Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Demon's Souls Sequel "Dark Souls" Hitting 360, PS3 This Year

• 173 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

Good news for players who love punishment and hate checkpoints; Famitsu is reporting that From Software's followup to the 2009's cult hit Demon's Souls--codenamed "Project Dark" at the Tokyo Game Show last year--has been properly named and dated for release. The newly titled Dark Souls is set to launch before the end of this year in Japan, Europe and the US. And unlike its predecessor, Dark Souls will be available on the Xbox 360 as well as the PlayStation 3, allowing a whole new group of players to experience the particular desire to break a game disc with a jackhammer.

Famitsu's article (translated by Siliconera) also provides a few hints as to what differentiates Dark Souls from its critically acclaimed predecessor. One 0f those differentiations; Dark Souls will have no connection to any of the events that occurred in Demon's Souls.That means no  Boletaria (what a great name for a fantasy kingdom!) and no story connection to the previous game. However, Dark Souls does still feature the same gameplay structure as Demon's Souls; Prepare to slowly creep around corners, hold your shield in front of your face at all times and pray you land the first strike on your opponents. 

This dragon flaps his wings twice, roars and then swoops across the bridge. If you don't get this exact timing down, you will never see the other side.
    This dragon flaps his wings twice, roars and then swoops across the bridge. If you don't get this exact timing down, you will never see the other side.

== TEASER ==While character customization will still factor into the game, Famitsu reports that Dark Souls will ditch the previous game’s class structure in favor of a branching system that will allow players to define their play style from the start. Dark Souls also purports to be a much larger game than Demon's Souls; players will travel through a single connected game environment (rather than the five separate worlds which could be tackled in any order).

It wouldn’t be a “Souls” game without the series' bizarre multiplayer implementation, either; according to From Software, Dark Souls will feature a version of the “ Phantom multiplayer” found in its predecessor. Players will once again be able to leave online notes for others or join another player's game. From also told Famitsu that the online functionalities in Dark Souls will not require a connection with a centralized server like the original Demon's Souls. As a result, Dark Soul's online play won’t be at the mercy of server shutdown (though it could result in the removal of the World Tendency changes from Demon's Souls). 

If, for some reason, you were worried that From might try to soften the game’s difficulty, you need not fret; From Software says that Dark Souls will aim to match the difficulty of its predecessor. If you could cross the bridge in Boletaria Palace 1-2 without getting killed by the dragon, you should feel right at home in Dark Souls.

And this is what waits for you on the other side of the bridge. He sucks too! 

As someone who managed to get through all of Demon's Souls (but only once! Playthrough 2 is totally beyond me), I could not be more excited to once again be humbled by From Software. Demon's Souls was a challenging game, but its mixture of exploration, preparation, and  savage melee combat was satisying in ways that more standard character action games couldn't achieve. Combining that gameplay with the multiplayer mode--which allowed players to have an online experience that didn't break the atmosphere and immersion in the game world--Demon's Souls was simultaneously a relic of old game design and a video game that fell out of the future.  

Hopefully, From Software can improve those main gameplay elements while correcting the most troubling issues from Demon's Souls like the game's terrible UI (it was impossible to understand how equipment, items, and statistical changes affected your character) and the sometimes-wonky button mapping (target enemies by clicking in the thumb stick? There has to be a better way to do that). From Software will have a truly savage game if they can pull all that off before Dark Souls is released worldwide later this year. 

Edit: Gamespot has the very first trailer for Dark Souls. Did you like Demon's Souls? Then you will like this trailer. And you will be afraid of it. 

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Good news for players who love punishment and hate checkpoints; Famitsu is reporting that From Software's followup to the 2009's cult hit Demon's Souls--codenamed "Project Dark" at the Tokyo Game Show last year--has been properly named and dated for release. The newly titled Dark Souls is set to launch before the end of this year in Japan, Europe and the US. And unlike its predecessor, Dark Souls will be available on the Xbox 360 as well as the PlayStation 3, allowing a whole new group of players to experience the particular desire to break a game disc with a jackhammer.

Famitsu's article (translated by Siliconera) also provides a few hints as to what differentiates Dark Souls from its critically acclaimed predecessor. One 0f those differentiations; Dark Souls will have no connection to any of the events that occurred in Demon's Souls.That means no  Boletaria (what a great name for a fantasy kingdom!) and no story connection to the previous game. However, Dark Souls does still feature the same gameplay structure as Demon's Souls; Prepare to slowly creep around corners, hold your shield in front of your face at all times and pray you land the first strike on your opponents. 

== TEASER ==While character customization will still factor into the game, Famitsu reports that Dark Souls will ditch the previous game’s class structure in favor of a branching system that will allow players to define their play style from the start. Dark Souls also purports to be a much larger game than Demon's Souls; players will travel through a single connected game environment (rather than the five separate worlds which could be tackled in any order).

