Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Dan Ryckert's Top 10 Games of 2015

• 187 results
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Mario Maker getting #1 over MGSV wasn't that much of a surprise, but I still didn't expect it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People forget that dan put in the most time and gave the best shot to witcher 3 than anyone else on the staff. But obviously his opinion means crap.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is this week going to just be people bitching non-stop at Witcher not being higher on people's lists?

Avatar image for shoguns_decapitator
    Shoguns_Decapitator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224 said:

So is this week going to just be people bitching non-stop at Witcher not being higher on people's lists?

And people bitching about Life is Strange, Undertale, Bloodborne, everyone's personal GOTY not being higher...

People seemingly struggle to accept what a personal GOTY list is.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

Ok, if Dan has put Mario at Number 1 rather than MGSV that kind of clinches it for Mario Maker to win GOTY overall I feel. I'm personally completely ambivalent about that (I have zero historical affinity for Mario as I didn't grow up with him).

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

@marokai said:
    @milkman said:

This pretty much confirms to me that Super Mario Maker is gonna be the site's GOTY.

Agreed.

Ehhhh, don't be so sure. You could have easily said the same thing the year Saint's Row 3 was robbed and that broken piece of shit Skyrim won.

But yeah, hopefully this is where we're headed. "SUPAH MARIO NUMVAH ONE, METAL GEARH, HACK-TWWWH!!"

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

@mostman said:

However. Placing Fallout 4 above Witcher is just incorrect. These are both games that are essentially in the same genre. So it's not like saying "Hey I don't like these types of games," which is defensible.

Being in the same genre is only a small part of comparing the games IMO, especially as this is a personal GotY list. Other elements, such as setting, also play a large role in determining if you like a game or not. I'd say that, for example, Skyrim and Fallout 3 are much closer to being the same genre than Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3. However, I instantly loved FO3 (beat the game in about 40 hours, over the course of about a week), but I've start Skyrim a couple of time and just can't really get into it - the setting just doesn't interest me as much.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

You're awesome Dan thanks for doing everything you do brother.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

Can you imagine an internet with 100 comments repeating "Interesting list Dan, my choices are different because clearly we are different people. Nobody asked me however, so I'll shut up now."

No, the internet is fucking savage. The internet shits on middling-ocrity. The internet says my soapbox is as big as my comment box AND my dick, and if people are agreeing with my opinion they are by proxy impressed with my epeen.

#Fallout4GOTY

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By GiantLizardKing
    @honkwas said:

He lives in Lenexa, Kansas with his wife and three children.

Never knew Dan had a secret family back home.

Impossible, I work in Lenexa and have never even seen Dan at the local Taco Bell.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting list Dan, my choices are different because clearly we are different people. Nobody asked me however, so I'll shut up now.

Kibles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My ambivalence towards Mario continues to make me sad that this game that everyone else hails as one of the best of all time is just a piece of burning shit for me.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wish Dan had ordered the list in the order i wanted the games to be in.

speaking of hilarious things that note about the young youtuber gave me a big grin.

Avatar image for shoguns_decapitator
    Shoguns_Decapitator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you imagine an internet with 100 comments repeating "Interesting list Dan, my choices are different because clearly we are different people. Nobody asked me however, so I'll shut up now."

No, the internet is fucking savage. The internet shits on middling-ocrity. The internet says my soapbox is as big as my comment box AND my dick, and if people are agreeing with my opinion they are by proxy impressed with my epeen.

#Fallout4GOTY

Nice bait, 8/8 m8.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think that just about seals it up for the overall staff #1 pick. I only thought that MGSV might take the top slot if Dan ranked it as his number one.

edmundus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interesting list, and I respect Dan's thoughts on Witcher 3. It's cool that he put 50 hours into the game to give it a solid chance.

Also, I'm very curious how long it'll take for Patrick to beat Armageddan.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Completely agree with Dan on Witcher 3. I could write a really long critique on everything that game did wrong. Scary to think how much praise it gotten..ugh. However MGS is way too high for my liking, but Dan is a blind fanboy of the series.

