Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

Impressions so far

Avatar image for electricboogaloo
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

Just defeated the first boss. So far combat is a little basic, but I'm only 40 minutes in and the upgrade tree looks fairly extensive; plenty of extra moves to unlock with both the scythe and Holy Cross. It plays very much like GOW but that isn't exactly a bad thing, and the art design is pretty cool. It takes what Dante Alighieri wrote in The Divine Comedy and brings it to life in as much gory detail as possible. I also like the fact that it recites entries from the poem when you enter new areas, which is a nice touch.

I know it's received a lot of bad press for either the subject matter or that it's way too much like GOW, but The Divine Comedy's vivid depiction of Hell and each Circle seems perfect for a video game, and imo there's nothing wrong with games borrowing ideas. Just look at something like Darksiders and the relevance that has to Zelda. Might not be the best game, but if you've never owned a Sony system and don't have a PS3 now then this is probably a great alternative to GOW since there aren't many other games like it. I'll reserve judgement till I've played more, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

How do you have it already? I thought it comes out on the 9th of February.

ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo
    @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " How do you have it already? I thought it comes out on the 9th of February. "
    Comes out tomorrow in Europe and I always get my games a day early.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By FunExplosions
    @ElectricBoogaloo said:
    " @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    Comes out tomorrow in Europe and I always get my games a day early. "
    But how? And the game looks ridiiiiculously fun in my opinion.
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @ElectricBoogaloo said:
    " @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    Comes out tomorrow in Europe and I always get my games a day early. "
    But how? And the game looks ridiiiiculously fun in my opinion. "
    Place I order from always get them out to people a day early. Most other online shops do as well.
    Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Ujio

The game had great momentum going until the "Fraud" circle. Then it just turns into a bunch of silly challenges you have to complete. That was the worst circle, IMO. Kinda like the devs just gave up and said, "Fuck it! Make it one big challenge level! That'll be fun! Har har!" Not.

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Maclintok

I am working through Anger and am starting to enjoy the game again.  I really did not like the Greed stage.  The puzzles there were tedious or convoluted and there seemed too to be too much focus on jumping challenges.  The end section of Greed was actually quite cathartic and nearly made up for the pain I endured earlier. 

Contrary to the reviews, the upgrades actually do help in combat. Mashing X or Y yields diminishing returns since the enemies are custom-made to combat those simple techniques later on.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By amir90
    @Ujio said:

" The game had great momentum going until the "Fraud" circle. Then it just turns into a bunch of silly challenges you have to complete. That was the worst circle, IMO. Kinda like the devs just gave up and said, "Fuck it! Make it one big challenge level! That'll be fun! Har har!" Not. "

I agree.

THis circle could have been done differently!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.