Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

As Nomad, an elite soldier outfitted in a state-of-the-art Nanosuit that gives him superhuman abilities, infiltrate a North Korean-held island to rescue captured scientists... and face a reawakening ancient evil that threatens the entire world. Crysis is well known for its high system requirements and top of the line graphics.

Does everyone (anyone) still think this is the greatest graphics?

• 163 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Personally, I definitely do! I mean, for starters, the graphics aren't what made me love Crysis as a whole once I finished it; couldn't even run it at full specs, try running at the lowest to make it run near 60 frames per second. Yeah, that's how bad it was for me, although, at its lowest, it's not bad at all. Anyways, back to the question. Do you think it's the best looking game to date? I think it's the Avatar of video games if you had to compare. Sometimes it makes me wonder how good the Avatar game would be if they had used the CryEngine.... Ok, not what I'm talking about. I thought I'd make this thread since I'm excited about the second coming out, and I was wondering if people still felt Crysis looked the best til' this day because so many other games have come out since.
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By zero_

Technically, maybe. But factoring in things like art design, animation etc. I think Uncharted 2 is the greatest looking game at the moment.

cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By cancerdancer
    @Zero_ said:
    " Technically, maybe. But factoring in things like art design, animation etc. I think Uncharted 2 is the greatest looking game at the moment. "
    This.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM
    @Zero_:
    :O...... Heck no. I mean, ok, Uncharted 2 does look amazing. The thing is though, Uncharted 2 doesn't have the greatest animations, nor does it have the best artistic value. Even if it is all together, it still doesn't make me say "wow" like Crysis does. The only time I felt like Uncharted 2 was all that amazing was the first few minutes playing it while you're hanging from the train. I wouldn't say you're wrong, I'm just saying I don't agree with you. Doesn't mean you're wrong though.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ryax

crysis looks like an 8bit game compared to uncharted 2. this thread is obsolete. 

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yinstarrunner

Yeah Crysis looks just incredible.  Every part of that game still makes my jaw drop everytime I play it.  From the jungle to the alien ship to the snowy wasteland.  I haven't seen a game that looks as good yet, and I probably won't until Crysis 2 comes out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM
    @Ryax said:
    "crysis looks like an 8bit game compared to uncharted 2. this thread is obsolete.  "

... Is that right? Ha ha. Mkay. It'd be nice if that was sarcasm. Is there really a bunch of people out there that have the view of Uncharted 2 being the best looking game to date?  

0.0 -shakes head- Alright.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM
    @yinstarrunner said:
    "Yeah Crysis looks just incredible.  Every part of that game still makes my jaw drop everytime I play it.  From the jungle to the alien ship to the snowy wasteland.  I haven't seen a game that looks as good yet, and I probably won't until Crysis 2 comes out. "

If only everyone could be able to run the game at its fullest it'd be clear that your point is true.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yeah.  That's all it has going for it though. 

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I know it isn't out yet, but I heard Rage's graphics and animations are off the chain. They used real life motion capture for the enemies and smoothed it out during development. It apparently is going to be running at 60 fps the whole time as well.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Gabriel
    @MAN_FLANNEL  

Heres to hoping with that writer they brought on board Crysis 2, will be a little more well rounded.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Zero_ said:
    " Technically, maybe. But factoring in things like art design, animation etc. I think Uncharted 2 is the greatest looking game at the moment. "
    true 

i mean yeah crysis has the best looking engine but the style of uncharted 2 is way better. 

imagine uncharted 2 in the cryengine...*drools*
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

I think so ya.  But Uncharted 2 is a close second.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo

Maybe, sure, but awesome graphics and great graphics don't matter much to me. As long as they fit what the game is all about. For instance, World of Warcraft still looks BETTER than Crysis because the art style is superior.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArcLyte

yes, even three years later, Crysis delivers an as-of-yet unparalleled level of graphical quality. not even MW2 or Mass Effect 2 can stack up against crysis as much as it pains me to say that.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM
    @Vinchenzo said:
    "Maybe, sure, but awesome graphics and great graphics don't matter much to me. As long as they fit what the game is all about. For instance, World of Warcraft still looks BETTER than Crysis because the art style is superior. "

I know what you're saying. And it's a respectable opinion.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM
    @Gabriel said:
    "@MAN_FLANNEL   Heres to hoping with that writer they brought on board Crysis 2, will be a little more well rounded. " 

Whaaaa? The story isn't that bad. I don't agree that it's the only thing it has going for it.

