Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Are you happy that you bought Destiny?

• 122 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Are you happy that you bought Destiny? (667 votes)

Yes, mainly for the main story campaign 10%
    Yes, mainly for the co-op, strikes, and raids 34%
    Yes, mainly for the competitive multiplayer 6%
    Yes, mainly for the end-game loot search 9%
    No, mostly because I'm not happy with the amount of content 11%
    No, mostly because I'm not happy with the storytelling in the campaign 10%
    No, mostly because I'm not happy with how loot is handled 5%
    No, mostly because I think there's too much of a focus on multiplayer 3%
    No, I bought Destiny, but I'm not happy with the game for another reason 9%

I only added an open-ended "no, I'm not happy with the game for another reason" answer because I wanted to focus on what people prefer most about Destiny: the single player campaign, co-op, competitive multiplayer, or the search for better loot. Those seem to be Destiny's main focuses of game design and marketing.

I have my theories as to which answers will get the most votes, and I'm curious to find out if I'll be right. There's been a fair amount of negativity surrounding Destiny since its release, so I'm also interested to see if the people who actually bought the game regret their purchase or not.

What say you, Giant Bomb? Are you happy that you bought Destiny?

• 
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

It came free with my white PS4. As far as pack-ins go, it's pretty good.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bought the white PS4 bundle and don't regret that at all. I do wish I could have gotten it with a different game though, Destiny is a little barren and the loot is meager. I might enjoy it more if I could start playing with people but without matchmaking that takes more effort than it's probably worth.

Exactly the hole I'm in, I mostly play PC, so I have like no friends on consoles. Bungie has always had a problem with adding matchmaking to co-op though, so I'm honestly not surprised it's nonexistent. It just sucks when it's doubled with the fact there's no split-screen.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose the last one, but only because there was no undecided option.

Destiny has definite faults and they stare me dead in the eyes every time I jump into the game. While Jeff's criticisms of the game largely mirror my own, I find myself more stuck on the particulars of missions that I have been doing and redoing and redoing with friends over this past half-week. There shouldn't be missions that DEMAND that you take in the scenic vistas, painstakingly hand-painted over five years on computers in rain-soaked Seattle (I was gawking at those anyway). There shouldn't be so many empty differences between pre-20 Loot Grabs. There shouldn't be such glaring power differentials between the classes (Titan as it is in the game should never have been allowed to ship; it is complete garbage) and the differences between them should be more apparent. There shouldn't be an insistence that you'll want to play through the same six strikes dozens of times to get anything reaching moderately decent post-20 gear. There shouldn't be shopkeepers that only appear on weekends what is this Animal Crossing Wild World of Garbage god dammit.

And yet --There has to be a reason that I've been playing it nearly non-stop since Tuesday. Maybe I've just been wanting Bungie's specific style of shooter without having to buy into 343 Industries' inferior knock-off. Maybe I've been entranced by its beautiful visuals and a tone that hits a nice middle ground between cheesy fantasy and Marathon. Maybe it's just that being a straight-up sequel to Marathon is enough for me to want to explore every inch of it. Maybe I just have five other friends who have it and we've been wanting a well-built console shooter to dick around in for ages. Maybe it's all those things.

I dunno, I still haven't come to a conclusion on it. There are parts of it that really feel like a poor showing on Bungie's part, but the parts that are done well seem to hit such a certain point with me that I've found myself returning to it day after day. I'm hesitant on throwing down $30 on the expansions when those go on sale in December, but if they try to fix even some of the game's most glaring design problems then I'll probably want to give them a shot.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the game with a ps4 bundle and would not of bought it otherwise. I'm playing alone and I'm not having a great time for the reasons mentioned in Jeff's review. Where are all the guns? Everything at the tower is level 20 and the one place I can buy guns I have to grind faction rep! what about my class Armour? I'm level 11 and I still have the default "bond" I thought I would try and do some multilayer to get some better weapons but the matchmaking keeps dropping me in a match that is half over and my team is already losing! Load times!

