Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Friend's Ring & Foe Ring On First Run?

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rm082e

Picked up the game a few weeks ago and I'm hooked. Determined to platinum the game, so I have a question:

Is there anything that prevents you from getting the Foe's Ring and the Friend Ring on the same run? So frar, I've beaten 1-1, 1-2, and all of Shrine of Storms. I never died in body form so I got both worlds up to PWWT. I stumbled into Satsuki and Miralda without realizing what I was doing, thus completing the PWWT events for those two worlds. Since I finished Shrine of Storms and all that's left there is farming, I suicided to PBWT and now I can fight Black Phantom Satsuki. I plan to do the same for Boletaria Palace once I get through 1-3 and 1-4. That should let me fight Black Phantom Miralda. 

Then if I do the same thing in the other three worlds - get PWWT by not dying and killing bosses, do the PWWT events, then suicide to PBWT and kill the Black Phantom NPCs, that should get me to PWCT. I should then be able to get the Friend's Ring, right? If I then kill all the vendors in all the levels (not the Nexus) that should take me down to PBCT and Mephistopheles should show up and I can kill Yuria to get the Foe's Ring, right?

If I manipulate the WT events correctly, I'm not seeing anything that would prevent me from getting both rings on my first run. I'd rather do all this stuff now so I don't have to mess with it in NG+.
    Filthy_Man_DF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Filthy_Man_DF

Why do you want to PWWT all the worlds?  As far as rings go, 3-2 is the only world where u need PWWT to get a ring.

fake edit: You  might be going for the unique weapons (that require PWWT) in ur first run, but idk. As for PWWT, killing NPC's who are not Black phantoms (besides Satsuki & Miralda) will darken ur Character tendancy, which is a bad idea , since its much easier to first get PWCT, and then go for PBCT.

Regarding the 1st question in ur 2nd paragraph, you're correct.  Although you can only get the Friend's ring if  u've replied "YES"  to the Monumental (during the first encounter) & of course have PWCT.

As for killing all the vendors, just be sure u do it at the very end of the game (basically after you've obtained as many souls as possible). Vendors are more important than the rings  IMO, since they're vital for getting certain weapons trophies. They basically sell the material to fully upgrade certain weapons, which will cost well over 200,000 souls.

Don't bother killing yourself to fight BP Miralda. Just invade and kill someone for PBCT.  Suicide somewhere where a Black Phantom actually drops something of value (for a trophy).

The two rings on the first run can be done, but if that's all u care about, then you'd be missing a huge opportunity to get the Unique weapons. You'd be creating a MUCH bigger hassle for ur NG+ playthrough.

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rm082e

Yeah I'm trying to get as much done on the first run as I can. That's why I'm trying to turn the worlds PW first - so I can get all the unique stuff that pops up from having PWWT. Once I've beaten the world and done the PWWT events, I figured suiciding multiple times to get PBWT will open up that stuff to do as well (including the Black Phantom NPCs). It just seems that adjusting your Character Tendency is harder than World Tendency, so I want to be sure to get that part right.

Really the toughest challenge looks like it will be killing all the Pure Black phantom NPCs to get PWCT. I tried fighting Black Phantom Satsuki this morning and he took me out in just a couple of seconds.
    Filthy_Man_DF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Filthy_Man_DF

Sucks about hearing you fight BP Satsuki. I was just about to type a message warning you to not get PBWT in that world. You  missed a chance to get the Makoto (correct me if im wrong). You already had PWWT, so if you went to 4-2 after talking to Satsuki, you would have found the Makoto. Got to wait for NG+ now. When you go back to ShrineOS, be sure to kill BP Satsuki AND the Primevil demon. That way you won't have to kill that many bosses on NG+ to get PWWT.

Never fought BP Satsuki, but as for BP NPCs, they can definitely be hard.Schriver the Wanderer is the hardest, since you can't run far away, and then sneak up on him when his back is turned. You might be able to use that tactic with Satsuki. Basically Schriver and Selena are the hardest, since that tactic doesn't work on them.

Filthy_Man_DF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Filthy_Man_DF

I got the gold trophies last month, so here are the unique weapons that require a specific World Tendancy:

PWWT: Bramd, 5-3 // Istarelle, 5-1 // Makoto, 4-2 // Dragon Bone Smasher, 2-3 //  Dull Rat's Ring, 3-2 (ring is in 3-1, but key for the cell is in 3-2 during PWWT)
    PBWT: Blind, 5-2 // Talisman of Beasts, 2-2 (or kill Ostrava for Meristopheles) // Posphorus Pole, 3-1

I'd go for: PWWT weapons, Friend's Ring, PBWT weapons, Foe's Ring. In that order.

Before killing any Vendors:  buy however many Shards/Stones you need, upgrade what you can (but don't fuse any weapons with Boss Demon's Souls till NG+), and NEVER give Blacksmith Ed your Red Hot Demon Soul on your 1st run (wait till NG+).

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Karkarov

It is possible to get all pure black CT events, all pure white CT events, and all rings in one game.  It is really really complicated though.  If you really want to try it I would advise looking it up in a guide.  However.... if you have already started you can probably forget about it.  No matter what you do it takes a minimum 4 playthroughs to platinum the game anyway so don't get too hung up on it.

