Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Crysis 2 - First Gameplay Screens

• 54 results
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Very impressive...

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By emkeighcameron

Very nice, though I'm a little disappointed by the alien-mech design. Graphically, it looks fucking sweet, though. Hope my computer can handle it.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Nice engine, but agreed about not liking the character designs. I hope the game's graphics are more than just technically proficient but I suspect it will suffer from shooter-itis -> poor artistic choices.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hot damn, any indication of whether this is PC or console?  PC I'm guessing, but I thought I heard somewhere they've mostly showed console footage.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Totally unimpressive compared to crysis on very high. Look like crysis on medium settings meets resistance 2 and mirrors edge, consolized and downgrade complete.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

I wouldn't point this out for, like, any other game, but really? You're laying newspaper textures right on the concrete? So I can blow that car up or knock that tree down, but if I shoot next to the newspaper it'll just stay glued to the concrete. I only notice because this is the cleanest invaded city I've ever seen and the only thing they have to indicate any kind of chaos is a newspaper texture on the concrete. Again, only noticing because the developers seem to be egging it on.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Totally unimpressive compared to crysis on very high.

"
    If these are console screenshots though, they're extremely impressive if you ask me.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bionicicide

When was the last time you REALLY needed to use a compass in a shooter?

And of course the shell casings kick to the left even though it should be on the right... animations should bring everything to life in video, if the previews are anything to attest to.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf

Looks really impressive. Does anyone know whether it is PC or 360 screenshots? 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Looks great. I look forward to 2014 when I will have a computer that can run it like this.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By spacetrucking
    @ryanwho said:

" I wouldn't point this out for, like, any other game, but really? You're laying newspaper textures right on the concrete? So I can blow that car up or knock that tree down, but if I shoot next to the newspaper it'll just stay glued to the concrete. I only notice because this is the cleanest invaded city I've ever seen and the only thing they have to indicate any kind of chaos is a newspaper texture on the concrete. Again, only noticing because the developers seem to be egging it on. "

Actually, the general art design looks a little questionable. When you render things in such high detail, even the smallest discrepancy tends to stand out. Like the street signs (on the top left) being super clean and straight during a near apocalyptic event (i assume). 

I'm sure everyone is just sick of dirt and brown in games but you can't make things this clean during an alien invasion either. It tends to affect the sense of ruin and danger they are supposed to represent. Again, as you pointed out - it's only a notable flaw because the game looks so sharp and CryTek seems to be really marketing the graphical prowess on this. 

I'll wait for the full game or at least gameplay footage before unnecessarily bashing them anymore. For all I know, this is just the first 5 mins of the game and the rest could be all DirTek 2.0, I do have some very high expectations for this one.
    blaze503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blaze503

looks good, i prefer the alien design to the first ones, and the gun looks badass.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai

SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By thatfrood

We interrupt this program to bring you breaking news: Crysis 2 looks good.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

Impressive if this is console.  I'm guessing it isn't, because I'm guessing that's volumetric fog in the first screenshot.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

linky is always ontop of things. nice pics man thanks

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Adamsons

Aliens sure have changed a lot.

UI looks pretty ugly imo. Probably because the res is sub 1280 x 720 though.

Gun model is decent.. the thumb looks weird though, or is that just me?

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By captain_clayman

looks pretty good 
    and remember guys, the thing about crysis is that it always looks better in motion. 

looks very very different from the first crysis because it's in a city but this still looks amazing. 

think my future crossfire 5850's will be able to run this?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond
    @Jimbo said:
    Impressive if this is console.  I'm guessing it isn't, because I'm guessing that's volumetric fog in the first screenshot.
    Of all the details in the screenshots, you pick a graphical effect from 1996 as to why it can't be console screenshots :P
    Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cazamalos

i hope this are consoles screens, because crysis1 looks much better than this (on my friend's crazy expensive gaming computer)

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo
    @Diamond said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    Of all the details in the screenshots, you pick a graphical effect from 1996 as to why it can't be console screenshots :P "
    No, I picked the graphical effect that is sometimes the only difference between the console and PC versions of a game.  Crazy I know!
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dbz1995
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " linky is always ontop of things. nice pics man thanks "
    'Tis why we love him. Nice pics though.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60

Not as good looking as Crysis 1. But it's pretty damn good looking for consoles.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diamond
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Diamond said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    Of all the details in the screenshots, you pick a graphical effect from 1996 as to why it can't be console screenshots :P "
    No, I picked the graphical effect that is sometimes the only difference between the console and PC versions of a game.  Crazy I know!
    Not to go too far off topic, but examples?  I don't think that was ever true, maybe you're confusing it with volumetric lighting?

