Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Digital: A Love Story

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 04, 2010

Set in 1988, the player assumes the role of a youth armed only with an "Amie" Workbench PC and a 14k modem. Dial into BBSs, fall in love, and possibly save the new internet.

digital a love story is not a good game

• 50 results
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By VisariLoyalist

why? because I'm completely stuck and there's absolutely nothing I can find to finish this game

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VisariLoyalist

yes I've done that but I'm still stuck, I've also pm'ed everyone i can find but still nothing is happening

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

can someone just spoil it for me and tell me why they cried at the end?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

I tried to play it today too and got stuck. I don't get it. 

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Guyzea said:
    " Just Read & Reply. Everything... "
    Seriously. This is all there is to it. I don't understand why people are getting stuck... the more complicated parts come later in the game.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463

Ya I tried it too after hearing the podcast, and I just hit a wall when I replied to everything and sent all the messages I could and nothing was happening. After logging on/off the BSS about 10 times and nothing happening I said fuck it and alt -f4ed back to the podcast.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VisariLoyalist
    @StarFoxA said:
    " @Guyzea said:
    Seriously. This is all there is to it. I don't understand why people are getting stuck... the more complicated parts come later in the game. "
    I've literally gone to every bbs available to me at this point and checked that i've replied to everything, pm'd everyone and I still have nothing to show for it, I also have a password for the underground library that doesn't work
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StarFoxA
    @VisariLoyalist said:
    " @StarFoxA said:
    " @Guyzea said:
    Seriously. This is all there is to it. I don't understand why people are getting stuck... the more complicated parts come later in the game. "
    I've literally gone to every bbs available to me at this point and checked that i've replied to everything, pm'd everyone and I still have nothing to show for it, I also have a password for the underground library that doesn't work "
    If I remember correctly, just add one to the last digit of the Underground Library password (it gave you a hint earlier, where it said there was a flaw in the automatic password generation system that the Underground Library uses).
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VisariLoyalist
    @StarFoxA said:
    " @VisariLoyalist said:
    " @StarFoxA said:
    " @Guyzea said:
    I've literally gone to every bbs available to me at this point and checked that i've replied to everything, pm'd everyone and I still have nothing to show for it, I also have a password for the underground library that doesn't work "
    If I remember correctly, just add one to the last digit of the Underground Library password (it gave you a hint earlier, where it said there was a flaw in the automatic password generation system that the Underground Library uses). "
    this is the sort of shit that makes this game to hardcore almost like myst which i also hate
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StarFoxA
    @VisariLoyalist: You got farther than my friend made it before getting stuck. He couldn't figure out what to do before even getting to the Matrix.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Driadon

Man, if you think this is complicated, then stay as far away from games like Uplink as you possibly can.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VisariLoyalist
    @StarFoxA: also your suggestion didn't work for me (probably my fault) seriously I'm done with this shit though
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By shirogane

i couldn't take all the backwards and forward through the BBS. Especially with the modem sound. There's only so many times i can hear that sound in a matter of a minute without going insane.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By NickL

seriously i just finished this game in 2 hours and never got stuck once, the only place i can think someone would get stuck is logging into the underground and thats only if they decide not to read what the messages say
    (if you reply to everyone open the messages box just in case, i somehow missed a message once but that only took me 15 seconds to figure out)

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VisariLoyalist
    @Shirogane said:
    " i couldn't take all the backwards and forward through the BBS. Especially with the modem sound. There's only so many times i can hear that sound in a matter of a minute without going insane. "
    also sooooo much typing random numbers, although i suppose for people who are old enough to remember computers like that there's some sort of nostalgia to it but not for me
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NickL
    @Shirogane said:
    " i couldn't take all the backwards and forward through the BBS. Especially with the modem sound. There's only so many times i can hear that sound in a matter of a minute without going insane. "
    @VisariLoyalist said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    also sooooo much typing random numbers, although i suppose for people who are old enough to remember computers like that there's some sort of nostalgia to it but not for me "
    yes i agree, i realize it had the nostalgia factor, but after 30 minutes of it the only thing pushing me forward was the promise of a good ending (which i thought was very overrated and saw it coming from a mile away)
    Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lautaro