What? There is a gun vendor right by the entrance to the tower who does not require rep and who stocks guns from level 6 and up. The very first time you go to the tower the game sends you to talk to him. Never had the problem with multiplayer games being half way through before I get in, not even once.. No idea why that might be happening. As for bonds, if you mean grinding rep for a faction, there are vendors who sell cloaks for glimmer which will give you faction rep with that faction. Not sure if those have level requirements attached to them though.

I do get the feeling you're looking for beef with this game. It's not the best game in the world, but some basic research could have answered almost all of your questions.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By Evilsbane

I just wanted it to have a level a content comparable to World of Warcraft (Pre-expansions of course WoW levels of content as it is now is insane) I don't mind so much that the missions themselves are lackluster. MMO's hide the pretty paper thin design through sheer wealth of content and this seems like an MMO with no content. I just wanted World of Halo, I wanted to be able to buy this and play it for 6 months.

They showed videos that made this game seem much more open and loot driven, they showed a guy finding loot chest in Old Russia in a "random encounter" and at no point was it apparent those chest would be a very small finite number. I didn't want to be able to finish the game in a weekend.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Voted second option. The game's flaws are rather obvious, but they haven't been a huge detriment for me. Love the gunplay, love the cooperative potential (when it works). It's a fun social game I can see myself spending a hundred hours in without blinking an eye.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By nasp

there should have been a option for people who are happy with the purchase because they like everything in the game.i dont just like the game for just the coop or pvp or end game,i love it because it has all of that,which no other fps has ever had before.well its my GOTY so im very happy i bought it.i knew what i was getting before i bought it so i wasnt dissapointed it was something i didnt expect.i wanted a fpsrpg like borderlands with more people on screen,real raids that are not just a boss,but a ACTUAL raid,and a good pvp to go with it.i got all of that and more.i really like farming and grinding,so while alot of people and reviewers played the story and then stopped,i am still grinding and farming days later after i finished the story.i cant wait to start another character.i understand why some people dont like it though,if you dont like grinding and farming you really wont get why this game is so great.as a person who loves that stuff though its the perfect game for me.

thwip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm pretty happy with it but I absolutely understand why people wouldn't be. For me, I get the same thing out of this game that I got from Left 4 Dead(except there's loot, which I always wanted in an L4D sequel). That game was also pretty light on content when it originally released, but I still played 50-60 hours of it. I just have so much fun with co-op even though I've played the same strike mission 6 or 7 times. The way the shooting feels, the abilities, leveling up your gear and weapons and working with other players is just enough to make me happy with my purchase.

davosplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: Having played both Destiny and Watchdogs, they are not all that comparable. For me WatchDawgz was a shambling corpse of a GTA game with a terrible story. And in a game that relies on story beats to propel players through the experience, it failed on all counts. And while destiny's "story" was anything but amazing, the game is not about a story. It is about tense co-op action and loot. This game has me hooked on both of those counts. I agree with Jeff's review that the game is super light on content, but what is there is far more addictive and exciting to me than ANYTHING in Watchdogs. Destiny has that certain something that actually makes me want to spend my few precious gaming hours with it. Hell I dunno, maybe I just have subconsciously wanted to dance in a shooter for a longer than I thought ;)

Peace Duders.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Ravelle

I bought the Destiny PS4 for 400 euro's so even if the game was a disappointment it wouldn't be that bad. Luckily I'm really enjoying the game, I love loot type games and I had a blast playing some dungeons and running around doing patrol missions with a bunch of friends. If there is something that I would have changed is that it shouldn't take it self so serious, I really loved the wackiness of Halo, even the enemies had some personality, that and the bunch of crazy online modes you had. I also wish the story was not all over the place and was told in a more clear and linear way.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I bought the white PS4 bundle and don't regret that at all. I do wish I could have gotten it with a different game though, Destiny is a little barren and the loot is meager. I might enjoy it more if I could start playing with people but without matchmaking that takes more effort than it's probably worth.