Anyways, I'm not so impressed with these screens, even in terms of a console game.  Their recent tech video was pretty poor too.  I'm not sure Crytek really has a good handle on the console hardware and I'm thinking they don't have the resources to develop a high end PC version at the same time.  I actually expected more out of them.  These pics are reminding me too much of The Conduit :X
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Diamond said:

" @Jimbo said:

" @Diamond said:

" @Jimbo said:
    Not to go too far off topic, but examples?  I don't think that was ever true, maybe you're confusing it with volumetric lighting?  Anyways, I'm not so impressed with these screens, even in terms of a console game.  Their recent tech video was pretty poor too.  I'm not sure Crytek really has a good handle on the console hardware and I'm thinking they don't have the resources to develop a high end PC version at the same time.  I actually expected more out of them.  These pics are reminding me too much of The Conduit :X "
    I have to say, I'm pretty fucking impressed by this series of posts. And not just because Diamond is taking a civil attitude towards a PC-oriented topic.

(If you couldn't tell, this is a compliment. Take it.)

Aaaanyway. It looks good, but honestly I think I'm done with first-person shooters that aren't TF2. Stagnant genre is stagnant. :/
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zombie2011

Thanks a lot, my macbook just exploded trying to load those pictures, the graphics are to powerful.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By mikemcn

The only reason the original crysis looked as good as it did was because it was largely foliage, particle effects and dirt, the indoor/building parts never looked quite as good. When you have natural shapes, theres more leeway, visually, for things to be a little off, but when your dealing with hard edges and shapes, it can be alot harder to make the game look realistic. I think putting Crysis 2 in a Urban setting was a risky move for such a graphically intense game, but it seems like they are doing as good as anyone can given the setting.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Gizmo
    @cazamalos said:
    " i hope this are consoles screens, because crysis1 looks much better than this (on my friend's crazy expensive gaming computer) "
    Oh sure, the console version will look this good... from 10 feet away.

Get up close however and you'll see jaggies big enough to fit a sandwich in.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29  Edited By Geno

I hope that's the console version shown in the shots :/  

That actually looks kind of bad even for console. Hopefully they'll brush it up before release. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond
    @Three0neFive: If I'm getting complimented from you I must be doing something wrong. :P  The genre is definitely stagnant, but sticking with TF2 forever would be pretty stagnant too.
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ATrevelan

I hope the game is fun. Because the original Crysis was killer fun, even if you had to put everything on High or Medium. 

Also, is anyone else surprised to see blood effects given that Crytek's a German company and Deutschland has a habit of wielding a two-handed Banhammer +5 (with an additional 2d6 fire attack vs. "immorality") on anything that hints at the red stuff?

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Diamond said:

" @Three0neFive: If I'm getting complimented from you I must be doing something wrong. :P  The genre is definitely stagnant, but sticking with TF2 forever would be pretty stagnant too. "

Consider it an apology for being such a dick in every discussion we've had - I've realized hostility will get me nowhere, especially now that I seem to have (for some reason) grown an attatchment to this community... But this isn't the place for my overly-dramatic revelations. :P

Eventually, yes. But given that it came out in '07 and is still recieving massive updates, I don't think that time will come very soon.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jimbo
    @Diamond: I'm talking about the physicsy volumetric fog shit that will swirl around your character when you move through it.  The PC version of Arkham Asylum was delayed because they were adding it exclusively to the PC version of the game (well, it was probably piracy, but the fog is the reason they gave).  My guess is you'll see that effect in PC Crysis 2 and not Console Crysis 2.  When it comes out, I'll go run down that street on PC, you do the same on console and then we can compare notes and decide I was right :)
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34  Edited By Geno

They changed the alien design to be more innovative, personally I think the aliens in Crysis 1 were more unique: 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Diamond
    @Three0neFive:  Alright, cool man.

@Jimbo:  Ahh, gotcha.  Yea, PhysX fog, big difference, I know exactly what you're talking about.  The reason they added that stuff is probably because Nvidia paid them, because then Nvidia can then sell newer cards with PhysX support.  I kinda doubt the game will have that unless they announced PhysX support when I wasn't paying attention.  Impossible to really see such an effect in a screenshot anyways.  Volumetric fog to me refers to the kind of fog Superman 64 on N64 had or the fog you'd see in Unreal 1, so I didn't think that's what you meant.