Did I hear correctly in the podcast that Paul Barnett said this game would take 8 minutes? Or was he referring to something else.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By sgjackson

I also got stuck at the underground factory password, but the hint for that IS in the game. Just know going in that you do have to pay attention to all the weird computer stuff, because it serves a purpose at some point. The rest of it didn't give me a problem.

I'll happily admit the end of this made me cry. I didn't think it was perfect, I even saw the ending coming, but the realization I'd have to dial in one last time...fuck. That did me in.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Lautaro: It's a couple hours long, even if you know what you're doing it would take around 30 minutes.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jkz

Yeah, I could see the ending from a mile away, but it was still really well done, and I enjoyed most of my time playing with it, since it was, in essence a logic puzzle with an interestingly told story.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#22  Edited By Soap

The ending was completely illogical. There was a very obvious solution that was completely ignored :/

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lautaro
    @Soap said: 

" The ending was completely illogical. There was a very obvious solution that was completely ignored :/ "

What's the obvious solution?    
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By JCTango
    @Shirogane:   You can mute the modem sound using the control panel button on the top right corner - that's what I did after the first time I heard that loud modem sound heh.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#25  Edited By Soap
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone help me.  

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By damodar

Yeah, I didn't really get why the didn't do that either, Soap. 

I still enjoyed it though, it's like uplink lite and the story, even though a bit predictable, is still fairly bittersweet. 

I'm not old enough to ever have dialed in to a bbs etc so I don't have the nostalgia, but I still found it fascinating to find out more about how that stuff actually worked. Kinda wanna watch War Games again now :P 

Some of the random non story related posts are good too, like the TNG stuff and the Office Space reference.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kinarion

If you're not able to get through it, there are walk-throughs available online.  Try google.   

Also, you may not be cut out for puzzle or adventure games.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By C2C
    @Manhattan_Project said:
    " Someone help me.  "

I was a bit letdown with this game.  Uplink probably spoiled me when it came to navigating similar stuff, but doing much of anything in Digital: A Love Story felt like a chore.  I know that the story is the main draw here, but when something is lauded as GOTY material I expect the game mechanics to actually be kinda enjoyable : / 
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By ventilaator
    @Driadon said:

" Man, if you think this is complicated, then stay as far away from games like Uplink as you possibly can. "

I absolutely love Uplink

I got stuck at this game as well. 

As a game, this thing is a completely idiotic piece of shit that's full of "gameplay" "mechanics" that exist solely to pad out the length (YOUR LONG DISTANCE NUMBERS DON'T WORK ANYMORE, GET 12 NEW ONES, ONE OF THEM WORKS YOU HAVE TO TRY THEM ALL)

And as a story it's kind of okay, I guess. When I got to the point I was supposed to cry at I was already so completely done with the "gameplay" that I was happy to see it end, so crying wasn't really an option.

Not since Donnie Darko have I been so confused by the popularity and reputation of a thing.
    Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Feser
    @Soap:
    It is very likely that the charactors just didn't consider that. (I haven't played the game).
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By StarFoxA
    @C2C: Actually, the fixes for Amie errors that you get emailed... I think it was called something like sdlib... instructs you to reboot you computer. If you reboot it when it says it does, it prevents the whole "computer crash" thing. 
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By C2C
    @StarFoxA: I just had the biggest self-facepalm moment, cause I remember getting that a while before the the crash and wondering, "huh, I dunno what to do with this."  Gah, couldn't put two-and-two together :P
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nasar7

I also dl'ed this game two days ago and managed to beat it in an hour or so without getting stuck. It's not hard, just make sure to actually read the messages, don't just skim them.  