Please start :) ... the game had hands down the best storyline/quests in and RPG at least this year. It was really really good looking, had great music and voice acting, great combat and was actually a deep RPG. I understand when it comes to games (or music or movies or books) there is always a factor of personal preference, but at some point you can point at something and say: "This is a very well made game even though it's not for me"

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's fine you didnt like the game. But "I could write a really long list ..." sounds a bit like hyperbole to me.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Good list, I like Rocket League being fairly high up!

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#121  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

This list is 100% pure Dan Ryckert although it does have a few unexpected games like Undertale.

dougfunk15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By dougfunk15

Accurate feedback. Putting Grow Home with it's garbage Octodad/Surgeon Simulator like controls and Fallout 4 which has even less "important stuff to do" than Witcher 3 over it is dumb. Most of his Mario Maker fun comes from being able to watch patrick and others play it on You Tube. 99% of players don't have that luxury. Also, Playstation Plus games are not and never will be "free."

@sessh said:

The Witcher 3 not even on the list (unsurprising) and no mention of all the online shit that pretty much ruins MGS V kinda make me dislike this list a bit.

Honestly I don't care about Dan not liking TW3, (even though I personally love it, but opinions/personal preference and such obviously), but at least give some mention about MGS V being a total mess if not playing offline. (It's a great game and it being in 2nd place is perfectly fine. It's 3rd on mine.)

I hope this at least came up in the site's Top 10 collaborations on the podcast.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#123  Edited By NeverGameOver

Could be wrong but I still don't think SMM is going to win GOTY. Jeff and Dan are its biggest proponents and each will list MGSV (with Dan only having it 1 spot ahead). And Dan aside, I will be surprised if MGS's biggest proponents (Jason and Brad) list SMM at all. Drew also has SMM one spot ahead and I haven't heard anything from GBeast to know whether they have a dog in the fight. Also, doesn't Brad always win these arguments?

a_randay92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#125  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@nevergameover said:

Could be wrong but I still don't think SMM is going to win GOTY. Jeff and Dan are its biggest proponents and each will list MGSV (with Dan only having it 1 spot ahead). And Dan aside, I will be surprised if MGS's biggest proponents (Jason and Brad) list SMM at all. Drew also has SMM one spot ahead and I haven't heard anything from GBeast to know whether they have a dog in the fight.

This is where my math is right now. I'm not sure a few of the guys care about SMM really at all but it will depend on if they appreciate the love other guys have for it and how big it's been on the site this year.

A lot of times it's the common ground game that wins even if a couple of the guys really love one game (SR The Third is the old example that always comes up. People act like it was just Brad but the thing was other people didn't love SR as much as they liked Skyrim so Skyrim won).

a_randay92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet said:

@danryckert, trying not to sound like an annoying dork, you should at some point go get that second ending in Undertale. When you have time I mean. It's worth it.

Good list, glad to see Mario Maker take the top.

Totally agree with the sentiment about Undertale. Everyone should experience those other endings because they are so perfect. <3

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear is my #1 this year and I'm not a Metal Gear fan. Actually, I actively dislike Metal Gear fans due to their arrogant adherence to conspiracy theories and insistence that Metal Gear Solid's story is "intelligent". Metal Gear Solid 5 is top of my list because the gameplay is excellent. It's fun, it's wacky in the right way, it's versatile. And people on Giant Bomb go over-the-top in their hatred of the online aspects of the game. It's really not the trainwreck people on this site like to make it out to be.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I can't see that happening, MGS5 is my goty but it has too much against it to win for GB. The micro trans sure but if Dan is out I can't see anyone but maybe Brad seriously going to bat for MGS5. Considering how old everyone is on staff they'll have a soft spot for Mario Maker even if they didn't play a lot, so I'd see a couple people just lean in that direction when the fight gets serious.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any list that doesn't have W3 is questionable tbh, but it's a hell of a thing that Mgs5 didn't take number 1 for Dan. In the short time since release its amazing how public opinion has rightfully wilted it's rose. Good gameplay but an abysmal narrative failure.

Hooogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're awesome Dan thanks for doing everything you do brother.

I want to second this motion! Keep up the love and work Dan!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@larmer: that's internet backlashes for you

(Except life is strange. Life is strange is perfect obv.)