Only the high end raids require matchmaking. The strikes have Matchmaking and are quite fun and very tough. I love it for that. I do hope they fix the raiding so that matchmaking will be allowed for the high end raids. I don't typically get to game when the majority of my friends list plays so it makes it quite tough to get into those. I'd gladly wait in a a 20-30 minute queue to try out those events when I can play on my schedule.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912: is this not the same as nearly every big release though? I don't watch trailers or get any pre-release-hype outside of giantbomb if I can help it but everytime I do catch some for an upcoming game its always a load of hyperbole.

Marketing sucks and always has done.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By hatking

I bought an Xbox One last week and grabbed Destiny for my free game. I don't regret it at all. I think the single player stuff leaves something to be desired, but the gameplay is pretty solid, and I've had quite a bit of fun with public events and a strike I did. I look forward to getting to a higher level and focusing on more of the co-op portion of this, which seems like the strongest part of it. I might also check out the competitive, because I did love that stuff in Halo, but I'm concerned the loot based character stats might make it a little less fun.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I regret buying it. I don't enjoy playing it. While I was doing a mission last night, I was thinking about how I can't wait for the MCC and CoD in November. I just don't think the combat is fun. And the guns aren't loot. Not even a little. They are all mostly the same with just better damage.

Djnardu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbradley1992: I'm not sure how far you have gotten into the game but late game epic guns definitely have very specific functions and features.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ripelivejam

@viciousbearmauling: play destiny on one screen, play quick look of diablo 3 on another w/no volume, and the bombcast as audio. Ultimate podcastin' experience.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only bought Destiny because I don't own an FPS game on Xbone. I've been enjoying it so far, I even started a new character and leveled it more than the first one. I'm also playing it alone so I should try diving into the coop and competitive stuff. So I'd say I'm happy with my purchase.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ZolRoyce

It is the first game I've played on my PS4 so I do have child like glee with the way the controller glows different colors depending on certain in-game actions, that is pretty fun.
    The speeder bikes are fun to zoom around on, the graphics are gorgeous, punching dudes is pretty sweet and doing those random events with people while beforehand I was just doing my own thing is pretty cool.
    So I am having fun with it and I don't regret it, but at the same time for everything fun about it, there are two things dull and boring so I'll probably trade it away when I 'finish' it.

So I'm happy and un-happy at the same time.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the game. I wish I didn't buy it though because it isn't finished. They basically admit it at the end.

Not enough content. Not by a long shot. I'm sure the DLC will eventually change that...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I only bought Destiny because I don't own an FPS game on Xbone. I've been enjoying it so far, I even started a new character and leveled it more than the first one. I'm also playing it alone so I should try diving into the coop and competitive stuff. So I'd say I'm happy with my purchase.

You should give the co-op a shot! My first co-op experience with it was playing through the first Strike, and it was a ton of fun. I guess it's a lot like Halo co-op, from what I can remember (with the stuff like powers thrown in).

I've yet to try the competitive stuff though.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#71  Edited By Killercombo

Bought it on PS3 for £20 at launch with soon to be invalid reward points, played all the content then sold it for £30 today, not bad.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By schlorgan

The beta didn't impress me so I rented it for a couple of days and that did not change how I felt about it. Maybe I'll pick it up later on a sale.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By Baillie
    No Caption Provided

As I haven't bought the game, I didn't want to sway the vote anyway.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Yes, I've gotten over 30 hours of fun out of it so far, which is more than you can say for most games. If I never played it again, I think I got my moneys worth. Of course, I won't be stopping anytime soon.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

It's a really good podcast game. I'm happy with my purchase

I can attest to this

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok: I'm with you on this one. Glacier white ps4 for teh win!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, even while playing solo. 13 hours played so far, so it has been well worth the price at least.

Pixelrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Pixelrat

I'm regretting it a little. It was fun with a couple friends for a bit, but that was short lived and now it's just a boring grind. I really hate the multiplayer(pvp) stuff...I just think it is bad and not very fun. I turned it on tonight and it just solidly hit me that I don't really want to play this anymore.

Maybe I'll go back a bit more just to play with some of my friends, but there isn't anything there for me.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yesterday, I worked 13 hours. When I got home, I ate some soup and then played Destiny for about an hour. I leveled up, got a couple of new weapons, some new boots...then I went to sleep. Yeah, Destiny is going to be just fine for my lifestyle. With all the negative chatter about the game, I was wondering if should have gotten a different game (I have D3 on PC already), but in practice it fulfills my gaming needs. I don't think I can ask for much more.

Still, I think it needs an "Elizabeth" because "Ghost" just won't do. They should have DLC that allows you to change the personality and voice of your ghost unit.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Robo

Yep. It's a great game.

It has its faults, for sure. The relatively thin story (ignoring the Grimoire) for a Bungie title at least, it takes itself a bit too seriously, Dinklage's poorly-directed VO, the somewhat tedious travel, the lack of variety with patrol missions, no local voice chat...although I can kind of understand why it isn't an option yet.

But it has some key strengths as well. The mechanics and presentation are both top notch, it has a refreshingly different 'sci-fantasy' style to it instead of being just another franchise sequel cash-in or leaning on nostalgia, the AI is actually fairly intelligent for a change, it's enjoyable on your own yet really shines with friends instead of the co-op feeling like an afterthought, they didn't go the popular route of loading it up with microtransactions even for the cosmetic customization--of which it has a decent degree, and it gives you respectable sense and amount of progression.

Much like Diablo or DOTA or even CoD...it isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's just unfortunate people can't express that or criticise it without taking a shit on it because it wasn't the video game-Messiah they were apparently expecting.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am ok with my purchase. I like the game but it seems a bit short on content for a full game.

It also is hard to find people to play with.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Bane

I'm happy I bought it. The game has its faults (lack of storytelling, matchmaking), but the foundation they built here is solid. I'm having a lot of fun playing it, and when I'm not playing it I'm excited to get back to it.

I think part of my enjoyment stems from the fact that the game as a whole was outside my comfort zone. What I mean by that is I didn't play any Halo games so I can't compare it to their previous work, and I don't play shooters or multiplayer games regularly. Plus, I ignored the marketing like I do for most games and went in without expectations. The Unfinished videos are what sold me on it. I watched those and thought it looked awesome, so I bought it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell Yes. Finally a game my wife will play with me.

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Zornack

Not happy. I finished the campaign last night and will be returning it to GameStop for $40 when I get a chance. I'm disappointed in the amount of content, the bad loot system, the bad endgame and the bad story.

wintermute306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So happy, I've already put in enough for a pound an hour (£45) as I've been off work sick. Great value for money and with Vault of Glass coming I'm even more excited. Despite all it's faults it is so much fun to play with friends and the PS4 really did need a good co-op game. Personally I suspect the best is yet to come with this game.

unluckywizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By unluckywizard

I just can't get over how utterly lacking in story content and interactivity this game truly is. I am sorry but unlockable 'lore cards' found only on an external website and phone app does not count. Even those are just more vague tidbits. The core gunplay and combat is good and fun and has the hallmarks of it's great ancestry. The loot situation is ok, however the random item rolls in strikes and multiplayer are terrible. Also, a legendary engram! Yay, oh wait it's a green pair of boots. -_-

I hope that it gets fleshed out with FREE patches. I shouldn't have to buy DLC/Expacs to get a complete experience. Right now, it's just rinse and repeat on every level of the campaign. The multiplayer could be more robust, but is enjoyable at it's core.

