Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Blight town is the ****ing worst thing ever

• 122 results
    morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By morosemode

Seriously - fuck Blighttown. I spent most of yesterday going through it and hated every second. 

- Narrow walkways that you inevitably fall/jump/roll off of 
    - Snipers that toxin you before you even realise 
    - Almost all enemies can poison you 
    - Ground level is one giant poison swamp 
    - Framerate issues

That area was not fun at all, and it comes off the back of a sewer area which was much less miserable in comparison.
    Xtophre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Xtophre

Just killed the Gaping Dragon, got the key and headed to blighttown.

The Framerate in Blight town as you start to get near it drops to almost single digits. The Ogres that you first meet apparently have 3 to 4 times range on their clubs because they hit you from so far away. 

One rushes and hits me and knocks me off "bridge". I make it back and attempt to fight the ogre again.
    The ogres can see you from miles away so as you enter the area, they are already coming for you. I run back to the Ladder and fire magic arrows from the top. I move close so that my magic doesn't trail off randomly due to badly coded pathing... I end up falling to death instead because apparently falliing down onto the platforms will clip you through them instead of land on top of them. 

Horrible frame rate and clipping through platforms, lost 15 humanity and over 35000 souls( I should have spent the souls...).
    Thanks blight town, I was almost starting to have fun and enjoy the game. 

I know the game is meant to be hard and kills you in cheap ways, but this is taking it a bit far.

Avatar image for generalmojo_786
    GeneralMojo_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By GeneralMojo_786

LOL blightown for me was long not hard and the poison did bother me a bit, wait till you get to sens fortress.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Benny

You can avoid the poison if you stick to walls and solid ground where you're not actually in the water. Don't really see what the fuss is about.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By StrikeALight

Blighttown is so disorientating because of the vertical design and the atrocious FPS. Target lock and 10FPS made me fall off countless ledges. Those rickety bridges were way cool, though.

Stock up on purple and blooming purple moss, and things become much more manageable. Equipping the shadow garb, rusty ring and spider shield is also extremely beneficial.

Avatar image for generalmojo_786
    GeneralMojo_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By GeneralMojo_786
    @Benny: exactly, those who played world 5 in demon souls should have expereince of going through shit like that, if you havent, i reccomend you buy the poisonbite ring from the preist guy under the first bell, it boosts your poison resistantce, i went from 145 poison resistant to over 400 with that (i didnt use it for bligtown though i only found out about it after i conquered blightown and the queen) the rings 15k souls but well worth it if you hate poison.

if you still have problems in blightown make sure you stay hollow and put your white stone sign down, help others get through their, while you do that you get familiar with the environment, earn souls and expereince of the area so you can go do it yourself (and possibily with other phantoms) its how i got through blightown, just took me the whole day to get used too :P
    bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By bcjohnnie

As the idiot who started this topic, I can say that Blighttown is only bad when you don't know what's going on the first time. The combination of the framerate, those poison dart dudes, crappy ledges that you can fall off of, and everything trying to poison you really combine for a frustrating and discouraging experience. However, it is good practice for the countless other areas in the game that provide similar experiences through different effects (Tomb of Giants and Lost Izalith come to mind). If you're reading this and have yet to go through blighttown, load up on poison moss (and some toxin moss), tread carefully, and don't aggro more dudes than you can handle.

That said, Blighttown is one of the places where I really wished the multiplayer summoning had been working better. It took me forever to get anyone to help me beat Quelaag.

Avatar image for thehermaeusmora
    TheHermaeusMora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TheHermaeusMora

@Jeffsekai: idk when i summoned her we were fighting the boss and half wy through she got killed which for that character is a bit of an understatement

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SpaceRunaway
    @Sphinxks
    The ogres were probably the one thing that kept my spirits up in Blighttown.  They're so blisteringly stupid that if you just run away they'll end up walking off the platforms to their death.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MeierTheRed

Blight Town was not bad, but i fucking hate Sens Fortress.

Red_R0B0T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Red_R0B0T

The only thing that really bothered me about Blight town was the horrible camera. Every complaint anyone has had with the camera in this game is true. It's awful. Fighting with your camera clipped through a ledge over your head= fuck this game.

That said, I managed to make it through Blight town relatively unscathed, though I am scared that everyone is saying Sen's Fortress/Tomb of Giants/Lost Izalith is worse.

Worse how?

Like "technically broken, fuck this game's camera programmer" worse, or "much more difficult" worse? I can handle difficult, I don't even mind some cheap deaths, as long as there isn't any more areas where the bad camera combines with a bad frame rate and narrow ledges.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@McShank said:

The game is a bitch. Like one of the many characters I have Beaten in one of my favorite games said to me a million times "You are not prepared!"

will admit that is an amazing line. Also the worst part about this POS area I think was the FPS and Toxin darts. I had about 20 moss saved from the forest. It's all good when you get to sen's fortress you'll want to pull your teeth out from the small bridge and traps. Followed by me wanting to legit kill myself because of anor londo, after crying about how shitty the painted world was.. Omg does this game hike up after the second bell.

