Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Hardest boss you've faced so far.

• 116 results
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

I just got done fighting the Great Grey wolf Sif. That mother fucker killed me about 12 times with that double spin attack. After the first spin the second would destroy all my endurance and half my health. I had some trouble with the Quelaag but nothing compares to that damn wolf.  What about you guys? I just reached the Iron Golem, he doesn't seem too bad except its easy to roll off the edge.

Sorry if this thread has been made already, didn't see it on the page

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BaneFireLord

Haven't played a ton (I only play on weekends and I've been SUPER busy) , but the two tower gargoyles were a bitch.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By N7

Darks Souls has to be a boss at this point. Nothing on Earth is that hard.

Mount Everest is easier to climb than to deal with the crap this game puts you through.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The Capra Demon. The way it rushes you as soon as you enter the area would have made it very hard to go against it as a defenseless sorcerer. Having a partner aggro the dogs and the Capra Demon as I sought refuge in the staircase and cast Spell Arrows from a distance helped a lot.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By McQuinn

... I died against Taurus Demon 6 times before I remembered I can air strike. I've found most of the bosses much easier than the Demon's Souls bosses.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By bearshamanbro

@BaneFireLord: I agree. Just cleared those gargoyles after probably 20 tries. Got it down to where I hardly got touched until the second one comes in and then got routinely handled. What made it deflating is that this area wasn't really conducive to soul farming and couldn't upgrade weapons yet so basically the situation was to beat those gargoyles or don't make any progress. Eventually just ended up firebombing that first gargoyle to death once the second on entered the battle and cleared it first try using this approach.

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mitter

So far it was the Stray Demon with about 15-20 tries, though I haven't beaten Sif yet which seems pretty much impossible to solo for me. Problem here is, that I get invaded as soon as I'm in human form, so summoning a phantom is no option while the invasions are never ending...

Loopah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Loopah

Easily Smorgh and Ornstein (sp?). I killed the fat one last on my first playthrough (easy mode), but will have to kill the fat guy first on NG+. Not looking forward to that fight at all =/

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @mitter:  I beat it solo.  What I did was get has close to him as possible.  He has a 3 hit combo but if you're pretty much underneath him you really only have to block the first swing.  After that I either went to town on him or drank an estus flask. 

@bearshamanbro
     All I did was summon in two people for my first try and beat him within 1 minutes.  From what horror stories I've heard about the gargoyles, summoning seems to be the way to go.

@FluxWaveZ
     Don't ask me how but I beat this guy in one try by myself.  I think I got lucky and cast a fireball which hit both the dogs and killing them almost right away.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cornbredx

Queen Qulaag or whatever her name is. I had to summon phantoms for the first time in the game for that fight. Was a lot of fun though.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MoseSSesoM

Great Grey wolf Sif haven't even beat him yet. Hardest that I have beat is Quelaag. I also get surprised by how many people I have read about that had trouble with the Carpa Demon, I found him easyer than any of the Stray demons.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Animasta

@mitter said:

So far it was the Stray Demon with about 15-20 tries, though I haven't beaten Sif yet which seems pretty much impossible to solo for me. Problem here is, that I get invaded as soon as I'm in human form, so summoning a phantom is no option while the invasions are never ending...

yeah stray demon was pretty tough until you figured out the trick, which is basically to stay a little ways behind him until he does his shockwave thing, and then rush in.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MoseSSesoM:  Look two comments above, I described how I beat the wolf. If you can you just have to avoid that sweep attack.
    Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Hef

I think smough and ornstien are easily the hardest bosses in the game. I didn't find the lord bosses half as hard as them. Eventually I summed that npc and someone else and i got them...but not after dying 20+ times in solo. That was the one boss where I actually left the area to go back and level up estus flasks and find better weapons. And not having teleport at that point was a pain in the ass cause I was basically speed running sens fortress.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kazzurak

Only boss i really died to alot was Sif and each time it would be his double spin attack but i would survive the first and the minute i got up i wasnt able to roll away and he would hit me with it again (maybe i was press roll to early i dunno or the game was just not registering the press) but i died maybe 10 times to that damn wolf

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexW00d

I only tried the Gaping Dragon once on my own, so that maybe? Everything else has been alright, even if it has taken a few times. The boss when you go back the Undead Asylum is a motherfucker though, I kept dying with that guy so I gave up.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @bearshamanbro said: 

@BaneFireLord: I agree. Just cleared those gargoyles after probably 20 tries. Got it down to where I hardly got touched until the second one comes in and then got routinely handled. What made it deflating is that this area wasn't really conducive to soul farming and couldn't upgrade weapons yet so basically the situation was to beat those gargoyles or don't make any progress. Eventually just ended up  firebombing that first gargoyle to death once the second on entered the battle and cleared it first try using this approach.

