idea is to get people back into the game six months down the line.
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rollingzeppelin
    @Slaker117: I just think that there's far better things you could be doing for the feeling of completion than spending that many more hours on a game that you've played into the ground days ago just to get an achievement that's designed for the one purpose of dragging out the playing time of a game.  
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scarace360

At least you dont have to play a game everyday for 6 months.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slaker117
    @RollingZeppelin:  The only time I've really had to push myself to get all the achievements in a game I felt like I was done with was for AC1, and that was during summer break, when I was both depressed and had insomnia. There wasn't much I would have been doing otherwise. For most other games I've 100%ed, I would have continued playing anyway, achievements just gave me something specific to go for.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I'm pretty sure a clock change should to the trick.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " I'm pretty sure a clock change should to the trick. "
    Doubt it since xbox live updates your system when you sign in. 
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    Doubt it since xbox live updates your system when you sign in.  "
    Damnit. Well, it's not as bad as certain games forcing you to play them online every day for an achievement. As some others said, trade it in and then buy it back after six months or something.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jeffsekai

Ya! Screw them for wanting people to come back and check the multiplayer out 6 months after release, why would you want to play a game you paid for again 6 months after!!! fuck them!!!

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bones8677

That's a bit shady. Oh wait, it's an EA game. Never mind, business as usual.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By grilledcheez

That'll keep em' coming back!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Enigma777

Well, better than playing it for 6 months straight!

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bones8677

I'm calling it, we're moving towards achievements being available only if you buy the game new.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MKHavoc

If it starts getting too difficult to find an online game six months later, I could see a site like xbox360achievements.org setting something up like they did for a basketball game a while back.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Cameron

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway had an achievement for playing the game on September 17th and the game came out on September 23rd. No one could get that achievement (legitimately) for almost a year, so there is a history of this kind of achievement.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By vidiot

I'm more bothered by the "Reach Rank 50" achievement. What the hell is Rank 50? Who knows, but usual multiplayer achievements that force players to hit high rank's usually are gratuitous grinds.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @vidiot said:
    " I'm more bothered by the "Reach Rank 50" achievement. What the hell is Rank 50? Who knows, but usual multiplayer achievements that force players to hit high rank's usually are gratuitous grinds. "
    Who knows?  Maybe it'll take the average player six months to get there.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By JasonR86
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " Link to list  

The one that bothers me is 

Dedication25 
    Play online 6 months after your first time
         Uhh...so this more or less means a S rank is impossible until the game has been out 6 months. I am sort of surprised this is an achievement. I guess they are trying to push for fewer trade in and more people playing the game...Course in 6 will the online still be around?   "

They don't have an awful lot of faith in the staying power of their multiplayer do they?  To me, this makes the assumption that I as a player will stop playing this multiplayer.  Isn't the point of making a compelling multiplayer to keep players playing that multiplayer not to let the players take a 6 month break?
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By yinstarrunner

Funny.  Pretty clever way to stop achievement whores from trading their game in after 3 days.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Oh well

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cazamalos

with battlefield 3 , gears of war 3 and uncharted 3 coming out 6 months after crysis 2, i guess that achievement no one (or almost no one) is going to have it

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RollingZeppelin said:
    I have always found it fun to get 100% completion, or collect every little collectible in games. I have always repeatedly finished games in harder and harder difficulties and after wards I would set my own rules like Finish in X amount of time, use only a certain weapon, or take 0 hits. In past generations of consoles I would only get my feeling of accomplishment and honestly that was enough. Achievements give me challenges to go after, YOU might find zero value in them but I love going after the challenging and harder achievements that I otherwise would have made up on my own. Along with the feeling of accomplishment now you get a small award to show for it, evidence of that just makes it feel all the better.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Spoonman671
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    Doubt it since xbox live updates your system when you sign in.  "
    It might work on PS3 though, because I don't think that signing into PSN automatically adjusts your time/date settings.  Regardless, I have a feeling this information will be tracked server-side and won't be possible to cheat on any platform.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#43  Edited By LordAndrew

Seems they want to retain an active online community after six months. I don't blame them, considering how quickly people move on.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

This sort of tells me they are worried about people sticking around for the online play. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Vinny_Says

at least they dont want you to be FUCKING FIRST ON THE LEADERBOARD!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By awesomeusername
    @The_Laughing_Man: So this means get the game, play a match, stop playing, and then play another match 6 months later? 

EDIT: Forget it, I get it now.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShaneDev

I think its a sort of smart way to stop people trading it back in if you care about achievements. Its kinda funny too.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By nintendoeats

I understand that everybody is pissed about this seeming like an incredibly explicit anti-trading measure...but it does have the added benefit of guaranteeing a small boost to the online community once it has been out 6-12 months. That's not a bad thing at all.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By Shady

Lost Planet 2 already did this and it was one of the easier achievements.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#50  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @somejerk said:
    " @RollingZeppelin said:
    To find the answers why so many people are completely batshit about achievements and want it "NOW", read up on autism and obsessive-compulsive disorders. "
    I didn't know making fun of autism is funny.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.