Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

This game melds elements from all previous Souls games and concludes the Dark Souls trilogy.

Are the frequent Souls releases weaking your enthusiasm?

• 86 results
    viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Edited By viking_funeral

Poll Are the frequent Souls releases weaking your enthusiasm? (458 votes)

Nope. Keep 'em coming. 60%
    I'm not as enthused as I once was. 40%

DAE too many Souls?!

Sorry, couldn't help it. For the last two Souls games (Dark Souls II & Bloodborne) I couldn't help myself from getting hyped before their releases. With the latest release however, I almost forgot it was coming out this year. While I will certainly play it I am not feeling nearly as excited or as restless for the game to come out.

If you look at the release dates, this will be the third Souls game in 3 years:

• 2016 - Dark Souls III
    • 2015 - Bloodborne
    • 2014 - Dark Souls II

So I'm curious how others feel. I'm not trying to evangelize, so if you are still genuinely excited, great! I don't mind being an outlier. I just want some delicious data.

• 
    RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By RonGalaxy

This isn't like Assassin's creed or CoD. There aren't any other games quite like these games, and the ones that have tried have failed. Until we're seeing multiple games like this get released every year, I don't see the formula wearing out that fast.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Given the quality of Bloodborne then nope, they seem to be doing fine.

We'll have to see how 3 turns out to see if it's sustainable at this rate.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I played every Souls game over the span of a year and a half. Keep em coming.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Nothing will capture the same enthusiasm like Dark Souls 1 did. I loved Demon Souls and was hoping it would get some sort of sequel. Either way, the world of Dark Souls is also really interesting to me, and their method of story telling isn't used in a lot of other games. So despite the combat being similar I'm looking forward to being in that world and finding its secrets.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Said it before and I'll say it again: From made 15 Armored Core games in an 18 year period. They will run this series into the ground and you will beg them to stop. But they won't because people will keep buying them and they have literally no other ideas except "Mechs?".

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Keep'em coming I think.

I think I remember writing this in a thread just like this one for DS2 or Bloodborne or something.

I typically play the games through to the end and thats about it. I may dabble into a NG+ immediately afterwards.. Just kinda impress myself as how much I've improved as a player and can now whip through all those seemingly impossible bosses. But once I'm bored, I don't really return to it. There are just so many other games out there to play.

This gives me breathing room between games. I try not to look up anything about them before release. I wasn't going to watch the DS3 opening thing but then I did because whatever.. Didn't really make me more hyped for the game. They are what they are and there isn't really anything that provides the gameplay style or, more importantly, the incredible art design.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep them coming as long as they're excellent. I'm hoping since this is the last Souls game that it's outstanding. Miyazaki returning to Dark Souls is extremely exciting considering the things I don't like he did with Bloodborne.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'm not super excited for Dark Souls 3 but I'll still most likely pick it up if it gets good reviews. I still am more excited for whatever the Bloodborne team does next, since I actually really liked it a lot.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No, because I didn't play the first two for more than an hour at a friend's house, dabbled in DSII for 20 hours to see what all the fuss was about, and fell in love with Bloodborne.

So I only played 1.5 games from From (excluding all those Armored Cores). Give me all the Dark Souls III.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By NeverGameOver

I don't agree that there have been frequent Souls releases because Bloodborne isn't a Souls game. Also, I didn't like it nearly as much as Demons's, DS1 or DS2. Played through it once and may never return.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @marco724 said:

@humanity: Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the shard system over the estus flask system?

I think it's more balanced. I don't disagree that when you do have to farm some vials because you've hit a wall against a boss the act of farming them out can be off-putting. For the most part though you get enough from simply playing the game and the bit of time you spend farming/buying is a chance to clear your head and stretch your muscles so to speak on regular mobs. With the Estus I feel like the game wastes too much of your time in the beginning by forcing you to return to the bonfire once you've depleted your capacity to heal - something that happens often and fairly easily when your health is still really low. You are basically required to do a perfect run all the way to the boss when you only have 1 chug or be forced to take the boss on with half health and no heals. That system forces you to turn back the moment you deplete the estus because there simply is no other way to regain health. Vials are both more plentiful and there is always a chance that simple mobs will drop more. One bad dodge will not result in having to retrace your steps and respawn all the enemies in order to top up again because the very same enemy that got the drop on you might also drop a heal and let you continue on your way unaffected.

