Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Does anyone else not use the Auto-Targetting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By morosemode

I realised something many hours in that I hadn't been using the lock-on at all. Very rarely I've since used it against some bosses/mini-bosses, though.  

But it got me thinking - I've heard some people having problems with the lock-on being awkward (especially in group situations). Maybe don't rely on it and just rely on manual combat more, atleast against groups.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By WickedCestus

I can't imagine not using the auto-targeting. I would probably die like 4x more than I do now.

Whatever floats your goat, I guess.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

No, I use it all the time.

Although in Demon's Souls I got through about half of the game before I even realized you could lock on to enemies.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

No, I use it and it doesn't give me any trouble. The only thing that sucks is having to double tap a direction to switch between targets. Honestly manual combat without the lock on is what I find kind of awkward.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Thor_Molecules

I use the auto-targeting all the time, but I did have to adjust to the controls, seeing as they are slightly wonkier compared to Demon's Souls.

You have to actually flick the analog stick to switch targets in Dark Souls. Once I got that down, it was all smooth sailing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Aiming magic without auto-targeting would be the most difficult thing ever, so no.  

morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By morosemode

Ah well that's understandable, I'm just melee & archery so far. Pyromancy & throwing, not so much.

I think I prefer it just because of playing alot of Monster Hunter.

Altagrave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Altagrave

the priority the auto-target in this game when facing multiple enemies in melee range is total retard. I can kill an enemy that's right in front of me, and the reticule will jump to an enemy behind me when there's one right in front of me, but it's just a little bit farther and it screws me up so bad.

But you need it to block, so w/e, have to live with it.

smiteofhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By smiteofhand

I mostly use auto-targeting, but on occasion I do not. Dropping it when you are surrounded generally makes it easier to attack multiple guys with a swipe or avoid hitting a wall in a tight spot.

That said I find myself constantly pushing in the right analog hoping it will cycle to the next person. Throwing off my game, and not sure why in the heat of battle my brain thinks this is the right thing to do.

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Enns

I dunno, I'd say it's 50-50 for me. I like to keep moving so I don't target much and go for kicks and back stabs. I do target for aiming magic or when I need to turtle up to try to counter. When in a confined space I also target since you can't really get around them.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Rayeth

You need to break your dependence on the lock on for some bosses so you can get the "chop off the tail" weapons.

That said, those are pretty much the only time I don't use it.

soul47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it a lot easier to not lock on when beting dark souls one and two and even new game plus.by the way my dark souls chrichter is a tank build so I don't use magig or any other alternative to fight besides my sword

GiantRobot24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GiantRobot24

if this is the same auto-targeting everyone bitched about Brad using then yes, used that shit for every encounter beat the game just fine

Maybe "just fine" is a bit of a stretch, it was a hard, but fair win

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I constantly click it on and drop it during fights. After spending enough time with the games you start to recognize when it helps and when you are better off without it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Old thread. But I never used it at all in Dark Souls. Only used it on 2 bosses in Bloodborne. I think the targeting makes it harder to hit multiple enemies at once and I use big sweepy weapons.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I use necro thread for all my targeting needs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.