It wouldn’t be a “Souls” game without the series' bizarre multiplayer implementation, either; according to From Software, Dark Souls will feature a version of the “ Phantom multiplayer” found in its predecessor. Players will once again be able to leave online notes for others or join another player's game. From also told Famitsu that the online functionalities in Dark Souls will not require a connection with a centralized server like the original Demon's Souls. As a result, Dark Soul's online play won’t be at the mercy of server shutdown (though it could result in the removal of the World Tendency changes from Demon's Souls). 

If, for some reason, you were worried that From might try to soften the game’s difficulty, you need not fret; From Software says that Dark Souls will aim to match the difficulty of its predecessor. If you could cross the bridge in Boletaria Palace 1-2 without getting killed by the dragon, you should feel right at home in Dark Souls.

As someone who managed to get through all of Demon's Souls (but only once! Playthrough 2 is totally beyond me), I could not be more excited to once again be humbled by From Software. Demon's Souls was a challenging game, but its mixture of exploration, preparation, and  savage melee combat was satisying in ways that more standard character action games couldn't achieve. Combining that gameplay with the multiplayer mode--which allowed players to have an online experience that didn't break the atmosphere and immersion in the game world--Demon's Souls was simultaneously a relic of old game design and a video game that fell out of the future.  

Hopefully, From Software can improve those main gameplay elements while correcting the most troubling issues from Demon's Souls like the game's terrible UI (it was impossible to understand how equipment, items, and statistical changes affected your character) and the sometimes-wonky button mapping (target enemies by clicking in the thumb stick? There has to be a better way to do that). From Software will have a truly savage game if they can pull all that off before Dark Souls is released worldwide later this year. 

Edit: Gamespot has the very first trailer for Dark Souls. Did you like Demon's Souls? Then you will like this trailer. And you will be afraid of it. 

Seananigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Seananigans

Nice!! 

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Floppypants

day 1 purchase

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

Maybe I should crack open that copy of Demon's Souls

kilaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By kilaen

YESSSS. Demon's Souls is one of my all favorite games.

ladnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ladnar

Awesome, only got to the 2nd world of the first game but so intense and fun.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gosukiller
    @Floppypants said:

" day 1 purchase "

Same. I'll take any game that's remotely resembles Demon's Souls. Have never played a game quite like it. 

The multiplatformines seems positive enough. You guys get Dark Souls, we get Mass Effect! Yay for all?
    fitzoperfecto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By fitzoperfecto

Haven't beaten Demon's Souls, but I loved it.  I will buy this.  Please though, GB, give me a quick look.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Nasar7

This is gonna be such an excellent year.

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By rargy

Finally.  Was wondering when this was going to get a news story.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Grissefar

This makes me as happy as these puppies.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scooper

Proof read your news stories at least once, please.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Getz

Don't own a PS3, so I'm really looking forward to this

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Choi

Nice, always wanted to try a Demon Soul-ish experience but I don't have a PS 3. 
    My number 1 question is do you need to be connected to xbox live to play the singleplayer? 
     You needed to be connected to play the singleplayer on the PS3, right? 
    Color me excited.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrGetBonus
    @Choi said:
    " Nice, always wanted to try a Demon Soul-ish experience but I don't have a PS 3. My number 1 question is do you need to be connected to xbox live to play the singleplayer?  You needed to be connected to play the singleplayer on the PS3, right? Color me excited. "
    You could play offline, it would just remove the cool online features.
    SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By SpacePenguin

Yes! i really wanted to play this when it came out, now i can play the sequal :D

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Cool beans! Hopefully there'll be a good story to go along with the crazy gameplay, since apparently Demonses Soulsies had jack-all in that respect.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Undeadpool

Looks like I better start being bad...cause it's time for more punishment.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By swamplord666

Shit... that just tells me i need to finish the game before the end of the year :(

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Choi
    @MrGetBonus: Thanks, hope this will be the same then. 

Looks to me that Demon Souls and Mount & Blade have the same idea of physics based combat.  
    I imagine it like a flashed out M&B combat- I would really like that.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy

Day 1. And to be honest I would be fine if they did away with the world tendency thing. Maybe if they had some other system in place but nothing so desperate so that you'd have to suicide a few times to get the world a certain way. 

and why did you hyperlink jackhammer

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Aetos

Still have yet to beat the first one. Was fun while I played it though. Will have to eventually pick this up.

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MJHAYLETT

on 360 this time I see - this means that Giant Bomb wont pussy out like they did with Demon's Souls. If that game was on 360 you can bet your damn hide they would have all played it but nope PS3 only and they hear its hard and unforgiven they decide to not even bother. Console Bias is one thing but not playing good games is another.

Makula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Makula
    +1
    @Grissefar said:
    "
    "

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sunspots

Damn and I have yet to complete Demon Souls and I have Fallout to blame for that. Anyone know if the DS community is still supporting Demon Souls?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
    @Sunspots: The servers are still up and I imagine there are still people playing. People will play that game until the end of time. Rightfully so
    Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Korne

Yes! Demon's Souls was one of the most original game I have ever played. Honestly, it probably has the best online concept evar! And what other game allows you to be the boss character for other people playing the game?