@Vinchenzo said:
    "Maybe, sure, but awesome graphics and great graphics don't matter much to me. As long as they fit what the game is all about. For instance, World of Warcraft still looks BETTER than Crysis because the art style is superior. "

Yeah, I definitely know what you're saying. That's a respectable opinion. Well, I personally wouldn't say I think WoW is better looking because of its art style. That doesn't matter though.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Geno

It has the best technical graphics but there are other games that beat it in artistic style easily. There are still others who offer a better balance between art and technical graphics (Mirror's Edge, Anno series etc). Also, Crysis even in a technical sense looks rather bad without mods and some config tweaking. 

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM
    @Geno said:
    "It has the best technical graphics but there are other games that beat it in artistic style easily. There are still others who offer a better balance between art and technical graphics (Mirror's Edge, Anno series etc). Also, Crysis even in a technical sense looks rather bad without mods and some config tweaking.  "

I installed some mods, there was one that just made it look grainy. I didn't really like it so I took it off. I'd like to check some other ones out but it's hard to tell which is really good or not. I never saw a point in checking again for graphics mods. Yeah though, I don't think Crysis has the best artistic graphics at all.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Crysis is the best looking game to date. For those who says art design, get real, art design is just a compensation for a lack of technical graphics. The ps2 needed more art design, same with the wii and current gen consoles are half art design, crysis is fully realistic and doesn't need that gimmick, of course it might with crysis 2, that's a sad looking game compared to crysis. In other words, fuck art design, I don't care for semi realistic trash that can't push crysis level graphics.

If anyone wants to challenge my statement I have a ton of crysis screenshots on very high to prove it. Only if it's ingame with a life bar and hud, no bullshots. I belive crysis's realism is difficult to achieve for other games, they have to gimmick their way through it with art design, their ingame screenshots is unimpressive and crysis looks impressive in motion and in still screenshots because it's not faking anything. It's really that good there are no smoke and mirrors.

Sure some might think I was wrong, every generation behind, it depends more and more on art design right? Well crysis is the only game that looks realistic besides modern wafare 2 which is sad compared to crysis.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Come one guys, get real. Crysis is still the most graphically intensive game to date.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Crysis is the best looking game to date. For those who says art design, get real, art design is just a compensation for a lack of technical graphics. The ps2 needed more art design, same with the wii and current gen consoles are half art design, crysis is fully realistic and doesn't need that gimmick, of course it might with crysis 2, that's a sad looking game compared to crysis. In other words, fuck art design, I don't care for semi realistic trash that can't push crysis level graphics.

If anyone wants to challenge my statement I have a ton of crysis screenshots on very high to prove it. Only if it's ingame with a life bar and hud, no bullshots. I belive crysis's realism is difficult to achieve for other games, they have to gimmick their way through it with art design, their ingame screenshots is unimpressive and crysis looks impressive in motion and in still screenshots because it's not faking anything. It's really that good there are no smoke and mirrors.

Sure some might think I was wrong, every generation behind, it depends more and more on art design right? Well crysis is the only game that looks realistic besides modern wafare 2 which is sad compared to crysis.

"

-nods- Yes. Ha ha ha. When I mean best graphics to date, I don't see how a game with high art value could beat out Crysis' technical stand-point.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Adamsons

Metro 2033 on a high end rig rivals it imo, the lighting is incredible.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meltac
    @Adamsons said:
    " Metro 2033 on a high end rig rivals it imo, the lighting is incredible. "
    True dat, that game looked fantastic, and it had so much personality, and atmosphere.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @Zero_ said:
    Agreed.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince

I never thought it had the greatest graphics. Technically it pushed everything, but it never looked lush and natural to me. A lot of the parts just didn't mesh and flow like something you would see in nature. In my opinion Uncharted 2 looks a lot more lush and natural. If you look at buildings you can see weeds growing out of cracks, and tree trunks sort of growing into ledges. It looked natural. I thought so anyways.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Not trying to start a systemwar, I just hate misceptions and I want to be very objective or at least very accurate for this post. Crysis has the most misconceptions and the thread is about crysis as having the best graphics. Uncharted 2 is always mentioned as the benchmark for console graphics, well sure why not it's a good looking game on consoles, so let's actually compare these games. Since there are misconceptions, it's better to deal with this now than later. I will only use ingame screenshots, not bullshots and see if the detail matches your perception. First of all I already know what ppl will tell you, crysis looks boring, wrong. You can't create this realistic graphics on consoles, not even crysis 2 can. Crysis has no art design, wrong, you don't need art design when you have realism, there is no room for art design which is compensation for a lack of realism and technical graphics. But the media sites tells you uncharted 2 is the best looking game, wrong, they refuse to acknowledge pc gaming exist and no exclusive will ever be acknowledged from the pc for it's graphics. Until crysis 2 is released then it will be mentioned even if it looks unimpressive to pc gamers right now. I have to sleep and read your comments or replies tommorrow. Still I own uncharted 2, I own crysis, I also post a ton of pc screenshots for the forum, I am aware of the graphics and can spot any flaws quickly in any game in motion or not.

