Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

this game is coming to playstation???

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By living4theday258

I'm not sure if this is old news or if it was just announced or something but I saw this when I started up StarCraft II

No Caption Provided

anyone know anything about this? Or am I just out of the loop these days?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By pr1mus

It was announced an hour ago during the PS4 event.

Coming to both PS3 and 4.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh i didnt watch the whole thing. i saw just enough to see the Killzone and InFamous previews.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah...its cool and all but when they brought Blizzard out I lost it. Having it just be Diablo 3 was kinda deflating. Not sure what I was expecting, Starcraft: Ghost would have blown my pants off but that's a pipe dream.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I guess that's ok. Seems like it would be fine on there.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh i didnt watch the whole thing. i saw just enough to see the Killzone and InFamous previews.

You missed Destiny. You're insane.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@thesoutherndandy said:

Yeah...its cool and all but when they brought Blizzard out I lost it. Having it just be Diablo 3 was kinda deflating. Not sure what I was expecting, Starcraft: Ghost would have blown my pants off but that's a pipe dream.

This is exactly how I felt.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I would hope the staggering decline in the playerbase shows at least some diminishing faith in Blizzard's omnipotent branding but D3 will probably still sell pretty well. To be fair there aren't really any good Diablo 2 clones on consoles so D3 is as good a one as any to have; but who knows if there's a widespread appeal.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

Really strange news. This game isn't a powerhouse and many rigs can run it, I don't see why someone would choose a mouse heavy ARPG on the console over a PC. Plus, the game is just disappointing anyway, and it's going on a year old, hardly anyone plays on PC, why would there be more on PS? It doesn't have the timelessness that D2 has. It's turned into a profit scheme for bots via the auction house.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: A comp from 2004 can run Diablo 3 well; which is actually quite impressive and by far the best quality of the game; but yes doesn't really make sense as a PS4 game (though it makes plenty of sense as a PS3 game).

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

One real thing that I would find interesting is if ps3/ps4 players will be able to play with PC people.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I got one am very excited for direct control. It boggles my mind that the PC version doesn't support controllers!

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Some people (like myself) vastly prefer controllers over mouse and keyboard.

I'm finally excited to try my first Diablo. I've always been interested in the series, I've just never wanted to try it without controller support.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

Really strange news. This game isn't a powerhouse and many rigs can run it, I don't see why someone would choose a mouse heavy ARPG on the console over a PC. Plus, the game is just disappointing anyway, and it's going on a year old, hardly anyone plays on PC, why would there be more on PS? It doesn't have the timelessness that D2 has. It's turned into a profit scheme for bots via the auction house.

Well outside of Dungeon Hunters: Alliance, which is playable at best, and that RUIN?! game that so far seems to be MIA; the ARPG genre on the PS3 and 360 have been a wasteland. I really don't know why that genre kinda died on console considering the PS2 saw some really good ARPG games.

I also don't think they will do a straight out port of the PC version. I will assume they will few changes that will be tailored to the console. Getting an ARPG to work on a console, from a gameplay perspective, is not that problem. Other games have clearly demonstrated that ARPG's on console can be done, and done very well. t's really a matter of control preferences The real problem with the console versions will be the AH. Unless Sony relented and gave them full control over the AH.

The real "advantage" I can see for a console version of D3 is that it most likely won't need that dumb "always online" DRM the PC version has. Doing that on a console would prevent a huge chunk of the user base that's not even connected and will just be too much trouble then it's worth for Sony and Blizzard.

I guess time will tell.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai: Well they'd still have to make the itemization not suck.

@choffy: Should've played: http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-Sega-Dreamcast/dp/B000038AAW/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1361458311&sr=1-1&keywords=diablo+ps1

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai

@fredchuckdave: Well if they completely leave the AH out of the console version then the itemization system will most likely be revamped. However, if they somehow make AH work on consoles then they probably leave the system as is.

Speaking of. I really wonder how they will handle the AH if at all. Personally I can see them doing AH on console by having you make a blizzard account, or use your already existing account, and tying your PS3 to that account and just have the AH as a separated app. I guess that way they can also implement some sort of online verification because I really don't see them making that alway online DRM the PC version has on consoles.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

I hope the AH isn't in the PS3/4 version. That ruined the game for me because I was no longer interested in loot, only money to buy more loot from the AH.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JZ

It's got an offline mode

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They're making a 4th PlayStation, too. Cool, eh?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Yeah, I would hope the staggering decline in the playerbase shows at least some diminishing faith in Blizzard's omnipotent branding but D3 will probably still sell pretty well. To be fair there aren't really any good Diablo 2 clones on consoles so D3 is as good a one as any to have; but who knows if there's a widespread appeal.

Torchlight is on 360. Not PS3, but it's a console, and I'm sure that you could probably dig up something if you tried.

@xyzygy said:

Nonsense, I don't think that it would be hard to map movements and actions to a controller. You could just dedicate one button to use (for talking to people), a d-pad button for quick health, another d-pad button for quick mana, and then you've got the rest of the controller to map stuff to. That's two other d-pad directions, two analog stick clicks, three other face buttons, and four shoulder buttons.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like it would be an okay fit, but the PC version will still be obviously where it's at.

And is it true no one plays it in PC anymore like you guys are saying? =/

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@believer258: Torchlight 2 isn't. Borderlands is on either if you want to get technical, as is Sacred 2; there's several but Diablo 3 is a marquee name even if it isn't a marquee product so it might actually generate interest from the console-only crowd. Ports that are 8 months late don't count, therefore neither Torchlight nor Diablo 3 will ever exist on consoles, I am reprieved.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's already sold 10 million, is there really a significant player base out there who hasen't played it?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gaff

Yeah, the announcement was a bit of a disappointment...

But still: if Activision Blizzard really is the money grubbing corporation it is, it will find a way to hook PSN up to Battle.net to take advantage of the Real Money Auction House, which will lead to some interesting possibilities for future Battle.net titles.

Then again, whatever happened to PSN and Steamworks?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rasmoss said:

It's already sold 10 million, is there really a significant player base out there who hasen't played it?

This is probably more about Blizzard tipping their toe back into the console pool than trying to sell a game. Makes me wonder what their expectations are. If the sales of D3 on the PS3 and PS4 are going to dictate further development on Sony's platform, they better just pack their bags now and head back to PC land. This game will tank. Hard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.