Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Dead Space With A Wiimote? Already Done!

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

Among EA's stack of announcements out of its earnings conference call yesterday, you may have noticed plans to release the excellent Dead Space for the Wii. I'm a little confused about this port, because almost all of the people who would play Dead Space in the first place don't play games only on the Wii--and they either already played the game on the X360 or PS3, or they should play it on one of those.

Then again, perhaps the investment of development resources is relatively low given the payoff of putting the game out on the console with the highest installed base. Can't blame them for casting a wide net when the game is so good.

Anyhow, if you're curious about how the forthcoming Wii port might play (but not how it will look), MTV Multiplayer's sultan of swing Patrick Klepek dug up a YouTube video of a guy who is using his Wii remote as a Bluetooth device to play the PC version of Dead Space. Observe.

Control-wise, that actually looks pretty good, especially considering this is just a hack and not a final Wii product. Jury will remain out on how Dead Space's lavish visuals will translate to the lesser Wii, but this looks like a good start.

Do you have any interest in playing--or revisiting--Dead Space with a Wii remote?
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

Among EA's stack of announcements out of its earnings conference call yesterday, you may have noticed plans to release the excellent Dead Space for the Wii. I'm a little confused about this port, because almost all of the people who would play Dead Space in the first place don't play games only on the Wii--and they either already played the game on the X360 or PS3, or they should play it on one of those.

Then again, perhaps the investment of development resources is relatively low given the payoff of putting the game out on the console with the highest installed base. Can't blame them for casting a wide net when the game is so good.

Anyhow, if you're curious about how the forthcoming Wii port might play (but not how it will look), MTV Multiplayer's sultan of swing Patrick Klepek dug up a YouTube video of a guy who is using his Wii remote as a Bluetooth device to play the PC version of Dead Space. Observe.

Control-wise, that actually looks pretty good, especially considering this is just a hack and not a final Wii product. Jury will remain out on how Dead Space's lavish visuals will translate to the lesser Wii, but this looks like a good start.

Do you have any interest in playing--or revisiting--Dead Space with a Wii remote?
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zityz

Here's hoping the actual wii version has good controls

miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By miningguyx360

This will make me buy dead space for the pc

totaly worth it if you get the hand of it
    dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By dtran1212

an awesome game like Dead Space don't deserve to be on the Wii

norton123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By norton123

No thanks. I'll stick with my 360.

ybouc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ybouc

As long as the game is a variation-on-a-theme that suits the Wii well, I'm all for it.  (but DAMN YOU Nintendo for not making the Wii HD ! )

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7  Edited By mrhankey

You know, i don't think would make me revisit Dead Space....mainly because i got bored of Dead Space and quit playing after Ch 6...i'm sorry it was too predictable

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By masternater27

If it's a campion piece, yes.  A port, dead rising style, no.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

Dude...

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#10  Edited By strangeling

@dtran1212

You doesn't deserve to play an awesome game like Dead Space.

I'll probably pick it up for PC eventually.  By the time it's released on the Wii for $50, I'll probably be able to get the PC version for $30 or lower.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hatking

The game was pretty dang good, but it isn't exactly build for the Wii...I just know they aren't going to transfer as smoothly as this guy did.  The graphics, a very strong point of Dead Space, will be loss.

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

One thing the game will lose in transition is some of the atmosphere with the loss of 5.1 surround sound.

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By InFamous91

Wow....pretty cool

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Systech

Hehe, apparently the PC is a better Wii than the Wii itself.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Black_Rose
    Brad said:
    "Do you have any interest in playing--or revisiting--Dead Space with a Wii remote?"
    Yes
    MetalRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MetalRocker

I support the Wii but, some games are just not meant for it, Dead Space is one of those games.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Brad said:
    "almost all of the people who would play Dead Space in the first place don't play games only on the Wii--and they either already played the game on the X360 or PS3, or they should play it on one of those.
    May not play games only on Wii, but I am picking Dead Space on Wii over Xbox.
    Wii controls are better than HD visuals to me when they're so applicable.
    Light_Bahamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Light_Bahamut

I think it's amusing that this guy's a big enough dork to figure out how to use his Wii remote as a mouse, but doesn't know how to capture video from his PC.

Lumieres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lumieres
    ybouc said:
    "As long as the game is a variation-on-a-theme that suits the Wii well, I'm all for it.  (but DAMN YOU Nintendo for not making the Wii HD ! )"
    You know,

You can buy special HD Wii compatible colour cords, to make the Wii work with HDTVs. (Sorry, don't really know the right term for those cords, but you know.. the colour cord thingies that go from into the console to your TV)

I personally would/do prefer the standard 360 controller, a game like this might be awkward using the Wii Remote. Although I own both the 360, and the Wii, so I may buy yet another copy of Dead Space for the Wii whenever it's released, just to check it out. ;)
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#20  Edited By strangeling

@ Light_Bahamut

If he just captured the video, there'd be no proof he was using the Wii remote.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

Dead Space was rock solid as a game. +

I loved the Wii version of RE 4. =

I would buy with the hype, but after a few days to let it sink in... I'm now waiting to see.

I still can see me playing it.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By ArcBorealis

I'm glad EA is bringing their other IPs to the Wii, but hopefully, not only do the controls get nailed and work well, but the game isn't a direct port, but is instead like a side story of sorts. Just making a direct port is near suicide.