If you want to figure it out on your own, don't read this, but...  

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AyKay_47

The last boss is easily the hardest. Mostly because by then you've more or less mastered the mechanics to the point where every other boss would be a walk in the park, and this guy still fucks you up. The strategy for him is pretty straight forward but you have to be completely focused for a good 5 or 10 minutes, and react to his every pause.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By matoya

Queelag was a fucking nightmare for me personally, whereas Smough/Omer were dead easy. I'd say either Queelag, or the first Capra. The mini capras are piss easy though.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SuperWristBands

Ornstein. He was the only boss in the game I had to seriously try more than 10 times (I fought the Iron Golem a bunch of times cause I really wanted him to fall off the edge but gave up after I realized it was gonna be a huge waste of time... after wasting a large amount of time).

Also, anyone reading this thread who hasn't fought all the bosses yet: Get Iron Flesh and a set of heavy armour (pref Havel's but I have heard Smourg's is better). It makes most bosses laughable, though it won't help you on Sif because he moves to much. For Sif, just wait until later to fight him, I guess? He was one of the last bosses I fought because I had just missed him until near the end game.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WalkerD

I'm surprised at the amount of people having trouble with Queelaag. I rolled in there with 2 doses of flask expecting to die to whatever was inside. I just locked on, circle strafed, never even got hit. Pretty much the same exact deal with the Gaping Dragon, even cut off his tail for some axe that I'll never be able to use.

The boss(es) that I'm having trouble with are Ornstein and Smourgh. I'm killing Smourgh first as I want Ornsteins armor, but the amount of bullshit that gets thrown at you in this fight is ridiculous. Want to slash up Smourgh? Ornsteins already right behind your shit ready to slash you just before your sword connects. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. I got pretty close to finishing them off one time, Smourgh dead, Ornstein at less than a 5th of his health, then missed a roll and got hit by his butt slam. It's been four hours working on these fuckers, but I'm not going to give up, and I'm NOT going to miss out on Ornstein's bad ass looking armor.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smough/Ornstein. Took me 4 tries with him, had help with the kill on the fourth from two phantoms, other than that I've killed them all in one try besides the Gaping Dragon, which randomly picked me up and ate me and killed me in one hit the first time, Capra, which I kept getting caught on the edge of a dog and trapped 3 times, and I think that's all. Oh, the second time you fight the ugly-ass first boss in the undead asylum, I died to him once because I ran out of stamina to roll right as he was smashing down on top of me with his ass.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Cincaid

Capra Demon gave me the most trouble hands down, mostly because I still didn't know how to summon other players and tried over and over again to kill him alone. I've done plenty of bosses alone since then, but he was just a hard motherfucker. The small room, his dogs, his first if-you-don't-dodge-correctly-you-die-move, everything was just horrible. But man was I happy when I finally did it.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By christ0phe

@mitter: Then just go offline

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ProfessorK

I've beaten most of the bosses so far in "order" I guess but I had to skip Sif. God I don't know what it was but he would eat through my shield and it had 100% on phys. So I figured that because he's using the sword of moonlight is was magic def I needed. Regardless of whatever I did I still got my ass handed to me. I feel old now since I can't react as fast as I should be to to roll safely :(

Need to go back and try it now that I'm like thirty slvls higher, lol.

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mitter

@christ0phe said:

Then I wouldn't be able to summon a phantom either...

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By christ0phe

@mitter said:

@christ0phe said:

Then I wouldn't be able to summon a phantom either...

Ohh, I thought you meant the NPC phantoms

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gerrid

I had the most trouble with Sif. Tried for about 2 hours after midnight on Friday and couldn't get him past half health.

I just kept getting caught up in that double 360 swing, or I couldn't get close to him because he was just jumping away and slashing.

Finally gave up at about 2am. First thing Saturday morning I booted up and kicked his ass first time. I was just more patient, held back, realised my shield + stamina soaked up both hits of the double 360 slash. Once I slowed it down, absorbed his hits and waited, I kicked his ass straight away.

Didn't really have too much trouble with Smough & Ornstein, once I realised how much pyromancy hurt them. Used the lightning spear on Ornstein and then just spammed fireballs and fire orbs at Super Smough.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By TobbRobb

I've only gotten past Queelag... none have really been that hard, I died the most to capra I think but that was all in the first rush. Stray demon is a a little annoying, but I've only tried once so far. I don't think he'll be especially hard.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By imsh_pl

I've found all boss fights a breeze provided you have two phantoms to help you, but I died about 4 times before finally killing the moonlight butterfly. I forgot I could use my two spell slots to equip 24 heavy arrows and instead had one slot stupidly occupied by enchant weapon, I was also out of any projectiles. My uchigatana almost broke during one fight so I had to go repair it...

