Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

How come I've never thought of this: Is the name incorrect?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunExplosions

After seeing how hilarious the English translations were in the Dark Souls quick look, my mind jumped to the name of Dark Souls' spiritual predecessor, Demon's Souls. Then I got thinking... is the name wrong?

1. Demon Souls would imply that there are souls which are demonic.

2. Demons Souls is incorrect grammar, and would read as though you were stating two separate things: Demons and Souls.

3. Demon's Souls is correct grammar, but it doesn't fit with what the game is actually about. It would mean there is one demon with many souls.

4. Demons' Souls is what I believe the intended name was. It essentially means "the souls of multiple demons."

Demon's Souls, as is, could technically fit into the Demon's Souls universe, but it's a stretch, and I'd assume most people think of the fourth meaning I listed when they think of the game.

Anyone out there who knows Japanese maybe wanna enlighten us on what the real intended name is supposed to be?

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WarlordPayne

Aren't all the souls supposed to be from one demon? It's been a while but I thought there was one great demon that all of the souls originally came from, the one that was releasing the fog.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

But the soul of a single demon gives you many souls.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

You're the demon with many souls.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunExplosions

@WarlordPayne: Ah, yeah, that makes sense. The Old One. Maybe it's just me that's been messing up the name subconsciously for two years. It could also refer to the player, collecting more and more souls along their quest, but a reference to The Old One is the most intuitive definition, given the game's grammatical representation.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

well... Demons do have multiple souls in this game..  how else can you be absorbing 10,000 souls from one demon :P

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SadPatrol

one demon, and he has multiple souls.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

I had the same problem until I realized it was from Japan and probably wasn't going to make sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.