If I ever buy Crysis 2 it'll probably be on PC, unless they really mess up the performance on PC side.
    Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lawrens

Missing some distance blur and motion blur and blur on the guns and bloom to rival this generation.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By jakob187

Yep...looks like a shooting game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Linkyshinks said:
    " @zudthespud said:
    " Looks great. I look forward to 2014 when I will have a computer that can run it like this. "

Crysis 2 is coming to 360, PS3 and PC. "
    If it looks this good on consoles then I'll be astounded, but I don't think I'll buy it for the 360. I'd rather leave it a couple of years until it's in bargain bins and I can run it properly.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @bitcloud: Oh you again, ps3 fanboy who finally bought a real videocard. 28 frames is good btw, i'm suprised. Here is reference of crysis on very high that looks almost photorealistic instead of crysis 2 which looks like haze.   

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HitmanAgent47

@bitcloud: Don't blame me because I like my games near photorealistic instead of semi realistic art design and low rez textures. Crysis is my all time favorite game, crysis 2 is simply not a good looking game compared to crysis. I blame the console engine 3, I mean cryengine 3, it can't produce realistic graphics.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @bitcloud: Ppl complain when they aren't happy about something, not because they are seeking attention. Going from those screenshots I posted, to these posted by the op, is like crysis on very high, to low medium settings. It's like seeing your favorite game at half the graphics or less. You don't have to care what I think, most pc gamers cares about the graphics because it's downgraded for our version. Probally for you, you wouldn't understand because to you, it's an upgrade. Hoenstly I haven't talked to you for months, you haven't changed a bit. Lol. 

I've seen those videos, they don't mean much, the buildings and textures looks aweful.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @bitcloud: I did, those links shows really low rez buildings, console quality textures. Look at my link then, what the cryengine 2 is capable of, which is a pc exclusive engine only. I'm sure your impressed by it, since it's an upgrade, however for me, I could post cryengine 2's tech video which looks better.  
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG1ZUSCrgqM 

Look at the screenshots here, created with cryengine 2 and it's playable, way better than the cryengine 3 for buildings. I'm wasting my time talking to you, I need to sleep, instead of talk to nonsense. You speak to me with respect, just because your ignorant of how much of a downgrade console engine 3 is.  

http://madmaximus83.deviantart.com/gallery/?25304347#Videogame-Environments-Realtime-3D    
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Diamond said:
    " @Three0neFive:  Alright, cool man.

@Jimbo:  Ahh, gotcha.  Yea, PhysX fog, big difference, I know exactly what you're talking about.  The reason they added that stuff is probably because Nvidia paid them, because then Nvidia can then sell newer cards with PhysX support.  I kinda doubt the game will have that unless they announced PhysX support when I wasn't paying attention.  Impossible to really see such an effect in a screenshot anyways.  Volumetric fog to me refers to the kind of fog Superman 64 on N64 had or the fog you'd see in Unreal 1, so I didn't think that's what you meant.  If I ever buy Crysis 2 it'll probably be on PC, unless they really mess up the performance on PC side. "
    Volumetric fog is not a 1996 effect.  Pixel Fog layers (AKA Fogtables) are but they were never volumetric, rather they were planar by comparison.  I don't think you understand the term 'volumetric' - it refers to an entity/effect which has volume in 3D space (think a fish tank filled with smoke where said smoke will interact with the glass by bouncing off of it and not passing through it - the smoke in this instance fills and interacts with the volume capacity of the tank because it has calculated volume physics).  PhysX fog is just another form of volumetric lighting and CryEngine 2 and 3 both have an extremely capable and extensive volumetric lighting rig even without PhysX support.  It's how the touchlights and shadows through trees are achieved in Crysis.  Volumetric lighting isn't something which requires PhysX to work, even at high precision levels like those shown in Crysis and the STALKER games but PhysX driven volumetric fog in games like Arkham Asylum and Metro 2033 does look pretty good and isn't a CPU drain.

Anyway, if you're going to criticise other people's reactions to a screenshot I think you'd better know what you're talking about.  So consider this an information exchange. :P
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HitmanAgent47

@bitcloud: I don't hate consoles, I hate crytek for selling out and downgrading my game. We pc gamers had this as our exclusive. How would you feel if a game like killzone 2 went multiplatform and they downgraded the graphics by half? You would probally not be all that happy. I'm not trying to be an elitist, however if you played through crysis on a high rez monitor on very high, crysis 2 doesn't even look half as impressive. Maybe our graphical standards are different, don't blame it on me. Your hilarious btw, also crysis character models are better than anything crysis 2 can do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.