Capra demon was also a bit of a pain. 

I also killed Ornstien and Smough the first time with a help of two phantoms, even though we killed Smough first and the second motherfucker took steroids.

So remember kids, always summon phantoms before boss fights.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Illmatic

In actuality, the gargoyles are the hardest boss I've faced yet but I feel like the Moonlight Butterfly was supposed to be the hardest boss I had yet to face. I managed to find a sort of hidden summon for an NPC before the boss that was able to just completely obliterate the boss while I kept back with my shield. I say I feel like it was supposed to be difficult because the boss did manage to land one attack on me with my shield up. It managed to drain all of my endurance and knock off half of my health....I was in human form....in other words had I been an undead I would have died then and there. Thank you Beatrice. God bless you.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seppli

@Sackmanjones said:

I just got done fighting the Great Grey wolf Sif. That mother fucker killed me about 12 times with that double spin attack. After the first spin the second would destroy all my endurance and half my health. I had some trouble with the Quelaag but nothing compares to that damn wolf. What about you guys? I just reached the Iron Golem, he doesn't seem too bad except its easy to roll off the edge. Sorry if this thread has been made already, didn't see it on the page

As a rule of thumb, Dark Souls gets considerably easier the more stamina you've got. No matter what build, I'd be pushing for at least 20 endurance fast. By the end of the game I had like 50 endurance. As soon as you can block everything a boss throws at you, it's a piece of cake.

Actually, that's pretty much true for most hard RPGs. Increasing survivability first and foremost makes high difficulty much easier to handle. If you intend to do a NG+ after your first playthrough, I'd try to get vitality and endurance to at least 40. I'd rather neglect high tier offensive stuff in favor of survivabilty.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nadril

Ornstien probably. Was a lot easier once I summoned people. 

The Four Kings on NG+ was a absolute pain in the fucking ass until I decided to do the Iron flesh deal. Even then it was fucking hard.  

e: Oh and the wolf gave me some problems on my 1st playthrough, 2nd playthrough I had the ninja roll ring that made the fight super easy. Just stay under him and his attacks are easy to dodge. 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tennmuerti

Just finished the game (no spoiler don't worry). Hardest boss might have been Ornestain and Smoug. But I got lucky and a couple of people got summoned on my 3rd try. Made the fight super easy.

Boss I died to the most was probably the Stray Demon when you return to Undead Asylum.

But my hardest for the entire first play through was stil the first Capra demon and his 2 dogs. Go figure.

None of the other main bosses game me much trouble. The last few I tanked in Havel's armor, protection ring and Iron Flesh, taking next to no damage.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seppli

@Tennmuerti said:

Just finished the game (no spoiler don't worry). Hardest boss might have been Ornestain and Smoug. But I got lucky and a couple of people got summoned on my 3rd try. Made the fight super easy.

Boss I died to the most was probably the Stray Demon when you return to Undead Asylum.

But my hardest for the entire first play through was stil the first Capra demon and his 2 dogs. Go figure.

None of the other main bosses game me much trouble. The last few I tanked in Havel's armor, protection ring and Iron Flesh, taking next to no damage.

I was afraid of Ornstein and Smoug. Read how the encounter gave everybody grief. Beat them in my second try. Just focused on Smoug and was on him 100% of the time - goading him into attacking (so easy to evade up close), whilst beating the shit out of him. Ornstein alone was quite easy too then.

WizardShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WizardShazam

Another vote for Ornstien and Smough. Died a couple of times, first time I had an NPC phantom fighting Smough which let me solo Ornstien. I wasn't ready for 'lightning Smough' after that, though. Second time, I killed Smough first and my phantom died so I had to solo beefy Ornstein. Third time, I won without getting hit (of course).

IMO, lightning Smough is much easier than huge Ornstein, as he doesn't quite have the speed and he is weak to fire.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I was afraid of Ornstein and Smoug. Read how the encounter gave everybody grief. Beat them in my second try. Just focused on Smoug and was on him 100% of the time - goading him into attacking (so easy to evade up close), whilst beating the shit out of him. Ornstein alone was quite easy too then.

Yeah it's Smoug when he is buffed up if you don't kill him first that gives most people trouble.

By the way the order in which you kill them not only changes the item/soul. But also the armor that will be sold by that merchant in the Depths (he will travel to the bridge close to fire link shrine eventually).

