Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Finished Dead Space, looking forward to continuing Isaac's story.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

Roughly eleven hours later, and I have completed Dead Space for a second time. This time, I played it through on hard, because I wanted a challenge and wanted to regain the feeling of creepiness and tense-ness I felt the first time I played it through. There is definitely a higher emphasis on inventory management and health, and Isaac can only take a small handful of hits before death, (though this does increase a bit when you upgrade your hit points). There was only one spot where I completely ran out of money, health, power nodes and ammunition, (the second time you go through the main deck with the ship controls, the giant glass room), and I had to go down the elevator, so I bought supplies with everything I had. There were two guardians that ate up all of ammunition, plus some some other necromorphs that proved to be a challenge, so I had to get a bit creative with a combination of running, stasis and stomping, but a few resets and I was able to do okay. 

Regardless, this game is still fantastic. It has a lot of really great creepy and tense scares throughout the beginning, and can definitely ramp up the action to the level of other third person shooters when needed in some areas. The lighting and sound design are still incredible. Anytime I'd hear loud ship creaks, I would immediately check all sides and scan the room to be sure something wasn't about to pounce on me. 

The thing that makes this game successful, is you are never out of control of Isaac. They keep you locked into that third person perspective and throw cutscenes out of the window, (except for the very end), and it works to surprising effect. In this regard, the game feels a bit like a throwback not just in level design, controlling and action, but in the overall presentation. This is not a bad thing whatsoever. If anything, it proves, that taking this route to game design is still something that is entirely possible and can be met with general praise. 

So, I felt for Isaac at the very end, and sad for him considering all of the shit he was just thrown into. I am incredibly eager to continue Isaac's story, but because at some point, I'd like to see him get closure and peace. Isaac was simply a deep space miner on a routine mission, and when all is said and done, this mission entirely destroyed his life. 

So, I'll be picking up Dead Space 2 tomorrow, provided I get everything done as I need. I will update this topic if I see fit once I start playing.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Afroman269

You'll definitely like Dead Space 2. You'll also like the nice reference in the ending sequence.

Ichorid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Ichorid4

I'm looking forward to Dead Space 3 now. 

Poor Isaac- it seems like he could be the new Ripley. One encounter with bizarro monsters after another until he ends up killing himself in some matyred exhibition when he can't take it anymore.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iDarktread

I just finished Dead Space this week first the first time, on Normal, and the ending absolutely made me smile. I'm looking forward to Dead Space 2, but I'll have to wait a little while as there are other games I still need to finish.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Malakhii
    @Afroman269 said:
    " You'll definitely like Dead Space 2. You'll also like the nice reference in the ending sequence. "
    It was truly glorious, easily one of the highlights of the game. 
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm
    @Malakhii said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    " You'll definitely like Dead Space 2. You'll also like the nice reference in the ending sequence. "
    It was truly glorious, easily one of the highlights of the game.  "
    This has me excited greatly. 

I picked up my copy today. Now, I am just waiting for the sun to go down before I continue Isaac's journey.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Akeldama
    @Afroman269 said:
    Best cherry on top of a game I have seen in so long

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.