Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Franchise »

A collection of award-winning, first-person shooter, cyberpunk role-playing games.

Deus Ex

bombastius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By bombastius

So, Just finished through Deus ex human revolution and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that game. I really like the story and the way it handles player progression , except the horrid boss battles. Now this has just increased my appetite and was wondering if there's anything else out there in the same vein ? I guess Syndicate is an obvious choice but from what I could tell from it its actually pretty far apart from each other ?

Or am I simply better off installing the original Deus Ex wich I haven't really played since my first play through when it was launched. I have heard it has gotten some pretty significant graphic mods done to it through the years which might be interesting to check out. But is there anything new out there ? Or is it back to the good old stuff to get another taste at this ?

bombastius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bombastius

So, Just finished through Deus ex human revolution and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that game. I really like the story and the way it handles player progression , except the horrid boss battles. Now this has just increased my appetite and was wondering if there's anything else out there in the same vein ? I guess Syndicate is an obvious choice but from what I could tell from it its actually pretty far apart from each other ?

Or am I simply better off installing the original Deus Ex wich I haven't really played since my first play through when it was launched. I have heard it has gotten some pretty significant graphic mods done to it through the years which might be interesting to check out. But is there anything new out there ? Or is it back to the good old stuff to get another taste at this ?

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Getz

Human Revolution is a bit of an anomaly in mainstream gaming right now. If you want a similarly deep or even deeper experience you're better off going with PC indies. Try out E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy or the original Deus Ex on the PC.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Alpha Protocol is probably the obvious choice, a really under-rated RPG Stealth/Shooter, shares plenty of similarities with HR. Splinter Cell: Conviction isn't too different in terms of gameplay either, if you enjoyed the stealth side of the game, I'd definitely recommend that. All-in-all though, HR is a pretty unique game.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

@Getz said:

Human Revolution is a bit of an anomaly in mainstream gaming right now. If you want a similarly deep or even deeper experience you're better off going with PC indies. Try out E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy or the original Deus Ex on the PC.

EYE's neat but feels pretty different from a Deus Ex game. I'd just stick to the original Deus Ex, or if you really want to play something besides that try Deus Ex: Invisible War. Definitely not as good as the original or even Human Revolution, but it's still OK.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Cyberpunk games, are a rarity, unfortunately. I'd recommend Anachronox, an old game, and the combat isn't great, but i love that game. The only thing that comes to mind besides that is, as mentioned, the original Deus Ex. Again, an old game, with not so great combat, but a great game nonetheless. And damn me for saying this, but if you're really desperate Invisible War is an option.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By stubbleman

Man. Do any of you guys remember Dystopia or Neotokyo? I wonder if anybody would still be online playing either of those mods if I went back and installed them again. Neotokyo was totally badass.

bombastius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bombastius

@James_Giant_Peach: Hmm so far i think that Alpha Protocol seems to fit the mold the best, or the original game. I have played a bit of AP and now you have reminded me of how good that game is, despite its flaws.

I have EYE and though its unique and have cyberpunk feel to it i never could come to grips with its interface or horrid tutorial system but above all the wave based combat was the straw that broke the camels back on that one for me.

The second deus ex game I have also played, should have mentioned that in above post i suppose, and its a fine game on its own but as you say, nothing compared to the original.

Yeah I guess Deus Ex or Human Revolution is pretty original in the end. Hope they make a sequel to it at some point. Did it sell well enough for that being a possibility ?

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Packie

@bombastius said:

@James_Giant_Peach: Hmm so far i think that Alpha Protocol seems to fit the mold the best, or the original game. I have played a bit of AP and now you have reminded me of how good that game is, despite its flaws.

I have EYE and though its unique and have cyberpunk feel to it i never could come to grips with its interface or horrid tutorial system but above all the wave based combat was the straw that broke the camels back on that one for me.

The second deus ex game I have also played, should have mentioned that in above post i suppose, and its a fine game on its own but as you say, nothing compared to the original.

Yeah I guess Deus Ex or Human Revolution is pretty original in the end. Hope they make a sequel to it at some point. Did it sell well enough for that being a possibility ?

Yeah I think it did really well, so much so that Eidos Montreal have created more teams and one more studio to tackle on other projects. As much as I love Human Revolution, I don't they should make a direct sequel or heck share the same continuity. I believe Deus Ex should be like Final Fantasy, as in every game in the series should have its own continuity without any relation to another, a continuous of rebooting narrative wise.

I honestly thought one of DX:HR weaker points, beside its boss fights, was it tried to tie itself too much to the original Deus Ex. I believe its story could stand by itself fine.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @bombastius
    I'd say look into Alpha Protocol and also did you already play through the DLC for human revolution? 
    It's a decent lengh mission with some neat background info if you are into the Deus Ex lore/story.
    Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wasara88

@bombastius: I know the feeling and there's really nothing out there aside from another deus ex game I'm afraid, but in the name of all that is holy get the DLC "Missing Link" it's short but well worth the price tag.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.