Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Giant Bomb review?

stratzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By stratzilla

Wasn't there mention of a review in the Quick Look? It's been almost three weeks, does anyone know if GB is doing one?

Sorry if it's been asked already, I don't need to be a nuisance.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Most likely they aren't going to review it and if they do, it wont be any time soon. Rorie made a write up about it which shared his thoughts about it.

thekeenan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thekeenan

I think if they were going to do one it probably would of been done already.

At this point a review serves little purpose since most people will have made their minds up about whether or not they want to purchase it

It is not like haven't discussed it enough already so we pretty much know where they each stand with the game.

I will say however their constant discussion of it on the past few Bombcasts and the quick look has gotten me very interested in it. I think I will wait until next year or for a price drop before picking it up myself though, too many other games I want to play atm.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

Rories thoughts on the game is all we will get as Rorie was going to review it but he said later he wasn't sure how it can be reviewed properly as there is a lot to it that seems to defy a lot of gaming conventions but is good in its own right (or something like that).

Rorie felt he would do it better sharing his thoughts on the game rather then reviewing it; I'm sure his inability to complete it in a good amount of time also had a small bit to do with it as well.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By EVO

I think we can all agree that it got 4/5.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cornbredx

@EVO: If it wasn't for the networking issues it would be a 5/5, but ya I agree.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

I know Kessler has finished a playthrough, if anything they will probably make him write a review.   Don't really know how far Rorie is or if he's finished at all, he seems too busy, so i doubt he'll be writing the review.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By EVO

@Marz said:

I know Kessler has finished a playthrough, if anything they will probably make him write a review.

Is it even necessary? I mean, by this point anyone interested in Dark Souls has probably already made up their minds.

A review would serve only to get Kessler's view out there, of which there's already a video of.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Marz
    @EVO said:

@Marz said:

I know Kessler has finished a playthrough, if anything they will probably make him write a review.

Is it even necessary? I mean, by this point anyone interested in Dark Souls has probably already made up their minds.

A review would serve only to get Kessler's view out there, of which there's already a video of.

it kind of is necessary, people don't make up their minds to buy games the first week they are released.  If they are ever in a position in the future to find a game they are slightly interested, they go back and read some old reviews in order to make that commitment.  Hell it's exactly what i did for Demon's Souls, I did not buy that game when it was released, I bought it earlier this year.   I saw it was 15$ on amazon, and i was "hmmm i heard about how difficult this game could be, maybe i should do a little more research."   So i went and read some old ass reviews on gaming websites to finally make my decision.    Hell i do this for alot of games.

Now i know Giantbomb sort of has thoughts on games they didn't review, but those thoughts aren't easily accessible.  What vinny said on the bombcast or what kessler said about the game isn't directly on the game's page for easy access.

Optimally a gaming site would review almost every game that they could, but i know Giantbomb doesn't have those resources at the moment. 
    stratzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By stratzilla

I, personally, watch reviews more for entertainment and to gain insight on how one reviewers likes a game compared to other games he or she has reviewed in the past. I've already made my mind well before any reviews were posted on GT. GS. IGN, et al., but I still like to see the Giantbomb stance on Dark Souls.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

Same situation as with Witcher 2 or Dragon Age 2.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By jozzy

@EVO said:

I think we can all agree that it got 4/5.

Yup, but one of those 4/5's where the game is incredible and it's pretty much required for anyone serious about their gaming to at least experience it. Not one of those 4/5's where you have a good game but nothing is really that special about it. Review scores without context will always be funny.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By phrosnite

4/5

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @CornBREDX said:

Rories thoughts on the game is all we will get...

I personally thought Rorie's article on this game was more enlightening than most reviews (on this or other sites, on this or other games). 
    bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By bushpusherr

@CornBREDX: and the horrendous frame rate in multiple areas.

It's not perfect, but it will still most likely be my favorite game of the year, and certainly the one I spent the most time with.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By doobie

tech issues stop DS being a 5 star game imo. the framerate in some parts is just unacceptable.

such a shame its not on the PC

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cornbredx
    @bushpusherr: Ya, I hadnt encountered that yet when I said that but yes that too. 
    It's really close to my favorite game this year so far but I have like 4 or something other games to play still this year. Gonna be tough to beat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.