Once you upgrade the estus flask this becomes less of an issue but in the beginning it's too severe in my opinion, which is why I prefer farmable healing items. Dark Souls 2 introduced the healing crystals which were a good little pick-me-up in the early portions of the game when your health was low.

Your reasoning is the exact reason why I prefer Estus. With Estus you have to pick your moments for healing, you have to optimize your play and master each section as well as optimize when you heal to get the most benefit from the Estus heal. I'm not sure I understand the 'retracing back to the bonfire to replenish your Estus' argument because in Souls 1 you can kindle bonfires and 10 Estus is more than enough and in my mind too many Estus flasks for the distances you have to travel from bonfire to bonfire. It gets even crazier if you have the Right of Kindling to get 20 Estus which is just obscene.

I found grass to trivialize Demons Souls to the point where I don't think anything in that game was imposing or scary to me because of the abundance of grass. Bloodborne less so because Vials were % capped and the enemies generally just hit a lot harder and faster but with how fast it healed you could really rely on just dashing away and spam healing as a crutch.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

glad someone else is asking this, i think the series as a whole gets a bit too much of a free pass.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#63  Edited By bassguy

On one hand, there's a certain appeal to having FEWER Souls games on the market.

On the other, relatively frequent Souls games means fans of the genre can enjoy them and/or burn out on the concept instead of insisting that every other video game should be like Dark Souls.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#64  Edited By Justin258

@humanity said:
    @marco724 said:

@humanity: Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the shard system over the estus flask system?

I think it's more balanced. I don't disagree that when you do have to farm some vials because you've hit a wall against a boss the act of farming them out can be off-putting. For the most part though you get enough from simply playing the game and the bit of time you spend farming/buying is a chance to clear your head and stretch your muscles so to speak on regular mobs. With the Estus I feel like the game wastes too much of your time in the beginning by forcing you to return to the bonfire once you've depleted your capacity to heal - something that happens often and fairly easily when your health is still really low. You are basically required to do a perfect run all the way to the boss when you only have 1 chug or be forced to take the boss on with half health and no heals. That system forces you to turn back the moment you deplete the estus because there simply is no other way to regain health. Vials are both more plentiful and there is always a chance that simple mobs will drop more. One bad dodge will not result in having to retrace your steps and respawn all the enemies in order to top up again because the very same enemy that got the drop on you might also drop a heal and let you continue on your way unaffected.

Once you upgrade the estus flask this becomes less of an issue but in the beginning it's too severe in my opinion, which is why I prefer farmable healing items. Dark Souls 2 introduced the healing crystals which were a good little pick-me-up in the early portions of the game when your health was low.

This is purely a matter of subjectivity, but one of the things I really disliked about Demon's Souls and something I don't really look forward to when I get to play Bloodborne is farming for healing items. I was pretty surprised when I first read that someone dislikes the Estus flasks, I felt like those were a fantastic solution to an annoying problem. Seems like, for you, there were an annoying solution to a nonexistent problem.

I think Dark Souls 2 strikes the best balance between healing items and Estus flasks. You don't actually get many Estus flasks, so it's best to stick to a hard rule of only using those for bosses. You can talk to the old lady in Forest of Fallen Giants a few times and then she moves to Majula and you can buy unlimited life gems from her. I would level up and then spend any extra souls I had on life gems and I wound up having a steady supply of them throughout almost the entire game.

Also, it's worth noting that in Dark Souls I, you don't really need ten Estus flasks until at least the Bell Gargoyles and they're not too far from Firelink Shrine, which gives you ten Estus flasks without ever having to kindle it. Kindling is also something you can do almost from the beginning as well, without much consequence. You don't even get ten Estus flasks in Dark Souls II until you're getting close to the end.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Keep em coming! Just finished Demon's Souls and I want more. Still need to play Bloodborne, but I don't have a PS4 yet.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I jumped on the train with Bloodborne so right now I'm just glad I get to play a Dark Souls game this year! As from what I understand they differ in a few ways.

serius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ready for it, been looking forward to it since Bloodborne came out. I realise its considered a souls game by many, but in my mind they are still separate things so for me the last souls game was DS2.

thavralex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By thavralex

@planetfunksquad said:

Said it before and I'll say it again: From made 15 Armored Core games in an 18 year period. They will run this series into the ground and you will beg them to stop. But they won't because people will keep buying them and they have literally no other ideas except "Mechs?".