Tophat666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Tophat666

JUMPING UP & DOWN W/EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-61f341f558336
    deactivated-61f341f558336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Loved Demon's Souls. The game was solid.
    I hope Dark Souls is a little more challenging though. The only thing cheaper than "The Cliffs" are the players that drop out. Let's see some penalties this time around.

SaviorsHand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SaviorsHand

Clkcking eh?   

No wonder why I had trouble with this game, I couldn't   clkck properly >_< 

Just teasing with ya.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By luce
    TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheChaos
    @Grissefar said:
    "
    "
    I dunno man, that puppy on the left kinda looks like "god damn shut up you're right in my ear!"
    xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By xymox

Dark's Souls?

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sunspots
    @xyzygy: Cool, it's been so long for me that it'll be like playing for the first time all over again. Easily one of my favorite games of '09 and THE BEST pleasant surprise of '09. I origiinally bought that game with no prior knowledge of it AT ALL. I just really liked the sparse write up on the back and the box art, looked like my kinda game, and it totally ended up being exactly what I was looking for.
    McGriddle550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By McGriddle550

Finally on the 360 I will get a chance to experience said difficulty.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Yesssssss please. 8D

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By deathstroke75

can't wait for this game.  loved the first one, not as hard as everyone made it out to be, just had to be very deliberate with your play.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By metalmoog

I agree with all of the comments here. Demon's Souls was an amazingly unique game and I cannot wait for this.

Avatar image for power_and_glory
    power_and_glory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By power_and_glory
    @MJHAYLETT said:
    " on 360 this time I see - this means that Giant Bomb wont pussy out like they did with Demon's Souls. If that game was on 360 you can bet your damn hide they would have all played it but nope PS3 only and they hear its hard and unforgiven they decide to not even bother. Console Bias is one thing but not playing good games is another. "
    Take off the tin foil hat. Last I checked Vinny did play and enjoyed the first one.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By emem
    @swamplord666 said:
    " Shit... that just tells me i need to finish the game before the end of the year :( "
    Oh god, if you are talking about Demon's Souls, I was thinking the exact same thing. But I'm glad there will be a sequel soon so I don't have to wait that long after I've finished it.
    ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ethan

Who is Matt Kesller?  What is happening to this site?

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Simulacrum

The masochist in me is jumping for joy.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mordukai
    @Power_and_Glory said:

" @MJHAYLETT said:

" on 360 this time I see - this means that Giant Bomb wont pussy out like they did with Demon's Souls. If that game was on 360 you can bet your damn hide they would have all played it but nope PS3 only and they hear its hard and unforgiven they decide to not even bother. Console Bias is one thing but not playing good games is another. "
    Take off the tin foil hat. Last I checked Vinny did play and enjoyed the first one. "
    Vinny didn't get far. I don't think he even kept playing much after the QL. I am kinda surprised Dave didn't play it (as far as we know). Demon's Souls would seem a game right up his ally.   MJHAYLETT did have something when he said the GB crew kinda pussied (not sure if it's an actual word) out on this game. Just watch the QL and listened to Jeff'sr emarks the whole way through.  

I am very happy xbox gamer are gonna get a game that draws a lot of inspiration from Demon's Souls but I am afraid they are putting way too much in it. I already expressed my fears for this game on the 360 platform. As iv'e said in my blog I am afraid that given the nature of XBL not all players will be on even ground and as such the game might suffer because of it. 
    m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By m0rdr3d

This just shot up there into Skyrim-level anticipation for me!  Also, Endurance Run.

JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus

Couldn't beat the last boss of the first one :( 

But I will be getting this because I loved it :)

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ComradeKhan

Oh shit...

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dvorak

Try some copy-editing. Your article reads like a lazy blog entry. There's at least a dozen superfluous commas. That's not even mentioning actual grammar.

Avatar image for power_and_glory
    power_and_glory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By power_and_glory
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Power_and_Glory said:
    " @MJHAYLETT said:
    Take off the tin foil hat. Last I checked Vinny did play and enjoyed the first one. "
    Vinny didn't get far. I don't think he even kept playing much after the QL. I am kinda surprised Dave didn't play it (as far as we know). Demon's Souls would seem a game right up his ally. powe_and_glory did have something when he said the GB crew kinda pussied (not sure if it's an actual word) out on this game. Just watch the QL and listened to Jeff'sr emarks the whole way through.  

I am very happy xbox gamer are gonna get a game that draws a lot of inspiration from Demon's Souls but I am afraid they are putting way too much in it. I already expressed my fears for this game on the 360 platform. As iv'e said in my blog I am afraid that given the nature of XBL not all players will be on even ground and as such the game might suffer because of it.  "
    I did not say they "pussied" out. I was quoting the other guy. My beef with that guys post was about him saying how if it was a 360 game originally they would have played it. Thats just total bullshit. It wasn't Jeff's or whoever else on the GB staff type of game so I'm pretty sure the platform would not have made a difference.
    zeox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zeox
    LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LoktarOgar
     As someone who managed to get through all of Demon's Souls

Kessler deserves more love for this. He could've led a TNT or something, or an endurance run >_>

I don't remember any of the main GB crew ever mentioning Kessler's time with Demon's Souls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.