Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Def Jam Rapstar

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Grab the mic and prove you got swagger in this hip-hop-focused music game from 4mm Games and Terminal Reality.

Rep Your Soil, Rap Your Heart Out In Def Jam Rapstar

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    You'll be able to perform the songs with one or two players.
    Attempts to bring rapping to game consoles in karaoke form have, to this point, either been completely half-assed or relegated to one or two tracks tossed into a more traditional rhythm game. 4mm Games and Terminal Reality are out to change that with Def Jam Rapstar. I got a chance to see it in action, and it looks pretty promising.

The big problem with rapping in a karaoke game is that all the vocal-based rhythm games out there are more interest in your pitch than your cadence or ability to shout rhymes. You could just hum into the mic in most cases and still do OK. Rapstar will use phoneme detection to attempt to figure out exactly what you're saying and when while multiple difficulty settings will determine how harshly the game treats you when you start screwing up. I performed a couple of tracks and it seems to work pretty well.

There's more to Rapstar than just performing the songs. Much like Sony's PS3 SingStar games, this game will let you record and share clips of your performances. The clips can be up to 30 seconds long, and they can be viewed on the game's website. Players will be able to organize geographically and represent their neighborhood. Clips can be rated, and when your scores are beaten, the game can drop you an e-mail to let you know it's time to get back in and play.

Your videos can go up raw, or you can change them up by adding graphical flourishes, like putting a crowd in the foreground or replacing the background with a beach or something like that. You'll have to scan the background to get that working, and it seems sort of like the same sketchy technology used in stuff like You're In The Movies. Still, the game's pretty early, so hopefully this aspect will get better over time.

Of course, a rhythm game is only as good as its music, really. The version 4mm Games is showing off has eight different tracks in it, and it included songs from T.I., Flo Rida, Notorious BIG, Kanye West, Young Jeezy, and the duo of Pete Rock & CL Smooth. It sounds like the goal is to span every era in hip-hop history, both in the game's on-disc soundtrack and in the planned downloadable content. Also, it's worth noting that the songs we saw were shown in their radio edited form. While they're shooting for a T rating, it also sounds like 4mm Games is at least considering the release of a separate, uncensored version of the game. Personally, I think that's totally key.

The guys at 4mm Games and Terminal Reality seem pretty focused on Def Jam Rapstar and have some interesting takes on existing ideas in the karaoke video game world. With the right soundtrack and continued post-release support in the form of additional songs, this could be a big deal. It's scheduled for release this winter.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Attempts to bring rapping to game consoles in karaoke form have, to this point, either been completely half-assed or relegated to one or two tracks tossed into a more traditional rhythm game. 4mm Games and Terminal Reality are out to change that with Def Jam Rapstar. I got a chance to see it in action, and it looks pretty promising.

The big problem with rapping in a karaoke game is that all the vocal-based rhythm games out there are more interest in your pitch than your cadence or ability to shout rhymes. You could just hum into the mic in most cases and still do OK. Rapstar will use phoneme detection to attempt to figure out exactly what you're saying and when while multiple difficulty settings will determine how harshly the game treats you when you start screwing up. I performed a couple of tracks and it seems to work pretty well.

There's more to Rapstar than just performing the songs. Much like Sony's PS3 SingStar games, this game will let you record and share clips of your performances. The clips can be up to 30 seconds long, and they can be viewed on the game's website. Players will be able to organize geographically and represent their neighborhood. Clips can be rated, and when your scores are beaten, the game can drop you an e-mail to let you know it's time to get back in and play.

Your videos can go up raw, or you can change them up by adding graphical flourishes, like putting a crowd in the foreground or replacing the background with a beach or something like that. You'll have to scan the background to get that working, and it seems sort of like the same sketchy technology used in stuff like You're In The Movies. Still, the game's pretty early, so hopefully this aspect will get better over time.

Of course, a rhythm game is only as good as its music, really. The version 4mm Games is showing off has eight different tracks in it, and it included songs from T.I., Flo Rida, Notorious BIG, Kanye West, Young Jeezy, and the duo of Pete Rock & CL Smooth. It sounds like the goal is to span every era in hip-hop history, both in the game's on-disc soundtrack and in the planned downloadable content. Also, it's worth noting that the songs we saw were shown in their radio edited form. While they're shooting for a T rating, it also sounds like 4mm Games is at least considering the release of a separate, uncensored version of the game. Personally, I think that's totally key.

The guys at 4mm Games and Terminal Reality seem pretty focused on Def Jam Rapstar and have some interesting takes on existing ideas in the karaoke video game world. With the right soundtrack and continued post-release support in the form of additional songs, this could be a big deal. It's scheduled for release this winter.
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jNerd

REPPIN DAT 303!

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By solidlife

Hope its good.

MiLeSu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MiLeSu

Can't wait to see Jeff bust some beats in this!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

I will definitely be getting this if the line up remains strong in the final game.

@MiLeSu said:
    " Can't wait to see Jeff bust some beats in this! "

He shows some skills here:

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Reuben

I like the "TIGHT" subtitle for the score haha. The game could be good, It would be cool to have a fun rap game.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By raidingkvatch

Hmm, looking pretty interesting, hopefully it'll turn out pretty well

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man when i first heard of this I thought i was finally going to get the Def Jam Rap Battle game I so dreamed of, with the music control aspects of Icon with two cats duking it out with their rhythms rather than their fists, but instead we get a karaoke game... hmm, maybe.

Foggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Foggen

I will totally play this game if and only if there's West Side Connection to be had.  But that's because Bow Down is somehow a weird cultural touchstone of my youth.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cc23574

Word yo, I gonna get this so I can spit some funky-ass freestyles yo! Jay-Jaaay!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Could be cool, but it NEEDS to be unedited.

Lydian_Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lydian_Sel

This game will be great ONLY if "Big Baby Jesus" by Ol' Dirty Bastard is one of the tracks.

Poki3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Poki3

I'm very disappointed. I want a "Fight for New York" like beatemup, but a karaoke game! me and my friends had a great time with that game, and after the huge disappointment that was Icon we just got a kick in the balls...

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

I wish we (rather the ESRB/console manufacturers) could get to the point of releasing multiple rating support on a single game copy. You should be able to turn off swearing like you can turn off gore in many games.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By ocdog45

stupid as shit!!

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Sounds fine but I will never rap karaoke style, and I imagine hardly any other white dudes will.   I love hip-hop but it's just not something I'm trying to do.  It's just asking for trouble.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By End_Boss

This just in: virtual rap hoods meet up in real life and shoot the shit out of each other.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Media_Master

not interested

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tuggah
    @End_Boss: Of course because they were suburban white kids, it was only air-soft guns and a water balloon. No one was injured.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.