Agent_Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By Agent_Eli

I would wear a t-shit saying "We need to get the f*ck out of Blighttown"

Ok, so here's two hot tips for finding items you that made my trip through this vile land much more bearable:

1. There is a stone bridge in Valley of Drakes, if you can kill two or three drakes without dying, about 3/4ths of the way there is a Bandit's armor set, and in that set is the Spider Shield. It's resistant to poison, so use that with the Shadow armor set found in Blighttown. (the shield can also be found in the chute behind the undead butcher in The Depths)
    2. There's a secret area that you can access from the elevator shortcut connecting Firelink Shrine and the Undead Parish. All you have to do is when going up, step off to a ledge just a bit higher than where you got on. on the left there should be a spot that you can jump to that should lead up some stairs. Before you go all the way up the stairs though, you should hop on the roof of the nearby shrine to find a key that you'll use a bit later. Go to the top of the stairs and sit through a cool cutscene that will take you back to the undead asylum. If you haven't already been here you should be forewarned, the enemies here are tougher than the first time around. Once here, make you're way to the upper level to the area where you initially had to jump off to attack the first boss (you'll have to fight a knight or two to get there) . Past that area is a door you can open with the key you got on the shrine roof. It's a lot of work but past this door you'll find the Rusted Iron Ring. , but you'll thank me when you realize it negates the movement speed penalty of the swamps in Blighttown.
    senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@bcjohnnie: I am sure someones already said this but I dont feel like ready 4 pages of posts to find out, If you continue down blight down and instead of going and fighting Quelaag, ride the Mill up to the top and KEEP climbing the ladders until you should find some more fatty's with clubs, fight or run past them and it'll take you to drakes valley which is pretty mucha short cut back to fire link shrine on the left.

Sounds like a long trip but its alot faster than going the other way.

Also don't go to the right in drakes valley, they don't call it that for nothing...

P.S. I hated blight town too. After I beat Quelaag I had one of those damn blight creatures do that attack where they Nom-nom on your flesh thats practically a one hit kill when your already in a pickle, and lost all my experience from the boss fight..

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By gike987

I didn't find Blighttown very annoying at all, I made it through on my second try. If you found yourself dying by falling in Blighttown just wait until you get to Sen's fortress.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By JackG100

Or The Hollow...

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By DoctorWelch

Okay I can tell I fucked up. This is going to make me sound like an idiot but I had no idea what else to do. So I rang the first bell and did most everything I could do in that area except try to go down beneath the blacksmith. I went to go fight the stupid ghosts in new londo but I ran out of the item to let you attack them and I didnt know where to get more so I thought "Well, off to the only other place I know I can go", so I went to Blighttown. Now I basically went completely backwards through that place. I unlocked the door leading to Drakes Valley and then continued through to Blighttown. Then I made it to the swamp campfire first, and then to the bridge campfire second, and then I got to the door that says "doesnt open from this side" and I realized I fucked up. I was thinking this was unusually hard and I am only level 24 but I made it through everything and now I realize I must have done it backwards but I still have no idea where else I was supposed to go. I mean, was I supposed to go where the skeletons were or something...I have no idea, but I need help.

I realize I may need to just make a separate thread about this.

Spiegel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Spiegel

Maybe someone already said this, but there's a great armor set in Blighttown, possibly the best against Poison, that you can get before going to the first Bonfire (the one on the bridge). After getting through the start of the level and passing the messed up little bridge that shakes, go to the wall instead of going down the ladder. you can go behind the wooden structure and you'll see an item in a platform down there. It's the Shadow armor, which is essentially an awesome Ninja outfit. If you have that and the Spider Shield (so you can block those annoying poison darts), poison won't be that much of an issue.

Xtophre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Xtophre
    @SpaceRunaway said:
    @Sphinxks:  The ogres were probably the one thing that kept my spirits up in Blighttown.  They're so blisteringly stupid that if you just run away they'll end up walking off the platforms to their death.
    Interesting, I may have to see if I can get them to fall to their deaths. Thanks for that tip.
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By McShank

@Jmangino said:

@McShank said:

The game is a bitch. Like one of the many characters I have Beaten in one of my favorite games said to me a million times "You are not prepared!"

will admit that is an amazing line. Also the worst part about this POS area I think was the FPS and Toxin darts. I had about 20 moss saved from the forest. It's all good when you get to sen's fortress you'll want to pull your teeth out from the small bridge and traps. Followed by me wanting to legit kill myself because of anor londo, after crying about how shitty the painted world was.. Omg does this game hike up after the second bell.