I took all these screenshots myself, on their site, they don't have these screenshots, I took them from a 720p video then converted it to a png with a program because there were alot of bullshots, they have a hud. If you don't think it's sharp enough, feel free to photoshop it and sharpen it, it's not going to change how the game was designed. Even my crysis screenshots are X900 rez, it's suppose to be 1080p, whatever, most ppl won't be able to see it.

Console's benchmark

pc benchmark   

Even if you reply, you can't change my mind, clearly crysis looks more realistic, second the textures are better, third it doesn't need half art design. Crysis is a generation ahead, maybe it's better to compare that game to alan wake, crysis is out of your league unless you build a new rig and see it for yourself. If it looks that detailed for screenshots, imaging how realistic it is when you play it. Uncharted 2 looks good in motion, however those are what is really going on without the smoke and the mirrors. It's good by console standards, however these crysis screenshots speaks for themselves, it doesn't need a commentary, it's just if you disagree, you are wrong. Art design is just design, without it and the same technical graphics, it's not going to look as good. Crysis also shits on metro 2033 in terms of realism, sure that game looks good, however it's all indoors, it's dark and it's not realistic. Remember you can't change my mind because I don't art design and in the future of gaming, art design is going to get less and less when there is more and more technical graphics or realism. Look crysis looks better than all most cg movies in terms of realism, it's good enough, not even crytek can make another game that looks better, crysis warhead looks aweful compared to this game, textures are aweful and the levels are smaller and less realistic.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sjupp
    @cancerdancer said:
    " @Zero_ said:
    This. "
    This.
    droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By droop

HitmanAgent47, none of your screenshots do any of the games justice.. They're awfully compressed. Especially the Uncharted  2 ones. Looks like you took a picture of your TV.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Ryax said:
    " crysis looks like an 8bit game compared to uncharted 2. this thread is obsolete.  "
    You're such a poor troll.  8 Bit is hella cool. Try again.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By EVO
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "art design is just a compensation for a lack of technical graphics. The ps2 needed more art design, same with the wii and current gen consoles are half art design, crysis is fully realistic and doesn't need that gimmick, of course it might with crysis 2, that's a sad looking game compared to crysis. In other words, fuck art design, I don't care for semi realistic trash that can't push crysis level graphics."
    This is, like, How is babby formed level stupid. You can't possibly be serious.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @EVO: by the time the ps4 is out, you will see less and less art design and more technical graphics. See i'm not a monster, i'm just ahead of the curve. It's you ppl who are limited in your insight, not me, i'm not fooled that easily. Honesty my screenshots speaks for themselves, if you think anything other than crysis looks the best, your a fanboy or anti pc. When crysis 2 is out on consoles, then reviewers will give it credit, even if it's like crysis on medium settings, it will be the new benchmark for consoles.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ryax
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " crysis looks like an 8bit game compared to uncharted 2. this thread is obsolete.  "
    You're such a poor troll.  8 Bit is hella cool. Try again. "
    dont get me wrong. i love 8 bit. and 16 bit. i just think uncharted 2 looks alot better than crysis
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Ryax said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Ryax said:
    You're such a poor troll.  8 Bit is hella cool. Try again. "
    dont get me wrong. i love 8 bit. and 16 bit. i just think uncharted 2 looks alot better than crysis "
    Well that's cool.  Tehnically CryEngine 2 flattens Uncharted 2.  It handles much bigger environments with much higher levels of precision and a great number of realistic and surrealistic effects going off at once.  Design wise, Uncharted 2 has a great look for sure and some of what it does, it does extremely well, such as deferred lighting, high resolution bump mapping and sterling blended animation morphs.  That said it just cannot compete with Crysis' attention to detail on any level and especially when compared at the same resolution.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoLines
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @EVO: by the time the ps4 is out, you will see less and less art design and more technical graphics. See i'm not a monster, i'm just ahead of the curve. It's you ppl who are limited in your insight, not me, i'm not fooled that easily. Honesty my screenshots speaks for themselves, if you think anything other than crysis looks the best, your a fanboy or anti pc. When crysis 2 is out on consoles, then reviewers will give it credit, even if it's like crysis on medium settings, it will be the new benchmark for consoles. "
    Well.. I like the cartoonish/artistic graphics of Okami or Shadow of The Colossus way more than Cysis.
    And I'm a fan of PC gaming, and I like Crysis. The graphics may get better with time, but that doesn't mean the artistic design won't matter.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By sagesebas

