Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 22, 2000

A celebrated cyberpunk-themed first-person role-playing game, Deus Ex puts players behind the shades of JC Denton--an operative thrust into a world of byzantine global conspiracies.

Which ending did you choose? *SPOILERS*

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By greenygrey
    greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By greenygrey

The three different ending the player must decide has to be one of the most complex and challenging decision ethical choices in video games. There are no good or bad endings unlike in other games; they’re each based upon the ideologies the player believes would best serve humanity. I chose the Helios ending, which ending did you choose?

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

I chose the secret dance ending:

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By greenygrey
    @emkeighcameron said:

I chose the secret dance ending:

LOL!  

How could I have forgotten about the best ending in Deus Ex?  

If I could only edit the poll. :(

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jimbo

All of em because you only decide right near the end, but I think the Dark Age one was my 'proper' choice. Find us!

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By greenygrey
    @Jimbo said:

All of em because you only decide right near the end, but I think the Dark Age one was my 'proper' choice. Find us!

I know, I meant to ask which ending would the player prefer.
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Brians
    @Jimbo said:

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thegoldencat7

Such a clever game. Nothing else I've played did a better job at conveying a sense of freedom and choice. I used the save before the boss to watch all three but my initial instinct was the Helios one.
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RockAction

I played it recently and a friend of mine mentioned the different endings so i saved just after having destroyed three of the blue things and just before unplugging helios 

if i had to choose one, which i did for this poll, i would go with the illuminati but it was a hard decision, hence seeing all three endings 

i did struggle with the decision, it was great not to have the usual "good / bad / indifferent" endings laid out, there were good and bad points about each ending making the decision difficult 

really enjoyed this game, can't wait to play it again

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By greenygrey
    @RockAction said:
     I played it recently and a friend of mine mentioned the different endings so i saved just after having destroyed three of the blue things and just before unplugging helios  if i had to choose one, which i did for this poll, i would go with the illuminati but it was a hard decision, hence seeing all three endings  i did struggle with the decision, it was great not to have the usual "good / bad / indifferent" endings laid out, there were good and bad points about each ending making the decision difficult   really enjoyed this game, can't wait to play it again

You should, because it's a game that deserves multiple playthroughs, as there's multiple ways to solve tasks and missions throughout the game.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Chummy8

Dark age for me.  

I freaking love this game, I remember playing a certain scenario many times trying a different strategy each time.  That was the brilliance of the game.  

Ok, I'm going to reinstall it now. 

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By darkjester74

Dark age ending was the most satisfying to me.  To hell with that "boxes within boxes" crap!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The best ending: Helios. The Illuminati ending would, like the quote associated mentions, turn the world into Hell and would make the people continue suffering or maybe suffer even more for you. The Dark Age Ending is also quite stupid as humanity essentially devolves and we're resigned to live like people several decades ago before electricity was even invented. Boring. 

The Helios ending, in contrast, combines the most honest and justice driven individual (at least the way I first played it) with a flawless A.I. who amplifies the personality of its host and can rectify the world's problems. This god would actually fix the perilous world of Deus Ex and I deem it the best of the 3 possible endings.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

When I finished this game for the first time recently,  I chose the Illuminati Ending. Partially because that's the one I agreed with most, but mostly because I didn't feel like backtracking all the way back to Helios or the reactor. Regardless, I still think the story of Deus Ex is rote conspiracy nonsense that isn't told especially well, but I do think the endings were handled decently enough in that you had to choose between the least of three evils.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By azrailx

^ burn him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @azrailx: Thank you for that meaningful comment.111 No, seriously. Deus Ex has a lot of things going for it, but the story isn't one of them.  Conspiracy theories are extremely lazy plot devices that substitute "things that paranoid people believe in" for creative storytelling. (See: Why the DaVinci Code made so much money). That, and even then it's not told especially well. None of the characters are remotely interesting, and the 2000-era presentation (complete with bad voice acting) doesn't help that either.
    greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By greenygrey
    @ArbitraryWater said:

When I finished this game for the first time recently,  I chose the Illuminati Ending. Partially because that's the one I agreed with most, but mostly because I didn't feel like backtracking all the way back to Helios or the reactor. Regardless, I still think the story of Deus Ex is rote conspiracy nonsense that isn't told especially well, but I do think the endings were handled decently enough in that you had to choose between the least of three evils.

I don't particularly believe in conspiracy theories, and probably never will. I believe they're an overused trope in most video games, especially with games that have ridiculously ludicrous storylines like the Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Solid series. But the Deus Ex series is one of the few game franchise that handles the themes of conspiracy theories well, considering it explore philosophical territory most games don't delve in without being overwrought or pretentious. 

A great example of this would have to be Morpheus's conversation in Everett's home, which I would go as far to claim it as the most intelligently written conversation in a video game. Yes, even better written than anything in Planescape Torment. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Brendan

I always chose the Helios ending. How could I not transform into a total badass?

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By azrailx
    @ArbitraryWater: it was just a joke, i know it wasnt super dooper but i dont think its quite as shallow as you make it out to be
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @greenygrey: Maybe one of the better written parts of that game, yes, but I remember similar conversations in Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4, which I kind of enjoyed more because of how totally insane everything had become at that point. The problem with the story of Deus Ex is that it plays itself entirely straight and thinks that it's more serious than it actually is, when in fact the presence of such conspiracy theories automatically makes it far sillier. Regardless of any "deep" philosophizing, it's not an effectively told story because of the limited perspective and uninteresting characters.

In any case, I'm not here to clog up this topic with a lengthy multi-post debate on the merits of Deus Ex's story. It's a good game and one worthy of praise, but the story is not worthy of praise. Also: Oh my god JC! A Bomb! 
    greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By greenygrey
    @ArbitraryWater said:

@greenygrey: Maybe one of the better written parts of that game, yes, but I remember similar conversations in Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4, which I kind of enjoyed more because of how totally insane everything had become at that point. The problem with the story of Deus Ex is that it plays itself entirely straight and thinks that it's more serious than it actually is, when in fact the presence of such conspiracy theories automatically makes it far sillier. Regardless of any "deep" philosophizing, it's not an effectively told story because of the limited perspective and uninteresting characters.  In any case, I'm not here to clog up this topic with a lengthy multi-post debate on the merits of Deus Ex's story. It's a good game and one worthy of praise, but the story is not worthy of praise. Also: Oh my god JC! A Bomb! 

I literally laughed my ass off for thirty second at that scene. 

While I still disagree with you, I'm not keep arguing over a difference of opinion.  

I will say that JC Denton has some of the best one-liners in the history of video games. 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By august

I figure that the technology to create "God" would still be in existence in the Illuminati ending, and would only be delayed a few hundred years by the Dark Age ending. And if someone will inevitably have that power, it might as well be someone who isn't a total bastard like Bob Page.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Tesla

Helios all the way. It seems only fitting to become a god at the end of a game called Deus Ex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.