wait a tick there govna. What about the tomb of giants? And hoe the light spell sucks and so did the lantern, and that the maggot helmet is tucked away behind those god damn headless dinosaurs that were located in the most awesome of lava lakes which was after all of the capra demons and Taurus demons.. Giants tomb and the 2 archers in anor londo.. They know who they are >.> And that RETARDED slow spell.. Those 3 things SUCK ass.. the maggot helmet is ok as i could have just taken the back door by the time i went there but that slow spell with me online with my laptop usually means i get lag and get backstabbed repeatedly in pvp and the giants tomb.. I just hate when i cant see what im running into :(

Rheinmetall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By Rheinmetall

Yeah Blighttown is annoying, but it is nothing compared to Duke's Archives, for a completely different reason. You will see what I mean when you will reach that point. Sen's Castle is frustrating also and New Londo Ruins.

All in all most areas of the game are frustrating and annoying.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Tan

Yup, lost 20k souls when I first entered, really just wanna grab it and run the hell out of there.

Colemang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Colemang

god damn those blow dart dudes.  i'm battling blight town right now and most of my comments to friends start like many statement in here:  fuck blight town.  eff this.  eff that.  

love this game.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By Tarsier

for the xbox version this area is completely unreasonable. its not the difficulty level of the game its the fuckiness of the combat mehanics (auto aiming on a guy whose falling off a ledge and falling with him), and the almost constant 5 frames per second. i blame sony for making such a crappy console. i doubt the dark souls designers had the cash to hire another team to make the xbox port.

Theresonlyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Theresonlyone

@Chop: I love fighting giant skeleton monsters in the dark, on cliff edges.

Theresonlyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Theresonlyone

@Mexican_Brownie: You will have to go back to Blighttown there is an entrance to a secret area there.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#77  Edited By TheHT

Oh it makes me happy that a new demographic of gamers will get to experience Blighttown.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#78  Edited By Humanity

Blighttown was terrible for me because I was a halberd user and I could not hit the mosquitos. 9/10 times I would just whiff air so I had to use my pyromancy to kill them which at that point served as my last resort options or "cheese this boss" option. That giant rat in the sewers? Never even got close, just fried him from far away.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Terramagi

@Theresonlyone said:

@Mexican_Brownie: You will have to go back to Blighttown there is an entrance to a secret area there.

TGH and AL are completely optional though.

Though there is some nice shit in there.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#80  Edited By TobbRobb

@Humanity: Why would you cheese the rat? :D He is probably the easiest miniboss in the game.

Anyone know if the PC version is selling well? I can't really afford buying games I already own, but I want to support their decision.

@TheHT: I'm looking forward to the roar of new DS threads that's gonna show up. This game is just so much fun to talk about.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SomeJerk

What's Blighttown like in the PC port? Sticking to the cap of 30? Because that'd make it an instant purchase.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82  Edited By mosespippy

@Humanity: Should have carried some throwing darts. Mosquitos die with just one dart.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Terramagi

@SomeJerk said:

What's Blighttown like in the PC port? Sticking to the cap of 30? Because that'd make it an instant purchase.

It depends on your system.

If you have one of the wizard cards that it magically works with, you will have 30 FPS the entire game.

If you don't, the game will crash constantly and barely break 10 FPS at best.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Terramagi

@TobbRobb said:

@Humanity: Why would you cheese the rat? :D He is probably the easiest miniboss in the game.

Anyone know if the PC version is selling well? I can't really afford buying games I already own, but I want to support their decision.

@TheHT: I'm looking forward to the roar of new DS threads that's gonna show up. This game is just so much fun to talk about.

On Steam it's #1 on the list.

Even above the new Counter-Strike.

Think about that for a moment.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TobbRobb

@Terramagi: That's great news! This really should be proof that the majority of PC gamers aren't entitled pricks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Humanity

@TobbRobb: Ehh probably cause I could and I was lower level so everything scared the crap out of me. The biggest fear is not knowing the attack patterns of your enemies. Gaping Dragon is huge but when you learn everything he does he's probably the easiest boss in the game - although once again, some attacks would always wiff when using the halberd.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Terramagi

@Humanity said:

@TobbRobb: Ehh probably cause I could and I was lower level so everything scared the crap out of me. The biggest fear is not knowing the attack patterns of your enemies. Gaping Dragon is huge but when you learn everything he does he's probably the easiest boss in the game - although once again, some attacks would always wiff when using the halberd.

Pft, Pinwheel is easily the wussiest boss in the game. I mean, you can summon a phantom that kills him in 3 hits. Gaping Dragon is nothing if not predictable, but at the very least he takes hits like a champ so the fight might go on long enough for you to fuck up and get ruined by him.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Humanity

@Terramagi said:

@Humanity said:

Pft, Pinwheel is easily the wussiest boss in the game. I mean, you can summon a phantom that kills him in 3 hits. Gaping Dragon is nothing if not predictable, but at the very least he takes hits like a champ so the fight might go on long enough for you to fuck up and get ruined by him.

