Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

So how screwed over am I if I don't buy Rise of Iron?

• 58 results
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@hestilllives19: Thanks for the clarification. So as a long time player, do you feel as if all those DLC's which amount to over a $100 at this point were worth it? Maybe "worth it" is the wrong way to phrase it and I'm not quite sure how else to put it.. Do you think having spent nearly $200 ($60 for Destiny plus the costs of the DLC added together) for a console game that is still much more limited than your typical MMORPG is fine or is that asking too much? It just seems like classic MMORPG's get really huge expansions every couple of years and there is a ton of content to go through in between those additional packs. Destiny has had quite a rapid turnaround for all this DLC.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

@humanity: Honestly I feel just like most did that Destiny, while great was a bit lacking in content originally. Especially compared to what we know they can do now. And that's a huge shame, they should have done better, and they could have without all of the infighting that seemingly went on behind the scenes. But I don't regret that purchase mainly because our community here at Giantbomb was so amazing. It really made the game for me. But if I didn't have that I would have been done with Destiny back in 2014. So the first $60 was questionable. I was playing the Raid so much at the time, I bought the Season pass for $35. So in my mind I paid $15 for The Dark Below. But the actual sticker price on that DLC was $20. The DLC outside of Crota's End in retrospect was absolute trash. That is honestly the biggest negative as far as DLC goes in Destiny's history. It absolutely wasn't worth the $20 price point. Though I did play Crota's End an obscene amount of times, so for me I did get my moneys worth out of it, but it was very long in the tooth. House of Wolves was the first bright spot for Destiny DLC. The Story was actually good-ish, Prison of Elders was kind of fun, and Trials of Osiris was one of the best things ever introduced to Destiny. It's the one thing that has still kept me coming back to Destiny, even in the massive gaps of content that have followed. It easily eared it's $20 from me. All in all Y1, at $95 was worth it to me. I played over 1,000 hours which is an absolute bargain as a value proposition. Then The Taken King came out for $40. And it was fantastic. The new Subclasses, King's Fall, a great Story, The Dreadnaught, Court of Oryx. Basically it was firing on all cylinders, it was worth it's $40 and then some. The only major downside to The Taken King was post January. It was kind of a barren wasteland. One in which many of us would have gladly paid for another Expansion, but nothing really came until the April Update. It was relatively insignificant, just like the small events. So in essence, my biggest complaint of Y2 was not the $40 price, but the lack of content to buy in Y2. It needed to be fleshed out far better. So after Y2 we are sitting at $135 invested ($140 for those that bought it piecemeal, or only $60 for those that just bought The Taken King) and I've played over 2,000 hours of Destiny. Again this is an obnoxious value proposition. Then we come to this Tuesday when Rise of Iron launched for $30, bringing that total to $165 ($170). I already feel like Rise of Iron is going to earn it's $30 price point pretty easily. That is if the Raid is even the same quality as the Crota's End, my least favorite Raid so far. I'm hoping it's Vault of Glass quality, and if so it actually will far exceed that $30 value, at least in my mind. But again my biggest concern isn't the $165 I've invested over these 3 years, it's Bungie's inability to provide enough content to sustain Destiny as a living, breathing world until Destiny 3 likely to drop September 2017. I think that's the far bigger issue than the value proposition or investment cost of Destiny and my biggest concern for Destiny for 2017. If we only get a few small free events and another April Update like this past year that does something like Bring up the Crota's End Raid and Vault of Glass to current Light Levels, while that would be awesome, I would consider that plan to be a bit of a let down. I guess I expect a lot more from Bungie and Activision. I personally wish they would just hire a Dedicated DLC team to be added to the Live Team to put out small content updates at around $10 every Quarter a major release isn't dropping. I think that would help to create the idea that Destiny is a living breathing world, because annual updates are just not enough.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@spaceinsomniac: The fact that you think Destiny is more like Call of Duty than an MMO shows that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Destiny is. I cannot think of a continuous loot-driven game whose expansion didn't give players who bought the expansion a level/loot/skill/stat advantage over those who didn't. It's fine if that's not the experience you want, but that simply means that Destiny (and living games in general) might not be the right genre for you.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@ajamafalous said:

@spaceinsomniac: The fact that you think Destiny is more like Call of Duty than an MMO shows that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Destiny is. I cannot think of a continuous loot-driven game whose expansion didn't give players who bought the expansion a level/loot/skill/stat advantage over those who didn't. It's fine if that's not the experience you want, but that simply means that Destiny (and living games in general) might not be the right genre for you.

Multiplayer.

Can a non-Destiny player come into this thread please and give their opinion here.

Is crucible multiplayer in Destiny more like COD multiplayer, or is crucible multiplayer in Destiny more like World of Warcraft?

Bungie can give players who buy their expansion all the PVE/MMO advantages in the world. I don't care. But keep that out of PVP, or give all players those advantages. Non-cosmetic multiplayer advantages given only to players who have paid more is a pay to win structure. That is my argument. If people don't agree with that, then that's fine, but make THAT argument. Don't tell me that I should think of crucible multiplayer as an MMO.

There is literally NO reason why Bungie had to introduce PVP advantages for paying customers. None. There have been three expansions before this, and that sort of thing never happened. New sub-classes were close, but at least those couldn't be argued to be objectively better classes. They were just different. This is literally giving paying customers an extra perk from a new perk list, and putting those players together with non-paying customers.

That fact doesn't just go away because the same DLC includes new story missions and another raid.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shit, I'm still playing vanilla. I like Destiny and all, but not enough to put more money into it unless there's some crazy DLC sale. I just pop into it now and then for some shoot n' loot.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All this an meanwhile I'm over here having just bought my 7th iteration of World of Warcraft for significantly more than rise of iron costs while paying a $15 sub fee for 12 years and being perfectly satisfied.

Seriously, it's an MMO, and it's a deal at that.

Asking this question is as ignorant as asking if you would be okay to keep one of the old WOW xpacs after a new one comes out. No, it's a progression of a game, and you have two choices, keep up or be left behind

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By pyrodactyl

@spaceinsomniac: This is a huge overreaction. Those new artifacts just seem bad. They will make the slightest of difference on the highest levels of PvP. You will never encounter anyone good enough in the classic playlists for any of that to matter.

Making the argument that this is worst than taken king with its 3 new subclasses (the best of their class for a large chunk of year 2 in PvP) as well as a bunch of exclusive top tier legendary and exotic weapons is particularly crazy.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ajamafalous said:

Multiplayer.

Can a non-Destiny player come into this thread please and give their opinion here.

Is crucible multiplayer in Destiny more like COD multiplayer, or is crucible multiplayer in Destiny more like World of Warcraft?

Bungie can give players who buy their expansion all the PVE/MMO advantages in the world. I don't care. But keep that out of PVP, or give all players those advantages. Non-cosmetic multiplayer advantages given only to players who have paid more is a pay to win structure. That is my argument. If people don't agree with that, then that's fine, but make THAT argument. Don't tell me that I should think of crucible multiplayer as an MMO.

There is literally NO reason why Bungie had to introduce PVP advantages for paying customers. None. There have been three expansions before this, and that sort of thing never happened. New sub-classes were close, but at least those couldn't be argued to be objectively better classes. They were just different. This is literally giving paying customers an extra perk from a new perk list, and putting those players together with non-paying customers.

That fact doesn't just go away because the same DLC includes new story missions and another raid.

You seem to think that those other loot-driven continuous games don't have PVP with exactly the same situation for some reason?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.