*Edit: Also I can't stop playing it with my friends. I think only because shooting enemies and using abilities is fun with friends. That speaks to the strengths of the gunplay, everywhere else though I am really disappointed

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally found a fix for my problem. My roommate suggested that the wifi might not be solid enough in our apartment to deal with the game. I hesitantly bought one of those power line ethernet adapters since Amazon was having a sale. Today after first testing Destiny again on my wifi and continuously getting errors, I hooked up the power line adapter. I just ended a 5 hour session with one of my friends and had 0 issues. I guess for some reason the wifi, though it works well with other games/devices in my place, destiny seemed to have issues with it.

I'm glad I got to finally play it. It's been pretty fun so far.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#88  Edited By Jackel2072

Too many options for this poll... Anyways YES! Just got done with the first part of the raid. Holy Christmas batman! I'm enjoying myself.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely one of the people who can understand and accept the things that people like jeff say about this game but I like the game more than him and I can't stop playing it. I dunno why.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two cents. Add match making to everything. Story missions, the damn weekly strikes and the raids. More devs need to look at what warframe does for co-op. Or borderlands.

I hope this game evolves though updates over time. If it doesn't people will tire of it quickly.

feive_vz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really glad I bought it, but I think that was partly due to the price and a friend getting it at the same time. £40 and started playing with a friend on the same day; I don't think I would have enjoyed the Campaign Mode on my own, but it was definitely fun with a friend.

The thing I'm most disappointed by is the fact I'm gonna be essentially locked out from the most interesting content though. I don't have 5 other people I know who play Destiny; and even if I did, I don't think I could get 5 people together at the same time to play through the raids. I have one other friend who may buy the game so we can complete a fireteam, but even if he does get it, there's no way to make that 6 people to play regularly. That's what I'm most disappointed about. I hope Bungie continues to add content for people in situations similar to mine; otherwise I won't be able to do much.

I shouldn't say it, but I think secretly I wish I'd bought Diablo 3 instead; only problem is I don't know anyone playing that.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#92  Edited By jaycrockett

I'm happy. Weirdly my favorite part is the patrols. I just like wandering around, exploring, and doing missions and bounties. The story is sort of a bummer, so I can see if people tried to power through those all at once it'd leave a bad taste. I'm just doing one story mission, a couple of pvp rounds, and patrol the rest of the night.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

definitely don't regret picking it up. i like it for a lot of reasons. i understand the criticisms of this game and i even agree with most of them but i'm still having a ton of fun with it. Competitive multiplayer feels like Halo multiplayer with bananas type rules. the PvE feels just like Halo's combat, especially on higher difficulties. i completely scratches that itch of trying to widdle down huge pack of covenant when i take on the large groups of enemies Destiny throws at you on higher difficulties. Also the loot system is an ok enough reward system that i feel like i'm spending my time doing something. It's not great, but it's serviceable.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yes, because playing online with friends is great, and it's good to have something that a lot of my internet friends are actively playing!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By mrfluke

yea, its a great GAME in which you shoot a ton of shit, everything else this game was hyped up to be (living breathing world, great single player campaign, super unique loot, great endgame) it falls short.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just didn't do it for me. At some point I got behind the level curve and needed hours in the crucible to catch up. Just wasn't motivated to do it.

I wasn't looking for a game like WOW but it presented itself as one, WOW never once made me feel at a disadvantage for wanting to solo.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By afabs515

Happy I bought it. Happier that I can get 40 bucks back on it

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

It's weird, I don't fit into any of those. I am enoying it for the most part, but every once and a while I question whether I want to keep playing. There is something there but it isn't fully realized for a number of reasons that the internet has outlined already.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda? I sorta feel gypped over the main story, but I'm having fun playing with friends.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Corwag

Absolutely! After the barrage of so-so reviews, I held off on buying it and rented it from redbox instead. By level 6 I was HOOKED and bought it the next day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.