They have said that DS3 will be the last one. Now, we don't know if that will stay true, there's good reason to doubt it ($$$). But Miyazaki has at least said that they want to "aggressively make new things in the future". And it does feel like From is a very different studio now, post-Souls success, compared to the one that pumped out Armored Core.

It would be sad if DS3 was truly the last though. I think the optimum might be to make one every couple of years (4-5~), and other games in between. But all this remains to be seen.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only ever played Dark Souls 1 on 360 and PC so I'd say no. I never bothered and doubt I ever will give DS2 a chance since everyone seems to dislike it. DS3 will be my second Souls game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I finish Demons Souls before April, I'll have beaten all of them within the space of 12 months. I was going to hold off til Dark Souls 3 but all it takes is for me to see a stream and think, "I should play that."

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rotnac: People are wrong Dark Souls 2 is a great game. I like it better than Bloodborne.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want CyberPunk Souls. Make it happen From.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still enthused. Two years between Dark Souls games isn't that short to me, as long as the end result remains consistently high.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kuzune: I believe him when he says Dark Souls 3 will be the last Dark Souls game. I do not believe it will be the last game in the Souls series. I'm expecting the same core gameplay in different settings with slight tweaks under a different name, like Bloodborne, to come out of that studio for the foreseeable future.

I mean I hope I'm wrong. Really. I just cant see them dropping the most successful series they've ever had. All I can see in my head is them sitting in a meeting room, scratching their heads, trying to come up with a new game idea, when someone pipes up with "Dark Souls but mechs??". I hope I'm wrong.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm not super excited for Dark Souls 3 but I'll still most likely pick it up if it gets good reviews. I still am more excited for whatever the Bloodborne team does next, since I actually really liked it a lot.

Miyazaki is the guy who created the whole Souls line, and the only game he didn't direct was Dark Souls II. That's because he was busy making Bloodborne. There's no guarantee that Dark Souls III will be more of Bloodborne, but it will be developed by a lot of the same people, and already it's looking like it will have influences from Bloodborne.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nope! I really dislike Bloodborne and think it's the worst Souls game by far, so I'm absolutely ready for Dark Souls III in April.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By optimalpower

I wish From would do something else. Even the game without the word 'Souls' in it might as well be a 'Souls' game.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By two_socks

I would say I'm less enthused about the series as it goes on, but then I haven't been excited for one since Dark Souls. I've not even played DS2 or Bloodborne. The only one I really liked was Demon's Souls. Maybe the series was never for me!

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didnt play Bloodborne so Im absolutely down for more Souls. If anything I might play through 2 again before 3 comes out.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played Bloodborne or Dark Souls II, so I'm ready for some more Souls.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While it didn't reach the heights of Demons Souls or Dark Souls I liked DS2 more than most people it seems, I don't have a PS4 so I skipped bloodborne completely so I'm just about ready for a new game

BoneChompski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS1 was a great game, Dark Souls 2 was a great game and it feels like forever since I burned out both those games. Dark Souls 3 can't come soon enough and I am also excited to see what story they decide to tell in Dark Souls 4 (or whatever they decide to call the new direction).

Naive_Appeaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Putting huge amounts of time into Bloodborne and the Scholar version of DS2 recently has me fatigued. I planned on getting this day 1 but now I might just wait for a GOTY edition of the game or something.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By NeverGameOver

Assuming that they were up to Souls par (which I think all of the actual Souls games -- read NOT bloodborne -- were) then they could literally make a Souls game every 6 months and I would buy, platinum, and play PvP on every single one until the next one was released. I don't really play FPS so for me, Souls is my CoD. I will play them repeatedly, regardless of the frequency of release, but new content is certainly welcome.

PS. Long live Potato Marshal!

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By NeverGameOver

@rotnac said:

I've only ever played Dark Souls 1 on 360 and PC so I'd say no. I never bothered and doubt I ever will give DS2 a chance since everyone seems to dislike it. DS3 will be my second Souls game.

"Everyone" is wrong. I love them all but SOTFS features the best gameplay (especially PvP) in the series and it's seriously not close. It lacks on the lore front and the world design isn't as good, but the actual nuts and bolts are significantly better than anything similar that I've ever played.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All four of them finished inside 12 months. Ready for more. I think its just the lure of the new and unseen which pulls me in. I flew through Demon's Souls and that game felt the most memorable of the series. That said, this six week break should do me some good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.