Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Resist gear: Is it worth it?

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nonapod

I just started Hell mode yesterday so I'm sorry if these seems a little newbish to some of the more series players here, but I was wondering what peoples opinion on gear with resistance stats on it. For example, for Beliel in Hell and Inferno is it worth it to scour the AH for gear with poison resistance on it?

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Renahzor

@Nonapod: Depends on class, but as a witch doctor I didn't pickup any resist gear until A1 inferno, which is where a lot of that gear starts to shine. You don't really need it until then. In an odd turn of events, armor and resist only help you survive 1 or MAYBE 2 hits from anything on act 2+ in inferno, so its really kinda up in the air. Having the resists will save you now and then, so its always good to pickup an item that has some, but the majority of your time as anything but a barb/monk will be trying not to ever get hit, making survivability stats relatively less important than raw dps.

Belial Inferno is all about never getting hit. Some poison resist might help, but its not really worth spending gold on until you know you're gonna need it. I beat him on hell without really any trouble, Its just a movement fight, and on hell he isn't one touch = dead, so its not too terrible.

Butcher Inferno fire resist helped some, but beating the enrage is more important and everything up until that point is 90% avoidable, so for me it was a DPS upgrade and more time shooting him that won the fight.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gamefreak9

As a wiz my focus is on not getting hit. Actually on Inferno when I first went I had about 25k hp and I was getting one shotted by shit, so I sort of gave up on HP and resistances and armour and just went RAW DPS. It works out much better, I never really get hit, and i have diamond armour handy for vortex or walls. So now after lots of sacrifice i'm at 17k HP and 30k DPS, most of the time I don't even need to kite, I kill thigs before they get close but bosses are a different story.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turambar

If you are a monk or wizard, the answer is definitely.  If you are a barbarian, the answer is probably.  If you are a demon hunter or witch doctor, the answer is "are you rich"?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Turambar
    @gamefreak9 said:

As a wiz my focus is on not getting hit. Actually on Inferno when I first went I had about 25k hp and I was getting one shotted by shit, so I sort of gave up on HP and resistances and armour and just went RAW DPS. It works out much better, I never really get hit, and i have diamond armour handy for vortex or walls. So now after lots of sacrifice i'm at 17k HP and 30k DPS, most of the time I don't even need to kite, I kill thigs before they get close but bosses are a different story.

You have a skill that innately increases your resistances by 40%.  Wizard is actually the easiest class to get your resistance to a 70% damage mitigation across all elements.  Resistance is in fact the most worth it for this class.  My wizard can in fact tank his way across all of Act I, though the bugs in Act II are still an issue.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adamsons

Don't stack a specific resist unless you are a monk, and even then you want to be stacking a single resist + all resist.

If you are a barb/monk stacking all resist is going to be essential to your survival, else it really depends how glass you want your cannon to be.

all resist and armor are essentially the same thing.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Rayeth

Resist Gear is ESSENTIAL if you want to survive more than 1 hit in Inferno.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Gilsham

@Rayeth said:

nopes, not using any resist gear on my monk in Inferno, have a 50% dodge rate and over 3k armour with the dex = armour passive if I don't dodge something I just use inv shield and heal up by attacking or using mantra of healing to speed it up, stacking armour is much easier than resists

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By murisan

I recommend it even in Hell. I'm on Act 2 with my wiz, and I have (I think) 40% resists across the board from armor. numerically, it's like ~170? and fire is 190? I've noticed that I'm not getting hit very hard. Feels like Nightmare, to be honest, except the damn elites and champions. Fucking invuln minions..

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By dillonwerner

Yes yes yes yes yes! I cannot stress how important this stuff is on Inferno mode.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By coaxmetal

I don't know about in general but on a monk it sure is. get the one passive skill that makes all your resistances the same as the highest one and then get a bunch shit that buffs one of them (I picked lightning). I now have 50% resistance to everything including phys.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

In Inferno yea sure, some classes need resist gear.

On Hell I wouldn't bother.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

I upped my resists to over 300 on average before taking a break from Diablo III. Sitting at 45k HP/300+ Resi/40% Armor Mitigation/20k DPS (57k buffed).

Didn't try Act II with it (slogged through to Belial once, that's enough from Act II Inferno for me), but Act I definitely got a whole lot easier upping resists from around 100 to 300+. Guess I could easily get over 500 Resi @ 60k HP without losing any DPS, if I had enough cash.

I'd first get All Resi on Boots, Belt, Chest, Shoulders - since those slots don't really support offensive stats for the most parts. Also be sure to go for +50-70 Resi per piece and not any lower.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By buft

Just got my first butcher kill last night have between 250-350 resists with my warcry up and with 9k armor, makes my life a whole lot easier as a barb, much less damage on each hit for sure.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

If you're playing a melee it's absolutely necessary to stack resist to live in Inferno; if you're playing a ranged then you don't really need to bother because everything will oneshot you in the later acts of Inferno anyway.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer  Online

@Gilsham said:

@Rayeth said:

nopes, not using any resist gear on my monk in Inferno, have a 50% dodge rate and over 3k armour with the dex = armour passive if I don't dodge something I just use inv shield and heal up by attacking or using mantra of healing to speed it up, stacking armour is much easier than resists

Have you cleared Act II Inferno with only 3k Armor and no resists?

Also stacking just one of either Armor or Resists is pointless since you're subject to diminishing returns. 3k Armor in Act II will net you about 50% mitigation. 6k Armor will increase your mitigation to about 66%. However, combining an equivalent 300 Resist with your 3k Armor results in an overall mitigation of 75%.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Robot_Moses

I can only speak as a Barbarian, but resists are absolutely mandatory for the end of Hell and all of Inferno if you want to be able to go toe to toe with the monsters.

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Enigmatical

As a fellow Barbarian, I have seen the light of All Resist gear in Inferno. I don't even -look- at a piece of gear unless it's got some All Resist on it.

Sitting in unbuffed at 400 before Act 2, need a bit more before I'll stand a chance.

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nonapod

OK I started Inferno this weekend and I'm certainly convinced that I need a bunch more resistance to survive the various champ packs.

I have a couple questions that I hope people can answer.:

1. Regarding Intellect: Is it true that 1 point of Int = 1 point in every resistance? If so, does it not make that "all resistance" stat a little redundant? I assume all resistance has a lower stat budget than Int due to Int also being of great benefit to Wizards and Witchdoctors.

2. Regarding monster levels: Does anybody have any clue as to what level the mobs in Inferno are? I've heard competing things, that they're all 63 or that there's a mix of 60s, 61s, 62s, and 63s or are that champions and bosses 63 (Level is significant when considering this chart).

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WMWA
    @Nonapod I believe it's every two points of int for one point resist. Made my life easier when I found that out. Makes settling on a lower resist all item preferable with a high int rating too. And cheaper than the really high resist all items
    NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NyxFe

As a monk it is pretty much imperative. I'm sitting at ~800 all resists, 6800 armour buffed, 45% reduction to enemy damage, and I still get slammed for over 7k damage by certain white mobs, let alone bad champ combinations.

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nonapod

@wmaustin55: Thanks. That makes more sense then. Although I've noticed that bizarrely all other things being equal people tend to value the resist all stat more than Int at 60. For example you have a Helm with 112 Dex, 98 Vit, 23 all resistances, and a socket it will tend to sell more than one with 112 Dex, 98 Vit, 46 Int , and a socket. Perhaps that is due to simply a general lack of knowledge on the part of the player base.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ichthy

10 int = 1 resist all iirc

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.