Please, let this be a good one.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JoelTGM

looks like that thing works better there than on an actual Wii.  mine jitters all over the place.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stephengotlost

Dead Space is great, but the mouse control on the PC is superfluous as the horizontal turning speed is much higher than the vertical turning speed, like aiming with thumbsticks. Also, there is no easy way to plug in a controller and play as the button layout is all over the place. Furthermore, only half the button configuration is customizable when using a gamepad.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Black_Rose said:
    "Brad said:
    "Do you have any interest in playing--or revisiting--Dead Space with a Wii remote?"
    Yes"

Yes, and I already have the PC version.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By DrRandle

I would certainly play it, I don't care if the graphics are downed. I still go back to RE4 Wii Edition, because it's the best version out there. Granted RE4 Never looked that good, but the point remains, that it just plain works, in my opinion, to play with those controls.

Speaking of which, I kind of want to see RE5 get the Dead Space Treatement for Wii, because, again, better controls.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox

Dead Space on PC already feels floaty as fuck when using a mouse. Thumbsticks work fine, but the wii-mote would be worse than the mouse on PC. Also this dude's lisp gets on my nerves. Yes I'm a negative jerk.

@stephengotlost: Try using a 360 controller. The controls are very obviously designed for current gen controllers.

@those who are analogizing it to RE4:Wii. RE4's controls on WII are a vast improvement because RE's controls suck massively in the first place. Dead Spaces, however, were very good with regular controllers to begin with. You cannot expect the same leap.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By keyhunter

It better come with a minigame compilation!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks
    MrKlorox said:
    "Dead Space on PC already feels floaty as fuck when using a mouse. Thumbsticks work fine, but the wii-mote would be worse than the mouse on PC. Also this dude's lisp gets on my nerves. Yes I'm a negative jerk.

@stephengotlost: Try using a 360 controller. The controls are very obviously designed for current gen controllers.

@those who are analogizing it to RE4:Wii. RE4's controls on WII are a vast improvement because RE's controls suck massively in the first place. Dead Spaces, however, were very good with regular controllers to begin with. You cannot expect the same leap."

I never found it to feel floaty at all myself.  Maybe I have my Razer DeathAdder's mouse settings tuned perfectly for it.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Stevokenevo

Its certainly not a bad idea, but having already bought and played it on the PC theres no way i would get it on the Wii.  I guess they must be marketing it towards people who havent got a PC, 360 or PS3, all twelve of them.

However come to think of it, theres plenty of people i know at work who only play the wii.....damn them.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Stevokenevo

The controls on the pc are 'floaty' to suit the gamestyle / gameplay.  It took me a few minutes to get used to it, but the idea is you are in a massive engineering suit that restricts agility.  Being able to aim and move as quick as a game like Far Cry 2 for instance would have been out of place in Deadspace.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kohe321

I highly doubt I'll be playing deadspace on the wii...

GeekyDad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By GeekyDad

Very cool. If he can tweak it to work with the Wii Remote so quickly, then there's little reason why EA can't get this game to work on par with RE4 (Wii Edition).

Visuals? Meh...they can make it work. Half-Life 2 still holds up, in my opinion, and if they can get it up to a level that's something along those lines, I'll be greatly pleased.

Very much looking forward to the final product (from EA).

acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By acsguitar

Hey everyone. that's my video. And yes I am a dork. I could've used FRAPS but considering the massive size fraps usually records in and the fact that I didn't really care that much (and you couldn't see the wiimote otherwise) I just used my  n95.

Anyways here's the location of the script:

http://www.wiili.org/forum/glovepie-wii-mote-scripts-t360-s378.html

Its under the post by acsguitar (thats me).

Enjoy you'll need glovepie and a bluetooth adapter ( i think I used blue soleil)

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Media_Master

me too

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PJ

It looks okey, a bit loose but that can be fixed in the settings like the dude said. Dont think that the game will look that great since its a really dark game whit real small details that really make the game creappy and i think that by sacrofysing the visual quallity it wont be as athmospheric. And since EA(the same goes for every othe company out there too, not just EA) isnte really known to put alot of polish into Wii games then i dont think it will look as good as it could.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Snail

Oh. So no need for a Wii game! Right? Right??!?!?

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mthe1337one

idk...there's a slim chance dead space wii could be good ONLY if they use the same graphics engine that's currently powering The Conduit.

even for a Wii game, The Conduit looks amazing and props to High Voltage for developing the engine.  the guys working on Dead Space wii need to get their hands on it.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive

lol good find. nice. 

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By RHCPfan24

interesting vid. I hope the graphics and sound hold up, as that was one of the game's strong suits. I am interested in this idea, I must say.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By jakob187

I'm fucking ready.  Bring that shit!!!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By Claude
    acsguitar said:
    "Hey everyone. that's my video. And yes I am a dork. I could've used FRAPS but considering the massive size fraps usually records in and the fact that I didn't really care that much (and you couldn't see the wiimote otherwise) I just used my  n95.

Anyways here's the location of the script:

http://www.wiili.org/forum/glovepie-wii-mote-scripts-t360-s378.html

Its under the post by acsguitar (thats me).

Enjoy you'll need glovepie and a bluetooth adapter ( i think I used blue soleil)"

Dude, you're a Superdork, that makes you a hero.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.