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rm082e
    @Filthy_Man_DF said:
    " Sucks about hearing you fight BP Satsuki. I was just about to type a message warning you to not get PBWT in that world. You  missed a chance to get the Makoto (correct me if im wrong). You already had PWWT, so if you went to 4-2 after talking to Satsuki, you would have found the Makoto. Got to wait for NG+ now. When you go back to ShrineOS, be sure to kill BP Satsuki AND the Primevil demon. That way you won't have to kill that many bosses on NG+ to get PWWT.Never fought BP Satsuki, but as for BP NPCs, they can definitely be hard.Schriver the Wanderer is the hardest, since you can't run far away, and then sneak up on him when his back is turned. You might be able to use that tactic with Satsuki. Basically Schriver and Selena are the hardest, since that tactic doesn't work on them. "
    Oh no, I got it. I found the sword and had Stockpile hold onto it for me while I finished up that world. Once I went and talked to him, I went back to the Nexus, got it, went back to him thinking he would trade me a sweet item for it or something. Then he tried to kill me, so I defended myself and took him out. Got the sword back and then checked a FAQ to find out what happened. I missed getting Hitless from him, but I can get one from the Slug pool right before the Old Hero archstone. I'll go back and pick that up soon before I beat the game.

I've already upgraded Makoto a bit using Colorless Demon Souls and it's my main sword now.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Grissefar

Protip: You do not, I repeat, do NOT  want to get the Foe's ring in the first run if you're going for platinum.

You're going to reach at least NG+++ for platinum so it's best to save Foe's ring to last. The reason? PWWT + PWCT = You deal 40% more damage and enemies have 20% less hp. You want to keep your PWCT as long as possible since it's hard to go back to PWCT and easy enough to do the Mephistopheles quest last. Also remember: if you kill the NPCs with soulsucker, poison cloud or by fall, your CT does not change. That can be either good or bad depending on what you want.

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rm082e

So wait, WT and CT both carry over to the next game? I thought WT was reset from one run to the next along with NPCs you killed in previous runs returning?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Grissefar
    @rm082e said:

" So wait, WT and CT both carry over to the next game? I thought WT was reset from one run to the next along with NPCs you killed in previous runs returning? "

NPCs return but both WT and CT carry over. That's why it can also be good to go Black -> White instead of the other way around. PBWT -> kill black phantom and primeval demon without returning to nexus (you are allowed to die, not in body form) -> kill 1 boss (2 in world 1) and that way you end up with PWWT so you can start at PWWT in the next cycle instead of neutral.

It can be more of a hassle (mostly on world 3, where you can only go from 3-1 to 3-2 once) but it can also help a lot and you don't have to use 7 stones of ephemeral eyes for each world.
    rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rm082e

Hmmm. That could be a problem then. I already forced the Shrine of Storms to PBWT. The other worlds are in various states between neutral and White/Pure White. I'll finish out the game and do all that I can. If I do have to start a fresh character, at least I had fun with this run and I can get most of the trophies out of the way. On the other hand, it might be a nice challenge to go into NG+ with PBWT. I'm already over-leveled and I've been walking through the last few levels with no deaths...

Anyway, thanks for the info. :)
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Grissefar
    @rm082e said:
    " Hmmm. That could be a problem then. I already forced the Shrine of Storms to PBWT. The other worlds are in various states between neutral and White/Pure White. I'll finish out the game and do all that I can. If I do have to start a fresh character, at least I had fun with this run and I can get most of the trophies out of the way. On the other hand, it might be a nice challenge to go into NG+ with PBWT. I'm already over-leveled and I've been walking through the last few levels with no deaths...

Anyway, thanks for the info. :)
    "
    Don't worry, as long as you kill the BP, the world will return to neutral.
    rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rm082e

Yeah, found that out last night. I should be good to go pushing all worlds to black and then killing the BPs. I'll be sure to do all the PWWT stuff first, but Neutral WT won't be a problem.

Almost done with the game. I've got to finish up 3-2 and the rest of that world, then all the WT stuff and a little weapon upgrading. Past that it's just 1-4 and the final boss I think. 
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karkarov
    @rm082e said:
    " Yeah, found that out last night. I should be good to go pushing all worlds to black and then killing the BPs. I'll be sure to do all the PWWT stuff first, but Neutral WT won't be a problem.

Almost done with the game. I've got to finish up 3-2 and the rest of that world, then all the WT stuff and a little weapon upgrading. Past that it's just 1-4 and the final boss I think. 
    "
    If you are going to do that push them pure black and kill the primevals too.  They give just as much of a white WT boost as killing named BP's do.
    kms_md

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By kms_md

@Filthy_Man_DF said:

Sucks about hearing you fight BP Satsuki. I was just about to type a message warning you to not get PBWT in that world. You missed a chance to get the Makoto (correct me if im wrong). You already had PWWT, so if you went to 4-2 after talking to Satsuki, you would have found the Makoto. Got to wait for NG+ now. When you go back to ShrineOS, be sure to kill BP Satsuki AND the Primevil demon. That way you won't have to kill that many bosses on NG+ to get PWWT.Never fought BP Satsuki, but as for BP NPCs, they can definitely be hard.Schriver the Wanderer is the hardest, since you can't run far away, and then sneak up on him when his back is turned. You might be able to use that tactic with Satsuki. Basically Schriver and Selena are the hardest, since that tactic doesn't work on them.

If you have a decent bow, you can shoot a Scirvir from across the pit. There is a platform almost directly across from the cave opening. If you position yourself there, you can snipe him and (IIRC) he will not shoot back. I do not remember if you are close enough to lock on a spell (like poison) from that distance.

I think you can kill (or wear down) Selena from the other side of the barrier with a bow. If you have Soulsucker and a Grave Robber's ring, you can walk up behind her and cast the spell.

My hardest BP is Rydell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.