And Smoug's armor, if you kill him last, is actually a tiny tiny bit better then Havel's and tiny tiny bit lighter (I still used Havel's because Smoug's armor looks ugly)

Avatar image for farbelowaverage
    Farbelowaverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Farbelowaverage

Using a Wanderer I got really used to hit-and-run tactics one on one, so fighting Sif was actually remarkably easy. When he does most of his attacks, I just rolled through them and gave him a big two-handed swing of Quelaag's leg he went down like a chump pretty quick.

Fatty and the Beanpole, though.... they juggled me like crazy. I gave in and summoned Solaire after about 15 deaths, took down whomever he wasn't tanking.

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By supaman900s

Capra Demon so far...

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kyelb22

It's sad, but I had a lot of trouble with the Gaping Dragon as a Sorcerer. At that point, I only had 30 soul arrows, so when i ran out, it'd get one-shotted by his tail or something. I had to summon help for that one. Sif I beat my first try, didn't get hit once. I'd lure him into his spinning attack, then spam a Great Heavy Soul Arrow. Did that about 4-5 times before he died. Right now I'm stuck on Seath. I stupidly sold my curse resistant clothes and ring, thinking I wouldn't need them. Now it's pretty much impossible for me to beat him.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uniform

The Wolf. I just wasn't ready those stamina draining hits. I would say the Iron Golem, but I was killing myself on that one by rolling off the edge while the camera goes spastic when I strafe him. Other than that, I have easily figured out strats for myself that have made the bosses surprisingly easy. A big let down was the duo you face before getting the ability to warp between fireplaces. Using the pillar stumps allows you to not get hit at all. I don't know..maybe playing a Pyromancer is easy-mode.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kazzurak

@uniform said:

The Wolf. I just wasn't ready those stamina draining hits. I would say the Iron Golem, but I was killing myself on that one by rolling off the edge while the camera goes spastic when I strafe him. Other than that, I have easily figured out strats for myself that have made the bosses surprisingly easy. A big let down was the duo you face before getting the ability to warp between fireplaces. Using the pillar stumps allows you to not get hit at all. I don't know..maybe playing a Pyromancer is easy-mode.

Well yeah pyromancer is the new royalty tbh in the speed run he is pyromancer and hes raping everything as pyromancer he got the drake sword but barely even uses it after he upgrades his pyromancer flame hand thing

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uniform
    @Kazzurak said:

Well yeah pyromancer is the new royalty tbh in the speed run he is pyromancer and hes raping everything as pyromancer he got the drake sword but barely even uses it after he upgrades his pyromancer flame hand thing
    That's what I figured. I use Quelaag's +4 but it doesn't get much use with so many charges of combustion. The damage of the sword isn't in the same realm as my +15 Pyro Flame.
    Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kazzurak

@uniform said:

@Kazzurak said:

That's what I figured. I use Quelaag's +4 but it doesn't get much use with so many charges of combustion. The damage of the sword isn't in the same realm as my +15 Pyro Flame.

Well i guess pyro is in general stronger but it is also alot more difficult to hit with, fx if enemy dodge theres no tracing and the range of fireball and that is horrible menaing you cant really stand back and cast you still have to be danger close to hit with pyro abilities

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Marz

right now i'm kind of stuck on Ornstein and Smough.  But mostly because i run out of healing juice! I should kindle the flame and then i'll have enough to last me both phases.

gregoryc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gregoryc

I'm not very far at all, so the most difficult boss I've faced has been the Bell Gargoyles.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By uniform
    @Kazzurak

Combustion is my bread and butter. I play with it just as I would a melee weapon. Constant strafing until enemy commits to a move and then gets combustion to the backside.
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Marz said:

right now i'm kind of stuck on Ornstein and Smough. But mostly because i run out of healing juice! I should kindle the flame and then i'll have enough to last me both phases.

The bonfire at the start of Anor Londo is already kindled. I'm not sure how people feel about using that one as their revive point after the boss kills them. I was using that one and it wasn't too hard to get back, though it is also pretty easy to get back from the third bonfire. Run past 4 large golem sentry guys or run past 3 silver knights.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By jimi

Smough and Ornsteing. I'm a melee only guy so that was incredibly difficult.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kazzurak

@uniform said:

@Kazzurak: Combustion is my bread and butter. I play with it just as I would a melee weapon. Constant strafing until enemy commits to a move and then gets combustion to the backside.

i do realize that u can play pyromancer melee using combustion and it is powerful but it still has the disadvantage of casting time over melee weapon which you swing instantly and that is also part of what brings you in greater danger

EDIT:@Jimi: i happened to summon 2 guys for that fight and i asked them to take down Smough first since i needed the ornstein soul, so they raped Smough while i distracted Ornstein was an easy kill with 2 phantoms but playing against them solo i can imagine being very difficult i tried where Smough just slammed me while i was fighting Ornstein took away half my hp at the time :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.