What I loved about this game was the lack of hand-holding and puzzle-solving elements.  I just got the Uplink trial, any other games like this?

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By VisariLoyalist
    @Kinarion said:
    " If you're not able to get through it, there are walk-throughs available online.  Try google.    Also, you may not be cut out for puzzle or adventure games. "
    i've looked for walkthroughs nothing comes up other than viral news stories about it
    Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kinarion
    anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#37  Edited By anarchyzombie9

I made it through the game in one sitting with no help. COME AT ME BRO

Colf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Colf

I beat the game and I would tell you to not waste your time but it seems most of you all ready have. The game is okay but really the plot can be summed up with 2-3 sentences. "Dude falls in love with an AI but a virus is loose, killing all the AIs. She, and ONLY she is the only one able to stop the virus but she must be sacrificed. You then make the easy choice of killing her (she's an artificial intelligence, seriously) so that uh something?"

The game ends when you sacrifice her and it is not clear why it was important. There is no ending and it never explains why it was so important to keep the AI(s) alive or why stopping the virus was so important. 

Also the game tries to get you to feel sad about the destruction of chat bots. Seriously. (The main character, you in this case, falls in love with a chat bot.) Am I missing something? The game did not seem that good to me.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#39  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Driadon said:
    " Man, if you think this is complicated, then stay as far away from games like Uplink as you possibly can. "
    Delete the logs. Always delete the fucking logs!
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By mrfizzy
    @VisariLoyalist said:
    " @StarFoxA said:
    " @Guyzea said:
    this is EXACTLY where im up to. i too am totally stuck. 
    wandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wandel
    @Colf: You didn't notice at how the end, any BBS you connected to had been corrupted by the virus? We can't have that, now can we?
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By C2C

After thinking about this game for a while, I think that Digital: A Love Story absolutely hinges on how you feel on its storytelling.  As a visual novel, there is little to no gameplay and its story is novel at best.   Given how brief the game is though, the story is fine as is.

The storytelling is really what people should be looking forward to since, as strictly a game, it is not good. 

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kazona

Finished the game, wasn't impressed; neither the story nor the game itself had much of an appeal.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By triple07

Edit: Nevermind figured it out. You have to reply to EVERYONE.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RE_Player1

I must be an idiot because I swear I replied to everyone and figured out The Underground Library password but it doesn't work? Can someone reply to me so I know I'm doing it right? 

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kyle
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " I must be an idiot because I swear I replied to everyone and figured out The Underground Library password but it doesn't work? Can someone reply to me so I know I'm doing it right?  "
    I don't remember the specifics, but there's something that tells you that the kind of password it is gets changed every time you use it, but only by increasing the last digit by 1, so every time you use it, you have to increase it by 1.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cloudenvy

I really liked it to be honest. 

No, it isn't a good game and its story isn't that great. 

But the way it tells its story and how connected I felt to Emilia made me like this "game" a whole damn lot.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#48  Edited By MormonWarrior

The only part I got stuck at is getting into the Underground Library. Just switch the code you were given with the last number one higher, and you'll get in. You have to do that a few times.

Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By Cathadan
    @StarFoxA:  I still don't understand how I was supposed to "reboot" the amie. I got all that junk going on and just suffered through it, finishing the game that way, even through the credits.

Also, like the OP, I got stuck at some point. Read everything, clicked everything, twice even. Went to a walkthrough, it didn't help much except to provide me with numbers for the final board which I had no way of getting. Finished the game without seeing whatever would have led me to that number.
    Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Chirag4
    @C2C said:
    " After thinking about this game for a while, I think that Digital: A Love Story absolutely hinges on how you feel on its storytelling.  As a visual novel, there is little to no gameplay and its story is novel at best.   Given how brief the game is though, the story is fine as is. The storytelling is really what people should be looking forward to since, as strictly a game, it is not good.  "
    So, what you're saying is, it's story as a visual novel is novel?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.