Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Cells

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 10, 2017

Dead Cells is a metroidvania style rogue-lite set in an ever-changing castle.

PSA: save scumming with Switch Online

Avatar image for terminallychill
    terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey folks. Just wanted to let you know you can upload/redownload your saves with the switch online service.

Like some of you, I have played this for quite a while but got sick of running the first 3/4 over and over - it gets too easy! So I save scummed in front of the Throne Room with a good setup and beat the Hand on the second try! Feels good, I really enjoyed this game but was starting to burn out hard. Might go back and try it with the Boss Cells eventually.

Cheers!

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In the same spirit as "Doom is a far better game if you don't cheat", I would like to say: don't do this. Try and finish the game at least once without cheating. The joy of the game is not just in finishing it, it's playing through it in new ways, trying new combinations of weapons, making incremental progress on your blueprints, finding new ways to deal with enemies, etc. If you're save-scumming the game replaying the final boss over and over, you miss a huge chunk of that, and the eventual victory wont be nearly as satisfying.

I mean, it's your game, you should play however you want. I'm just saying: the game is designed this way for a reason. Finishing it "honest" is a much richer experience.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@gkhan: I don’t know, having to re-run the entire castle to get another try at a boss is rough, especially if you die to that boss in a few seconds and learn nothing. Some love it, for me I started to burn out hard on having to do the entire run again because the levels just aren’t that interesting and quite frankly neither are the weapons.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@humanity: Isnt that most rogue-likes though ;p

I'm not going to shame someone for save scumming (i'm not a monster) but I will say if you're not enjoying doing runs of the game anymore maybe stop playing it? It's not like it's a story based game that you need to see through to the end. You could also come back to it at some point and it would feel new again. I did this with Rogue Legacy a few years ago and Galak Z recently. (that one got patched to be easier though)

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't that kinda defeat the whole point of the game? I've fought the Hand 3 times and I don't feel its impossible, I've got closer and closer every time.

Look I get that restarting every time can get old, but it doesn't take THAT long to get back to where you were (roughly an hour, give or take a few)

I haven't touched it in a week or so, but thats only because another game has pulled me away. I'm going to NYCC this week, so I will be putting some more time into it while in the airport.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

@boozak: yah I found out that it’s not for me. Ironically Dead Cells for me was what people say about Hollow Knight - it’s a game I really wanted to like but just didn’t. The animation is great and the combat is fluid but for me personally the entire game feels like a chore after a while. Of course I get that this is what people want out of this genre and it’s just not for me, so the save scumming was just a compromise. I like progressing forward and I don’t have all that much free time to do 4-5 runs a night but I do want to “finish it” so I’m a scummer.

Avatar image for terminallychill
    terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By terminallychill

I'm with Humanity on this one. I get where you guys are coming from, but my issue is that I feel the game is imbalanced. I beat the Concierge and the Clock tower boss every single time and then I'd fumble at the Hand of the King and have to spend another 55 minutes getting there. I don't feel challenged until the castle biome, and I always clear that too, but I still wanted to "finish the game" also.

Meanwhile I have Into the Breach, Cave Story, Cpt. Toad, Owl Boy and Bayonetta all sitting on my switch glaring at me, not to mention homework and ps4 games, so I would rather play more of those than sit here doing Dead Cells "honestly". Not that I have a problem with those who do, but if I wanted to play more of the early stuff I'd rather see if I found it more fun on hard mode first.

I know this is an age-old debate but I will liken it to this: in Bloodborne a run to the boss took a few minutes tops. I still save scummed in that game to save time having to farm for blood vials, but that was merely a convenience thing, I still beat the chalice dungeons and logged 90+ hours, so I don't feel any less accomplished.

Either way, I'm not trying to make anyone do this, per-se, I just wanted to let you duders know the option is available on Switch now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.