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be wrong but I still don't think SMM is going to win GOTY. Jeff and Dan are its biggest proponents and each will list MGSV (with Dan only having it 1 spot ahead). And Dan aside, I will be surprised if MGS's biggest proponents (Jason and Brad) list SMM at all. Drew also has SMM one spot ahead and I haven't heard anything from GBeast to know whether they have a dog in the fight. Also, doesn't Brad always win these arguments?

Alex didn't play it, Vinny quit after Act 1 and I think Austin beat it? It would assume it's on his list but I doubt it's very high.

Techh10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Techh10

wow, just cause 3 didnt even make it into the honorable mentions...damn

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Splatoon really is Nintendo's shining star of 2015. Finally a new franchise and a superb one at that with endless possibilities. Listening to Jeff praise Mario Maker to high heaven on day 1 of the GotY podcasts was like hearing him say all the right things about the wrong game.

The future is not about Mario, the future is about Staying Fresh.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He lives in Lenexa, Kansas with his wife and three children

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm seeing Mario Maker winning GB's GoTY. I thought Dan would have been in the Metal Gear camp but never mind. Jeff and Dan would be heavy supporters for Mario Maker

mitchuation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By mitchuation

This is a very good list

decku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

never tought somebody would call the witcher games unchallenging gameplay,dan must really be good at games, mario maker is really cool ,its a shame its not a game,but a level creator that should be included many games ago...

doomsder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright that pretty much confirmed my suspicion. Super Mario Maker will be Giant Bombs Game of the Year pick.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By archer88

@asilentprotagonist said:

Completely agree with Dan on Witcher 3. I could write a really long critique on everything that game did wrong. Scary to think how much praise it gotten..ugh. However MGS is way too high for my liking, but Dan is a blind fanboy of the series.

Please start :) ... the game had hands down the best storyline/quests in and RPG at least this year. It was really really good looking, had great music and voice acting, great combat and was actually a deep RPG.

I think this is what a lot of people will criticize The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for, which I don't really understand. Clearly they didn't play at an appropriate difficulty level. Blood and Broken Bones or Death March actually makes signs, alchemy and combat prep necessary for you to excel. With those elements thrown into the mix I don't see how anyone could argue that it is boring and one dimensional. If I played every game on easy so I didn't have to use more advanced mechanics I might call them boring too.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By hippie_genocide

I love the inane ramblings of butthurt Witcher 3 fans. How dare anyone not love what you love? Please, keep them coming.

decku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

all i see is a healthy discussion about video games...

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By TreeTrunk

Nice to see Undertale. Good list

Lando81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

jejoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely blown away by all the furor of W3 fans coming out of the woodwork. That game landed right where it should have on this list.

thewalkingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher series has never been particularly challenging even on the highest difficulty settings. Don't see why everyone's upset about Dan speaking the truth especially when he admits to having enjoyed the game for about 50+ hours before he got bored of it.

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Takoyaki

MGSV is probably my second favourite MGS game, only being beaten by MGS3. I agree that the other games offered much more in terms of story, but I still think MGSV had some amazing moments, like the hospital missions, the Venom Snake reveal and the "you're all diamonds". The unfinished business at the end was a bummer, but I was having so much fun with the game that it didn't really bother me.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can anyone be upset about this dude's personal opinion? It's like people don't know Dan Ryckert and what kind of games he likes. MGS V could win the best story of 2015 if you let only Dan decide, I mean come on guys one man's trash is another man's gold.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@archer88: I don't think the combat is boring or one dimensional, but I do think it feels really bad. The movement and the timing just feel off to me - even post-patch - and to many others. Changing the difficulty won't correct that. I don't engage with The Witcher 3's systems because I don't want to engage with them. If the basis of the combat does not feel good to me, why would I want to go further with it? Many on the bombcast crew had similar sentiment towards it. It's not a case of "changing the difficulty" or "not playing right", it is a case of not liking how it plays on the ground level.

I'm not gonna go further explaining why I'm not a fan of The Witcher, I still think it is a great game but as I ranked my games of the year it ended up being number 16. I have finished the game and still feel confident about my choice. I understand that many love it and for good reasons, but there is also plenty of reason to not like the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
    deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right there with ya on pretty much all of this. I'd put Rocket League at #2, and I'd keep Super Mario Maker right there in the #1 spot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.