Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Welcome Back to Greenvale: Revisiting Deadly Premonition

Nomad175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Nomad175

(all images are downloaded from the Welcome to Greenvale website [greenvale.shshatteredmemories.com])

The awesome Japanese title for the game.
    The awesome Japanese title for the game.

Deadly Premonition is one of my favorite games of all time. It's a bizarre and wonderful trip into the lumber areas of the Pacific Northwest, blending an American setting with Japanese sensibilities. The game's writer and director, SWERY, created a truly unique game. And I do mean truly unique.

The game was actually originally revealed at TGS 2007, under the title Rainy Woods, with a different protagonist: David Young Henning, who would later become the protagonist of SWERY's next game, D4. The game was destined to spend the next three or so years being reworked, since certain scenes in its trailer (namely, the appearance of two little people) bore a certain resemblance to Twin Peaks, and for legal reasons necessitated a reworking of the game.

I bring this up because many people say the game is a Twin Peaks rip-off, which I think is unfair and ignores how different the game is from Twin Peaks. While it undoubtedly draws heavily from Twin Peaks, with its Pacific Northwest setting, the story starting with the murder of a popular high-schooler, and a cast made up of idiosyncratic characters, the stories are fundamentally different, not only in how they play out but in how they're structured. Twin Peaks is self-consciously a soap opera, with its focus splitting between many characters and storylines which build up at least one cliffhanger every episode. Deadly Premonition, by contrast, is more a character study, its focus mostly limited to its protagonist: FBI Special Agent Francis Morgan.

FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan
    FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan

One of the best parts of the Director's Cut is how it emphasizes the fact that the game's story is based around Morgan's perception of events more than the literal events themselves; while that idea was already present in the original game, the use of Morgan telling the game's events to his granddaughter as a framing device changes this from a subtext to part of the main text, making it much easier to pick up on, which, in turn, makes the game's biggest twist much more understandable than it may have been for people originally.

It also helps that Agent Morgan is one of the best protagonists in video games. He's a genuinely interesting, quirky character; "quirky" has sort of become a dirty word for protagonists, since it usually connotes a "wacky" character who tries way too hard to be weird, but that's really not the case here. The game's writing and acting is done in such a way that, even at his most off-putting, he feels human and understandable.

Harry Stewart and his assistant Michael
    Harry Stewart and his assistant Michael

It helps that Agent Morgan has a wonderful supporting cast. At first appearance, the cast seems like a bizarre collection of archetypes and weirdos, but over time they develop into one of the most well-developed casts in video games. While I personally feel certain characters could have been handled better/with more sensitivity (Thomas), overall the characters are very well done. My personal favorites are Keith, the rock-loving cashier of The Milk Barn, the local convenience store, and Lilly, the store's owner and Keith's eternally-patient wife.

The game's at its best when you're interacting with these characters and learning more about parts of the world, whether it's the history of the town, its inhabitants, or Agent Morgan himself. The interactions between characters are incredibly engaging, and vary between hilarious and disturbing. Also interesting are the "profiling" sections, gameplay sections in which you gather evidence and see Agent Morgan mentally reconstruct the crime.

The game is at its weakest when it comes to combat; the combat was basically a last-minute addition (although the degree to which it was last-minute is usually overstated) and it shows. Also weak are the driving sequences, which are often very long and eventually York, who often times talks about movies, runs out of things to talk about while driving, meaning you have to wait until the next chapter to get anything more from him while driving.

However, despite its shortcomings, Deadly Premonition is overall a great game. It holds a special place in my heart for being the first game I experienced to make me realize how good the story and characters in a game can be, and I think that even now it's still severely underappreciated.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

DP led me to watching Twin Peaks, so that's alright.

The soundtrack had some surprising highs. I remember when After the Rain hit, and it added so much to its scene.

Man, I should really finish D4.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Nice write up. Interestingly enough, I finished watching the Vinny/Jeff ER of the game last week and decided that it is time for me to finally play the game myself, and not through someone elses eyes/movements. Things I'm noticing is god dammit do I wish the crew played some of the side missions, there is a lot of depth to the characters than I ever realized, and how deep the corruption of the red seeds has sunk into the community. Also many moments of learning more about characters (like the Emily cooking missions) just make the game more worth while and helps build toward the conclusion that I know is coming. It's by far a perfect game but I just can't help thinking that it does things that no other games have done (at least that I've played) and thats really unfortunate.

I actually like the driving in the game as well. It controls terribly, but, again, the game wants/forces you to learn it, become familiar with it. I'm getting to the point where I know exactly where I need to go around the city and that is awesome. Honestly if the map wasn't so completely fucking useless (even in the DC version its still garbage) I would have little to no problems with the driving. Helps that the upgrades make it by far a more enjoyable experience. Breaking is garbage and has fucked me over on the last Sigourney drive several times now...

Anywho, my two cents from playing the game for the first time officially in the 12 hours I've put in it so far.

@csl316 Yes, yes you should. Really hope either D4 or DP get some form a sequel in the future in my life time.

happy_chickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By happy_chickens

Upon finishing Deadly Premonition back in the day on the 360 it instantly went onto my top 5 games of all time. The story and characters are amazing, and I truly love Swery's style. It lead me to some of his other games which I now love as well, Spy Fiction, Lord or Arcana, and of Course D4. I own multiple copies of this game, I seriously think it may be my favorite game of all time.

@nightriff and @csl316 Swery is actually currently on leave from game development for health reasons, so we may not get any sequels anytime soon. I honestly love the idea of DP never getting a sequel and being it's own thing. You guys should follow him on instagram and twitter, he responds to fans all the time including your's truly.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Deadly Premonition is probably the greatest slightly janky game I've ever played, and to think I might never have given it a second chance were it not for watching a couple of videos - Vinny & Jeff's ER and Jim Sterling's semi-playthrough.

I bought the game initially on 360 and wrote it off as a bad RE4 clone on the basis of the opening section. Traded the game, went on with my life.

Then I watched the videos and immediately bought the game again, this time the PS3 Director's Cut, finishing the game before going back to the ER. Then the PC version got released and I went through it all again...

It's kooky but it's also incredibly sincere.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This past weekend I started re-watching the the Endurance Run done by Jeff and Vinny. That is the one thing I do miss with the current website, they probably don't have the time to do an Endurance Run.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.