Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Is this game worth it?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

EDIT: OK, so now I'm thinking about this again, though on the Wii U. Against everything negative about the console, I actually want to buy a Wii U. The below question can still apply, though it's less about the question below, and more about me wondering what everyone thought of this version instead of 'should I get it?'

Do you think this is worth purchasing again? I love the original, which I played through two and a half times and have on the Xbox 360; I just wanted to know if it was worth getting on 360 again. It would basically just come down to the new content inside the game, and I really want to play the game again, but in a somewhat new way. Who here has played it, and what can you say about it compared to the original, excluding the alternative accessories like a Wii U pad or what have you, and just the game itself? If I got the Director's Cut version, I could also give the original to a friend or my brother.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a reason you want to buy it on 360 twice? If your pc is decent at all get it on steam, plays far better on pc and is probably cheaper. If you have a Wii U get it there even.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@karkarov: I don't have a Wii U yet, and I don't have gaming PC anymore. Just this laptop I use. If I had a PC or a Wii U, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I mean... you played through it two and a half times already. Shouldn't you yourself know if it's worth it?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well do you want to play it with better visuals and re-done boss battles? If that matters to you then get it. If it doesn't than don't worry about it.

One thing I have heard (I'm pretty sure this was the PC version, but it might affect the console versions too) is that the new graphics can cause a performance hit. I've heard of a few guys having problems with that on PC, but I'm not too sure about any other versions, or if it was just specific to them not having a good enough machine to handle it. Just so you know.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I replayed it 3 times, probably going to replay it a 4th time. Yes, the game is worth it. It's in this niche little center between Mass Effect beautiful production and bethesda open world open but yet it's linear, but It's closer to Vampire Bloodlines then those two games. I mean your in here because you want to soak in it's atmosphere and aesthetics of cyberpunk like it's mid 90s, and you might enjoy being clever and solving almost every situation through building a tower of boxes to get across things or hack terminals to find a silly email that spoils the ending. It's a very rewarding game.

No Caption Provided

I bought the director's cut for PC, the PC version looks A LOT BETTER then the console versions, the higher resolution helps a lot. But I replayed it not to long ago, kinda want to wait to check out the director's cut later. It's a solid B Game, it's got jank, some characters are horribly written I kinda want to hide in shame when I hear them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@jams: I didn't play the Director's Cut, so no, I wouldn't. Of course, in the end, I'll determine whether it's worth it or not myself, but I wanted to know what others thought when comparing the original to the Director's Cut.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: @stonyman65: There's also a few other things, like when roaming around, you can select a few other things out of the environment for a conversation piece, at last at the beginning in which I saw on YouTube. And the Missing Link, which I didn't play. And crithon, I played and have the original game. Yes, the PC version is better. I haven't played that version, but I know. It'd be cool if for next-gen, they put it out one more time with better visuals, 60 frames, and though I like the cover system to an extent; leaning, similar to that from Dark Athena would be better to me. On consoles, you also have to press in R3 to aim down the sight, while that's not terrible, it by todays standards feels somewhat archaic, and it'd be nice to hold L to do it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By crithon

@ntm: Missing Link was also good, Deus Ex Human Revolution has a really solid core mechanic of discovering things and it never tries to do anything complex that it can't accomplish.

Same team is working on Theif, previews have been poor on that game. I don't know, the issue with next gen really about good management just to keep a team focus. What works so well about this game is that it's modest in it's sense of ambition, small rooms, there's a lot to do in those rooms, you feel a sense of freedom even if your just building boxes up to get onto a ladder. There's never any real dialog choice that avoids an entire boss fight like they did in the original Deus Ex. Human Rev you can list all the faults but in the end it's rewarding for what you can do in it's small structure.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By awesomeusername

I haven't played the Directors Cut, only the original but now I want to get it. I played through the game 2 times, loved it both times and got the platinum. I'd say go for it so we can see more Deus Ex in the future. I'd definitely buy this game again if I had the funds.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@awesomeusername: Yeah, that's very true. Support the games so we can get more (hopefully). You do know that they're making more Deus Ex's right? It's already been announced; it's called Deus Ex Universe.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

yes it's worth it, though if you had a somewhat capable pc you missed out on a steam sale recently where it was 5$

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@crithon said:

@ntm: Missing Link was also good, Deus Ex Human Revolution has a really solid core mechanic of discovering things and it never tries to do anything complex that it can't accomplish.

Same team is working on Theif, previews have been poor on that game. I don't know, the issue with next gen really about good management just to keep a team focus. What works so well about this game is that it's modest in it's sense of ambition, small rooms, there's a lot to do in those rooms, you feel a sense of freedom even if your just building boxes up to get onto a ladder. There's never any real dialog choice that avoids an entire boss fight like they did in the original Deus Ex. Human Rev you can list all the faults but in the end it's rewarding for what you can do in it's small structure.

They moved the Deus Ex HR team onto Thief as it was a troubled production, they were working on another game that got shelved so they can get Thief out.

HR is a worthy game to play - especially with all the boss fights finally fixed.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marz: Unfortunately, I don't anymore. If I did though, I would have happily bought the original, and perhaps even the Director's Cut already on PC. I love Steam and GOG, but I don't use them very often because of not having a good gaming PC.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ntm said:

@awesomeusername: Yeah, that's very true. Support the games so we can get more (hopefully). You do know that they're making more Deus Ex's right? It's already been announced; it's called Deus Ex Universe.

I remember them saying Deus Ex Universe but iirc, that's just them saying "we're making games, books, comics, etc." and they haven't officially announced a game. So until I see an official announcement, I won't get excited. Lord knows Squeenix let the internet down when their Deus Ex teases turned out to be an 8-bit something and an iPad game. So you should understand why I'm not getting my hopes up nor do I trust Squeenix.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I wouldn't buy it for more than $20 in your shoes.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear DC doesn't do anything new but fix the janky boss fights and adds small additional things. Might want to wait til it hits $15.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I don't think so, but I found the game to be overrated when it was originally released...so...Don't get me wrong. I don't think the game sucks or something, but I felt that for the equivalent of a glorified remake/reboot/prequel that it cut a lot of corners and made some of the same mistakes the original game did back in the year 2000.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump :). I have a new question, and found this, so I don't have to make a new one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.