Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Time to get it?

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I see that Destiny there is a pretty nice deal on Destiny during the psn January sale, and I'm finally seriously thinking of buying the game. But at the same time I hear youtuber's and people playing on twitch saying that the game is dying.

So is still worth getting, or should I just give it a pass? Mind you, I'm mostly interested in doing pve and dungeons or whatever they are called in Destiny.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I spent about 160 hours with vanilla Destiny doing PvE (mostly strikes, just did the first raid once) and had a blast. Currently waiting on my copy of Taken King to arrive so I can dive back in on all the DLC I skipped.

The combat's a ton of fun dude.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I bought it pretty recently and haven't found many PVE players around my level in matchmaking (levels 1-20+), but there might just be less players in my time zone (Australian). The solo content is great enough though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

@phantomgardener: The answer to this question always hinges on "Do you have friends to play with you?" Because if you don't then I would say you probably shouldn't get it.

In addition you probably shouldn't get it because of the absolutely shitty way Bungie is handling this game, whether its of their own design or them getting strongarmed by Activision, player fun is always the least of their worries.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity: all the microtransactions are 100% optional and don't offer any advantage

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@ottoman673: I wasn't really talking about the microtransactions but the way it is structured as a whole. The way DLC is handled, the player interaction, the stubbornness to address issues that have been discussed since day one, so on and so forth.

Also while the microtransactions don't offer any advantage yet, you can very easily see a possible future where they will. When the game finally reaches the point where you'll have the choice of either spending extra money or grinding for hours on end just to take part in whatever contrived new currency based content they come up with you'll still be able to say it's 100% optional but that won't make it any less terrible.

OF course thats all speculation, who knows where the game will go, but anyone who has played since day one and observed the way this game evolved has absolutely no reason to feel optimistic about where it's headed.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

Since Destiny is a social game this is actually kind of a bad time to get Destiny. Pretty much everyone still playing is hardcore and super-kitted out, and not that interested in playing with n00bs. If you have a group of friends who want to dive in that doesn't really matter, but if not you'll find yourself more playing around people than playing with them (this is generally true of Destiny a lot of the time.)

On the other hand you can get through the game solo just fine and there is a fair amount of content there at this point. The shooting is good, the graphics are great, the story is absolute shit, it's Destiny. There's also the multiplayer CoD style part, which suffers from CoD only the hardcore are still playing syndrome, but you can still mess around in it.

Personally I don't think the Taken King fixed Destiny's problems and it is one of my least favorite games I ever sunk a large amount of time or money into, but if you're only paying the PSN price there's enough content there now to make it worth it.

My advice is get in and get out though. Don't stick around after you've run through the story missions and seen the strikes unless you have a specific group of people to raid with.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

If you're looking for a shooter to play with some friends, it has come a hell of a long way. The old story content is pretty lame. Starting with the House of Wolves content, I think the game started getting better, and the Taken King missions in particular reflect quite an improvement.

I have probably put 25-30 or so hours into the game since Taken King came out. I'm at level 40 and light level 214 or something like that. I've just about exhausted all content outside the raids and the Crucible (which I have no intention of ever touching). If I'm not playing with friends, I have podcasts or videos on in the background because I could care less about their terrible story/lore.

PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any friends that plays the game, and if the story/lore is so bad as people say, then I might just give it a pass anyways.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hestilllives19

@phantomgardener: $40 definitely isn't the best deal on The Taken King I've seen lately, but it is digital which, at least for me has made it easier. There is a lot of game to enjoy though even for $40. Destiny is a far better game if you have players to play with like others have mentioned. On that note, if you do buy Destiny, be careful, with the new Refer a Friend program a young guardian like yourself is chum in a water of sharks looking to devour you and use you for it's rewards. There is a thread here you might want to check out that people were looking for RaF's though, so you may look through there to find someone. Hopefully that player won't just hang you out to dry after you complete the rewards and will actually take you under their wing to teach you the ways of the Destiny so to speak, because it can be a complicated game for newcomers. There are also a lot of resources, like the clans Cerberus Wolves or Lincoln Force NA Central that are still relatively active or Giantbomb 100.i0 to find Raid groups.

If you plan on playing it just 30-50 hours, I'd say you can easily get your $40 out of it, but it's cutting it close and like Humanity has said, some of the Original Destiny's story is pretty awful so getting through that will be a bit of a chore. But the DLC's story gets much better, and honestly you can skip almost all of the Original games story and still understand what is going on in the Taken King if you play the 10 or so other DLC missions first, which are much better. Use the Spark to skip to level 25 so you can start grinding towards decent gear early on and unlock your second subclass. But if you don't plan on playing much more than that the endgame will be meaningless for you anyways. If you plan on putting 5 or so hours a week into it for awhile, just as a podcast game or whatever though, and plan on eventually Raiding, Destiny has probably easily the best value in gaming time to $ wise, even at the almost $200 everyone else has spent for what you are getting for $40. So if you plan on getting deep into the endgame, it's value proposition can't be beat. At least I still have fun playing it every week, almost 2,000 hours into it. But I have 70 or so Destiny players on my friends list now and a group of about 10 I play with on a weekly basis for Raids or Trials and found enjoyment trying and mostly succeeding to collect all of the stuff. People are starting to dwindle though, even the hardcore players like myself. Hopefully, like Bungie hinted, a more substantial piece of content will drop in February and it will bring everyone back, and that would give you just enough time to level appropriately. I hope some or any of this information helps.

PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.