Oh and that acid attack that ruins all your gear is also pretty dick. I say easiest but he still took me 3 tries before I killed him. Then I camped outside his door and helped others, although no voice communication is tough since I would be screaming at my monitor "no NOOO get away he's gonna spew acid now; no don't go there he's ready to charge OHH noo dammit!!"

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Humanity said:

@Terramagi said:

@Humanity said:

Oh and that acid attack that ruins all your gear is also pretty dick. I say easiest but he still took me 3 tries before I killed him. Then I camped outside his door and helped others, although no voice communication is tough since I would be screaming at my monitor "no NOOO get away he's gonna spew acid now; no don't go there he's ready to charge OHH noo dammit!!"

I beat most bosses first try. Only one I had issue with was The Garoyals. I kept getting bitch slapped off the roof. 
    Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@Chop said:

Tomb of Giants is worse

^^^^

This. Blighttown got frustrating, but once I realized that the muck poisoned me, I climbed all the fucking way back out while I still had the necessary moss to cure poison, then I bought a metric fuckton before going back down. Though, admittedly, I entered/left Blighttown through the Valley of the Drakes shortcut.

I loved, loved Tomb of Giants, but kind of in the same way that Patrick "enjoyed" Amnesia. The pervasive darkness, narrow ledges, etc. were all great and highly atmospheric, but for the last two hours of bashing around down there, I was a wreck. I just wanted to kill Nito and get the fuck out.

Not that, y'know, Crystal Cave is any easier.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MuttersomeTaxicab said:

@Chop said:

Tomb of Giants is worse

^^^^

This. Blighttown got frustrating, but once I realized that the muck poisoned me, I climbed all the fucking way back out while I still had the necessary moss to cure poison, then I bought a metric fuckton before going back down. Though, admittedly, I entered/left Blighttown through the Valley of the Drakes shortcut.

I loved, loved Tomb of Giants, but kind of in the same way that Patrick "enjoyed" Amnesia. The pervasive darkness, narrow ledges, etc. were all great and highly atmospheric, but for the last two hours of bashing around down there, I was a wreck. I just wanted to kill Nito and get the fuck out.

Not that, y'know, Crystal Cave is any easier.

I got invaded 3 times in Crystal cave and all of them ran off a edge into the abyss. It was great. 
    Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Terramagi

I died a grand total of one time in Crystal Cave.

Doesn't stop me from trembling at the memory.

FUCK that place.

Also the clams were pussies.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TobbRobb

@Humanity: @Terramagi: Gaping Dragon was actually one of the ones i had the most issues with. Him or Fatboy and Slim. Gwyn was just practicing parries for a while and four kings is a fucking gear check. Everyone else were fairly easy.

Fuck the Crystal Caves, I played through that part while my internet connection was down. Learning the paths without help was so frustrating.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By masterrain

Fuck chests that eat you.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By lilbigsupermario

@MasterRain said:

LOL!

Just hit every chest with your sword. :D

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96  Edited By mosespippy

@MasterRain: You can tell the difference between the chests that eat you and the chests that are chests by looking at the chain on the side. Chests that eat you have the chain pointing out towards you and chests that don't have the chain pointing in the direction that you're facing.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By masterrain

@lilbigsupermario said:

@MasterRain said:

LOL!

Just hit every chest with your sword. :D

@mosespippy said:

@MasterRain: You can tell the difference between the chests that eat you and the chests that are chests by looking at the chain on the side. Chests that eat you have the chain pointing out towards you and chests that don't have the chain pointing in the direction that you're facing.

Yeah I know you can see the difference, but I get so excited when I see a chest and am usually exhausted from fighting that I can't resist :(

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By TobbRobb

Since this seems to be the "talk about dark souls crap" thread...

The archers in Anor Londo are scarring me for life, again. I swear those guys are the biggest assholes in the game.

kilikafinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By kilikafinal

@TobbRobb said:

Since this seems to be the "talk about dark souls crap" thread...

The archers in Anor Londo are scarring me for life, again. I swear those guys are the biggest assholes in the game.

Which archers are giving you problems? If you keep moving diagonally toward them they wont be able to hit you. The only one i see that could be a problem is the one where you have to run up to the outer edge of a building.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Rafaelfc

I've lost a weekend trying to beat the "Bed of Chaos" boss... it wasn't difficult at all, but I couldn't figure out what to do and kept dying over and over while poking around...

extra infuriating was the path to get to the boss, very very easy path but it took a while to get from my bonfire at demon ruins to the bed of chaos room, ugh. walking on lava was fun though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.