I've haven't played Metal Gear Solid 4 but I have heard how much giantbomb raves about it and I've seen videos of it, how do you think this game compares to crysis?

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

It's the best looking game I've played, but I've only played the PS3 kiosks at Walmart and the like, so it's not really fair to pass judgement for me.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By krazy_kyle

I think the graphics are very nice, however it isn't the most efficient engine, in that it demands high end hardware to run at 60fps
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryanwho

Other games have better art direction. Still though, there is no contest from a technical standpoint. No offense to people who think Uncharted 2 is technically more impressive but your computer probably doesn't even have a resolution setting high enough to see a fully upscaled Crysis 2 screeny without using your scroll bar. If you're comparing youtube videos, its very cute and all but you're doing it wrong.

DEllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DEllen
    @HitmanAgent47:  People enjoy games even if they are not realistic. Art design isn't a compensation for lack of technical "graphics". I enjoy games like TF2 which has a clear art style. If that game had been in ultra-realistic graphics I don't think it would be what it is today. It's two styles of thought. Realism is cool, it's great for getting some good atmospheres but if a game wants to be lighter or funnier or have a different vibe then realism can hinder that quite a lot of the time. Art design will not become obselete but you are right in that some games will begin to use it less as technology gets better.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Adamsons
    @krazy_kyle said:
    " I think the graphics are very nice, however it isn't the most efficient engine, in that it demands high end hardware to run at 60fps "
    This is way more to do with the level design, the multilayer levels of Crysis run MUCH better than the SP levels even though both being comparable sizes. Its the same for the aircraft carrier level in that it still looks awesome but runs much better indoors.

The game would have probably been received better and run better at the time if the levels were (not corridor shooter style) but less needlessly expansive and more streamlined.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EVO
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @EVO: by the time the ps4 is out, you will see less and less art design and more technical graphics. See i'm not a monster, i'm just ahead of the curve. It's you ppl who are limited in your insight, not me, i'm not fooled that easily. Honesty my screenshots speaks for themselves, if you think anything other than crysis looks the best, your a fanboy or anti pc. When crysis 2 is out on consoles, then reviewers will give it credit, even if it's like crysis on medium settings, it will be the new benchmark for consoles. "

You've gotta be fucking kidding me. Art design just doesn't magically disappear as technology improves. If it did why do we still see games like, say, Braid? Even your precious Crysis has an art style: realism.

And besides, "looks" all comes down to opinion anyway. You'd be incredibly naive to think that anyone who thinks another game looks better is a "fanboy or anti pc". Sure, technically it's years ahead of it's time. But eventually it will look dated whereas games like Rez look timeless thanks not to their technical prowess, but their art design.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EVO
    @defaulttag:  Did you really need to quote those images?
    Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Clembo

It has the best graphics, still.  It's undeniable.  Yep.  Next best graphics award goes to Crysis 2.

It's a shame it is only noted for it's graphics by fanboys from all sides cus it's actually a really good game.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

The gameplay is okay. Like, TimeShift okay. Dark Sector okay. If it didn't have the graphics it does it would be known for nothing.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dipstick

Sad that people still think art design doesn't matter.  

When graphics reach their peak,you'll be dying for a good art design. My PC is certainly capable of running Crysis on high and whatnot but I drool every time I boot up TF2,the art design is miles ahead of most games out now.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47  Edited By Geno

I agree that art design is another important factor in aesthetics, but in Crysis's defense, its art can't be said to be "bad". Has anyone here played the Core level? There you go. 

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By unclejohnny79

Technically speaking yes, but i have played other games that were more visually pleasing

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

But guess what they took out for "Warhead" … People just wanted to look at palm trees 24/7 and murder the same four Koreans over and over again, I guess. Me, I thought the "core" part looked breathtaking compared to the boring island.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By lightsoda

Clearly Crysis can't be de-throned right now when it comes to realism, but I still hold the Metroid Prime series closest to my heart when it comes to design and art direction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.