Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Namco's official response to Dark Souls Multiplayer criticism.

• 104 results
    Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mikkaq said:

@darji said:

@mikkaq said:

@humanity said:

@darji said:

@humanity said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

Ugh, xbox gamers. It was totally fine when Demon's souls was on Playstation 3...leave it to xbox crybabies to complain.

Except in Demons Souls you could just put your sign down in an out of the way location and 9/10 times your friend would see it. Playing Demons Souls with a friend was pretty easy if you wanted to, and a lot of Demons Souls players were pretty upset at how horribly broken the summoning system was at the launch of Dark Souls.

Also anyone saying that playing with your buddy completely defeats the purpose didn't seem to understand the whole summoning mechanic. The whole concept of summon signs is that you can get someone else to come help you out in the game. Dark Souls isn't meant to be experienced exclusively as a solitary journey. If that is how you want to play it you can, but if you want to summon others into your world that is also perfectly acceptable. Whether they are your friends or complete strangers seems to be splitting hairs, as you'll still be receiving aid from another human being as part of the entire co-op game mechanic.

You do not seem to understand that this is supposed to anonymously. It is the same with Journey. Having a a normal co-op mode would defeat the whole purpose of the game and the world. But despite this the worst thing you can do is using voice chat. If you really do that you do not deserve to play another Dark Souls.

The biggest shortcoming of the Souls games, and this only really started with the mainstream success of Dark Souls, are the strange and arbitrary "rules" that dedicated players have started to impose on themselves and others in order to define how to "properly" play the game.

This is why I cannot wait for Xbonerland to become a reality.

Yes, this. I'm really sick of people trying to tell me how to play Dark Souls. They can play it how they want, adding a real coop option takes nothing from their experience if they opt not to use it. Personally I like my games to make advances in functionality, not the opposite.

Yes it does. Just because you can does not mean you should. You are not the game designer. You are breaking the game just because you think its more fun without but sometimes games mechanics should not be fun sometimes believe it or not games should feel isolated and dangerous. Playing dark souls is like playing a game like Amnesia with co op and lights on.

Just like The journey this isolated experience is what makes dark souls special. What will you do next? Play it offline without getting be able to invaded while using a FAQ while listening to custom Dubsteb music?

This is some seriously narrow-minded shit. If people weren't willing to push games and break them past their intended design, we'd never see improvements. The combo system used in literally every fighting game stems from players exploiting Street Fighter II bugs and playing it in ways that weren't intended. Game developers are not perfect and their vision is not absolute. It's sad to see that fans of a game with emergent gameplay being so critical of that very kind of gameplay.

And what does it matter if I use FAQs and listen to rap while playing games? Why does this bother you? There is no right way to play a game. It's an interactive medium and by that very nature the experience is dictated by the one playing, not necessarily the other way around.

Because I believe games should be played and experienced as the game designer intended. For example you don't go into a cinema and while watching it you read spoilers on your Ipad or listen to other music with your iphone etc. As for your examples: These are mechanic related and yeah finding new ways or even exploit things after discovering. These problems developers should cover. But this is an experience and atmospheric problem.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@darji: That's a bad analogy, the cinema is not an interactive medium, video games are. If there is a right way to play a game, you might as well code a script that just plays the game the right way with no user input. What the developer thinks might be good is not necessarily true either or we wouldn't have any need for games criticism. Dark Souls is very far from a perfect game and I can see many places where it can be improved in a sequel.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Darji

@mikkaq said:

@darji: That's a bad analogy, the cinema is not an interactive medium, video games are. If there is a right way to play a game, you might as well code a script that just plays the game the right way with no user input. What the developer thinks might be good is not necessarily true either or we wouldn't have any need for games criticism. Dark Souls is very far from a perfect game and I can see many places where it can be improved in a sequel.

But they did exactly that and you guys A complain and B try to break it with the PC mod for example. Having no voice chat and having no real co op play is not because they couldn't do it or thought about it but because they didn't wanted to. Just look how they disabled voicechat even on the 360.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

whoah who brought this thread back from the dead

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.